Start by marking “Catching Stars” as Want to Read:

Witch. Betrayal. Hunted.

Maddix Kell is on the run. After two years in prison for crimes
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 269 pages
Published May 8th 2018 by Oftomes Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Catching Stars, please sign up.
Meg Kurose Yes! It will be a series. Confirmed with the author herself :)
Summer (speaking_bookish) It’s obvious that the book was meant to be a sequel based on the spine having “one” on it. But it’s not listed as a series on goodreads and the publis…moreIt’s obvious that the book was meant to be a sequel based on the spine having “one” on it. But it’s not listed as a series on goodreads and the publisher that published this book no longer exists as far as I can tell. I also had a hard time finding the author on social media. So, I know this was meant to be a series, that’s clear also from the ending, but there’s been no news, no updates, no nothing. After that ending I’d like nothing more then to continue on but I’m not going to bank on it at this point 🤷🏼‍♀️(less)

Start your review of Catching Stars
Aug 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had hopes for this book but, sadly, I did not like it at all.

I often found myself skipping through the pages, looking for something that could grabbed my attention, but it never happened. And I liked the characters just fine, but they felt bland and your average fantasy book people.

That’s something that really hurt the story: the lack of characterization. None of them -or the story itself- were really fleshed out. It’s sad because it had potential but, in the end, it wasn’t that good.
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super addictive, action packed and magical. I also totally loved these characters!
Ben Alderson
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magnetizing—an intricate, brutal world of sorcery, betrayal, and mystery that will captivate and entice until the very last page. Emily R. King, author of The Hundredth Queen Series.

When I say this is one of the BEST fantasy's I've ever read. I mean it. I'm publishing it for a reason.
As you know I have loved everything to do with witches. This will NOT LET YOU DOWN. A bustling world of magic, murder, and characters you will love love love.

*I have one character I still think of every moment of ev
mith
4.5 stars.

Oh my god. I need book 2 asap.
---
hiii, hi hi hello, my full review is up, finally! you can read it on my blog (here's a handy link) if you'd prefer to!

I loooooove this book. Like. A ridiculous amount. I love the characters and the magic and, oddly enough, even the cruel and dangerous world all of this is set in because it was just sooo good.

Catching Stars has been comp'd to Truthwitch and Six of Crows, and it's easy to see why. You have the complex magic system and (uhhh) witchery (w
Constanze Zietz
The book did not grab me as much as a lot of other readers and it took me a long time to finish it, mostly as for me it was too slow in a lot of parts. I liked both the main characters but I would have loved to hear more about their background stories and dive deeper into the characters. The writing was beautiful and the plot definitely something I have not read about but I wasn't intrigued by the world as much as I had hoped.
Cassie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"you've tied yourself to the most dangerous sahir in aestos," she said. "and i am now bound to the most wanted criminal. we're going to die bloody."

as one of my favorite booktubers once said, i will happily give a book five stars when it brings me out of a reading slump.

before i picked up catching stars, i had no idea what i wanted to read. i swear i picked up seven books but put them all down because nothing was catching my attention. however, this book did. from the very beginning, i w
leonie
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, 2019
the beginning wasn’t bad but damn ... the story was going in a circle going nowhere, the magic and world wasn’t explained at all and the characters were so flat and every 2 chapters someone fainted. i skim read the last 60 pages i am sad
Ana Garza
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I just couldn't get into this at all.
Kelly (Ink & Illusion)
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
You can find this review and more like it on my blog, Ink & Illusion!

I had to think about writing this review. How did I want to handle it, because this is – for the first time since I decided to approach my reviews differently – a book that I feel no love for. And so it meant I had to ask some questions of myself; mainly, did I want to carry through and write the review anyways? Or did I want to DNF the book and stow it away, never to think of it again?

The book answered that question for me abo
Carol
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: standalone
CATCHING STARS

• ⭐️: 5/5

💬: Jayin Ijaad is in hiding. A witch with powerful abilities, she carves out a life for herself in the slums of Pavaal, a city rotting from the inside out. When an old acquaintance tracks her down, Jayin is dragged back into a world she tried to escape -- and is determined to escape again. Maddix Kell is on the run. After two years in prison for crimes he did not commit, Maddix escapes and seeks out a legendary order of witch hunters who are his only chance to find jus
Shauna
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*Disclaimer - I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Despite having a thesis to write, I stayed up into the early hours of the morning to finish reading this book instead.

That’s how good it was.

I might end up posting a full review on here in the future, but for now I’m going to keep it short and sweet.

If you like magic, beautifully crafted characters and a plot that doesn’t stop moving then this is the book for you.

Although it started off a bit slow for me, once I
Summer (speaking_bookish)
>>3.75<<

"They thought they were ridding the world of monsters by killing her people, but with every life they took, the more monstrous they became."

Where to begin with this one? Man, I've got so many feelings about this book. This YA fantasy was sent out as a bonus book in an Owlcrate box last year. I've been intrigued about it for a while and this month I found the perfect excuse to read it. It started off slow but I liked the ambiance, if you will. As I was reading I came across minor errors o
Marwa
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I have received this book in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank both Cayla Keenan and Ben Alderson for providing me with an eARC to review.
First of all, I would like to apologize for being extremely late in reviewing this book due to some unanticipated personal issues.
Second of all, I NEED THE SEQUEL!!
This book is a beautifully written adventure that consists of two main characters' points of views: The first one is from Jayin's POV who is a witch (or a Sahirla) ...more
Mae
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
** First of all, I want to clarify that the arc of this book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for my honest review. Thanks Oftomes Publishing! :)

At first it was somewhat difficult for me to advance in the story, it was a little slow and I couldn't get hooked, but then, I got to this point where I got caught and couldn't leave until I finished it, even though I should have been studying, ups!
Cayla created a wonderful world, full of magic, intrigue and action.
With a great variet
Hetal
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-must-reads
To see this review and more, considering taking a peek at my first in series YA book blog here

2.5 -3 stars
Catching stars has a fun, well tested premise. A convict and witch on the run from the king. Brought to hate each other due to misguided beginnings. As much as I wanted to love this story...I just couldn't get into it. Jayin was interesting but lacked a certain depth I crave in characters. And that's just it, she never became a person, she was always just a character I was reading about. Mad
Casia Courtier
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was one of those "great blurbs not so great execution" books. The blurb is a good blurb. It grabs you and has enough that inspires you to read it. However, the bulk of the story was . . . repetitive.

Catching Stars starts strong. It pulls you in right off the bat with a flashback and scene on how Maddix gets to prison. But, I feel that's pretty much where the book ends in awesome.

The one thing I noticed about this book is that whenever there was a big event, one of the main characters e
Tammy
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first part of the book had some parts that were slow and a bit repetitive. I liked that Jayin was a strong, female character. Maddix developed into a better character than he was in the beginning. The second part of the book picked up speed and had more intense action. Overall it was a interesting read. I received an ebook at no charge for which I voluntarily provided an honest review.
Chloe Palazuelos
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Just no
Keri
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
***I received a free e-copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review***

Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

This book completely captured my attention, though I wouldn’t call it an amazing book. The storyline was both magical and action-packed, but sadly I felt that the writing style and tropes dampened the effect of this book. This story had great potential, but sadly it didn’t completely live up to it.

Catching Stars follows the perspectives of Jayin Ijaad and Maddix Kell, a witch an
Stephanie Marie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Actual Rating: 4.25

I didn’t go into this book with too many expectations since not many people have read it, but it was definitely an engaging read!

I love the world within this novel. I think Keenan developed both the magic and setting very well throughout. She created such a rich culture with plenty of depth to it while still leaving more to be uncovered. I’m excited to read more within this world whenever the sequel is published.

Jayin and Maddix were both well-developed and strong characters.
Sydney
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
But actually 3.5 stars.

I got this book in an OwlCrate, and was pleasantly surprised. Something about it was addicting. I have a thing for witches and magic, I think, so there was that. I also found myself falling in love with both Jayin and Maddix, and their relationship, as well as a couple side characters (although the majority of the book was focused on Jayin and Maddix alone). Did I mention how much I love the hate-to-love trope? Because that was so present here.

Jayin is so kickass. I thin
Katlyn
I liked this book, but also found it rather meh at times. It took me a while to get into, but about halfway through I was able to read at a steady pace because I was curious about what would happen next. The writing is good, although I did notice a couple typos, so the editing left a little bit to desired. The cover is gorgeous, especially considering that it’s an indie novel! I liked the plot, although it was a bit cliche. The characters left a lot to be desired. They weren’t very fleshed out, ...more
Danielle
May 22, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So some honest truths:

1) This book is FULL of spelling and grammar errors. So many in fact that it was completely distracting from the reading experience.

2) It reads like a first draft of some mediocre fan fiction. The pacing is awkward at best and there are many very poorly done transitions. The plot is nothing new. The obstacles make little sense. For example, she leaves Pavaal on a boat and rather than going to her destination they stop in another Aestosi port just so everyone we were just in
Taniqua Cary
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow. So I had the opportunity to actually meet this author at the recent bookcon that just passed. As soon as she started explaining the book to me I was ready to buy it! I’m glad that I do not currently regret doing so either because I really loved this book! The world and the characters and the magic and just everything was amazing. It was dark and gritty and didn’t really spare anyone at all, which I was NOT expecting! Jayin and Maddox were quite the team. They HATED each other at first, and ...more
Kirsty
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Although I only gave Catching Stars a 3 star rating I did actually enjoy this book a lot more than I thought I would.

The story begins really quickly and within the first chapter you are thrown into the thick of the action. While there are times where I found the storyline a little bit slow and erratic there were times I was sitting on the edge of my seat. I found that the writing at times jumped around a little and Somethings didn’t make sense to the story but the magic Keenan creates and the w
Saraih Korber
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It's a good fantasy read if you're 1) into witches, 2) like fantasy but with a simple yet fleshed out world and 3) a clean yet interesting plot.

When I got this book in my May Owlcrate box the summary seemed pretty generic, so I didn't rush to read it and boy was I sorry. This book does what people preach good books should be, the plot is nothing new but the characters are so interesting and the world is unique yet doesn't overwhelm you. Jayin and Maddix are so adorable and the
Shirley Cuypers
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-beta, ebooks, 2018
Original review

This book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Oftomes Publishing!

Catching Stars
tells the story of Jayin and Maddix. Jayin is a powerful witch and is determined to escape from Pavaal and Maddix is a human who’s been imprisoned for two years for a crime he didn’t commit. One day, they cross paths and since then they become allies even though they don’t think highly of each other. Will they both make it out alive when they try to run away?

Catc
Sian
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a really long and rubbish week, but one of the things that got me through was being able to escape to this world for a little while every night. The world was beautifully and delicately weaved and the characters were complex and engaging - the bickering definitely helped. I'm super excited to see where more of the story takes Maddix and Jaylin!
Cristine (cristinethebookqueen) Paquette
your classic young adult story with all the typical unlikely allies and secret identities we've all come to expect. This one hit it right on though and I loved it! magic, a bad ass female protagonist, and some unlikely family, it hits all my must haves.

that ending though.......am i expected to wait for a second book to come out???? i cant.
Lauren Hannough-Bergmans
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. Good for fans of the Frostblood series or Sky in the Deep. I sense a series coming on. Was more violent than I usually expect from a teen book, many detailed deaths included. Interesting concept and a nice end of novel set up to a powerful enemy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
  • From Twinkle, with Love
  • Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)
  • Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)
  • Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1)
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)
  • My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies, #2)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Witchy
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Winterwood
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Pride
  • Queen of Ruin (Grace and Fury, #2)