Start by marking “In a Flash! Writing & Publishing Dynamic Flash Prose” as Want to Read:
In a Flash! Writing & Publishing Dynamic Flash Prose

In a Flash! Writing & Publishing Dynamic Flash Prose

(Flash Writing)

Welcome to a genre that has zoomed into public notice with the Internet age and yet has a rich history. Flashes in both fiction and nonfiction are highly sought after by editors and publishers across a wide array of publications. This practical guide covers a diverse range of topics from the first spark of an idea through to the writing, editing, and submission/publication ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Vine Leaves Press

Be the first to ask a question about In a Flash! Writing & Publishing Dynamic Flash Prose

Start your review of In a Flash! Writing & Publishing Dynamic Flash Prose
Brittany Crow
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely recommend this wonderful book to anyone, aspiring writer or ardent reader alike. I found Faith's personal narrative entertaining and similar to my own life experiences (both in general and in my own writing career). She not only provides clear advice and instruction to those interested in the flash genre but opens herself to the audience on the page, exposing her own private thoughts and feelings...something we all (most of us) struggle to express so freely.

Written as if you were si
Karen
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Melanie Faith's In a Flash! is a brisk exploration of the flash form. Reviewing both flash fiction and flash creative nonfiction, Faith offers writing prompts, editing tips, and publishing ideas all involving flash form which is enjoying a surge of popularity in today's publishing world. Don't expect a dry, academic read, though, as Faith also inserts her own personal stories and experiences with this dynamic form. A great read for both writers and teachers!
Leslie M.
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m relatively new to writing flash fiction, and I thought this book sounded like it’d be extremely helpful for a newbie, and I was correct. The author provides clear examples and numerous activities, so it’s useful for writers at any stage. It doesn’t feel like an instructional manual. I’ve only tried a few of the prompts, but I’m looking forward to trying many more. She also includes editing and publishing tips mixed in with her own personal stories.
Damien
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, philosophical, and fun.

I found In a Flash! to be insightful, with real-world examples, and prompts for flash writing. It is a must-have for every budding author.

As a writer, who is at the beginning of his literary adventures, In a Flash! really helped me think outside the box and how to look at character development, emotional context, and how to improve my craft in writing.

I fully intend to keep this book close by when writing for easy reference.
Michael Morris
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-writing
The first thing one notices about this fine book is the author’s enthusiasm for her subject and her students/readers. This sets a positive tone for the whole book, and doesn’t get sappy in chapters where she addresses the difficulties of writing, such as writer’s block and discouragement after rejection.
Ms. Faith supports her ideas from her own experiences, not only as a writer, but as a teacher, an aunt, and as a friend. Doing so, and lots of easy to digest example pieces from other writers, k
Edna Wallace
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-on-writing
Flash prose is a dynamic genre––compelling to read and a joy to write. Melanie’s book, In a Flash, shares personal insights and instruction on how to get stories from our minds to the printed page. The creative, cleverly written prompts (and there are a ton of them) invite the muse to come knocking if the door is left ajar just a little.
I loved this book, and it got a workout from me that other noteworthy writing books haven't. If you are inspired by authenticity, creativity, humor, and enthusia
Annabelle Fern

• The Jewish Wedding Now
  • The Kitchen God's Wife
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Heart-Shaped Box
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Leaving the Saints: How I Lost the Mormons and Found My Faith
  • The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation Into the Writing Life
  • The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3)
  • Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4)
Melanie Faith’s writing has been published in numerous literary journals and small presses and has been nominated for three Pushcart Prizes. Her flash fiction placed in the Bevel Summer Prize for Short Short Stories and was subsequently published in Shenandoah. She finds joy practicing and teaching in several genres, including: poetry, creative nonfiction, flash fiction, flash nonfiction, and inst ...more

Flash Writing (3 books)