Start by marking “The Descent of Monsters (Tensorate, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Descent of Monsters (Tensorate, #3)

The Descent of Monsters

(Tensorate #3)

JY Yang continues to redefine the limits of silkpunk fantasy with their Tensorate novellas, which the New York Times lauded as "joyously wild." In this third volume, an investigation into atrocities committed at a classified research facility threaten to expose secrets that the Protectorate will do anything to keep hidden.

You are reading this because I am dead.

Something te
Published July 31st 2018 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Descent of Monsters, please sign up.
Dana It would not be ideal. As Greg mentioned, major characters from the previous novellas are featured, but also understanding the setting, creatures,…moreIt would not be ideal. As Greg mentioned, major characters from the previous novellas are featured, but also understanding the setting, creatures, magic system, and politics involved may be important for understanding what's happening in this story. It is not a direct continuous story, and the main character in each book is news, but context is very important and you'll be missing out.(less)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, arc, year-2018
Out of the three Tensorate novellas I have read, this one is definitely my favorite.

The set up of this novel is a bit different from the first two, expounding on the monster hunting story line established in The Red Threads of Fortune. This one, however, is set up mostly in the form of letters/transcriptions of diaries/official reports.

I feel as though this mode of storytelling is particularly well suited to Yang's writing style.

In the past two books, I've struggled a bit with feeling as thoug
Bradley
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy
This novella goes the epistolary format in a big way. Very enjoyable to me! :)

This time we get a harried and *hat upon investigator who is given no support from her superiors. Big surprise, right? But she's still required to figure out what happened to the boneyard that is the focus of this novella. Experimentation, a half naga-raptor monster, and of course... TWINS are involved. :)

Maybe this series ought to be called the Twinsorate. :)

What we don't get in sheer description or straightforward p
Acqua
3.5 stars.

The Descent of Monsters is the third novella in the silpunk fantasy series Tensorate. It does not follow the twins anymore, not directly, and it's told completely through letters, parts of diaries and reports.

I didn't like this novella as much as the first two books, for two main reasons: the format, and the main character.
One of the things I liked the most about the first two books was the atmosphere, especially the description of the setting. Because of the format, I didn't get many
Shaun Hutchinson
The format was a little more difficult to get into than the previous novellas, and made the story a little more impersonal, but it was still wonderful and I enjoyed it immensely.
kari
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite Tensorate novella so far: the prose is smoother and more elegant than in the previous installments, the plot tight, and, most importantly, Yang skillfully pulled off a challenging narrative structure of scattered fragments and documents. It's just so good and bold and chilling.
K.J. Charles
Aug 26, 2018 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Another cracking novella in the Asian-fantasy-rooted Tensorate world. These really are terrific; when will we get a novel expanding on it all? (she says greedily). This one is creepy, vivid, super immersive, and opens out the sinister world in a fascinating way while updating us on the MCs of the first books. Also, the covers are just absurdly good. Terrific.
imyril
Not my favourite Tensorate novella - while I liked the conceit of telling the story through investigative notes, correspondence and diary entries, I found they kept me at arm's length, reducing the tension. I love this world and this story is intriguing, but I found I wanted more context for our Investigator (we see her become a rebel, but never understand why she was an Investigator, or how a Tensor ended up married to a pirate!)

Full review to follow.
Ana
Perhaps my least favourite in the series. Not a fan of the letter/report format either, not with this kind of story and worldbuilding. There’s something limiting in having one character recounting only things she/he/they witness. You can’t help but feel there’s something you’re missing or not fully experiencing. Plus, the ending was a bit predictable in an every-rebellion-needs-its-martyrs kind of way, and the new main character was one-dimensional.

I am quite sad that I cannot rate this higher.
Lucille
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have CHILLS
This was amazing, I liked the first two novellas a lot, the second even more, but THIS ONE topped them in a way I wasn't even expecting.
Though they're a whole, a series, and I wouldn't have enjoyed this one without the worldbuilding being set in the previous ones and the background characters present here.
I love how JY Yang managed to change things up in this third instalment with the format of letters, reports and journal entries.
I also LOVE Chuwan and can't wait for everyone to m
Stephanie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I NEED A SEQUEL REAL BAD

All of these novellas are so lovely and SO different from each other. It’s awesome.

My only confusion was Akeha’s pronouns- I was sure they were a “He” in previous books? Either I misinterpreted the first 2 or I missed a change, So clearly I need to reread them.
Dawn Christoffersen
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Oh this was brilliant and so engaging. I have to praise Yang for keeping the Tensorate stories fresh with new perspectives, as this time we follow the investigation into a tragic event that happened at a research facility through a variety of reports and personal letters. It brings something new to the stories and work really well as a means to tell us more about the characters connected to Akeha, Mokoya, Rider, and the others we’ve met. I can’t wait for the fourth book now!

Eta: Yang confirmed t
Corey White
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Took me a little while to get into the story because of the Found Materials format, but once I got past that it was a brilliant read. Expertly woven together, and expands the scope of the world even further. Can't wait for book 4!
Bart
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, fantasy
Actual rating: 3.75
Nikki
Reviewed for The Bibliophibian.

The first two books (The Red Threads of Fortune and The Black Tides of Heaven) introduce you to a world and a setting without making it essential to have read the other book first (though personally, I would read Black Tides first anyway). I found that by contrast, The Descent of Monsters was very much settled within that now existing framework, and relied on prior knowledge of the other two novellas to orientate you and help you understand who means what to whom a
Kaa
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is so brilliant. The Descent of Monsters is very different stylistically than the first two, both of which were very different from each other, but all three stories have been incredibly creative and well-written. This episode is told exclusively through written documentation of the investigation into a gruesome incident, which provides an interesting framing for the events and revelations that follow. The ending left me very, very impatient for book 4 in January.
Joshua
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I haven't read the first two books in this series (YET!), and while I know the plot of each book is self-contained, I feel like there was some setting information I'm missing out on, like the basic political set-up and what "slack" and "slackcraft" are. Nevertheless, the setting as shown is incredibly cool and fascinating, and the weird wonderfulness of it is nicely contrasted by the prosaic speech of the characters. Now I absolutely need to read the first two books, because this world and its p ...more
Christina Pilkington
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Where this series shines is its world building. JY has created a unique world that fascinates me every time I read this series. I really liked the combination of mystery with fantasy in Descent of Monsters and the way the story is told mostly through letters. Overall, my favorite book in this series.
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent addition to the Tensorate series. I love the world that Yang has created as well as the characters. Each novella is told from a different point of view -- this variance adds a lot of richness to the stories. Looking forward to another release in this series later this year.
Eric
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Book no.4 isn't out for a few months yet, though I have read its first few chapters. The first three books have been terrific.
ambyr
It's epistolary fiction with outsider point of view: two of my favorite tropes. Add in the deft beginning effort to knot together threads (some of which I'd thought abandoned forever) from previous volumes, and of course I was hooked. I can't wait to see what Yang does next.
Psyche Ready
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've dearly loved each book in this series, but this was the most exciting, action-packed, and compelling of all three. I strongly recommend all of them to those who love fantasy and science fiction, and characters with mysterious, magical gifts for manipulating reality.

The third book is different from the first two primarily in that it's like an X-Files narrative: spooky terrible things have happened underground, and it is up to a gang of resourceful misfits to use their strange gifts to find T
enricocioni
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This one felt a bit rushed. Some important moments--investigation findings, key encounters--are summarised in the form of bullet-point lists, when it would have been so much more satisfying for them to get the extended, leisurely treatment they deserved. Also, past the first third, the novella's antagonists fade into a largely absent, nebulous threat, which never felt wholly real, taking away from the moments of peak tension and drama, and making the climax feel unearned. Plus there's the usual ...more
Claire Hall
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I like that Yang keeps switching up their style. This book is entirely in the form of materials written by the characters -- letters, diary entries, official reports, etc. -- and it effectively builds a mystery and surrounding intrigue. I give it 3 stars because I wasn't really emotionally invested in the characters, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a well-crafted story. There were little questions I had throughout (view spoiler) ...more
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Like the other novellas in this series, I absolutely adore Yang's world-building and characters. They weave so many layers into a mere 170 pages--this world feels so deeply real, with such a complicated and violate history (and present). But unlike the fist two Tensorate novellas, this one didn't feel quite as whole and cohesive to me. It felt rushed, and more like an info dump than a story in its own right. Possibly because of the way it was written (a collection of journal entires, letters, re ...more
Elowen
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Tensorate series is one of my favourites, and this installment did not disappoint. It is written in a format different from the first two books: the story is told in letters, investigation reports and diary entries. At first I wasn't sure I'd get into the story just as much as I did with the first two novellas, but fortunately I was wrong, and I think this is mostly thanks to point of view character, Sariman. This novella is expertly written and tells the story with just the right amount of ...more
Alexia Cambaling
J.Y. Yang has done it again. Their Tensorate series of novellas has quickly become one of my favorites and I was glad to see it continue with The Descent of Monsters. I’m finally all caught up in the series and ready for The Ascent to Godhood.

One of the best things about The Descent of Monsters is that it brings in something new to the series. However, I’d like to repeat that while it can stand on its own, it’s best enjoyed after having read The Black Tides of Heaven and The Red Threads of Fortu
Rick Brose
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am absolutely in love with this world, and The Descent of Monsters is the best of the series so far. The story is told through diary entries, excerpts of interviews, and notes from an investigation surrounding an incident at a Protectorate facility. It is perfectly paced and builds out the Tensorate world in heart stopping ways. The more I learn about the characters, the slack, and the tapestry of life around it all, the more I want to know. Yang has a deft hand at world building and story tel ...more
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
Review pending.
Jordan
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Okay. So that ending. Way to leave me needing the next one now. But I loved the epistolary style this one was done in.
Lily
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh man this one's tough. 3.5 stars? 4? I've no idea. Review to come!
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • City of Strife (City of Spires, #1)
  • Not So Stories
  • The Mystic Marriage (Alpennia, #2)
  • Caroline's Heart
  • The Black God's Drums
  • Bending the Landscape: Fantasy
  • The Underwater Ballroom Society
  • A Taste of Honey
  • The Drowning Eyes
  • A Tyranny of Queens (Manifold Worlds, #2)
  • The Terracotta Bride
  • Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time
  • Meanwhile, Elsewhere: Science Fiction and Fantasy from Transgender Writers
  • The Kissing Booth Girl and Other Stories
  • Fairs' Point (Astreiant, #4)
  • How Long 'til Black Future Month?
  • Passing Strange
JY Yang is the author of the Tensorate series of novellas from Tor.Com Publishing (The Red Threads of Fortune, The Black Tides of Heaven, and two more slated for 2018 and 2019). Their short fiction has been published in over a dozen venues, including Uncanny Magazine, Lightspeed, Clarkesworld, and Strange Horizons.

In previous incarnations, they have been a molecular biologist; a writer for animati

Tensorate (4 books)
  • The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
  • The Red Threads of Fortune (Tensorate #2)
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
“Where there was a jungle of fear and uncertainty, there shall be the shape of hidden things revealed. Where there were storms of lies, there will be truth.” 1 likes