Start by marking “Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)

Heart of Thorns

(Heart of Thorns #1)

Inventive and heart-racing, this fiercely feminist teen fantasy trilogy from debut author Bree Barton examines a dark kingdom in which only women can possess magic—and every woman is suspected of having it.

Mia Rose wants only one thing: revenge against the Gwyrach—feared, reviled, and magical women—who killed her mother. After years training under her father’s infamous Hun
Published July 31st 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Thorns, please sign up.
ishaana There are a few characters who are LGBT+! The main character's love interest is bisexual/pansexual (not specified, but he has fallen in love with men…moreThere are a few characters who are LGBT+! The main character's love interest is bisexual/pansexual (not specified, but he has fallen in love with men and women before), the main character's mother is bisexual/pansexual as well, her ex girlfriend is a lesbian, and one of the main character's childhood friends is gay! (less)

Emily May
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, fantasy, young-adult, 2018
There have been many times when I've disagreed with Kirkus reviews, but whoever wrote the review for this book and said:
"This winsome debut novel goes down like a vegan, gluten-free cupcake: sweet and good for you but entirely lacking in satisfying decadence."

nailed it.

Heart of Thorns needed more editing and fewer tropes. It needed more memorable characters and fewer info-dumps. And it really just needed to be a bit less... polite. There's absolutely zero juicy goodness in this book, and asid
Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

“Once upon a time, in a castle carved of stone, a girl plotted murder.”

Hello, friends! This is going to be a hard one to review. I honestly feel like this is a solid 2.5 star read, but some aspects make me want to raise that rating and others make me want to lower it. I will say the end of this book is phenomenal. Like, easily the best part. And it was so good that I want to continue on. But the rest, especially the
Sahithi
Aug 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Your clavicle throws the most beautiful shadows"

"If she had understood the way blood flowed through the vena arteriosa to the heart's left chamber, or known how to invoke the subtle rhythm of the cariac systole- she might have saved her mother's life."

"She dug her fingertips into the bridge of her nose. 'The sphenoid bone. It's like my whole cerebrum is on fire.'"

DNF

As a medical student, I can assure you that no one speaks like this. Such phrases generally never come out of one's mouth oral c
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I heard "bi male love interest" and "fiercely feminist", so, uh... here we are.
Carrie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Heart of Thorns by Bree Barton is the first book in the young adult fantasy series by the same name, Heart of Thorns. This one is a darker fantasy that would be best for an older crowd as there is a lot of violence and even rape involved in the story.

The series is set in a world in which some women possess magical abilities but having these abilities causes fear in those that don’t. With only a touch those known as the Gwyrach can manipulate a victims body and steal their life and to protect fro
Alana • thebookishchick
Thank you Katherine Tegen Books for providing me with an arc of this!

tw: attempted sexual assault, mentions of self-harm

This was a bummer for me, you guys. I was really looking forward to this one and it just really fell short for me. The premise of this book was SO good, and when I read the synopsis I was instantly sold. But unfortunately, this one just didn't do it for me.

So where did it fall short, you ask?

For starters this was SUPER trope-y, and don't get me wrong I love a good trop
Anissa (FairyLoot)
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-release
Loved this so much!
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

I’m so sorry, but I just can’t get into this book.

The first sentence was so catching, first it was okay, but then it got freakin bad and I hated it.
The last thing I know they were on an air balloon - and I thought this was a book in a medieval world - and I was like: what?

I just couldn’t get into the whole magic system - I couldn’t really understand it.
It was so plain and basic.

I read a few reviews so I would know if I should continue and many people said the last 30 % were the best. But I
Alice
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alice by: Messyloot
Lenna • Sugar Dusted Pages
2.5 RTC
It was going to be a solid 3 until this lovely line:
"You're beautiful when you lie." He quickly added, "Not to diminish you or suggest that beauty is an indicator of your worth."

FOR. PETE'S. SAKE. Just tell the story and stop trying to shove your microwaved feminism down my throat.
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

3.5 stars. Heart of Thorns was exactly the kind of Fantasy book that I love. And while I found especially the first half of it very slow, there's nothing about it that I actively disliked.

This book has incredible world building and for me it's the thing that stands out the most. The writing is sometimes a little bit much but when it comes to describing the world it works perfectly. I thought it was so easy to imagine the setting and I had really vivid pictures in mind. But even
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Trust your heart. Even if it kills you.
OMG, the cover!!! I love it!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
---
Hmm...title changed from Black Rose to Heart of Thorns? Alright, not bad. I like it. Now if only I could get an official release date.
---
Wait I thought this was suppose to come out in 2017? Why does it say 2018 now? Ugh...

photo ivyUvR6_zpsft2g5wnl.gif
Tanya Tate
Expected Pub Date: July 31st,2018

Review
You an also read it on my blog!!

1 Star

DNF @30%

I received a copy from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Spoilers Somewhat

Yep I'm gone. I'm bailing quickly

After it started off with such premise I found myself being disinterested by 25% in.

Let me give a run down of the plot.

It's about a 17 year girl Mia, who is an arranged marriage with Prince Quinn which is the last thing she wants to do. She wants to be a hunter who hunts Gwyrachs, magical beings
Heather
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
#heartofthorns was an action packed first book in a new YA series. I did enjoy the talk of feminism in this book & the strangeness of women. .
It did move somewhat slow for me and I did more a little more backstory of the magic in this series. If your looking for a new ya fantasy series to start, I would recommend this one.
I don’t know if I’ll continue on with the series because there’s just so many ya fantasy series out there but I did enjoy this one.
J.A. Ironside
ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Ok for me this was 2.5 stars but I think I've been prejudiced by the travesty that was chapter 53. The book probably deserves 3 stars so I've rounded up.

I'm not going to rehash the blurb here. This is a very linear story of a young noble woman being forced into an unwanted marriage when she'd rather be a Gwyrach (witch/ demon) hunter like her father (who incidentally is who is forcing her into marriage.) Things go sideways and our MC, Mi
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? —Jeremiah 17:9

Heart of Thorns earned a place on my TBR shelf because I thought that this book was inspired by Sleeping Beauty. Just look at that thorny cover reminiscent of Aurora's gilded cage of a castle. However, unlike the mentioned fairy tale, this book doesn't focus on a handsome prince saving a pretty damsel in distress. Instead, it turns the cliche around by featuring a world wherein men need to protect the
Sanna (sannareads)
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, favorites
4.5 STARS ⭐

This book broke me in so many different ways. Both when it comes to the plots and the way women are treatened in a way not that different from ours (minus the magic).

I quickly got swept into the story and couldn't put the book down, I found it very interesting and unique. In the beginning my mind (that is full of past fantasy books I've read) was kind of making me think that this would be like some other fantasy books I have read. But no. Absolutely not.

Barton writes in a way that b
Bright Star
"Once upon a time, in a castle carved of stone, a girl plotted murder."

And here another book with great potential but poorly developed.
From the line above I was so sure Heart of Thorns would have been an interesting story but, alas, it was bland and with the same old YA tropes.
Dear author, if you wanted to impress the reader you should have tried harder.
Gabry
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5, quasi 4 stelline!
Christopher DeWan
Heart of Thorns is a YA fantasy book, but you don't have to be a fan of YA or of fantasy to love this book: Barton fills every page with playful language, thoughtful characters, and thrilling adventure. This book offers one reward after another, right up until its (surprising!) end.

Heart of Thorns tells the story of Mia Rose, a rational-minded young woman who thinks she's *sooooo* smart—until life throws her a few curves, and she sees that the world—and her emotions!—are more complicated than sh
Anna
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pani Barton, pani mi da drugi tom...
Allison C
Dec 05, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
dnf page 242 because the book is so predictable and the characters are getting really boring. I literally can’t force myself to read more
beth ✨
4.5

oh my god. i didn’t expect to love this book as much as I did but HOLY SHIT this was good. I honestly couldn’t put it down.
Paula Roussel (She Sniffs Books)
Anyone else having a hard time rating and reviewing this book? Because I am...I have to think about this review for a few days...
Sara
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-faves
Voto effettivo: 4 stelline e mezza.
Mi è piaciuto tantissimo e non vedo l'ora di leggere il seguito! Questo libro si è rivelato una sorpresa straordinaria. La trama era già molto bella e accattivante ma mai mi sarei aspettata tutto ciò che ho trovato tra queste pagine. Finalmente una protagonista che già sembra super badass ma che capisce di non sapere tutto, che si evolve già nel primo libro, senza restare stagnante. Tanta, tantissima diversità! Ci sono storie d'amore di tutti i tipi e questa è
♠️ Tabi ♠️
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this less the more I thought about it

description

First off, I cannot deny the fact that this was a fairly enjoyable read for me before I really thought about what I'd read. It wasn't written terribly and I really liked the dialogue and moments between Mia and Quin. And while I did notice quite a few tropes, I wasn't really bothered by them because I was enjoying the read.

"Tree," she said, shoving Quin toward the closest one. "Can you climb?"
"I'm not a kitten. I know how to climb a tree."
"So do kitt
Lauren
Jul 24, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at page 218.

I’m DNF’ing this for the time being. I was too premature in assuming this book was going to be brilliant.

The opening section really intrigued me but somwhere along the way...it just fell flat :( This book unfortunately doesn’t offer anything new; it uses the same old tropes, the same old formula and it’s a struggle to get through. I’m just not excited nor do I feel compelled to continue with it.

Who knows, I may pick this back up in the future which is a shame as I feel like mos
Roxanne
ARC kindly provided by Edelweiss.

All right. Okay. So...
I'm still really torn on my opinion on this one. There were some good things that I really liked, but a couple of things really didn't work for me.

The good
- A strong female protagonist that doesn't need anyone to protect her. (In theory, that is. She didn't seem to do much protecting of herself either but it was implied a lot that she didn't need anyone to..)
- Interesting side characters - our Prince is not a soft cardboard cut out and one
mith
this review + others can be found over on my blog!
---
I loved this book! Though, frankly, it might have to do with Quin, but I'll get there.

In the grand scheme of things, Heart of Thorns isn't entirely different from most other fantasy books. What does make it stand out is that only women have magic! And they're seen as demons. (Figures lmao) So of course our main character, Mia, is such a "creature"!

I loved Mia, though. Throughout the book, it was easy to sympathise with her, in more ways than
  • Nameless Queen
  • Fire & Heist
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Beyond a Darkened Shore
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Jack of Hearts
  • State of Sorrow (Sorrow, #1)
  • When I Wake
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • The Tombs
  • The Elementalist
  • The Tesla Legacy
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
Bree Barton is a writer in Los Angeles. When she's not lost in whimsy, she works as a ghostwriter and dance teacher to teen girls. She is on Instagram and YouTube as Speak Breely, where she posts funny videos of her melancholy dog.

Bree is not a fan of corsets.

Y O U T U B E: http://bit.ly/2gm8OPO
W E B S I T E: www.breebarton.com

Heart of Thorns (3 books)
  • Tears of Frost (Heart of Thorns, #2)
  • Untitled (Heart of Thorns #3)
“For the entirety of human history, weak men have been afraid of powerful women.” 7 likes
“Why shouldn't women get to craft the lives they wanted? Messy, complicated, vibrant lives full of adventure?” 2 likes