Start by marking “The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard” as Want to Read:
The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard

The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard

(Star Trek: The Next Generation)

The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard tells the story of one of the most celebrated names in Starfleet history. His extraordinary life and career makes for dramatic reading: court martials, unrequited love, his capture and torture at the hand of the Cardassians, his assimilation with the Borg and countless other encounters as captain of the celebrated Starship Enterprise.
Published October 17th 2017 by Titan Books (first published October 3rd 2017)

Start your review of The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard
Alejandro
Read it so!

NOT SO EASY TO RATE

Last year (2017), I read The Autobiography of James T. Kirk, written also by David A. Goodman, therefore I imagined that this book would be the same as exciting, and in certain ways, it was, but also, I felt that it was too rushed in at the “last lap” of the reading journey that it was precisely Picard’s voyages on the USS Enterprise-D and E, that it’s the era that made Picard the inspirational and living legend that he’s considered by Trekkers.

So, that made it
Kristen
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, 2017
Really more like 2.5 stars, mostly out of loyalty. The first part of the book was the strongest, which dealt with Picard's childhood and early years at the Academy. The Stargazer years were all right - they did fill like some gaps and were interesting enough, though quite a lot was already known to longtime fans. But the latter part mostly covered episodes of TNG in rapid-fire flashback and didn't give much new information at all. If you're an avid collector, you might want this for your ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
Last year I read and reviewed ‘The Autobiography of James T. Kirk’ and greatly enjoyed it. So when I found out that a new volume on Picard had come out it was a must read. Now I must admit, growing up I was a huge Kirk fan, I remember watching the animated series and the original series in syndication. By the time The Next Generation came out was late high school and early university. So my watching was not as consistent. And to be honest I felt a greater pull to Riker or Worf. And yet that ...more
Jerry
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part, this was a good look at the life and times of the beloved starship captain. However, references to episodes I hadn't seen were merely confusing; maybe, if you've watched TNG in its entirety, you'll understand those parts better than I did.
Jedidiah Moody
Kind of fun, but the last forty pages were just snippets of TNG episodes, which was pretty lame.
Jesse Booth
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Ok. I loved this book. Remarkably so, since I hadn’t initially planned on reading it.

I don’t review books often anymore, but feel compelled to do so with this one.

This autobiography is nothing short of brilliant. I’ve been a Trek fan all of my life. I’ve seen every episode of every series. I’ve seen all of the movies several times. I’ve even read a few of the books. This particular book rewards committed fans like me. The connections to The Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space 9,
Sean Randall
This was quite a plodding sort of a book. Biography in general isn't my field, and although many events were touched upon, it is of course impossible to expect any amount of detail. I didn't really feel Picard was captured very authentically, and the editors notes just annoyed me.
Nancy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2018/09/2...

After my rough start with The Autobiography of James T Kirk, I was leery of picking up The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard, but I’m glad I did. Listed as the “story of one of Starfleet’s most inspirational captains” it is presented as if it were written by Picard and once again it is “edited” by David A Goodman.

The foreword by Beverly Crusher Picard immediately establishes that Picard and Dr. Crusher married some
Jonathan Maas
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible - I'm not crazy about most Star Trek novels, but I was about this one. Just great - hope to wrote a full review later.
Jack
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended if you are a fan of the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation and its associated movies. Otherwise, the references to series and movies would likely be lost on a reader not familiar with the STNG universe.
Sophie Crane
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I am a Sci-fi fan I have watched all of the Next Generation and the movies and while this book differs from other sources it is close to the modern era Canon. A great story from the fans of Jean-Luc Picard.
Kimberly
Nov 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Picard deserves better.

I don’t read many autobiographies; in fact, I tend to avoid first person altogether. As an autobiography of some random Starfleet person, this is fine. The writing is fine but also tends towards a very straightforward chronicle of events instead of a memoir-like little insight into them.

If you haven’t seen much TNG, then this might be acceptable. Indeed the amount of references and name dropping with characters from TOS and ENT leads me to believe that’s where the author
Aaron
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written as an autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard, readers are taken through the experiences of one of Starfleet's greatest leaders. Familiar characters and events from a number of different Star Trek series are woven throughout the tale as it gives an insider look at what made him the person, the hero, that we know and love. While many of the events in the book are things we have already seen on the screen, particularly those that occur after he has taken command of the Enterprise-D, many of what ...more
Thomas Wells
While this book sounds absolutely nothing like the way I imagine Picard's internal monologue sounds, it's enjoyable how it fills in the apocrypha of the TNG universe. Worth reading.
Yaaresse
OK, first, let's stop referring to this as fanfic. David Goodman has six Emmy nominations for writing under his belt, and he actually wrote for Star Trek: Enterprise, so it's a few steps up from that.

Goodman's approach with this series is to take the known histories of these characters and fill in the gaps. He's not trying to reinvent the wheel or right an imagined wrong. Frankly, I wish some non-fiction writers would be a conscientious about sticking to the documented story. Like with the Kirk
C.T. Phipps
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF JEAN LUC PICARD is a decent enough Star Trek novel and serves as a good follow-up to the THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF CAPTAIN KIRK but I'm not exactly blown away by it either. I think part of the issue is that it feels very much like Captain Picard throughout the book and that's an issue with the fact we know he starts as a hotheaded jackass before evolving into a quiet more mature type. Unfortunately, he seems to start as a mature and quiet individual then stays that way throughout ...more
Denes House
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Originally posted at https://trekmovie.com/2017/11/03/revi...)

SPOILERS AHOY!

Over the years, some who have reviewed my career as captain of the Enterprise have questioned my decision, specifically how I could let a teenager who’d never gone to the Academy take the conn of the Federation flagship. My answer is that I trusted my first officer, who’d trained the young man, and our experiences proved him to be correct: Wesley was an excellent navigator and helmsman. But that wasn’t the true reason I
Anna Mann
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I watch next generation growing up and realizing some of these experiences was so fun!
If I had to honestly rate it I would give it a 4.25, because I felt the end of the novel was a bit rushed. It didn’t balance with the fullness of the rest of the book. I was so enthralled to hear more as Picards adventures advanced, I just feel like there could have been more expansion on certain defining moments.
Overall I would most certainly advise trek nerds to read this one with
James Hewkin
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Started watching TNG when I was 9 and have always remained a fan. This book was a fun way to get back into that universe. Goodman's interpretation of Picard's "voice" was mostly believable. Any fan who enjoys Star Trek for what it is and doesn't take these things too seriously will appreciate the effort made here.
Vegan Jon
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the Captain Kirk book before this, this imagined autobiography is superb. The tone is spot on and the incidents are well chosen, with a great balance of referencing well known big adventures and behind the scenes personal details and emotions. Picard's family life is especially riveting. This is a great reminder of The Next Generation ahead of Picard - the series.
Altivo Overo
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Machina ex deus I think

Goodman does a fine job of turning overlooked details into the links that connect dozens of discrete situations and stories. In the end, much is still left to the imagination but we have a better sense of how such things could come to be as well as how one tiny change could recast history and the whole universe we know.
James
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting insight into Picard's earlier years. After he takes command of the Enterprise-D about 2/3rds in, it jumps through prominent events of TNG fairly quickly, but it's enjoyable enough all the same.
Tj
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a quick read. The beginning and end are the most interesting bits because a lot of the middle rehashes much of the series, but from JLP's point of view. Still, I think it's a worthy read, especially for any level of Star Trek fan.
Kevin Snyder
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable.
Tammy
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, but not enough end of career/life details.....
James
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A page turner. It seems to take Picard's life right up to the new series so it's an excellent read before Star Trek Picard comes out.
Nancy Rushing
This book was picked as a bookclub book. I’m just not into Star Trek.
Brandy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course I would love this book. Hooked me from the prologue with Mr Q.
Tomoyo
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, I knew every episode that was referenced and connected the storyline of the series better for me.
Ash
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The moment I got the book, there were few pages exactly in the middle which were quite a nice and unexpected surprise.

As for the biography itself, almost slightly more than two thirds of the book was actually before Picard had been captain on the Enterprise. The first chapters dwell on the strained relationship between Picard and his brother and father. Then off to his academy years and his life aboard the Stargazer. What I loved most about this biography is it filled much needed gaps in the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cover now available-please update 3 18 Aug 03, 2017 09:13AM
Sounds like a must read for trekkies!! 1 3 Apr 21, 2017 11:57AM

• Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
  • The Way To The Stars
  • Star Trek: Picard - Countdown #1
  • Star Trek: Picard - Countdown #2
  • Collateral Damage
  • Dead Endless
  • Fear Itself (Star Trek: Discovery #3)
  • Drastic Measures
  • Available Light
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Captain's Oath
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Hearts and Minds
  • Original Sin
  • Desperate Hours (Star Trek: Discovery #1)
  • Star Trek: TNG: Mirror Broken #0
  • Star Trek: Picard - Countdown #3
David A. Goodman is an American writer, producer, and president of the Writers Guild of America West. He has been a writer for several television series, such as The Golden Girls, Futurama, where he was also a co-executive producer and wrote the notable Star Trek parody episode "Where No Fan Has Gone Before", and Star Trek: Enterprise.
“Is that a small moon?” I said. “Negative,” Data said. “It is an artificial construct, perhaps a space station.” “It’s larger than any space station I’ve ever seen,” 0 likes