Start by marking “The Mighty Thor, Volume 5: The Death of the Mighty Thor” as Want to Read:
The Mighty Thor, Volume 5: The Death of the Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor, Volume 5: The Death of the Mighty Thor

(The Mighty Thor (2015) #5)

Marvel Legacy hits Asgard with a bang, with...the death of the Mighty Thor! The final judgment comes as the Mangog arrives. The War Thor will meet the beast head-on, but even the bloodthirst of this Ultimate hammer-wielder may pale in comparison to the Mangog's might! The battle rages even as Jane Foster's cancer takes a turn for the worse, and she might not have to wait f ...more
Published June 26th 2018 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Mighty Thor, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mighty Thor, Volume 5

Start your review of The Mighty Thor, Volume 5: The Death of the Mighty Thor
Sam Quixote
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
After a strong opening couple books in Jason Aaron’s Jane Foster Thor run the series has stagnated under the “Mighty Thor” banner, never rising above “meh” and, for the last couple, “zzz…”. That said, Jane Foster’s time as Thor ends on a high note with her final adventure in The Death of The Mighty Thor. As much as I hate how Marvel don’t seem to have any ideas for new stories beyond the now boilerplate death/resurrection plotlines, this death storyline was surprisingly good, not least because A ...more
Chad
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jane Foster goes out on top as Thor. If she takes the hammer one more time, she will die. But Mangog has returned to wipe out Asgardia... Jason Aaron build this up magnificently. He had me devouring this to see what happened. Russell Dauterman and Matthew Wilson are at the top of their game. I'd never heard of Dauterman before his Thor run and now he's one of the top comic artists out there. I love his cinematic eye and clean lines. Wilson's colors make each page pop. These guys actually have me ...more
Cheese
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aye t’was a spectacular run.

The best thing about this Thor run is that they’ve found a good writer and they’ve let him run with it. Aaron’s run on Thor is ten times better than the Simonson run. I loved the Simonson run, it was epic and full of Norse mythologies and fantastic characters, but Aaron has taken it to another level. It’s a dream run for such a big Thor fan.

This was a fitting end to two Thor’s in this issue. The main one obviously being Jane Foster. Jason Aaron made Jane Foster the m
Artemy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel, comics
Ugh, I have such conflicting feelings about this volume. I really liked Jane Foster Thor even if the last couple of volumes were not good, and I never wanted her to leave the mantle behind even if her tenure as Thor was meant to be temporary from its very start, not just because of her illness, but because we saw a future Thor in Aaron's original Thor: God of Thunder series, and it was Odinson. Jane Foster was my first Thor, and it was the book that began my affection for Marvel's own corner of ...more
Paul E. Morph
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just spent the last two hours tearing through this book, the final arc of the Jane Foster Thor, and I'm now entirely emotionally exhausted... This story-arc may well be one of the absolute highlights of my forty year comicbook reading career. I'm simply... thunderstruck. (That's right; I went there.)

A huge thank you to Jason Aaron, Russel Dauterman and all their collaborators for some of the most epic comics I've ever had the privilege to read.
James DeSantis
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I kept battling back and forth what I should rate this. It's hard because a lot of it I do like but there's one major thing I thought didn't work.

So this is it. The War Thor goes head to head with Mangog right off the bat the final moments are on. Jane is extremely sick through most of this. Dr. Strange warns her one more time she grabs the hammer and she won't survive reverting back. Falcon, Strange, and Odinson, all watch over her so she doesn't pick up the hammer. When Mangog finally gets to
Aldo Haegemans
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never would have thought i would like a female thor. I loved this series. So well written.
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, marvel
Whoa.

Awesome volume. Jason Aaron once again proves himself worthy to be the writer of Thor.

Jane Foster is boss and this final volume of her as Lady Thor completely seals the deal for me.

The very first oversized issue in this volume makes the whole book worth buying...not that the rest of the story isn't as interesting (it is) but holy mole issue 700 is one of my favorite issues of a comic written in a helluva long time.
Malum
May 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

It's hard to talk about this volume without talking about SPOILERS, so you have been warned.

This was a solid four star book until the very end. So what happened to sour me on it? Well...

Ever since the debut of this new Thor, we have been working our way toward her death. Heck, they even called this volume The Death of Thor. So did they deliver on this?

Nope.

It was the old bait and switch. Jane Foster dies for about a minute and a half (to fulfill the b
Katie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The end of an era.
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-marvel, comics
Here's the thing: no fight against Mangog is ever that interesting. He's just a big, dumb Doomsday-like foe who keeps hitting and hitting until the plot calls for him to be defeated. There can be beautiful visuals (and, there are) but don't expect characterization or nuance.

Mangog of course comes out of nowhere to be the big threat that finally brings down the Mighty Thor. And, this is done well enough. Jane is told "Don't pick up that hammer or you'll die". And then of course she has to. There'
RG
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Wasnt overly engaged in this as other volumes. Maybe because I read it as single issues. Still emotional and thoughtful, solid artwork. Was a good overall series although probably not Aarons best work.
Liz
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great ending for a equally great comic!
Rod Brown
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The first half was a bit vexing, with all the plot points and every minor character being revisited and all the unrelenting and messy action sequences, but I felt Aaron and company brought the Jane Foster storyline to a decent conclusion when they made time for some small emotional moments between pyrotechnics.

Of course, that darn war of the realms garbage is still hanging out there to be resolved in another Thor title in the future. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll be seeing that through.
Ryan Stewart
Jason Aaron, you are truly worthy.
Lucie
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it

I’m not crying, you are.
Frédéric
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, thor
A great finale for a great character and a great series.

Obviously Jason Aaron revels in these kind of epic tales, ranging from brutal to overkill. Boy, does he love writing over the top characters, fighting monstrously violent battles with maximum carnage and debris.
And do I love to read them.

Because the thing is that even with most of the book filled with A-bomb punches and walls crumbling Aaron doesn't forget to tell a story. A great story at that. A rollercoaster of power, thrills and emotion
Kayla
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I never thought I'd cry over a comic, but here we are...
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[Read as single issues]

Malekith’s scheming has almost reached its peak, and the mighty Mangog has breached its prison – now it is on the war path, and it will not stop until all of Asgardia has fallen. Only one woman could even hope to stop it, but if Jane Foster becomes the Mighty Thor even one more time, there is no doubt that she will die. But the thunder calls to her, and she cannot resist, not when everything she cares about is in jeopardy.

It’s hard to do a story called ‘The Death Of The Mi
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
4.5 Stars

I have put off reading this last set of issues for the Mighty Thor for a very long time. Arguably too long considering I got them as they released individually. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to Jane Foster's Thor, still not to be honest, but this volume is amazing. The first issue alone was phenomenal and instantly reminded me why I adore the characters and worlds associated with Thor.

Now to delve into some side graphic novels to catch up on what my dear Loki got up to before I move on
ellis
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow was that an ending.
also really loved at the gates of valhalla. gonna be keeping the artists (Jen Bartel and Ramón K. Perez) in mind!!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
An emotional thrill ride - I love Lady Thor!!!
Jesse A
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jason Aaron is the greatest Thor writer of all time. I dont think its especially close.
Anne
Feb 21, 2020 added it
I have no idea how to rate this! I mean, I'm happy it's over... but of course, it isn't really over, is it? Jane's term as Mighty Thor is up - and I'm mostly happy how that plot arc was wrapped up - but it seems like the rest of the unending war of the realms will continue into infinity. Not that I'm going to be dragged into reading that, noooooo.

One of the things I appreciated most about all these Mighty Thors was the consistent artistic style throughout the series (yes, there were a few divers
Henry Blackwood
May 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Is Mangog a popular Thor villain? If so, that’s all I need to say about why ANY Thor is fucking shit. I had heard lots of good things about this Thor run but I have to be honest when I say that I’m hating everything about this run.

I thought that Jane Foster’s story would be interesting especially since the ‘set up’ of her dying a little more each time she picked up the hammer was such an interesting way to frame the story. But they fucking blew it because they spent all the time making Jane Fost
Mike
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poetic, tragic, and heartfelt. Nicely played Mr. Aaron - not just hammer swinging and heavy metal lyrics to keep us entertained, but give us a new hero to believe in Eh?

That’s the spirit - invest in characters and their struggles to live and die as humans always do - with mistakes, and good intentions, and using the tools available from what few tricks they’ve learned suit them. M

I’m quite certain that Jane Foster Thor hasn’t seen the last of our imaginations, and in fact has a couple of spectac
Drew
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelves, 2018
Nicole Westen
Of all the graphic novels I've read, only two have made me cry; Sandman: The Wake, and this. Well done Marvel, well done indeed.
Robert
Aug 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
POS more interested in being 'brave' and 'historic' than entertaining.
Sabrina
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first I found this installment too fragmented, but gradually the many Thors came together into a cohesive story. A fitting ending to this arc (or at least, part of it).
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• All-New Wolverine, Volume 6: Old Woman Laura
  • Champions, Volume 3: Champion for a Day
  • Avengers: No Surrender
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1: Best Coast
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 3: Hulk In Hell
  • War of the Realms: Spider-Man/Daredevil
  • Old Man Hawkeye, Vol. 1: An Eye for an Eye
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 6: Mayor Fisk
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h ...more

The Mighty Thor (2015) (5 books)
  • The Mighty Thor, Volume 1: Thunder in Her Veins