Start by marking “Magic Runes (Magic Runes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magic Runes (Magic Runes, #1)

Magic Runes

(Magic Runes #1)

Meet Carmen Rebello - Rune Witch, owner of the best magic store in Barcelona, and black sheep of her family.

When Carmen successfully removes a spell from a bewitched human, she never thought she would get ensnared in an ongoing Supernatural Bureau of Investigation case. Her life is already complicated by trying to stay hidden from her powerful family members, Carmen can't
Published November 28th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Magic Runes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Runes

Maggie
Dec 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is taxing the decision I'd only made this morning to be kinder to authors. It abounds with a typos and grammatical errors - missed words and wrong tense the most common. I'd actually gotten my knitting row counter out thinking no one would believe how many errors could be in one book, but decided not to start over just to count.

This author needs better speech recognition software or better editing skills. It's distracting enough that I fired up Goodreads to mention this issue only a t
Shirley Cuypers
Original review

This book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Devyn Jayse!

Magic Runes
tells the story of Carmen Rebello, a rune witch who owns a magic store in Barcelona. When Carmen removes a spell from a bewitched woman, the SBI, Supernatural Bureau of Investigation, wants Carmen to become their consultant and want to know how she removed the spell because there are other bewitched women who died from that spell. Besides having to find the one who’s bewitchin
Debbie Turk
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
(Read using Kindle Unlimited)
A thoroughly enjoyable start to this series. I like all of the characters we've met so far except the Ex Director of SIB 😡 I'm looking forward to starting book 2 👍

Debbie, 1970, UK
Dj
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
When you get a book for free you often come away understanding why that was. This book was a very pleasant surprise in that regard. The Magic was compelling. The mystery made sense. The Main Characters secret doesn't get the big reveal until the end of the book and it is an easy read that doesn't fall off the rails into sappy romance.

I will have to give the second outing a look, it was a very pleasant surprise.
JadeShea
Carmen is hiding from her past, but when she helps a human and then decides to let the SBI know, her world is turned upside down. She must deal with a jerk a the SBI and be part of the investigation if she wishes to help save these girls, other wise things may not go so well for her.

This book was interesting. I liked the story line and the characters for the most part. I did feel like Carmen was a tad bit whinny about things, but other than that I liked her. And the only thing that was really a
Fiona Padmore
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If Magic is your thing then this book is for you!
I love Devyn's writing style and have read a few of her books to date and remain impressed. Devyn manages to capture a reader's attention early on and keeps her claws in you till the end (no reader's will be harmed in the reading of this book) and you will be glad she does.

I gave the book five stars because I like when characters are written in a way that we as the reader can feel a connection with them and can picture ourselves taking a small par
Holly Minch
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I enjoyed this book there was a lot I felt I was missing this was my first book from this authors so maybe this was a spin-off of another series? There was a lot of areas that where backstory that seemed like we were supposed to understand the issue with her mother and why she is on the run the backstory confuses the reading I read the reviews and did not see where this was a spin-off so perhaps it was just an underdeveloped backstory I am not sure. Overall I thought this book was a good start t ...more
William Howe
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Bipolar

I say that because most of the time it feels like it is happening in the US (SBI, because naturally a worldwide enforcement bureau would use American naming protocols). It just seemed like the Spanish setting was a thin overlay.

There were a lot of dialogue problems. Usually, speakers alternate with each new paragraph. Unfortunately, that wasn’t always the case, making it difficult to parse who was doing what, especially letter in the book.

The police interactions are off kilter. How did th
Kylie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
So much potential

Overall the book had a really interesting premise. The beginning had twists and turns that kept me guessing. However as the book went on I noticed more grammatical errors and felt that it was rushed. Around half way it began jumping from scene to scene without any segway. This made me struggle to get through it. It jumped from one thing to the next and what should have been the climax was rushed and anticlimactic. It reminded me of how I write essays...great start, great ideas a
Mae Padua-janusas
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mystery mayhem

Been a while since I read a good detective paranormal mystery book. This one is definitely a good one to pick up. I’m usually the type to keep guessing “who done it” until the very end. Sometime I’d get it right, but sometimes it baffles me all in all. This one has a good amount of spins and twists, it’ll definitely keep you guessing until the end. The only one I really anticipated was who Carmen really was.

I can’t wait to read more about Carmen and the rest of the SBI team and w
T.
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I downloaded Magic Runes as a free ebook (novella- at 130 pgs) from Amazon. As expected for it's page count, Magic Runes ending was open-ended, but not a cliffhanger as the main thread of the story was closed (in a anticlimactic fashion, considering the build up). A good plot, an interesting main character, but the book would have appealed more to me if it were full-length and more in-depth. Missed opportunities--too bad, the writing was good. I'm glad it was free when I picked it up, as I would ...more
chantal forget
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On ne s'ennuie pas avec Carmen Rebello.
Elle a une gargouille comme amie et disparait pendant trois jours à tous les trois mois. Un mystère l'entoure mais nous le découvrons au cours de la lecture.
Une enquête policière sur des crimes commis envers des humains qui ont des capacités magiques dormantes. Un fée et un métamorphe travaille avec elle.
Oh, et elle fait aussi passé les fantômes dans un autre monde quand les gens lui demande ce service. Sans compter qu'elle a une boutique magique où les hum
Eating Between
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I was on the hunt for a short read but a GOOD short read. I wanted something to read while I waited for my meds to kick in and I drifted off to sleep. I think picking this was a HUGE mistake! Why? Well reading this book in bed kept me awake until I finished it! I fought through the droopy eyes and tiredness because I wanted no NEEDED to finish this book! The author is able to create such a deep and engaging world in such a short time.

Find my more detailed review here-
Jason
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great beginning - however wish the story was longer.

I liked the heroine and the storyline, but just as things were getting really interesting the story ended.
It did wrap up the current mystery, but another 50-75 pages would have helped.

More character interaction and background would have been good.

Overall liked the heroine and hope she wins.

I am preordering the next book in the series.
April
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I really enjoyed this book. Great characters and a good plot. Enough of the plot was explained that I wasn't left frustrated but there's enough mystery still left that has me ready for the next book. This is my first book by this author and I will continue to read her work.
Heidi
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, witches
I really enjoyed this series start! The book was well written, I liked the characters, and I loved where the plot was heading. Carmen certainly has an interesting life. This is the first book I have read by this author, and I am excited to see what else she has to offer.
Mary T
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like magic read this

Own magic shop, save a life, have the SBI come ca!!ing, meet
the last person you ever want to see and still try to find out what is going on in the world of magic.
Jenn
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Move Quickly But Great Story

I'll be honest I'm more interested in reading the next book than talking about the first one. The book is excellent there's a huge fascinating world and I can't wait to read more about it.
Linda Levine
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Storyline

I enjoyed the book and the storyline kept my interest. I liked how she does the right thing even when she knows there may be personal consequences. Her family issues are intriguing and add mystery to the story. I would love to read more.
Lee
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Good start to the series. Needs better editing too many errors in the book but otherwise an enjoyable quick read. This author has a tendency not to explore the relationships she teases at its a little frustrating but nonetheless I enjoy her books.
Cryogenic Fire
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad

A little clunky in places but the characters are interesting enough that you keep reading. Decent plot, if somewhat straightforward and I think that once the author hits their stride this could be a fun series.

Nothing challenging but I'd recommend for a light read.
Cinthyad
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is worth the time it really pulls you into the story,
and the characters are awesome...
CARMEN is a real mystery at the beginning, but she turns out a person that didn't settle for what her mother wanted her to be
I loved this book and I can't wait for MAGIC SHIFTS to come out !!!!
Wendy
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Needs work

The story is good, the characters have room for growth and are interesting. However, having to read the same sentence multiple times because of missing or incorrect words makes for a tedious read.
Carol Angelo
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Getting lost in fantasy

Good book to read to lose yourself. Getting caught up with the authors characters was easy to remember each one. It was a fun and fast read, and I'm looking forward to the follow up book.
Sheila Ryals
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
😻

I would of given four stars. But it needs a lot of editing. The storyline itself though was very good. I'm just thinking the author needs a decent editor. Was some other things but I can not quite pin what bugged me. I still am interested to see how this goes.
Richard Johnson
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story. Looking forward to the next book and what the SBI needs her help with next.
Molly Harbridge
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Greatly entertaining!

There.s enough intrigue here to create a Monday night tween drama. Light and fresh, this book is sure to please the lightly macabre.
Dschaper54
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, didn’t see the ending coming, loved it. Now off to the next one.
John Riggs
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book

Really liked this book , can't wait for the next book. I would recommend it to anyone. Thank you Thank you.
Barb VanderWel
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.

Magic Runes (3 books)
  • Magic Rifts (Magic Runes #2)
  • Magic Rebel (Magic Runes #3)