Start by marking “Reaper: Ghost Target (The Reapers #1)” as Want to Read:
Reaper: Ghost Target (The Reapers #1)

Reaper: Ghost Target

(The Reapers #1)

American hero, or unhinged vigilante?

Vick "The Reaper" Harwood is an esteemed sniper with a record kill count—33 kills in 90 days—when he is knocked out under mortar attack in Afghanistan. He wakes up back in the United States with little memory of what happened, his spotter and gun both unrecovered from the battlefield. Harwood has resigned himself to slowly picking up

Published May 8th 2018 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Reaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reaper

Start your review of Reaper: Ghost Target (The Reapers #1)
Paul Pessolano
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Reaper Ghost Target” by Nicholas Irving with A.J. Tata, published by St. Martin’s Press.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – May 08, 2018.

Who best to write a novel about a sniper than a sniper himself. Nicholas Irving was a Ranger and a sniper for his battalion. This is his third book, the first “The Reaper”, and the second was “Way of the Reaper”.

Vic Harwood is on assignment in Afghanistan with his spotter, Sammie Samuelson. They are hit by a mortar round and Vic is rescued but there
Alan
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Exhausting! Nonstop action from beginning to end. The book is a “ stand-alone“, so previous books in the series do not affect it’s enjoyment.
I read it in four days,with sleep and food optional.I highly recommend it ,and I will read other books by these authors.
Andrew
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Pretty good debut, with an interesting story-line and a captivating main character in Vick 'The Reaper' Harwood. An accomplished sniper, his latest mission in the Middle East goes wrong. When he comes home to America, he finds himself in the middle of a terrorist plot that intersects with the illegal actions of a sinister private military contractor. Framed for murders committed with his missing rifle, Harwood has to go on the run to clear his name, unmask the actions of the private military ...more
Ronie
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a good read and there's nothing I love better than reading a story by someone in the know. The story was a bit plodding and rote, but in the action scenes when Reaper took over, you could tell it was familiar, comfortable territory--it flowed smoothly. A good read. Looking forward to the next one!
Barry Medlin
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seat-of-the-pants high paced thriller! Nicholas Irving and A.J.Tata know their stuff and make a great writing team!
Merlene Neville
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I really liked this book; it was well-written and intriguing. I liked the characters and am anxious to read more.
Ryan Hillis
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great sniper novel!!! Can't wait to read the next one in the series!!
Lynn Riley
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first Reaper book and I enjoyed it. Fast paced.
Kristi DeGennaro
Love it

Good mf book recommend you buy good read we’ll written. Best book that I have ever read ooof ooof ooof
Dave Sheffield
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thriller of epic proportions!

This book was a very quick read. High action,fantastic character development,and just enough realism to keep you wanting more.

Can't wait to read the next in the series!
Fred  J. Neslage Jr
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome True Story
Jeremy Boeh
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reaper Ghost Target is a page turning, thrill ride. Vick Hardwood is a legendary; Ranger, sniper and patriot with 33 confirmed kills in 90 days. Vic Harwood is on assignment to equalize his greatest foe, Khasan Basayev, the Chechen, in Afghanistan with his spotter, Sammie Samuelson. They are hit by a mortar round and Vic is rescued but there is no sign of Sammie or Vic’s rifle. As he recovers stateside he is assigned to train future special operations snipers, he finds himself feeling like the ...more
Bent Hansen
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
This is the first book by either Nicholas Irving or A.J. Tata that I have read. I have read much praise of the latter, but with him just appearing as a second-tier co-author on this book, I must assume that Irving is primarily responsible for the novel.
I will make this review fairly short by summing up that I was fairly well entertained as the pages flew by, but the plot has so many reality gaps and shortcuts that I was never truly convinced by the twists and false leads that Irving included in
Lisa Malmquist
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Harwood was a sniper with the army Rangers. After a particularly brutal tour in Afghanistan he comes back with memory loss and guilt over being forced to leave his sniper spotter behind. He is no longer in the army but teaches other snipers how to do their jobs. He is the Reaper, a legend, even among the Rangers, 33 kills in 3 months, a record number.
He is trying to put his past behind him and get on with his life.
However, a series of assassinations take place in the areas where Harwood is
Robert
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book hits its mark - pun intended. It kept me guessing until the last, and it may be an American bias, but I love the endings where the good guys win, the bad guys get hurt, the wronged girl gets rescued, and the potential damage from bad guy activities ends up being easy to handle.

Nice parallels too as Irving knows what it means to be a real sniper full of conflicted feelings and (possibly) the effects of PTSD.

Ever so slightly heavy on Black Lives Matter (that's not central to the story)
Chris (Norseman) Miller
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book! Storyline was awesome. The only complaint I have is the jumps from one location to another we’re jagged and not as smooth! That doesn’t take away from it being a great book! I can’t wait for more but felt it could’ve been a bit smoother. I’m no author so they must know what they’re doing. Definitely a page turning thriller!
Tim Hickernell
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good first entry as a thriller fiction author. I did read The Reaper auto-biography before this, so it was easy to see where to protagonist came from. I usually look for two things from thrillers, did I learn anything and did I want to keep reading? Yes to both. I will definitely be reading the next Vick Harwood adventure.
Brandon Frandsen
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good idea for a story with good twists and turns along the way but the execution was terrible. The characters were very one dimensional the plot relied heavily on unbelievably convenient circumstances to move the plot forward, and characters were to be complete morons when needed then immediately have the capacity to be brilliant second before and after
Richard
I'm not sure this series has any staying power. The protagonist is not compelling, the plot was contrived and the dialog was rote.
Ashima Jain
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From what I gather, this book is inspired by author Nicholas Irving's time in the military where he was nicknamed The Reaper. Collaborating with A.J. Tata, together they have created the character of Vick Harwood, a lethal sniper who is the protagonist of this thriller - the first in what will be a series.

Vick has been ambushed on a mission and when he regains conscious, back on home base, he seems to have little to no memory of what happened. He tries to pick up the pieces of his life,
Logan Chernikovich
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vick Harwood is a sniper for the rangers and special operations in the army. Vick Harwood was in Afghanistan when he got the nickname Reaper, for he was the deadliest sniper in The United States Army with a kill ratio of 33 kills in 90 days. After he got home he was really injured and had two people on his mind which were his spotter Samuelson (who got lost in Afghanistan) and Jackie his crush.
"Reaper Ghost Target" by Nicholas Irving is a great book for people who mostly love reading books
David
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this one up off my library's donation cart for fifty cents. It reads like a good action movie and even seems to have been written for Dwayne Johnson in the leading role. While I enjoyed the action sequences, the writing was sophomoric and the characters underdeveloped. I prefer, and recommend, any number of books written by US Navy Seals and don't feel like there is a place in my personal library for this title so back to the donation cart it goes.
Daniel
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was really good. Some reviewers say this author falls short on his writing. If i can imagine the scenes in my head like a movie, im engaged in the book and the story sticks enough. I did feel it flipped from character to character just a tiny bit too much in some places but thats hardly a complaint to what i now know this author is capable of. This was my first book of his, and i will be back to read the others.
Jennifer Gottschalk
A surprisingly satisfying thriller involving a sniper, Chechen terrorist, guns, bombs, drugs and human trafficking.

The pace was 'just right' and the phrase 'action packed' applies. Happily there was also an engaging human element and the combination of thrills and interpersonal relationships was a winner.

Strongly recommended - especially if action / thriller novels are your thing.
Dr.Linda
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas Irving’s Reaper: Ghost Target is truly riveting. The reader might suspect who is the assassin but not until the end does s/he know for sure. To be honest, I read Irving’s novel only because I have read all of A.J. Tata’s books. I can see Tata’s influence and recommend Irving as a potential excellent writer.
Charles
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How has this not become a major Hollywood picture yet? The book is engaging and filled with just enough details to give you an authentic feel without bogging down the story with all the technical aspects (looking at you Clancy). While the mystery of who is doing the things is easily solved the reveal is still a great payoff. Highly recommend this book
Dwight Simmons
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: standby-reads
As a retired veteran of the Armed Services and an African-American, this military series probably will become my favorite because I connected with Vic. The story, the character, the background and dialogue just made sense to me. There were some "outstanding" parts in the story that were cheesy but as a debut series I'm excited for the next novel.
Abibliofob
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sniper
I'm not sure what I liked about this one, it is well written and there is action in it and the story is good but I'm not so sure about all the characters. On the other hand it gave me some entertaining for a couple of hours and I will read the second book to be sure.
Annelise
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
At first, I didn't think I would understand or like it, but as I got used to the writing, it was AMAZING. It always keeps you on edge and it actually makes you wonder and second guess your predictions.
Mikel Rhodes
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They Never Quit.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I am looking forward to the next book.a very intriguing poly with excellent characters. If you enjoy fast paced hard hitting action thriller books then you should enjoy the book.

• Field of Valor (Logan West, #3)
  • Man of War (Eric Steele #1)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • True Believer (James Reece, #2)
  • Dark Winter (Captain Jake Mahegan #5)
  • All Out War (Eric Steele #2)
  • The Terminal List (James Reece, #1)
  • Bloody Sunday (Dewey Andreas, #8)
  • Direct Fire (Captain Jake Mahegan, #4)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • Rules of War (Logan West #4)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • Daughter of War (Pike Logan, #13)
  • Warning Light (Jake Keller #1)
  • Shooting Gallery (Dewey Andreas, #7.5)
  • Rogue Strike (Jake Keller #2)
  • Backlash (Scott Harvath, #19)
  • Red Metal

The Reapers (3 books)
  • Reaper: Threat Zero (The Reapers #2)
  • Reaper: Drone Strike (The Reapers #3)
“And let’s face it. You get a nickname, that usually means you’re accepted. The guys without nicknames are usually the ones who never fully integrate.” 1 likes