Start by marking “A Shine that Defies The Dark” as Want to Read:
A Shine that Defies The Dark

A Shine that Defies The Dark

Gripping, romantic, and evocative of its time— A Shine that Defies the Dark is a spellbinding story of one woman who will stop at nothing to survive during a tumultuous time in American history.
After a six-year exile, Ophelia Breaux and her mother are overjoyed to return to the Louisiana bayou. But it seems the ghosts of the epic feud that drove them away still haunt Plaqu
ebook
Published December 5th 2017 by Clean Teen Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A Shine that Defies The Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Shine that Defies The Dark

Lea ★
ARC provided VIA Netgalley.

This is my romance book placed in the time of prohibition, and I haven't read any historical romance for quite some time, so this was a nice change of pace.
It was really, really good. I enjoyed from the very beginning to the end.
Great book from a new author.
Highly recommended!
Jodi Gallegos
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my book and I've read it (several times!). I love it and I hope you will as well
Lauren loves llamas

“I was running with bootleggers, my Momma was sleepin’ with a man in exchange for a roof over our heads, and I was falling crazy in love with a member of one of the most notorious families in Louisiana, who as it turned out, isn’t as bad as I’d always been led to believe.”

What a lovely surprise.  I almost didn't request this book because, honestly, the thought of young adult novel set during the Prohibition didn't really interest me... until I read the blurb.  Also, the gorgeous cover certainly
Sam Boush
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Shine That Defies the Dark was my first romance, and I was not disappointed. Gallegos brings us into the world of prohibition, bootlegging and debauchery in what I can only imagine is so action-packed it deserves to sit prominently in multiple genres. Her characters live not just on the page, but in your imagination, and her storytelling leaves you looking for the sequel.

Note: I was offered a complimentary copy for review, with no expectations from the publisher.
Jenea Whittington
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Shine the Defies the Dark takes us through a journey of a young girl during the era of prohibition. This was a engrossing read from the start and the more I read, the more I wanted to know what was going to happen to Ophelia and her mother. A few years back Ophelia and her mother were basically ran out of town, and now that they are back, they are treated horribly. Her mother is willing to do just about anything to put food on the table and a roof over their head. Ophelia has other things in m ...more
Jeri Baird
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the Louisiana bayou, A SHINE THAT DEFIES THE DARK plops you right in the middle of 1930’s prohibition. Ophelia Breaux and Remy Granger, at first an unlikely pair, find themselves drawn to each other and rumrunning, both dangerous propositions. The lush setting, the forbidden romance, and illegal liquor work to create a story that makes you nervously flip pages to see what comes next. A must read!
James Weaver
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid read and entertaining tale. I'm not a romance reader, but Jodi Gallegos spins a romance with enough moonshine, shoot-outs and car chases to keep the non-romancers very entertained. Her story moves quickly and her characters are compelling in a peek back into Prohibition in the Louisiana bayou. Definitely worth a read!
Katerina
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an amazing first novel by a great new author. I enjoyed every page and can't recommend it enough
Emma
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!! What an exciting story. I could not stop myself from reading it straight through till the end. There was nonsto
p action, dangerous and deadly situations, antagonistic relationships, friendship, loyalty, love for family, devotion and a fledgling romance under the harshest of times. A prominent family driven from their home due to two families warring against each other in Plaquemines Parish, a small town in the bayou of Southern Louisiana. The story picks up six years later when the remain
Lucinda Stein
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t go lookin’ for Remy Granger that night,” begins a tale that promises danger and romance. Set in the Louisiana bayou during the Depression, A Shine That Defies the Dark reveals the struggles of Ophelia Breaux and her widowed mother during this hard economic time.

Ophelia meets up with Remy Granger at a party one night. She finds herself attracted to him despite his family’s reputation for trouble. Ophelia warns herself to stay clear of Remy. But when she sees her mother compromising herse
Kristy Fairlamb
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved A Shine that Defies the Dark.
I've never delved into stories that describe the life and times during the American prohibition during the 1930's, but this was a good place to start. With brave and determined Ophelia Breaux, who herself had never been involved in the rum running business that was rampart in these parts during that time.
...that is until she gets herself involved with Remy Granger.
Within the first few pages I was drawn in, immersed in 1930's Louisiana, by the si
Vivian Allen
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a surprise

I have never read Jodi’s work before nor anything about bootleggers . This book surprised me! Born and bred Louisiana girl from Belle Chasse, I loved the descriptions of the bayou, the back roads, the country side, the critters..all of it. I know that smell, taste and feel of being on a backwater bayou and she put me there all over again. I enjoyed the story between the Breauxs, the Grangers and the Trudeaus. Great job! Realistically written and portrayed! Kudos!
Koda Gallegos
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written with heart and filled with everything that makes us human, A Shine That Defies The Dark is a fast-paced, thrilling adventure set in the 1930s bayou. Although, laced with a heartwarming love story, this book is much more, forcing into light the gray areas of right and wrong, and illuminating the emotions that drive our human souls. Great read!
Nellie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romantic

Well written. Little steam. Rum runners in the Bayou. I liked the characters, and the storyline. Interesting premise. Dumb kids, thought.
Clean Teen Publishing
N.N. Light
Nov 07, 2018
janice holloway
Jan 04, 2019
Jodi is a YA and NA/Adult author, black belt, and registered nurse. She lives with her husband, three sons and an evolving herd of undisciplined animals in Colorado. She has a well-earned fear of bears, but tolerates the Teddy and Gummy variety. She has been obsessed with books, both reading and writing them, for most of her life and prefers the written word to having actual conversations. The mos ...more