Start by marking “Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility” as Want to Read:
Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility

Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility

When it comes to recruiting, motivating, and creating great teams, Patty McCord says most companies have it all wrong. McCord helped create the unique and high-performing culture at Netflix, where she was chief talent officer. In her new book, Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility, she shares what she learned there and elsewhere in Silicon Valley.

McCor
Published March 9th 2018 by Silicon Guild (first published January 9th 2018)

Gary Moreau
This is one of a gazillion books about creating the team you need to be the next Netflix. Is it worth it? That depends.

If you’re looking for a passionate, pleasantly irreverent, contrarian perspective on building a high performance team, then the answer is probably yes, and you should consider this book a 5+.

If, on the other hand, you’re looking for definitive answers on how to measure performance and talent, this book is another 1 or 2.

If you agree with McCord that the annual performance revi
Bella
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excuse my language but I tabbed the $—- out of this book. I’m still trying to write down my notes and digest everything. I can’t wait to share it with my colleagues so we can talk about our thoughts and draw up some ideas. It’s a refreshing read that cuts to the chase. And OMG, thank you to the author for not making it a process or something that sounds like a “listacle,” in which the reader has to go through a linear, step-by-step, “here’s how to implement” kind of thing. The approach is more h ...more
Quintin Zimmermann
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The nature of business in the modern technological age is evolving away from behemoth sized workforces to smaller highly skilled teams working deftly in unison within dynamic operational systems.

As the workplace evolves so should human resources - building a high-performance culture that can anticipate and keep pace with rapid change within the business itself and from competitors.

I thoroughly enjoyed Patty McCord's account of her exploits at Netflix which evolved from a DVD-by-mail business to
Ian
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
There is a good book hiding in here somewhere, underneath all the bathwater-sipping, survivorship bias, and self-promotion. Something about transparency, decisiveness, information availability, and individual decision-making. But the average employee at the average startup should be pessimistic if they see their founder reading this.
Glenn Elliott
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The foundation of a great business book is a great story and boy does Patty McCord have a great story. She joined Netflix right at the start, carpooled into work with the CEO each day and spent 14 years pioneering a radically performance focused HR approach. What makes her journey especially exciting and valuable is that her experience at Netflix isn’t just a reaction to the unique circumstances Netflix was in - pioneering a new market and a new technology- its the fact that McCord and CEO Reed ...more
Jane Erickson
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I've been fascinated with the high-performance culture of Netflix for some time, so was excited to see all its elements condensed into a crisp, essentialized book like this. The book was written by Netflix's former Chief Talent Officer, Patty McCord, and reads with a frank, no-fluff tone that unapologetically challenges conventional views about management and culture.

My conclusion after reading the book is that the Netflix culture works...for Netflix. For a company in a certain stage of developm
Simon Eskildsen
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
Brutally honest book by someone with serious experience from the field. It’s pragmatic, honest, credible, and invoragtingly subjective. It’s not a classic business book. The stories are real stories from a real company. Patty thinks about Netflix in an refreshingly integrated way. When the company faced an 8-month deadline to get on the next Wii cycle (or would have to wait 2 years), the recruiter who hired the engineers for the team felt it was as much her celebration, as that of the engineerin ...more
Viktor Yakovenko
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Бывший HRD Netflix, Пэтти Маккорд написала увлекательную книгу о становлении корпоративной культуры в компании - иконе современной индустрии развлечений.
Основной посыл: систематический и последовательный пересмотр фундаментальных HR процессов, в том числе таких как: performance appraisal, job grading & retention:
"Ключевой урок, усвоенный нами в Netflix, заключается в том, что сложная, многоуровневая система управления людьми, которая возникла и развивалась на протяжении 20 века совершенно не
Kasia Michalak
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best book I've ever read about building the culture of responsibility, wise hiring and managing the company.
Tõnu Vahtra
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My prior knowledge of Netflix was limited to Chaos Monkey and big data success stories and I had not read about the culture behind it. The book and the slide deck which predates the book definitely makes a number of bold statements. I like the approach of tackling the rise in complexity with more high performance people and creating the conditions for recruiting and motivating such people.

Aman Mittal
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The nature of business in the modern digital and information overload age is ever-changing. The foundation of Patty McCord's book Powerful - Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility is that the as workplace progress, so should human resources.

The author challenges the old, traditional corporate HR that include annual performance reviews, retention plans, engagement programs, etc.
She clearly speaks her mind in the early chapters that these activities and actions are a mere waste of time
Olivia
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definite departure from the typical corporate culture I am used to. Right now, I can only imagine working in an environment like that. An open and honest work environment sounds wonderful when coming from a place where that type of feed back is not promoted. Transparency and open communication goes a long way, this book focuses a lot on changing work place politics and HR standards by using these methods. I wish more places would start leaning into ideas like this. Failing to do so and keeping t ...more
Ryan Lackey
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent short book which presents some of the core ideas from the “Netflix culture deck” (pay market salaries, be fast to replace people, get rid of useless process like annual reviews, ...). I think the Netflix deck actually is a better document than this book, but this one is short and blissfully free of the filler found in many business books.

The thing I dislike about both the deck and this book is how lacking in context they seem to be. The Netflix model works really well for certain kinds
Jamie Bowen
Patty McCord joined Netflix at the right time, i.e. at the beginning, which allowed her and the rest of the executive team to create a culture that they wanted and free from the shackles of old management theories. How exciting must this have been? I believe this shines through in this book and it's an easy read. Quite how easy this would be to do a company whose been going for a number of years and with an embedded culture, I'm not sure but I believe so much can be learnt from this book. Great ...more
Chintushig Tumenbayar
Хамт олон, баг бүрдүүлэx ямар чуxалыг одоо үед хүн бүр мэддэг болсон. Нөгөө талд чадварлаг албан хаагчидийг багтаа нэгтгэx хүсэл аж аxуй нэгж бүрд байдаг шүү дээ. Би хүртэл заримдаа ажилтан хайсаар өөрөө тэр ажлыг хийж гүйцэтгэx тоxиолдол олонтой. Энэ асуудлаар сүүлийн үед олон ном хэвлэл гарж байгаагийн нэг нь энэ ном гэж ойлгож болно. Заx зээлийн эрэлт хэрэгцээ хурдтай өөрчлөгдөж буй теxник теxнологийн салбарт 2 ч удаа шинэчлэлт хийж эргэлт авчирсан Нетфликсийн хүний нөөцийн албаны хүн та бидэ ...more
Candi
This was a fairly interesting book. I've lived those some of these techniques and can agree with the outcome. There are other parts that I can't quite get on board with it. I guess I've only worked in small companies so it may be more fitting for bigger companies. It comes down to trusting each other, being transparent, and treating each other as adults, not children. I think it's fair to have the conversation with someone who isn't quite a good fit anymore so they can blossom in a better place. ...more
Nuno Miguel
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: productivity
Fabulous insights about the culture of one of the biggest and fascinating companies of the world. Some things will astonish you, others perhaps leave you perplexed, but you can't stop from recognizing the sheer passion the author, Patty McCord, has for Netflix and how her vision about people, work and top notch performance lead to the company's success. Also, she loves engineers! Recommended :)
Sten Tamkivi
Nice, quick insider view of the the principles of Netflix culture by the head of HR from the early days. Was expecting a bit more depth, though -- I finished the read feeling the curtain wasn't lifted much over the repeatedly discussed cultural anecdotes you see in any media coverage of Netflix or Reed Hastings' admirable style running it.

If you've never heard of Netflix' internal workings, I suggest start with the famous Culture Deck instead: https://www.slideshare.net/BarbaraGil...
Minwoo
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great supplement to the well-covered Netflix culture (deck). I appreciated it being a short read so that the author doesn’t draw out the concepts for the sake of it. Yet left feeling a little bit more of behind the scenes stories or something new. Still, a must read for many in my opinion.
Marta Kondryn
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on culture and people management I've read - very honest and full of truth.
Romans Karpelcevs
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the book a lot and I love the concepts behind it. It shared a lot about building and managing a company or a team, things you can pick up from many other books. The difference is that here it's packed, and yet easy to read (or listen).
I understand this may not be sympathetic to everyone (and there's no research/stats but rather one person's experience), but it is to me, and very much so.
Stephen Collins
I've just finished Patty McCord's Powerful. It's probably the best book on organisational culture and managing people that I've read (note, confirmation bias hard at work here, as it aligns with my own views pretty closely). I can't recommend it more highly.
Barry O'Reilly
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most disruptive and actionable book for HR and culture leaders you'll find.

Outstanding.
Johan P
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: jobb-self-study
Inspiring examples from what seems to be a fantastic company on the rise. It left me with the feeling that I’m truly working at an OLD corporation where a lot should be challenged.

I dislike the fact that it’s all based on personal opinion and trials - not a single connection to any scientific studies or academia. The entire book has a feeling of “It worked here - so it probably works everywhere”-attitude which is a bit frustrating.
Marius Greblikas
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Netflix ten, Netflix šen, Netflix padarė tai, dabar visi daro irgi, nes tai labai gerai...Jei nors kiek būni IT srityje, tai tikrai žinai Netflix ir ką mes turime šios kompanijos dėka. Tačiau knyga ne apie IT, gal net ne apie pačią Netflix, gal tik iš dalies, nes visa knyga yra per HR (žmogiškieji resursai) prizmę. Labai įdomūs pasakojamai apie specialistų samdymą, komandų formavimą, santykius tarp kolegų, pačios įmonės evoliucionavimą iš „startuolio“ į pasaulinio lygio kompaniją ir t.t.
Įdomu s
Gaurav Gupta
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
An amazing book to build a company in current fast moving and ever changing industry in 21st century. A book filled with author's tough experiments, derived facts and immensely useful tips. I'd recommend to every business leader for any fast growing company.
Vera
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It's the first time you read about something that really hits you. After Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead every book about corporate culture and how to manage human resources has a secondary feel to it. I still liked it but it didn't blow my mind. What I really liked is its brutal honesty - I believe some ideas that are in this book are not widely communicated even though evidence shows that management follows them more often than they admit. Thi ...more
Christopher Litsinger
This is a book-form explanation of the Netflix culture deck. The book is short and thought provoking and walks through many ideas that I'm sure will stick with me for some time.
For me the book fell short on practical advice on implementing these ideas in an environment where the CEO is not strongly pushing that the ideas be implemented. McCord also tends not to cast a very critical eye at the culture she describes.
Aldo Aguirre
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Really enjoyed this book. McCord avoided doing what a lot of business non-fiction authors tend to do, which is to follow the structure of: "Here's the main idea, here are 3 examples of the main idea, and here's a summary of the main idea again". The book is short (140 pgs) but i'd rather read 140 pages that have strong ideas, than a 300 page book that has been diluted because they tried to make it longer.

It was interesting to read this book after having read Kim Scott's "Radical Candor", since
John
Feb 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very much a "here's what we did" without examining the root cause or true reason for doing so. Unfortunately, it comes across as if Patty McCord is desperately trying to claim a lot of this culture building as her own, despite the culture clearly flowing from the founders. Ultimately an empty book that falls for the notion of culture being a bunch of things that are done, rather than an out-flowing of the true heart within the organisation. A frustrating read that barely scratches the surface.
Unable to follow the login procedures to Binance account 1 2 Dec 19, 2018 09:37PM
  • High Growth Handbook
  • Alive at Work: The Neuroscience of Helping Your People Love What They Do
  • Herding Tigers: Master the Transition from Maker to Manager
  • The Open Organization: Igniting Passion and Performance
  • Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers
  • Open Business Models: How To Thrive In The New Innovation Landscape
  • The Messy Middle: Finding Your Way Through the Hardest and Most Crucial Part of Any Bold Venture
  • Dying for a Paycheck: Why the American Way of Business Is Injurious to People and Companies
  • The Davis Dynasty: Fifty Years of Successful Investing on Wall Street
  • Great at Work: How Top Performers Do Less, Work Better, and Achieve More
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • The Fixer: My Adventures Saving Startups from Death by Politics
  • What Motivates Me: Put Your Passions to Work
  • The New Capitalist Manifesto: Building a Disruptively Better Business
  • Het weekend van 7 dagen
  • Netflixed: The Epic Battle for America's Eyeballs
  • Production-Ready Microservices: Building Standardized Systems Across an Engineering Organization
  • Build an A-Team: Play to Their Strengths and Lead Them Up the Learning Curve
Patty McCord brings the Silicon Valley concepts of fresh ideas and innovation and applies them to rethinking the way we work. She challenges norms and invites us to reconsider the idea of “best practices.”

From her many years working with companies that range from very large global tech companies to small very small innovative start-ups, Patty saw first-hand how companies can become slow and compla
“Great teams are not created with incentives, procedures, and perks. They are created by hiring talented people who are adults and want nothing more than to tackle a challenge, and then communicating to them, clearly and continuously, about what the challenge is.” 3 likes
“Trust is based on honest communication, and I find that employees become cynical when they hear half-truths. Cynicism is a cancer. It creates a metastasizing discontent that feeds on itself, leading to smarminess and fueling backstabbing.” 2 likes