Start by marking “Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories” as Want to Read:
Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories

Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories

Platinum Pohl is the first collection to collect all of the essential works of Frederik Pohl. First and foremost, Pohl is a master of the science fiction short story. For more than fifty years he has been writing incisive, entertaining SF stories, several hundred in all. Even while writing his bestselling triple-crown (Hugo, Nebula, Campbell Award) novel Gateway and the ot ...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by Orb Books (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Platinum Pohl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Platinum Pohl

Rob
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Frederik Pohl turned ninety a couple of months ago, he's one of the last golden age writers still with us. I discovered his blog last year and it is a treasure among author blogs, I've been following it religiously ever since. Until I read The Last Theorem , his collaboration with another of the science fiction greats, Arhtur C. Clarke, I had never actually read anything by him and that of course had to change. Pohl does not appear to have a great many books in print at the moment but among the ...more
Rasheed
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
The Merchants of Venus (1972) novella
The Things That Happen (1985)
The High Test (1983)
My Lady Green Sleeves (1957) 3/5
The Kindly Isle (1984)
The Middle of Nowhere (1955) 5/5
I Remember a Winter (1972)
The Greening of Bed-Stuy (1984) novella
To See Another Mountain (1959) 3/5
The Mapmakers (1955) 4/5
Spending a Day at the Lottery Fair (1983)
The Celebrated No-Hit Inning (1956) 3/5
Some Joys Under the Star (1973)
Servant of the People (1983)
Waiting for the Olympians (1988)
Criticality (1984)
Shaffe
Edward B.
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Good stuff - classic early science-fiction.
It's funny how what really dates the material is more the background-noise of cigarette-smoking and casual sexism, rather than the ideas that Pohl was actually writing about.
Scott Holstad
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is an excellent collection of short science fiction stories. I'd read some of Pohl's work and knew he was prolific, but I don't think I had the appreciation for him that I now have. This is some kick ass work, encompassing decades of writing. Philip K. Dick is probably my favorite sci fi writer because he can do some truly amazing things, but I'd have to say Pohl is probably now my second favorite. Some of the stories which stood out for me were "The Day the Icicle Works Closed," "The Gold ...more
Monical
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I am a fan of short stories, and this volume was pretty good-- some dated, mix of space cowboy with "Twilight Zone," and a mix of quality-- some really good, some pretty enigmatic, and a few dogs. Pohl was both prolific and a solid writer, so for fans of science fiction short stories, put this one on your list. Sad note: lots of the sci fi mags that supported Pohl (and Stephen King and lots of others) are long gone, and I don't see replacements.... a loss of all of us! PS also had lots of good s ...more
Casey Hampton
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This was and is a fun romp through yesterday's tomorrow. I picked this up because of the first story in the collection and I kept reading until the end. While there are a few stories that seem a bit flat, there are several that are good and a few that are really good. If you are feeling the itch to read some short stories and you like Pohl's style, chances are you will like this collection. My advice is to take your time in reading this rather than trying to pound your way through it.
Micah Horton hallett
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was reading and enjoying this collection of of old-school single or double twist sci-fi stories, then I got to Day Million and fist pumped with the out-of-nowhere brilliance of it. Then I read Fermi and Frost, got my soul ravaged and sobbed quietly into my pillow for a bit. Read this whole collection just to get to these jems. Go on, just do it.
Don Bernal
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
good short stories - the science is a vehicle for more interesting conflicts and ideas; good variety of mysteries and humor, all full of interesting science; "the gold at starbow's end" is magical; "The Mayor of Mare Tranq" uplifting;
Kathy Sebesta
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Though the technology is definitely dated, there's nothing dated about Pohl's way of looking at and tweaking his universes. Altho I like most of the stories, my favorites are all at the end of the book. Look past the technology and you'll have a wonderful time.
Paul Hancock
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
some good and some not so good. The good news is that the good stories are really good. I'm sure each will find their own set of gems in this collection, and they will differ from those that I enjoy. grab a copy of this book and pick out some winners for yourself.
Elar
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Some stories were exceptional, others just very good.
Richard
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A strong collection. A few misfires, usually when Pohl is trying to be funny (and failing, as in "The High Test") or writing a story that's proven to be too much of its time. There are a few of the latter here, but at least with these stories, he's aged better than many of his contemporaries.

When he's on, he's very good, and the highlights here are solid contributions to classic SF in the style of the 1950s-1960s. Standouts for me were "The Merchants of Venus," "The Things That Happen," "The Kin
John D.
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hey, i know i hand out 5 star ratings like candy, but when it's good, it's good! This was a nice palate cleansing (if you call reading yet another scifi book just by a different author 'cleansing') in the middle of reading all of the Fleet of Worlds books. Winner of many awards, i was surprised i had never heard of F. Pohl- just escaped my radar completely. This collection of short stories is great-- reminded me of the days when my brother and i used to read scifi short stories that were mailed ...more
Mike
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mostly very good stories. I should probably give this 5 stars. I can’t really think of any thing wrong with this book. Other then I just didn’t feel super WOW about it. And I kind of need that in order to give 5.
Liz
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great bunch of stories from one of the sci-fi masters.
Ben
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A collection of a few legitimately good stories along with a larger number of okay ones that often strayed dangerously towards relying on gimmicky plot devices. The collection as a whole unfortunately suffered notably from a distracting amount of outdated male chauvinist attitudes from many of the characters.
Robert Walrod
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Highlights - "The Merchant of Venus," "The High Test," "The Mapmakers," "Waiting for the Olympians," "The Day the Icicle Works Closed," "The Gold at the Starbow's End," "Servant of the People," "Growing Up in Edge City."
Charles Bell
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Always great and entertaining. Pohl is the best.
Ned Stenger White
just a bookfull of great Pohl.
Christopher Sutch
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This wealth of stories shows Pohl at his best: great imagination, great humor, great humanism. Only occasionally disappointing.
Christine
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pohl is one of the undisputed masters of science fiction. His is no mere sci-fi--it's literature at its best. Go--read. you won't regret it.
Steven
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Long and wonderful collection of the late Frederik Pohl's shorter work. While there's a lot of sarcastic wit to be found, there are some elegiac moments as well, and a lot of excellent worldbuilding.
Richard Anderson
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quite a lot of nifty stuff, some of it a bit dated, and Pohl's no literary stylist.
Liz
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nls-dbt
This was the first book I have read by this author. The stories in the beginning of the book were really good, but as it went on, I will admit, I got bored. Overall it was a good book.
Jeff
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent selection of Pohl's short stories and novellas. Good read. Found some stories here that if you didn't read the originals they are probably hard to find.
Maria Park

• The Chains That You Refuse
  • The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF
  • The Ant King, and Other Stories
  • Unpossible and Other Stories
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II B (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #2B)
  • When the People Fell
  • Steel: And Other Stories
  • The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
“But what was even worse was not understanding the thought behind the words.” 0 likes