Start by marking “The Last Breath” as Want to Read:
The Last Breath

The Last Breath

(Breathless #1)

Loss is not foreign in the life of Julia Barnett. To the outside world she is the epitome of the perfect mom that is until the doors of her perfect life are closed and real life hits her square in the face. With an absentee husband, an intrusive father, a troubled child and an ex-fiancé that is tied to her life, no wonder Julia is grasping for air in her very full and clut ...more
Kindle Edition
Published November 2017 by Leigh Lennon

To ask other readers questions about The Last Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Breath

Start your review of The Last Breath
Michelle Krystel
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Arc provided by author for honest review. I was really nervous to read this book. As leigh has become a friend. I have to say when leigh told me it was sad story. I thought ok I've read sad before, carnage by Lesley Jones and still by Kennedy Ryan. The last breath though has got to be one of the saddist books I ever read. This book is so damn deep. I've cried though most of it. Now as for characters I was really upset by a lot of there decisions mostly Dean and Joe. When Dean started down spiral ...more
Paulette
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book defines the phrase, “ Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans”.
Just ask Jules, Dean, Joe, Lexi, Kenny, Josie, Kyle, Stacey, Olivia and Dinah…

I’ve tried multiple times to do this review so it would do the book justice. I read the book and took an evening and overnight to process what I read to see where I could start. I'm going to start by saying my opening line says so much and so little about this book.
This is a story that includes several individuals. However, this
V. Theia
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 blubbering stars

I don't want to say too much about the plot of this story, let you go in blind like I did.

However, it's a beautifully written family saga, focusing on Julia and all the people who come and go through her life.

It's a book depicted throughout a life, starting with Julia and childhood sweetheart Dean, and it didn't go where I thought it would go for these two. Leigh is great at misdirection.

Man, the things that happened in this story. And I'm a great believer in that "What If"
Jo-Anne Joseph
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then you come across a story that pulls at your heart strings in just the right way. This was that kind of story. A story that makes you feel and experience so much of human emotion that it leaves you spent. It is beautifully written. She touches on subjects of a sensitive nature yet does so in such an amazing way. She understands the raw emotion of grief, sadness, love and hope so well and for this it has earned a five star. It is so different from her previous books but is a stan ...more
Jenny Prose
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book should be sold with a box of tissues!

I was honored to read this incredibly heartfelt story that's about love and loss in such a human way that we all relate to the characters. The story is an incredible journey about two people who are completely and utterly in love with each other until loss tears them apart. That loss has a huge impact on them as people and continues to impact them as they grow and find love again.
The story is beautifully written and heart-wrenching emotional ride a
Lisa Marie Barrera
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! THE LAST BREATH left me a Blubbering Mess & will forever be my Heart and Soul. Leigh Lennon has left me SPEECHLESS & reading this Emotional Compassionate Story that had me Melting My Heart & Crying My Eyes Out!! I went into this book blind and didn't know what I was about to embark on or before prepared for. I knew it was going to be a sad story but I DID NOT SEE THIS COMING! I mean, I have read sad stories before but this took me on a WHOLE Different level.
At the beginn
Chelsea
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off this story is way different than most books I have been reading lately. It will leave you feeling all kind of emotions: sadness, anger small pieces of happiness. Mostly it just left me depressed. There is so much loss that will make you think can one person really go through this much loss in their lifetime? First we meet Julia and Dean their story is one of love and a loss that their relationship couldn't handle. Then Julia finally falls in love again with Joe just to have a marriage ...more
Cali Gals
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was a beautiful, emotional journey and it hasn’t let me go long after I finished. I have taken three weeks to write this review because I get choked up just thinking about it. In this story, you get full characters that are dealing with real-life situations in an authentic and believable way. Julia is the most heard voice and narrator but I love how different characters take the appropriate lead depending on the events occurring without causing confusion. Julia is one of the st ...more
Auden Dar
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE LAST BREATH is one of my favorite books of 2017! This heart-wrenching story took me on a adventure I was unprepared for. For the first half of the story, it read like a wonderful contemporary romance. And the second part of the story was a woman’s journey into the unknown. I can’t remember the last time I felt so close to a heroine before- maybe because Julia’s predicament had hit so close to home.

This stunning story by Leigh Lennon will make you believe that no matter the outcome, there wi
Stefanie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Last Breath is my first book by Leigh Lennon and I was blown away at how beautiful it was! The writing flowed smoothly between characters and was emotionally charged!! I absolutely loved it!!
I fell in love with Julia she was such a strong woman and carried everyone. Joe is a perfect fit for Julia and she needed someone to walk down the path with her. Dean just broke my heart, he couldn't let go and move on. So many scenes stayed with me, I kept picturing as the story unfold.
I went through
Debbie
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grabbed my heart and didn’t let go, not even days after finishing it!

This is a story of a family facing reality head-on and coming together to support one another. It is an intense and beautiful tear-jerker. Julia’s story definitely made me think about life and those things we know but sometimes don’t focus on because we have so much going on – enjoy each day, make memories as often as you can, and appreciate all that you have, including the people in your life. I loved that it was told in multi
Wendy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julia and Dean knew for years they would get married. They are in college and engaged when life brings them to their knees with a devastating blow. This tragedy tears them apart but brings Joe into Jules life. Life just won't give Jules a break though.

I have loved every one of Leigh Lennon's books that I have read so far. I knew going in that her books take you on an emotional ride but nothing prepared me for The Last Breath. I connected with this book on a personal level and sobbed through the
Jennifer Hevern
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not gonna lie, The Last Breath is a hard book to read. Why? It makes you think about EVERYTHING in life. Why do things happen? Can we learn from it? Is it worth moving on? Are the risks worth it? Is love worth it? This book is a deep study in life and how we touch others, learn from others and persevere. To me it was almost like a memoir. So incredibly poignant, moving and filled with love. I laughed, I cried, I got extremely pissed and I balled my eyes out. If you want a moving, emotional, ...more
Nicole Ortiz
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
First off I must say have tissues ready. This was a beautifully written novel about the life of Julia Barnett. It's an incredible heartfelt story of love and loss. Once I started reading this I was drawn into the story and the characters. Especially towards the end that I couldn't tear myself away from the story and left me in tears. Can't wait to read the next part of this story.
I received an ARC and volunteered to leave a review.
Penny Leidecker
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want to start by saying congratulations to Leigh Lennon for taking over the top spot of my favorite ugly cry books. This is a beautifully written, emotional book that will have you needing tissues. Julia was a beautifully written character and she will stay with you long after you read the end. I highly recommend this book and it will be hard to put down once you start. This is the first book I've read by her, but I look forward to reading more.
Melinda Workman
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was emotional and beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time. It left me crying in some parts. It is really a beautiful story with lots of emotions both up and down. Lots of reality woven into it. This is my first read by Leigh Lennon and it won't be my last! Have some tissues handy.
Sarah Gulyas
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God!!! I had a hard time connecting to this book in the beginning but the last 2chapters?? They gutted me. Absolutely. Gutted. Me. All the loss and devastation Julia dealt with...I just can't.

Such a beautiful story of friendship, love, loss, and redemption.

Then I went and read the acknowledgements, which is something I never do. It made me understand so much more.
Glynis Reads
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utter grief

At first I hated the glib way this book started but the more I read the more I too needed distance from the subject matter. I laughed , I cried and am utterly gutted by this story of love and loss and life goes on.
Annmarie
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Move over Nicholas Sparks!! You have nothing on Leigh Lennon! This is a very beautifully written and powerful book about Life, Love and Loss. It took my Breath away! All I can say is this book is a MUST READ!!
Sharon Bates
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great story but had me crying in some parts but would read it again once I can be brave enough later this year. Thank you for this it makes me appreciate what I have a.

Great story but made me cry at times and made me appreciate what I have in my life always x
Shannon
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful emotionally driven read.
LaTonya
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-own, ugly-cry
Such a beautiful heart wrenching story
Tina
Prissy Ofosu-Agyei
Sep 25, 2019
Vicky BookLady
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book touched my heart especially with Julia & Dean... if u haven't read this book, make sure u have boxes of Kleenex with you. Can't wait till book 2 comes out!!! ...more
Shelly
Nov 25, 2017
Nancy George
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gut wrenching story. But through it all you can see what Julia keeps telling everyone. Sometimes the journey is the best part of the destination. Always make memories. These are lessons that I try to remember everyday. This book will break your heart but when you sit back to think on it there is a beautiful story that needed to be told. Thank you for a wonderful book Leigh.
Bob
Jan 12, 2018
New Adult Book Club: #45/18 The Last Breath by Leigh Lennon 5 24 Jun 13, 2018 03:07PM

• Prelude (The Interlude Duet, #1)
  • Interlude (The Interlude Duet, #2)
  • Stay (Odd Jobs #1)
  • Love Notes  (The Austens, #4)
  • The Haunting of James Hastings
  • The Life We Wanted
  • One Special Moment
Leigh Lennon is mother, veteran and a wife of a cancer survivor. Originally with a degree in education, she started writing as an outlet that has led to a deep passion. She lugs her computer with her as she crafts her next story. One could say she loves pretty nails, big earrings and spiky hair. She can be found drinking coffee or wine, depending on the time of the day.

Breathless (2 books)
  • Continue Breathing (The Breathless Series Book 2)