Start by marking “The Woman in the Woods: A Charlie Parker Thriller (Charlie Parker, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Woman in the Woods: A Charlie Parker Thriller (Charlie Parker, #16)

The Woman in the Woods: A Charlie Parker Thriller

(Charlie Parker #16)

The new thrilling instalment of John Connolly's popular Charlie Parker series.

Charlie Parker aids the police when a buried, semi-mummified body of a woman is discovered. She apparently died of childbirth. Parker has to find out who she was and what happened to the child.

Audiobook, Unabridged, 15 pages
Published June 12th 2018 by Simon Schuster Audio (first published April 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman in the Woods, please sign up.
Danny Mcgee This series should absolutely be read in order. The things that happened in the very first book are still resonating now both in the attitudes and…moreThis series should absolutely be read in order. The things that happened in the very first book are still resonating now both in the attitudes and beliefs of the characters and in the plot. It is worth stating however that each book provides a self contained story. What I find amazing though is that after 16 books and two maybe three short stories answers to the main mysteries are still thin on the ground. In fact if anything the main thread is only just starting to open up. (less)

Meredith
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is how it’s done!

The Woman in the Woods is a dark, complex, mystery/thriller about a female corpse that’s literally unearthed in the Maine woods.

The plot is almost too complicated to describe, so I am only going to include basic details: Charlie Parker is hired to investigate the corpse of the woman of the woods. His investigation puts him in contact with some unique, dangerous individuals. Characters from previous books make appearances, including Moxie, Jennifer, Sam, and my favorite cha
Debra
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***CRACK***

That is the sound of John Connolly hitting it out of the ball park yet again! I honestly think these books are getting better and better! This is the sixteenth book in the series and it feels as if Connolly is only getting warmed up! I was first introduced to this series when I received book twelve, The Wolf in Winter, through a goodreads give away!!! I was hooked!!!! I have gone back and read some previous books but have been on top of the books that have followed The Wolf in Winter.
Karl
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 16th Charlie Parker novel, “THE WOMAN IN THE WOODS”, went on sale in Ireland at the beginning of February 2018, and will be available in the UK on April 5, 2018 then in the United States, sometime in June 2018.

Does size matter? John Connolly’s new Parker book “The Woman in the Woods” checks in at almost five hundred pages. It’s amazing to realize that these Parker books have been gracing our bookshelves for twenty years now. Dating from the first book in 1999 “Every Dead Thing” the career an
Phrynne
John Connolly never lets me down and this book, the sixteenth in his Charlie Parker series, is no exception. The main characters, Charlie, Louis and Angel, are all on my list of book heroes!

This really is a series to read OCD style from book one. Each book, including this one, feeds on earlier characters and story lines and to properly appreciate many of the characters you have to have watched them grow. Charlie in particular has developed into a force to be reckoned with and he has help now beh
Char
At this, the 16th novel in the Charlie Parker series, I find myself still blown away by the quality of the writing and the depth of the story. Charlie Parker rocks!

But it's not just him, is it? It's Louis and Angel, a pair of gay henchmen, (but I mean "henchmen" in the best way), whose story has to be counted among the greatest love stories of all time, at least in my humble opinion. Their relationship is complicated and wonderful all at once, as is my love for them both.

It's Charlie's daughter
Liz Barnsley
This is book 16 in the Charlie Parker series. Let’s just take a moment of silence for that one…

Ok that’s quite enough of that – this may be a long running series but it is just as exciting, just as riveting, I’m not even sure what I’m saying – I mean more of course not just as – it gets better and better and changes the game every time.

No different with The Woman in the Woods which had the after effect just a little while ago of me rummaging through the toy box to throw far far away anything tha
Juli
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually have a rule about reading book series in order. The book blurb for this one sounded interesting enough for me to break my rule. The Woman in the Woods is the 16th book in the Charlie Parker series. While some characters from prior novels pop back up in this one, I was able to follow the story and figure things out enough to really enjoy this book. The plot is complex...the characters gritty....and the suspense almost unbearable. I loved it! I now have to back track and start the Charli ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Someday must I take time off from my busy reading schedule to re- read the Charlie Parker series. It's such a fabulous series and I envy those that have yet read a single book and will discover just how great the books are and have 16 (as of now) books to read. Do you need to read the previous books in this series before you read THE WOMAN IN THE WOODS? No, the books can be read as stand- alone, however, there is a theme running through the books that all starts in the first book when Charlie Pa ...more
Bam
What sets these Charlie Parker thrillers apart from many other detective stories is the touch of the supernatural. In this latest in the series, a tree falls in the woods in Maine revealing the shallowly-buried remains of a young woman. Buried with her are a placenta and umbilical cord, so it appears she died in childbirth. But did her baby survive? Is it buried elsewhere?

Charlie Parker is asked to investigate by the Jewish lawyer, Moxie Castin. He is intrigued because whoever buried the woman c
Jon Recluse
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
When a tree falls in the Great North Woods, revealing the mummified body of a woman who apparently died in childbirth, it does more than make a sound.....it tolls a death knell whose echoes reach far beyond the poor soul nestled in it's roots.
The discovery of the body moves lawyer Moxie Castin to an act of decency...hiring Charlie Parker to discover who this woman was, and to find her child.
Not the simplest of assignments, but Charlie could use something to occupy his mind, as Angel lies fightin
Monnie
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how I look forward to reading books in this series - this is the 16th, I believe, so I've had lots of practice. Even though my mystery/thriller tastes don't cross the line into the paranormal, I've made an exception for private detective Charlie Parker, who somehow managed to die three times and return to the land of the living. But that experience didn't leave him unscathed; inexplicably, he remains "connected" to that very dark place in which he narrowly escaped making his forever home. He ...more
Bill
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
“It was the season of awakenings.”

I couldn’t put this one down.

Seriously.

I love this series and this one was fuckin’ awesome from cover to cover. Can’t wait for the next in the series.

If you aren’t reading John Connolly, then you are missing out big time.

Seriously.
Emma
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Review to follow.
Truman32
I really like John Connolly’s Charlie Parker detective series. I’ve been reading them for almost twenty years now and I have found each new addition to be as reliably exciting and enjoyable as a starlit kiss on a Tahitian beach with 1980’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit supermodel and multimillionaire businesswoman Kathy Ireland. Sizzling! Connolly’s newest Parker thriller, The Woman in the Woods, however does not pack the usual heat. Instead of a tropical surf and turf smoocharoni with a bikinied ...more
Brandon
The Woman in the Woods is the sixteenth book in Connolly’s long-running Charlie Parker series yet it somehow feels just as fresh as the first. It’s hard to dive deep into the plot without potentially giving away some light spoilers from prior books, so if you want to remain a virgin to the series, maybe skip this review and go pick up Every Dead Thing already.

The remains of a woman are discovered partially buried in the forest. Evidence suggests that she had given birth shortly before her death
Mark
After a year of anticipation the book did arrive and it took me some willpower to not drop everything I was doing and reading to start reading the new installment of this Charlie Parker novel. Which is quite a compliment if the 16th book in a series is that good and does not disappoint and actually makes you want to read the next book.
John Connolly has written & created an interesting series starring PI Charlie Parker whose daughters look after him, not unlike his friends Louis & Angel a
Thebooktrail
description

link: Visit the locations in the novel

Enjoyed this with some Irish pancakes on Shrove Tuesday and it was all the topping and filing I needed!

John's writing is short sharp and you can imagine he flicks his pen off to the side when he writes some of these sentences - such is the effect they have on the reader like me. I gasped, cheered and high fived ( as the grave of the women is revealed in very short chapters) before settling in again for the next chapter.

Some darn fine plot and twists here. Fr
Cathrine ☯️
2.5 🤡 🤡
My first read by this writer and perhaps not the best place to start in this series? I'm not a fan of the supernatural but he's such a good writer he rather pulls it off some of the time. But what the heck was going on with the search for the Buried God, the Atlas, and preparations for the coming of the Not-Gods? Huh? Did I miss something in earlier installments? Do I even care to find out? Definitely had love/hate reactions with this one but would love some input from JC fans.
Sue
Once again, John Connolly has written a great story in the further life of Charlie Parker as he continues his efforts to help his friends and those who have been harmed or threatened by evil, as he continues to grieve for his lost first family and almost anticipate that time he may join his first daughter on the other side. But he won’t hasten that time...too much unfinished work.

In this episode, the title reflects a reality; a woman is found in the Maine woods in a shallow grave. She is just on
Michael Hicks
Deep in the Maine woods, a tree falls and unearths the remains of a woman, the only mark of her grave a Star of David carved into a nearby tree. Soon, a wave of violence will disrupt the lives of a handful of people as the search for the woman's child ensues, and the book the woman once possessed in the days leading to her demise. Drawn into this is Charlie Parker, a private investigator touched by darkness, and for whom violence surrounds him.

The Woman in the Woods is the 16th entry in John Con
Rowena Hoseason
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Many readers typically discuss the darker, arcane side of John Connolly’s Charlie Parker series but – as the 16th book brilliantly demonstrates – there’s a solid private detective story at the core of this convoluted story. So while a dark cabal plots the end of everything and the rise of apocalyptic gods, social issues and the practical plight of credible people form the book’s main focus.

Charlie has been hired to find a lost child, and what follows is a good old fashioned gumshoe investigation
The Real Book Spy
Read this review and more at www.TheRealBookSpy.com

Charlie Parker is back, and he throws down with the Devil himself in The Woman in the Woods, the 16th book in John Connolly’s New York Times bestselling series.

Deep in the Maine woods, heavy rain leads to a disturbing revelation. The corpse of a young woman, her body perfectly preserved in a secret grave, is suddenly unearthed, raising a number of questions. Chief among them, what happened to her baby? Forensic analysts have determined that th
Donna Davis
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that love horror.
Connolly is one of a handful of writers whose names I search when I go to Net Galley. He’s consistently brilliant, and so I am grateful to Atria Books and Net Galley for the review copy. This book is for sale now.

This is number sixteen in the popular Charlie Parker series, which began as detective fiction with mystic overtones reminiscent of James Lee Burke, and in the last volume moved into the horror genre outright. Either way it’s a compelling series. One of my favorite aspects of this serie
Sara
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the phrase, a sense of an ending. Endings are always viewed as such negative things. We equate ending with death or loss but putting it this way always makes me think more of falling into a pleasant sleep, finding peace after a very long, very hard road.

I have a sense, finally, that the ending is coming for Charlie Parker. And while that is a tragedy it also fills me with a sense of grave joy. Because if ever a man has deserved a long rest it is Parker.

John Connolly picks up the narrative
Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: THE WOMAN IN THE WOODS by John Connolly (Charlie Parker #16)

The inimitable private detective Charlie Parker never disappoints, nor does his creator, John Connolly. Every adventure of Parker's is riveting, raising further the veil hiding the Other Side. In this novel, Charlie Parker becomes if possible more philosophical, more metaphysical, even more attuned to the supernatural, preternatural, the otherworldly. His deep and abiding capacity for self-analysis put me in mind of St. Teresa o
Gatorman
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid entry in the Charlie Parker series about the mystery of a dead girl found buried in the woods and the whereabouts of the child she appears, by the evidence, to have delivered prior to death. An interesting new villian, Quayle, and his creepy female partner, Mors, create plenty of tension and give Charlie something new to focus on. Louis and Angel make their appearances with Angel recovering from major surgery and Louis causing more trouble for Charlie with his violent ways. The one drawbac ...more
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I’d seen some stellar reviews for this book back when it was released in hardback last year. I have to admit that I’ve not read any of the previous books in the series but due to those reviews, the book was on my radar. When I saw that the paperback had just been released and I read the deliciously dark blurb I decided that I had to give it a go.👍📚

There’s a brief recap of key events
aPriL does feral sometimes
'The Woman in the Woods' is number 16 in the Charlie Parker detective series. While Charlie Parker is pursuing yet another possible fallen entity who is wreaking havoc on innocent people - because of a book! - his besties Louis and Angel are undergoing a different kind of wrestling match with Death.

This is a dark, often horrific, series which must be read in order. Begin here: Every Dead Thing. Some of the novels have extreme graphic violence; others are exactly what readers expect from mystery
Pamela
DNF. I am not a fan of the occult or paranormal, which predominates this book. I read to page 100 and realized this book-series is not for me, what with ghosts, etc. All of which to say , I am a tad disappointed, because the writing is SUPERB with rich characterization. I wish this author would write a more “mainstream” series! His writing style is absolutely beautiful! I highly respect this author’s writing talent, but the paranormal/ occult genre is an affront to my sensibilities.
Jaksen
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am SUCH a John Connolly fan! I adore his books.

They are crime thrillers, mysteries, and yet they have a supernatural flavor. In the earliest books it's only 'just' there, like around the corner, or in his pocket, or the back seat of his car. But as the books progress it deepens, thickens, and eventually surrounds and smothers you. There is this entire Lovecraftian-world and Mr. Connolly's MC - PI Charlie Parker - is immersed totally and wholly into it. (And maybe he's a part of it, too?)

This o
Goodreads Librari...: Update a placeholder book cover please 2 17 Feb 18, 2019 03:55PM
author alerts 2 16 Jan 31, 2019 08:35PM

• Love Speaks Its Name: Gay and Lesbian Love Poems
  • The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench, #9)
  • The Siren and the Specter
  • Return of the Darkening: The Complete Series
  • Afrekete: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Writing
  • Priestess of War (The Jharro Grove Saga Book 5)
  • The Silence
  • The Devil and the Deep
  • Blood of Angels (Straw Men)
  • Alter Ego (Jonathan Stride #9)
  • No Place to Die (Sean Richardson #1)
  • Broken Places (A Chicago Mystery #1)
  • The Bomb Maker
  • Murder in the Dark (Ishmael Jones, #6)
  • Ash and Silver (The Sanctuary Duet, #2)
  • The Awakening
  • November Mourns
  • Open Secret (Bern Fortin mystery, #2)
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper ...more

Charlie Parker (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1)
  • Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • The White Road (Charlie Parker, #4)
  • The Black Angel (Charlie Parker, #5)
  • The Unquiet (Charlie Parker, #6)
  • The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)
  • The Lovers (Charlie Parker, #8)
  • The Whisperers (Charlie Parker, #9)
  • The Burning Soul (Charlie Parker, #10)
“Patriots built Auschwitz. You start believing that “my country wrong or right” shit, and it always ends up at the same place: a pit filled with bones.” 4 likes
“So you’re British?’ said Billy.
‘I think of myself as English first, British second. It’s a way of keeping the Scots and Welsh at a distance, never mind the Irish.”
2 likes