Start by marking “The Other Woman (Gabriel Allon, #18)” as Want to Read:
The Other Woman (Gabriel Allon, #18)

The Other Woman

(Gabriel Allon #18)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  26,927 ratings  ·  1,893 reviews
She was his best-kept secret …

In an isolated village in the mountains of Andalusia, a mysterious Frenchwoman begins work on a dangerous memoir. It is the story of a man she once loved in the Beirut of old, and a child taken from her in treason’s name. The woman is the keeper of the Kremlin’s most closely guarded secret. Long ago, the KGB inserted a mole into the heart of t
Published July 17th 2018 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Other Woman, please sign up.
Diane Bamford I read right past those words. Much of the book takes place in England so those words would be appropriate. Also, a number of English spies were part …moreI read right past those words. Much of the book takes place in England so those words would be appropriate. Also, a number of English spies were part of the story. I had no problem with them.(less)

·  26,927 ratings  ·  1,893 reviews

Start your review of The Other Woman (Gabriel Allon, #18)
Malia
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I had been looking forward to this book as a fun, fast-paced summer thriller, but I am sorry to say, I was left disappointed. The story felt disjointed, Gabriel boring and the pace quite slow until the last few hours. The writing is good, but the story just wasn't compelling for me this time, though I know I am in the minority feeling this way. I listened to the audiobook, and George Guidall's is, as always, a pleasant voice to have in one's ear, but apart from that, I didn't love this one.

Find
David Putnam
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Daniel Silva books and like John Sanford I can not in clear conscience rate them with your average Joe. So I compare them with their prior works. The last Silva, The Widow, was a fantastic read. This one (The Other Woman) however, was a good story but lacked the dynamic that made The Widow great. In the Other Woman, a good chunk of the story occurs in the past and without question is important to the plot. Too much of this historical story is "told" in narrative which dulls the immediacy ...more
Monnie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How did I love thee? When I counted the ways, I ended up with way more than 5 reasons. But since 5 stars is as high as most ratings go, that number will have to suffice - but it certainly isn't enough to do this book justice.

In the interests of full disclosure, Israeli intelligence chief Gabriel Allon ranks No. 1 on my top 10 list of all-time favorite book "heroes" - a place he's held for quite a few years now. This is his 18th appearance, and I'll say with no hesitation that he's in no danger o
Tim
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
All that's missing in this latest novel is an excellent ending. 8 of 10 stars ...more
Sandy
This is #18 in a series that is one of my go-to reads every year. Gabriel Allon, the MC, is a compelling character & the author always surrounds his tales of espionage with real life current & historical events & people.

In this outing, intelligence services in several countries become involved in the hunt for a Russian mole. There are connections to the Cambridge Five & its most infamous member Kim Philby.

Silva’s books are smart, fast paced & topical & this is no exception. I’ve become so fond
Jim
The 18th book in the Gabriel Allon series is contemporary with a little history included. Once again Daniel Silva turns his attention to Russia.

The story opens in Vienna. A city that Gabriel Allon knows well and which evokes strong and painful memories for him. He and his team are trying to bring in a Russian asset but he is assassinated before he can get to the safe house. News is leaked that Allon was in Vienna and Israel is blamed for the assassination of a Russian. Gabriel realizes that the
Stephen Lake
I guess the series has become too formulaic for me. Nothing fresh or unique about this novel, cranked out briskly since the last installment. And every bit as au courant as cable TV news’s obsession with Russian espionage. (Yes, there are great digs against both Putin and Trump. In some ways, this is a sustained, novel-length argument about how the Kremlin and SVR might well have its meat hooks into the sitting American President.)

Anyway...I binge read every single Allon novel over the last 18
Skip
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Another disappointing novel by Daniel Silva. Is Gabriel Allon now too old and family-driven to be the vivacious spy, strategist and art restorer of the past (or is it Silva himself who has aged dramatically?) This one is repetitious, unoriginal and downright dull, especially the first half. Basically, this one centers around a senior mole in the British intelligence community, where they have to rely on Gabriel because they cannot admit they have been duped for many years (think of Kim Philby, a ...more
The Real Book Spy
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this review and more at www.TheRealBookSpy.com

Gabriel Allon, the wayward son of Israeli intelligence who for many years has enjoyed the respect of people around the globe, especially other intelligence agencies, is experiencing a minor, unexpected fall from grace in Daniel Silva’s (House of Spies, etc.) latest novel.

The legendary spymaster who first joined the Office in 1972 to carry out operation Wrath of God, a mission put in place to respond, in force, to the terrorist group Black Septe
Cathleen Clements
I was disappointed in the last two books but this one, most of all. It's the end of a magnificent run, and I've reread the earlier books several times. I'm sad.
kartik narayanan
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent entry in the Gabriel Allon series. This book had more old-school espionage in it than the earlier ones - almost like a LeCarre novel. The ending is pragmatic and it leaves the series at a point which is quite intriguing.
Lewis Weinstein
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
another great thriller from Silva ... this one with a unique plot twist
Alex Cantone
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A part of Gabriel did not mourn Hughes’s passing, for it appeared he had met with the end he richly deserved. But why had Alistair Hughes died? It was possible that it was an accident, that Hughes had simply rushed into the street, into the path of an oncoming car. Possible, thought Gabriel, but unlikely. Gabriel did not believe in accidents; he made accidents happen. So did the Russians.

Israeli intelligence is “on the nose” with its allies following the aborted defection of Russian double-agent
Ed
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant!
Ruth Edenbaum
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spies, Traitors and Moles Well blended and Deftly Seasoned With a Dash of History

The Other Woman is Daniel Silva’s 2018 offering to his multitude of fans, and any lucky new readers who have started with the 18th book in the Gabriel Allon series. Some of us, myself included, were lucky enough to get a copy a few days in advance – the treat of all treats.

Compared to his last few books, The Other Woman is, in a way, a quieter book; there is less bling, fewer bombs, and if so inclined, one could act
L.A. Starks
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another book in Silva's amazing, wonderful Gabriel Allon series. Silva deserves all the acclaim he receives as a professional thriller author. I particularly like his European settings, and the twists and turns in the espionage games he outlines.

Four stars for two reasons: another commercial author or his editor or publisher gets struck by TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) and can't resist telling us that fictional character Gabriel Allon, and others, don't approve of Trump.
Also the plot
Claudia
I read Daniel Silva to get his 'take' on current international events and players. I know it's not gospel, but his POV truly informs the news.

Now he's turned his laser onto Russia and Putin...for several books we've had Gabriel battling Putin's SVR, his version of the KGB. As always, events in the novel directly mirror what we see developing in front of our faces...and it's chilling. It's easy to see the events in his book happening.

Gabriel can't leave the field, and he even brings Ari back, wh
Cindy H.
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh! I know Daniel Silva can do better! Lots of repeating of backstory, too much page filler- took close to 300 pages before any real plot movement. I’ll always love Gabriel Allon but past two books have been disappointing.
David Rubenstein
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Daniel Silva has written a long series of fabulous spy novels. They are centered on Gabriel Allon, a fictional character who is the top spy in the Israeli secret intelligence agency. He is also a renowned restorer of antique art, though this vocation does not enter into this particular story. The stories are always realistic, which is important for thrillers like these.

The novels in this series generally have slow-moving plots, but I do not find any of them to be boring. The reason is that each
Lynda Filler
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cried at the ending!

In the darkest hours of the night, another all-nighter—of the book kind. Just one more page...
Don’t be upset fans of Daniel Silva, but I was so emotionally invested in the ending that I cried! My life is far too busy right now to delve into a Gabriel Allon mystery, but, 24 hours later, I’m suitably blown away. Daniel Silva is the undisputed master of this genre.

Judith E
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, spy
You can always count on Gabriel Allon to flush out the mole and bring it to ground. When Israel’s Russian defector is gunned down, Gabriel and MI 5/6 work together to uncover the traitor. The trail leads to some very interesting Kim Philby history.

George Guidall was the narrator and the spy genre is not the best fit with his deep and bland voice. I thoroughly enjoyed this, my husband hated it, go figure.
Jill Mackin
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
There is a mole somewhere in Israeli or British Intelligence giving information to the Russians. One of my favorite special agents, Gabriel Allon is out to track that mole down. A good page turner. The story flows more slowly than his previous Allon adventures, but it was still a thriller!
debra
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-4*s Not my favorite of Silva's book. Rounded up for old times sake. ; )) ...more
Tasha
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spy-thriller
Another winner from Silva, although the last few chapters felt incredibly long and I could have done without all the traffic direction.
Lobstergirl
Russian double agent Kim Philby has had an illegitimate child (with the titular "other woman") and this child, instead of being raised by its mother, has been turned over to Philby and the Russians to be trained into spydom. (Treason is apparently in the blood, the child hankers after it, similar to the way conducting was in the blood of Carlos Kleiber and his father Erich, skating in the blood of Brett Hull and his father Bobby, and supermodelling in the blood of Kaia Gerber and her mother Cind ...more
Barry
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I freely admit that I love Daniel Silva, BUT only in the purest and most literary fashion imaginable. I thoroughly enjoy his characters - and his books are, indeed, character driven, wherever that means - I love his plot/stories including his politics with which I completely agree. Perhaps, most of all, I love the relationships that he creates between characters which is, to a large extent, expressed through their dialogue. Allon's Sardonic wit is such a treat to read and savor; I have found not ...more
Jenny
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller, spy
The Other Woman was book eighteen of Gabriel Allon series. The murder of Konstantin Kirov outside English safe house, the West blamed Gabriel Allon Chief of the Israel Secret Intelligence Service. However, Gabriel Allon did not do it. To clear his name and the service he leads Gabriel started investigation into the death of Konstantin Kirov. The readers of The Other Woman will follow the twists and turns in Gabriel Allon investigation to find out the truth.

I love this series and how Daniel Silv
Melissa
5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I decided to jump ahead and read the (almost) latest novel in the Gabriel Allon series and am I glad I did! This series has always been a consistently good series for me, but this one was just that next step up. This was a spy novel in ever sense of the John Le Carre word. A mole has infiltrated the highest levels of a Western Intelligence Agency. Is it the U.K.? Is it the US? I’m not going to tell... What I will say is this was very well done. There were no cartoonish, 2-dime
Mary Spencer
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All done, until next year when we meet again, Gabriel, mazeltov.
David C Ward
What's Next?: Book Review: The Other Woman 1 4 Aug 20, 2021 06:29AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong book title 5 17 Jan 01, 2019 07:16AM
Play Book Tag: The Other Woman by Daniel Silva - 4 Stars 3 14 Aug 31, 2018 04:28PM
Play Book Tag: The Other Woman - Daniel Silva - 3.7 Stars 6 27 Aug 10, 2018 08:42AM
Goodreads Librari...: incorrect listing. 2 19 Jul 17, 2018 01:21PM

• Daniel Silva Complete Series Reading Order
  • Total Power (Mitch Rapp, #19)
  • A Gambling Man (Archer #2)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker, #6)
  • Backlash (Scot Harvath #18)
  • Spymaster (Scot Harvath, #17)
  • The Sentinel (Jack Reacher, #25)
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • The Law of Innocence (Mickey Haller, #7; Harry Bosch Universe #34)
  • Wild Card (Stone Barrington, #49)
  • Crown Jewel (Simon Riske, #2)
  • The Wolves (John Wells, #10)
  • The Persian Gamble (Marcus Ryker #2)
  • One Good Deed (Archer, #1)
  • Ambush (Michael Bennett, #11)
  • Red War (Mitch Rapp, #17)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp, #18)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
See top shelves…
Daniel Silva was born in Michigan in 1960 and raised in California where he received his BA from Fresno State. Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public polic ...more

Gabriel Allon (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)
  • The Confessor (Gabriel Allon, #3)
  • A Death in Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4)
  • Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)
  • The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)
  • Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)