Start by marking “Where I Found You (Sea, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where I Found You (Sea, #1)

Where I Found You

(Sea #1)

After her mother's plane went missing over the Indian Ocean, seventeen-year-old Sienna Jones gave up everything she loved about living in California. No more surfing. No more swimming. No more ocean, period. Playing it safe, hiding from the world, is the best call.

Until her dad throws down the challenge of a lifetime: spend the summer with his humanitarian team in Indones
Published December 4th 2017 by Entangled Teen (first published June 10th 2010)

Heidi
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
What I Learned From This Book

1. A book takes a long time to write.

2. Most of writing is revising.

3. I'm grateful and happy I have a book coming out.

4. I hope people like it.

My rating system: A star for each year I worked on SEA: 2005-2010. =)
Kristy
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The seaweed is always greener in sombody else's lake, you dream about going up there but that is a big mistake. Just look at the world around you, right here on the ocean floor. Under the sea......."

And, here we have yet another book that 100% shocked me...
I thought this was going to be either:
a: a retelling of 'The little mermaid'
b: a cheesy love story envolving the ocean
c: or a combo of both

But, this was not even remotely any of those. This book was not really even about the ocean.
Sienna, a f
Nic
"I wanted to tell him that you can meet someone and they can change your life forever, even if you have only known him for a short while, that when you leave, you're a different person than before you meet him....."

This is the story of Sienna who's mother disappeared in a plane crash overseas when doing relief work 3 years ago. Sienna is still greiving the loss of her mother and is haunted by nightmares. For her 15th birthday her Dad gives her a plane ticket to go to Indonesia to do relief work
D.M.
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sienna stopped living the day her mother died. She stopped loving everything and became distant from the life she once knew. On her birthday her dad gives her the opportunity to turn her life around and get back on track with her dreams. Her dream was to follow in her parents footsteps, but this is what lead to her mothers unfortunate departure. Sienna has to find the courage to find herself again and she could find so much more.

Where I found you takes us into a world many people can't even ima
Whitney Atkinson
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Very different from anything I've read! I only knocked a star off because it was a little bit angsty.
Erica
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Heidi R Kling has written a breath-taking debut with Sea! Readers are plunged head first into a heartbreaking story of loss, hope, and new experiences. Sea is a book that speaks to everyone, but everyone can take something a little different away.

Sea is a touching story that helps a person connect with themselves. It is a book to make you think, and think deep. You look at the situation these characters are in, and it makes you look at the world around you in an entirely different way.

The chara
~Tina~
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sea is a story about a girl named Sienna Jones, once she lived her life large, but her mothers death made her fearful and so she became distant and lost.
Her father, who also feels the weight of lost wants to help others to feel useful again and wants Sienna to join him on Team Hope to Indonesia, to help the tsunami victims for two weeks.
Can a journey of love and hope make Sienna live and feel again?

This is just a beautiful written story filled with rich romance and an eye opener for everything t
April
Imagine, if you will, a book that will melt your heart simultaneously reminding you of a 1940s black and white film, despite it being set in the present. Are you picturing? Picture an exotic location, such as say, Indonesian. Now, add in a large smattering of romance and you have Sea by Heidi R. Kling.
Read the rest of my review here
Rachel
Nov 25, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-i-hadn-t
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
3.5 / 5 Fangs

I did not know what to expect going into this book, but I was pleasantly surprised! This story was full of romance, self-discovery, loss, angst, and hope. The author tied in so many different elements to this story, which kept the plot refreshing and interesting. The angst in this book was a little much at times, but it definitely kept the story moving!

I loved how this book mainly took place in Indonesia. I have never been to Indonesia before or read a book set there, so it was so
Nicole
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

Where, oh where, do I start. I wasn't prepared for all the emotions that I would go through while reading this story. But I loved it. I truly loved the story and I loved that I got to feel all the feels.

Summary: After her mother's plane went missing over the Indian Ocean, seventeen-year-old Sienna Jones gave up everything she loved about living in California. No more surfing. No more swimming. No more ocean, period. Playing it safe, hidi
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
It's hard to believe that Sea is Heidi Kling's debut book. Sea is a richly written story that will capture the readers attention and pull them right into the wonderful world Heidi has created. It's both real and captivating. Woven with a beautiful, sweet summer love story, Sea is one read I highly recommend.

Fifteen year old Sienna Jones is still grieving over the death of her mother, when her father, a psychiatric Doctor surprises her for her birthday with a trip to go with his Team Hope back t
Sandy
Sea is unlike anything else I've read this past year. The story is rich and unique--I can't fathom the amount of research that must have gone into this beautiful tale. The characters were compelling and believable--you could feel their emotions, feel their heartache, pain, and love. Seeing the intersecting journeys of healing (for several characters--Sea, Deni, her father) took hold of my heart, and I could not put this down until I knew how it ended.

And the ending? While it may not be what you
Marieke
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher/Netgalley for for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review. This in no way influenced my opinion.

Yes, eerste boek van het jaar!
De eerste helft van dit boek was erg traag. Ik kwam er maar niet doorheen en dat frustreerde me echt heel erg. Daarom las ik ook allemaal andere boeken ondertussen en stelde ik deze steeds maar uit. Toch wilde ik deze ook uitlezen, dus ik ging er vandaag eens voor zitten. En de tweede helft was zó veel beter!

Naast het langza
Elaine
I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read this book first! It definitely sets the stage for 'The Sea Takes Me' is an insightful look at how one teenage girl reacted to her mother's disappearance. When her father challenges her to spend part of her summer working in an orphanage in Indonesia she reluctantly agrees.

This is a thought provoking story with evocative descriptions of the conditions there, the treatment of the orphans and the trauma many of them have suffered after escaping the tsunami
Liz
Between the fanatical reviews posted by several bloggers and Sea’s gorgeous cover, I had to have this book for myself. Even though I knew a large part of the plot was about tsunami relief, part of my brain expected this book to have lots of idyllic romantic scenes where the characters work through their emotional baggage while sitting on a beach. I have no idea where my brain got this idea, but Sea turned out to be much different, yet absolutely beautiful nonetheless.

Sea is a story that had me “
haley
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I had trouble putting my finger on it, but I finally figured out why I didn't enjoy Sea. First of all, there were no mermaids. I was expecting some. Yes, that's my own fault for being stupid and not thoroughly reading the synopsis (which doesn't mention mermaids at all), but still. One can't help but expect mermaids, looking at that cover and all. But that was a trivial thing.

No, the main reason I didn't like Sea was that many of the more important characters lacked comm
Steph Su
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debs10, poc
SEA is a wonderfully solid, emotional, and un-put-downable debut by a highly talented YA novelist.

Heidi Kling writes her characters with assured realness. Sienna thinks and sounds like a 15-year-old with a tragic past: she has the fears and (occasionally petty) concerns appropriate for her age and situation. Instead of finding her naivete annoying, then, Sienna’s (and, thus, Heidi’s) seamless teen voice completely won me over.

This is the first YA novel I’ve read that deals with the tragedy of th
Kate
Jan 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, age-ya, arcs
I received this ARC from the publisher (quite a deal, too! I had requested an ARC of Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials but they had run out, and then I got a package in the mail containing a hardcover of that one, another hardcover and two ARCs including this novel and Restoring Harmony). I'm interested in Middle Eastern culture and the backdrop of the Indonesian tsunami was timely considering the chaos in Haiti right now.

Three years ago, Sienna's mother disappeared in a plane around the
Erica (daydreamer)
Sea is a luscious, intriguing tale that was beautiful and dreamy. I was pulled straight under the waves from the beginning. It was expertly written and researched. Kling captured the allure and fascination of the Indonesian culture, and the desperation and tragedy of the tsunami perfectly.

Kling did a superb job at bringing her characters to life. They all seemed so real. Sienna was a wonderful character, (also love the name : ) Deni was really great, and the romance between the two was sweet. B
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
I know this one will come as a shocker to most of you. What? I read a book that had no paranormal character in it whatsoever?? *pauses for your still processing brain to catch up*

I did. Furthermore, I gave it FIVE shiny stars. Pinky swear.

Until I read SEA, I'd forgotten what it was like to read a really, really good story without some mysterious boy popping up and using his magical powers to fight off a mythological monster. Yes, there's a mysterious guy. And yes, there's even a love triangle. B
Shreeka
Sea... I liked the story but there were also many things that bothered me in this book.
The number one being the major flaw of this book and that is the misconception of Buddha being an Indian. BUDDHA. WAS. BORN. IN. NEPAL Im a buddhist and a Nepali and I was greatly offended when Sienna started telling the story of Buddha and there was no mention of Nepal. :( :(
Besides this fact, I thought the story was okay. I found the tragedy caused by the Tsunami really heart breaking. Deni and Sienna w
Zoe
May 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book. I am blown away. Heidi Kling wrote one of my favorite novels. Sea was thrilling, sweet, adventurous, while still having that feel where everything seems like it’s going to be ok. I fell in love with these characters, they were written wonderfully.
Some people think that the author chooses the book and some people think that the book chooses the author, in this case, Sea definitely chose Heidi. While reading it, I couldn’t help but think that this book was made for her
Angie
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic and original book! Addictive from the very first page, Sienna's story was one I could not get enough of. Her reluctant adventure into the aftermath of the 2004 Indonesian tsunami to try and help heal orphans who lost loved ones, ends up being a journey to her own healing. Sienna needs to find closure over the loss of her mother, who disappeared in a plane crash over the Indian Ocean years before though the wreckage has never been found. But to give up hope that her mother is som ...more
Daisy
Travel abroad, beautiful boys, heartache.

SEA has it all. Heidi R Kling's debut young adult novel is a story of a California girl who travels to post-tsunami Indonesia as part of a relief mission. While there, Sienna not only helps a local orphanage, she also falls for a beautiful tsunami survivor, 17-year-old Deni. The pair travel around on motor, eat fluffy rice and sneak off at night to kiss, kiss, kiss. But life's not easy in a place that's been devastated by a storm and both Deni and Sienna
Jill
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I just couldn't get into this one...seemed more "teen-agey" than the other young adult books I read and love. The main character in Sea is super boy crazy, and it reminded me of my middle school years when every guy I met was a potential boyfriend! :) I decided not to waste any more time and returned it to the library after reading 4 or 5 chapters.
Jenni
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sea was a fascinating little adventure/romance that I very much enjoyed. I applaud Heidi for writing it, and wanting to give the Young Adult world a different taste of literature, as its definitely unique. It was not my typical genre that I read, so for me to like it as much as I did was quite brilliant. I’m not much into reading adventure and journey’s or that kind of thing but this book still kept me going. Most of the fun in the book took place in the beginning in preparation and the first en ...more
Sarah BT
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, Love, Love it! I love books with romance, but sometimes the romance genre feels oversaturated with paranormal or new girl falls for hot guy who finally notices her storylines. Sea stands out among these romances and is a breath of fresh air. In Sea, you'll find a wonderfully lovely story about a normal girl-and this girl actually travels the world and helps people! Sure, she's reluctant to at first, but what I loved about Sienna is that she goes for it-she joins Team Hope and travels to In ...more
Sam
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2010
It's funny, I find it really hard to write reviews of books that I enjoyed. In books that were just so-so, it's a lot easier because I can focus on both the good and the bad things, but books I like? I get a little fan-girly about them.

Sea was definitely one of those books. I read it in practically one sitting, only stopping to eat dinner and maybe Tweet just a little bit. My reading spot is really uncomfortable, actually - knees up on my bedpost, which always digs into my skin - so it's pretty
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
I first noticed this book on a lot of people’s book blogs. It has rave reviews so without really knowing that much about it I added it to my wish list to be brought at a later date. However I kept seeing this book everywhere! So intrigued I decided to read what it was about and after finding out I ordered this book straight away because it felt a little bit like fate that I kept crossing paths with it.

Still haunted by nightmares of her mother’s death, fifteen-year-old Sienna Jones reluctantly tr
  • Forget-Her-Nots
  • Everlasting (Everlasting, #1)
  • The Secret Year
  • The Mark (The Mark, #1)
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • The Naughty List (The Naughty List, #1)
  • Taken by Storm (Taken by Storm, #1)
  • The Beautiful Between
  • Tell Me a Secret
  • Sleepless
  • A Blue So Dark
  • Sea Change
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me
  • Anxious Hearts
  • I Now Pronounce You Someone Else
  • The Thirteenth Chime (Sense of Truth, #1)
  • The Broken Lake (The Pace #2)
Heidi R. Kling writes books about normal girls in fantastic situations.

Her debut novel SEA (Penguin/Putnam) was a finalist for Northern California Book of the Year," an IndieNext Summer Pick, Goodreads “Mover and Shaker," Scholastic Reading Pick, and Gateway Reader’s Award Finalist among other generous accolades. SEA, which launched June, 2010, is a bittersweet love story set in the aftermath of

Sea (2 books)
  • Where the Sea Takes Me (Sea, #2)
“We do not choose what happens to us. We can only choose what we do after. What we do now. We can only choose to keep going.” 48 likes
“I wanted to tell him that you can meet someone and they can change your life forever, even if you have only known him for a short while, that when you leave, you're a different person than before you met him... and I undertstand that because of meeting Deni.” 24 likes