Start by marking “Drastic Measures” as Want to Read:
Drastic Measures

Drastic Measures

(Star Trek: Discovery #2)

An original novel based upon the explosive new Star Trek TV series on CBS All Access!

It is 2246, ten years prior to the Battle at the Binary Stars, and an aggressive contagion is ravaging the food supplies of the remote Federation colony Tarsus IV and the eight thousand people who call it home. Distress signals have been sent, but any meaningful assistance is weeks away. L
Published February 6th 2018 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Drastic Measures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drastic Measures

Alejandro
An untold story in Star Trek finally told!

It’s recommended to watch the TV episode “The Conscience of the King” from “Star Trek: The Original Series.

A DARK MOMENT FINALLY TOLD

While most Trekkers (or Trekkies) are familiriazed with popular villains like Khan Noonien Singh or the Borg Queen (massively exposed thanks to theatrical films), sometimes, other villains like Kodos the Executioner isnt remembered not matter that he was responsible of the mass murder of 4,000 humans in a single night…

Stephen Robert Collins
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kodos the Executioner was Kirk's nemeses this set on Tarsus IV when the food ran out.
Governor Kodos another Hitler style evil dictator who killed thousands including Kirk's family which is why Captain Kirk went into Starfleet.
Forget this a Discovery book as I have not seen the series & just enjoy it for what it is a flashback book in Star Trek History set 19ys before 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' in which James T Kirk encounters the energy barrier at the edge of our galaxy.
This for the t
Denes House
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Originally posted at https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/05/nove...)

Some spoilers ahead...

“The revolution is successful. But survival depends on drastic measures. Your continued existence represents a threat to the well-being of society. Your lives mean slow death to the more valued members of the colony. Therefore, I have no alternative but to sentence you to death. Your execution is so ordered, signed Kodos, Governor of Tarsus IV.”

Those words, spoken by actor Anton Karidian (played by Arnold Moss)
Gerhard
Sep 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, sf-f
It is not often I give a one-star review – that said, I do not shirk from five-star reviews either. There is a lot of debate on Goodreads about its rating system, and how it needs to be refined. But this could overcomplicate what is already a fairly equitable range of opinions (* for ‘I did not like it’, to ***** for ‘it was amazing’). I suppose the problem comes in when you have to decide between a * and a ** rating, which is an unhelpful ‘it was okay’, a kind of literary ‘meh’, I suppose.

Anywa
Miss Alexandra
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this book disappointing. The story IDEA was a good one, returning to an incident from the Original Series in a satisfying way. This means the reader knows essentially how the story will end, and if finding out how it gets there isn’t satisfying, you should not read prequels at all. The plot gave me enough twists to keep me happy.

The problem was with the execution. The writing is just plain clumsy. The biggest problem is that the book is excruciatingly repetitious, a fault that the editor
Claudia
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! Really enjoyed the ride. Nice tie-in with the Tarsus IV story, and Kirk and Tommy Leighton.

It was lovely to meet Prime Lorca for a change. And catch a glimpse into his background.

I found Drastic Measures to be far better than the first DSC novel. And that ending leaves me stunned. I need to know what’s going on!!! :-)
David Baltzer
Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am really sick of these no-account hacks who churn out 'fast-food fiction', stick Star Trek details onto the stories, and think no one will notice.

This is another case of all padding and no substance.

Lorca, in this story, is one-dimensional and boring as hell.

Completely unworthy of being a back story for 'The Conscience of the King'.

The cover art has Lorca and Georgiou in Discovery uniforms, even though this takes place ten years before.

No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Another one for the du
Steve
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
****As per all of my reviews, I like to preface by saying that I listened to this book in audiobook format. This does indeed slightly skew my rating. I have found that audiobooks, give me a better "relationship" with the characters if done well, but also kills the book for me if narrated poorly. Also due to the nature of listening to the text, names and places may be spelled incorrectly here as I often do not have the physical volume in front of me.

Also, I have written this review in a "rolling
Michael Lauck
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: Okay, a spoiler free review... I enjoyed this book more than the first Star Trek Discovery novel. I did not feel that it "filled in" as much of the backstory of these two characters as the first novel (Desperate Hours), but in all fairness the first novel did center on the series lead. This novel, like Desperate Hours, is set before the series. Unlike the first novel it also ties into events mentioned in (even central to) an episode of the original Star Trek series. That alo ...more
Kym Taborn
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Started slow but I eventually got engaged in a mystery I knew the answer to. I would have liked it had they gotten more into the implied eugenic theories that supposedly motivated Kodos the Executioner. Young Kirk had a cameo but no Riley. It gave some nice insight into Lorca Prime. And totally Star Trek Yeoh.
David
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of the original Star Trek, I have fond memories of the episode, "The Conscience of the King", in which a group of Shakespearean actors come aboard the Enterprise. In the episode, we learn that the troupe's leader is Kodos the Executioner, once the governor of a Federation colony who mercilessly ordered the death of over 4000 people. Captain Kirk was one of the only people who ever saw Kodos and could identify him and those witnesses are being systematically murdered.

In the 60s, it was a
Shaun
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I had mixed feelings with this book. Liked some parts and was bored by others. All in all not bad. I like having Star Trek back on television and will happily read any novel they release about the show Discovery.

After watching the TOS episode that this was based off of I understand the story's faults a bit more. There really wasn't much to work off of and only so much you could do having to force Lorca and Georgiou into having individual prominent roles with the event on Taurus IV.

The book was p
Michael
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Trek Blend

The authors of Star Trek novels take their continuity responsibilities seriously. Drastic measures features numerous names from Trek lore, all playing key roles in a drama that originally unfolded on the Original Series, mixed with new names from the good ship Discovery. The novel lasts maybe five chapters too long--all of the chapters are brief--but there's plenty of action and good old Starfleet know how beforehand, so It's worth the read.
Christopher Backa
An interesting story that tells the tale of Kodos the executioner from the episode “conscience of the king”. It follows Commander Lorca who leads the manhunt for Kodos. Learning more about Lorca, makes his story arc in season 1 of Discovery disappointing.
Jesse Slater
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
[1.75/5]
Short version: Read the epilogue, or this spoiler (Season 1 of Discovery spoilers): (view spoiler)

I was underwhelmed by the first ST: Discovery tie-in book, but given that it was a kick-off book, I cut it some slack. I wasn't sure if I'd read this one (especially considering (view spoiler)
Richard Gray
Missing Star Trek: Discovery already? This may or may not scratch the itch. As I mentioned in my hot take on Desperate Hours, the first of the tie-in novels for Star Trek: Discovery, the freshness of the television series gives the novel writers few gaps to fit in their stories. So like the previous novel, Dayton's Ward's book is a prequel to the series. It also acts as a prequel to the Original Series episode 'The Conscience of the King.'

The basic plot involves the intersection of younger versi
Patrick McWilliams
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
First, the bad. I felt like the whole book dragged. The writing style during dialogue scenes drove me nuts. There'd be a line or two of dialogue, then a page of material in past perfect tense explaining why the person just said that. Then, the dialogue would pick up again, but by that time, I'd forgotten what they were replying to and I'd have to go back and find it again. One chapter opened with a lengthy speech being delivered, but it wasn't until the end of the speech that you found out who w ...more
Virginia Mae
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This first part might sound negative but bear with me, I have other things to say. Okay, so the parts with Georgiou didn't ring true for me; I couldn't feel her character's presence/personality on the page at all, with the exception of one wonderful scene near the end when she parts ways with Lorca.
Particularly, I think we're missing her wry sense of humor, one of her best qualities. We all know this woman can't get through a situation without clever wisecracks, and there's almost none to be fo
Jen
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We know the fate of Kodos the Executioner, former governor of Tarsus IV, from the original series episode “The Conscience of the King,” but what really happened on Tarsus IV? In Dayton Ward’s version of events, Lieutenant Gabriel Lorca is stationed on Tarsus IV the night of the mass executions, and it is he who tracks down Kodos and his followers to bring them to justice. Meanwhile, Commander Philippa Georgiou arrives on Tarsus IV as the head of a Starfleet relief team and finds herself caught u ...more
Barry Rice
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Drastic Measures is a thoroughly enjoyable read that greatly expands on the backstory behind one of the original Star Trek series' most intriguing episodes ("The Conscience of the King"). Unlike the first Star Trek: Discovery novel -- David Mack's Desperate Hours -- this novel provides little insight into the characters and motivations on DSC. Phillipa Georgiou is ably portrayed as one of the heroes, but we learn little about her as a person. Gabriel Lorca is a fascinating character, as well, bu ...more
Stephanie
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
A Parable? STAR TREK DISCOVERY: DRASTIC MEASURES

A parable is a simple story imparting a moral or spiritual lesson. While not simple and offering a variety of lessons, DRASTIC MEASURES certainly engaged me with its understanding of the simple moral ideals as represented by the Star Trek franchise: exploration, learning, fairness, the common good.

While Roddenberry’s ideas originally served as the outline for a short-lived TV show in the 1960s, they also ref
Amiram
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Spoiler free -
Phew! I made it through. That felt more like required reading, but I think it is skippable.
Drastic Measures is barely a Discovery book. Yeah, a couple of the main protagonists are characters in Discovery, but the occurrences in the book are not essential or not compelling enough to develop their backstories.
This story somewhat expands a TOS on-screen story and tries to tie Discovery to the bigger Star Trek universe but doesn’t do it in a substantial, impactful or holistic way.

It
reherrma
Christopher
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Silverscarf
Minor spoilers ahead for season 1 of Discovery and major spoilers for this book.

After I finished S1 of Discovery, I didn't completely hate it, yes it mostly sucks, but I'm definitely not in the hating it camp, and I wanted to check out some of these novels. I chose this one first because I kind of actually liked Lorca and I was just drawn to it. But wow I was disappointed. I haven't read a ST book in a long time, and this definitely reminded me of all the reasons why I usually don't anymore. I'l
Dennis Keithly
Hard to review

When Tarasus IV experiences an infestation that nearly destroys all their food, the colony there becomes desperate. A new leader, Kodos, assumes control and in a shocking move, eliminates half the population as an “act of mercy” so the other half might survive on their meager supplies. Unknown to Kodos is that the USS Narbonne is almost there and has the supplies the colony needs. The act of mercy was pointless. Kodos soon finds himself the center of a manhunt lead by Gabriel Lorca
pygospa
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun to read novel that - as did the first novel in this series - actually fills in some gaps in the timeline. While the first one focused on Michael Burnham, this novel takes in the backgrounds of Philippa Georgiou and Gabriel Lorca. Both meet on a mission to Tarsus IV, and if you think you might have heard of this planet before: You have. And not only because there are a few equally sounding like Tantalus V or Tarsas III. Tarsus IV is mentioned in "The Conscience of the King", where th ...more
Ascari Vau
Jess
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
This review was first published on my blog ladybookdragon.com

My reaction to this book is just wow. I’m not even sure if I should even use the word ‘wow’ to describe a book but I am going to. The more I have thought about this book since finishing it the more it has made its mark on my mind.

The storyline of this book is shocking but the way the characters deal with the situations and the horrifying circumstances is fantastic. There are so many intertwining storylines and that just adds to the st
Paul Lunger
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd Star Trek: Discovery book, Dayton Ward's "Drastic Measures" takes us to 2246 & the planet Tarsus IV which would become known for a mass execution by a man who would be known as Kodos the Executioner. The book revolves around Gabriel Lorca who is stationed at an outpost help out the colony & watch them as they deal w/ an agricultural crisis which leads to a coup & then the elimination of half the population of the planet in one act of mass murder. Along the way, Commander Geor ...more
  • Fear Itself (Star Trek: Discovery #3)
  • Desperate Hours (Star Trek: Discovery #1)
  • The Missing
  • The Jackal's Trick (Star Trek: Prey #2)
  • Architects of Infinity
  • Uncertain Logic (Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation #3)
  • Star Trek - Deep Space Nine: Sacraments of Fire
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Dayton is a software developer, having become a slave to Corporate America after spending eleven years in the U.S. Marine Corps. When asked, he’ll tell you that he left home and joined the military soon after high school because he’d grown tired of people telling him what to do all the time.

Ask him sometime how well that worked out.

In addition to the numerous credits he shares with friend and co

Star Trek: Discovery (5 books)
  • Desperate Hours (Star Trek: Discovery #1)
  • Fear Itself (Star Trek: Discovery #3)
  • The Way To The Stars
  • Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
“It doesn’t matter what planet you’re on, there’s nothing like biting into a crisp Fuji apple first thing in the morning.” 0 likes
“No matter how fast our ships can go, space is still very big.” 0 likes