Start by marking “Romancing the Scot (The Pennington Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
Romancing the Scot (The Pennington Family, #1)

Romancing the Scot

(The Pennington Family #1)

In this stunning series starter by USA Today bestselling author May McGoldrick, meet the new generation of Penningtons...five brothers and sisters of passion and privilege. Enter their aristocratic world…where each will fight injustice and find love.

Hugh Pennington—Viscount Greysteil, Lord Justice of the Scottish Courts, hero of the Napoleonic wars—is a grieving widower
Published November 14th 2017 by Swerve

Start your review of Romancing the Scot (The Pennington Family, #1)
Beverly
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was light on a lot of things for me, even though I was expecting a frothy read. Historically, I don't get the virginal woman jumping into heavy petting in her lust at first sight meeting. Also, did they say, you complete me in the early 1800s? I am no historian, but I doubt it. Plus, her aristocratic lover was such a feminist! Wow. At 70%, I almost did not finish, but I muddled through. I really like historical romances, this wasn't satisfying at all.
Carrie
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Grace Ware's father is an Irish military commander of Napoleon’s defeated army and she has spent her life traveling around with him and being his confidant. When they arrived in Antwerp under assumed names things did not go well when some men attacked and killed Grace's father sending her on the run. Grace found herself hiding in a warehouse from the men when she is nailed into the crate she chose to hide in and loaded for shipping.

Hugh Pennington, Viscount Greysteil, Lord Justice of the
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Authors holding $100 Visa gift card giveaway to celebrate new series! Click Giveaway for chance. Ends Nov. 26

The Napoleonic Wars are over but the political maneuverings are far from, Grace and her father are traveling with messages from Joseph Bonaparte to his wife Julie. They are attacked and Grace ends up hiding in a crate that gets shipped off to
Melanie
3.5 Stars!

Romancing the Scot was an enjoyable historical romance with an intriguing storyline, a heroine with a unique memory and a hero determined to see justice done.

Hugh Pennington receives quite a shock when he opens an expected crate from America and discovers a nearly dead woman inside. Grace Ware took shelter in the crate while fleeing her father’s murderers before she was unexpectedly trapped inside and shipped to Scotland. Upon awakening, Grace feigns amnesia while she comes up with a
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Romancing the Scot by May McGoldrick is the First book in the New Series called "The Pennington Family". This is the story of Hugh Pennington and Grace Ware.
Grace's father was once a high ranking military commander but in the Napoleonic wars left badly injured and Grace took on the job to take care of him. One of the jobs she has taken to help him was to be his secretary of sorts and help him continue his work. But on one of these meetings her father is killed and she runs to hide inside a
Barbara Rogers
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Series: The Pennington Family #1
Publication Date: 11/14/17

The first chapter sucks you in and you are held captive right through the last page. As always, the writing is superb, the pacing is just right and the characters are well developed and believable. I thoroughly enjoyed this first book in the series and can’t wait for Jo’s story in the next book!

We have murder, traitors, lies, spies, attempted kidnappings and best of all romance all packed into one excellent novel.

We first meet Grace Ware
Caitlyn Lynch
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a Regency romance lover, I’ve read hundreds, probably thousands, of books in the genre. And in all those books, I’m honestly wracking my brain to think of one where the heroine wasn’t on the ‘English’ side in the Napoleonic Wars. Which makes Romancing The Scot a standout right off the bat.

Grace Ware is twice an enemy to the English crown. Her father is an Irish military commander who was once Napoleon’s best tactical officer, her mother an exiled Scottish Jacobite. Fleeing her father’s
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Historical romances are some of my favorite. Throw in some mystery and heat and you've got Romancing The Scot. This book was set in the 1800's and the two characters, Grace and Hugh, are on opposite ends of the war. Hugh is a Lord Justice in Scotland (kind of like a judge) and Grace is Irish. Her father had fought the English at Waterloo and was gravely injured, leaving only Grace to care for him. His death, however, is not due to his injury (first major gut wrenching moment). Running
Caz
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this an A- for narration and a B- for content at AudioGals

Romancing the Scot is the first book in writing duo May McGoldrick’s series of Regency-era novels about the Pennington siblings. In this story, Hugh – Viscount Greysteil – a decorated former army officer and widower of eight years, meets his match in the form of a mysterious young woman who arrives unexpectedly and in a most unusual manner at his estate of Baronsford near the Scottish border.

Ms. McGoldrick provides an
Elaine
This is the first story in a new series focussing on the Pennington family and, in this book, the hero is Hugh Pennington, who is Viscount Greysteil and Lord Justice of the Scottish Courts. He lives on the family estate at Baronsford in Scotland after serving the Crown in the Napoleonic Wars during which his wife and son tragically died.

Grace Ware travelled incognito from America to Antwerp with her very ill father, an Irish military commander of some renown in the defeated army of Napoleon, at
Tracy Emro
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story, Hugh and Grace are wonderful characters that having you rooting for their HEA.

When Grace Ware finds her father and their servants dead and the villains still in the room, she runs. She hides in a shipping crate and ends up being sealed in.

When Hugh Pennington, Viscount Greysteil, Lord Justice of the Commissary Court, opens the crate housing his balloon gondola, the last thing he expects to find is an almost dead woman and a handful of American coins.

Grace wakes with a fever
JoRead
The story wasn’t bad but I had a few issues that didn’t let me fully enjoy this story.
It was a good romance story, not to mention the suspense sub-plot indeed kept me turning the pages. The thing is, I think there were too many things this book could have done without and it still would have been a good story.
It all started with lots of heart-pumping action. Someone murdered Grace’s father and now she’s trying to escape the same fate. Miraculously, she ends up in the land of a well-placed
Eva
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the first book in mcgoldrick's pennington series, romancing the scot, finds hugh, viscount greysteil opening a box he expects to contain a new basket for his hot air balloon only to discover a young woman trapped and nearly dead at the bottom of it.

he takes her in and with the help of his sister and his staff nurses her back to health. when grace awakens and realizes where she is, she is afraid to reveal herself fully. her father was a supporter of napoleon. by all rights and purposes she is
Debbie Glenn Brown
Grace Ware is an enemy to the English crown. Her father an Irish military commander of Napoleon’s defeated army dies right before her vary eyes and she runs for her life. She’s trapped in a hot air balloon basket where she is unknowingly crated and shipped overseas to Scotland where she’s deposit her at the home of an aristocrat in the Scottish Borders.
Hugh Pennington—Viscount Greysteil, Lord Justice of the Scottish Courts, hero of the Napoleonic war. His crate arrives as expected with his new
Lynsey A
This book was mentioned on some list I saw on Heroes & Heartbreakers, I can't recall which list. I thought it was a very sweet story. It left me with a very nice feeling. There was no strife, no anger between the hero and heroine. It was just an overall sweet story with a great hero and heroine. It's a nice warm and fuzzy read, with no angst and a low steam level. Cute story.
Ezinwanyi
3.5 stars.
Hugh Pennington, the Viscount Greysteil, found a half dead Grace Ware in a crate and his people nursed her back to health. When Grace was lucid, she feigned temporary amnesia so she can figure out if the Viscount was among the group who attempted to murder. They both began trying to figure out who was after Grace and who could be trusted. One thing that was clear was the chemistry between the Widowed Hugh and the fiery tempered Grace.

The best thing about this book was the kindness and
Mariana
Hugh Pennington—Viscount Greysteil, Lord Justice of the Scottish Courts, is the perfect hero. There wasn't all the lies, distrust, and back and forth due to uncertainty that is typical of the enemy to lovers trope; and I appreciated that.
Cathy Geha
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romancing the Scot by May McGoldrick
The Pennington Family #1

Goodness me! This was a book well worth reading! I am so glad there is a new series by this excellent husband-wife writing team! I could not stop reading once I began and even with a house to clean, menu to plan and guests arriving tomorrow – I had to finish this story and write the review tonight!

I can’t imagine being seeking refuge from certain death only to find myself locked in a box and transported for days without food, water,
kate
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As they say I wanted to love it. Loved "Borrowed Dreams " the parents story. Really like the brothers story in a Christmas Kilts. This one was just okay. I'm not a fan of the I'll never get over my first wfe trope. Nor do I understand why the first wife followed him to the war zone dragging their 3 year old with her.

I'm not a fan of insta lust. He finds the h in a crate, near death, lying in her own waste. Well it has been 5 days. How long can you hold it. They clean her up of course and ten
V SB
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely did not disappoint - from start to finish, it was packed with action, mystery, romance, spy vs spy, murder, you name it, it has it all! and darn, i just couldn't seem to put it down that i just had to finish it in one sitting- finally ended at 4 am ( thank you for the eye bags Ms. McGoldrick!)

It also had a different take on the highlander story line.. Instead of a Laird, you get a judge or aka Lord Justice of the Scottish Courts.. Hugh oh Hugh can i marry you instead?
Nadine
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am going to start by saying that I need book 2 stat!

Romancing the Scot was such a good book! So it happens a few years after the Napoleonic wars and we have a bit of a murder mystery wrapped in spies and finished off with a hot romance!

There is a lot going on in the book and I really love the fact that it is not a pure romance as a lot is attached to Grace and the fact that her father was one of Napoleon's commanders. So all that intrigue was most welcome and for me took the book and the
A Klue
May McGoldrick once again delivers a sweet romantic tale laced with danger lurking in the shadows. If you actually like history in your historical romance, you get a touch of that, as well. Also, some perilous, even deadly drama, where blood is spilled. What you won’t get is verra much Scottish brogue. But not to worry, this leading man may come off with gentlemanly English manners true to his station in life as a highly respected judge and lord of the manor, but he isn’t a sissified dandy. No, ...more
Shoshanna Ford
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my introduction to May McGoldrick and I was pleasantly surprised. After realizing this book starts off the second generation series, I immediately rushed off to purchase the book about their parents. I can’t wait to start it!

The characters were witty, interesting, and possessed of both intelligence and common sense (a feature sometimes missing from the genre). There was a moment at the very beginning of the book where Grace asked some street urchin boys to help her hide from her
Danielle Urban
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romancing the Scot by May McGoldrick is one of the most exciting historical romances that I've read. Scottish romances are the best. The Scottish characters like the heroine is brave, intelligent, and beautiful. Her skill of memory serves it's purpose in more ways than one. That's part of the attraction that draws in the hero of the story.

Grace Ware is a Scottish young woman. She lives her life by taking care of her father. A single parent. He has been injured in war against the English. Due to
Francoise
This story shines with fantastic heroes and a plot that was well thought-out and smart. I was genuinely caught up in the intricacies and details of the story and I could not put this book down!

Grace Ware’s father was an Irish colonel who fought on the side of the French during the Napoleonic wars. Her father is killed by strangers and Grace escapes sure death, trapped in a crate shipped from Antwerp to Scotland, barely surviving the crossing. The crate was sent to Hugh Pennington, Viscount
Kristy K
Romancing the Scot is truly a complete story. There’s romance, friendship, family, suspense, intrigue...it has got a little of everything and it all melds together to create an enjoyable historical fiction romance.

Hugh as the hero was perfect. He's protective while still allowing independence and exudes kindness and mercy even while having a bit of a temper. On the other hand, it did take me a while to warm up to Grace, but she ends up a great match for Hugh. I liked all of the secondary
Adria's Musings and Reviews
Originally posted on Adria's Musings and Reviews (Blog post MAY have additional content such as playlists, interviews, giveaways, etc).
* A copy of this book was and provided by the publisher via NetGalley/Edelweiss for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

What’s it About? Hugh Pennington, Viscount Greysteil, Lord Justice of the Scottish Courts finds more than he bargained for when his expected delivery contains a few
Minx
Romancing the Scot is the first book in The Pennington Family series and I feel this promises to be a wonderful series. This series is set in the early eighteen-hundreds in Baronsford Scotland but the Pennington family is actually English. At the start of this story we meet Grace Ware who was the daughter of a military commander who fought with the French against the English. Grace and her father were traveling from America to Brussels, but while stopped in Antwerp they were ambushed and Grace ...more
Petula
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a very short space of time Grace Ware goes from looking after her ailing father to running for her life. Her special gift is not going to be much help to her when her traumatic journey ends.
Hugh Pennington, Viscount Greysteil is taking a break from his duties as Lord Justice of the Commissary Court to take delivery if his new toy. He was not expecting the gondola to be occupied.
This story is full of danger and intrigue . Our brave heroine has to use the full power of her incredible mind to
Deb Diem
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romancing The Scot by May McGoldrick is an outstanding read. Ms. McGoldrick has delivered a well-written book. The characters in this book are phenomenal. Grace and Hugh's story is loaded with suspense, action, drama, humor and sizzle. This story grabbed me on page one and didn't let go until the last page. I loved reading Romancing The Scot and look forward to reading more from May McGoldrick in the future. Romancing The Scot is book 1 of The Pennington Family Series but can be read as a ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Enchanted by the Highlander (A Highland Fairytale, #4)
  • Christmas in Kilts
  • To the Duke, with Love (The Rakes of St. James, #2)
  • A Devil in Scotland (No Ordinary Hero, #3)
  • The Rogue Is Back in Town (The Wayward Wallflowers, #3)
  • The Right Kind of Rogue (Playful Brides, #8)
  • Wallflower Most Wanted (Studies in Scandal, #3)
  • A Duke Like No Other (Playful Brides, #9)
  • It's All About the Duke (The Rakes of St. James, #3)
  • The Luck of the Bride (The Cavensham Heiresses #3)
  • The Scandalous Flirt (Cinderella Sisterhood, #6)
  • One for the Rogue (Studies in Scandal, #4)
  • With This Christmas Ring (Studies in Scandal, #2.5; Lords of Anarchy, #3.5)
  • The Devil of Dunakin Castle (Highland Isles, #4)
  • The Wayward Bride (Besotted Scots, #1)
  • The Warrior of Clan Kincaid (Highland Warrior, #3)
  • The Bride Who Got Lucky (The Cavensham Heiresses #2)
  • First Earl I See Tonight (Debutante Diaries, #1)
May McGoldrick
(a.k.a. Nikoo & Jim McGoldrick)
Sign up for the newsletter and get a free ebook.

Two peas in a pod, a pair of halfwits, the Laurel and Hardy of romance fiction...Nikoo & Jim McGoldrick were married in St Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin 68

The Pennington Family (3 books)
  • It Happened in the Highlands (The Pennington Family, #2)
  • Sleepless in Scotland (The Pennington Family, #3)