Start by marking “One on the Ground: The Story of One Family Before, During, and After Continental Flight 3407 Crashed into their Home” as Want to Read:

February 12, 2009 was an ordinary evening at home for the Wielinski family. Karen said good night to her husband Doug as he left their family room. Their daughter was reading in an upstairs room. Minutes later their world and their home collapsed into flaming wreckage around them.
The crash of Continental Flight 3407 in Clarence Center, New York resulted in the loss of ev
Published September 29th 2017 by Librastream

To ask other readers questions about One on the Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One on the Ground

Start your review of One on the Ground: The Story of One Family Before, During, and After Continental Flight 3407 Crashed into their Home
Jacob Hunt
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Moving Story of Love Carrying Through Grief and Pain

I've been drawn to aviation incident and accident investigations my entire life. I read about the science, human factors and circumstances surrounding crashes and the resulting legal and procedural changes that follow with great interest.
When I first heard of and studied the crash which book this book details, I had no idea I was seated just feet away from one of its victims.
The author's daughter, Lori was a work acquaintance of mine and al
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First, I want to thank Karen Wielinski for providing me with this book so I can bring you this review.

This review is written in the memory of Doug Wielinski and all the lives lost in Continental Flight 3407. My thoughts and prayers go out to Doug’s wife Karen, his daughters, and the families that lost loved ones in Continental Flight 3407 in Clarence, NY.

One on The Ground the Story of One Family Before, During and After Continental Flight 3407 Crashed Into Their Homes by Karen Wielinski automa
Danette
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Flight 3407 air disaster happened to our community in 2009. The plane crashed into the Wielinski home, killing everyone on board, as well as Doug Wielinski. Doug was the "one on the ground." Unbelievably, Karen and daughter Jill were also in the home at the time of the crash but managed to get out.

I could not put this book down. Karen has written about an unimaginable tragedy and her family's life before, during and after. With stark honesty, she describes the loss of her beloved Doug. Her a
Art
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
About half a mile from my house is a peaceful memorial to 51 people who died when a Colgan Air jet crashed into a home on Long Street.

Fifty people on the plane and "one on the ground" died. Karen Wielinksi and her daughter somehow escaped the burning wreckage of their home. Now Karen has written about that night, the loss of her husband and her efforts to cope with the tragedy.

It's an insightful work, more about unexpected loss and grief than about the crash itself.

While there is a bit of repeti
Beth
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
being a local to Western NY I have a few connections to flight 3407 as I'm sure others do as well... having a partner from Clarence who went to high school with one of the wielinkski girls and my high school English teacher lost her daughter the year I took her class, this book was especially impactful. hearing Karen and her daughters story along with the legacy Doug left, it had me teary eyed every turn of the page. Karen is an amazing survivor and I admire her strength. I recommend this to any ...more
Zora May
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Karen Wielinski skillfully tells of the cold February night when Flight 3407 flew into her house. The remembrances of her life with her husband, Doug, are skillfully interwoven with the struggles that she and her four daughters faced following that tragic night. In addition to detailing the events of that fateful night, she writes of the legal trial that followed and the hard work the families of Flight 3407 families continue to this day to make the airlines safer for us all.
Beth Mark
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was of particular interest to me because, as a child, I lived across from the crash site. It provides an insight into survivors of a traumatic event: losing a husband and father and losing their home. It illustrates the far-reaching and long-lasting impact on the author and her adult children. It is written in a series of essays that the author completed as part of a writing group. Because of the format, a few of the chapters are repetitious.
patricia lucas
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a story of heartbreak and the courage to

pick up the pieces
Judy
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very heartfelt love story centered around tragic loss, grief and survival.
Judie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very touching story about the loss of my dear friend’s husband, house, car etc. Cried a lot! Very cathartic!!!!
Christine
Michele
Apr 13, 2019
Allison Schroeder
Jan 30, 2020

• Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life
  • Beautiful Mercy
  • Rediscover Jesus: An Invitation
  • Let Your Mind Run: A Memoir of Thinking My Way to Victory
  • One Beautiful Dream: The Rollicking Tale of Family Chaos, Personal Passions, and Saying Yes to Them Both
  • Allmen und die Libellen
  • NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity
  • Resisting Happiness
  • Be Brave in the Scared: How I Learned to Trust God during the Most Difficult Days of My Life
  • The Day Donny Herbert Woke Up: A True Story
  • Eat Cake. Be Brave.
  • The Boy Between Worlds
  • The True Story of Hansel and Gretel
  • Depth of Winter (Walt Longmire, #14)
  • A Checklist for Murder