Start by marking “A Life Naive” as Want to Read:
A Life Naive

A Life Naive

Life for twenty-seven-year-old Hershel Lawson has been relatively uneventful and that’s the way he likes it. When his grandmother passes away, leaving him her car and a last wish of him taking her ashes to L.A., his life takes a turn and it will never be the same again.

With his new task and grandmother's ashes, Hershel sets out from St. Louis Missouri in the spring of 196
Published October 14th 2017 by Gray Door Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about A Life Naive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life Naive

Katie
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book
A Ride that will Opens up Horizons!

Every time Oliver Phipps publishes a new book, i know that i will have a sleepless night as I'll be lost reading the book and loving it. A Life Naive is a fantastic book that opens up lives of Americans in the 60s and 70s.
Meet Hershel Lawson, a fantastic character that i loved a lot, even if he's too naive and trusts the world too much, he gives us the clear view of human personality. He's hardworking, he is not greedy and moreover he is kind.
Sally on the ot
Ryann Hall
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the ending :)

This book tells the story of a man named Hershel. He and his brother Joe were raised by their grandma. Their dad passes away and their mom was unable to care for them. Joe turned out fine. Hershel however was homeschooled and never learned about real life or even women.
Hershel never left his grandma after he grew up. He took good care of her every day. One day she passed away n Hershel’s life had a major changed. His grandma left Joe $17,000 and her house. She left Hershel $7
Dejaan Lafleur
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story. At the beginning I felt pity for the main character Hershel Lawson as he set out on his journey to LA via Route 66 to deliver his grandmother ashes to her final resting place. But things turned around as Sally entered the story. Mr. Oliver Phipps, You indeed have a God given talent. You give readers the opportunity to live as the characters. At certain areas in the book I was no longer living in my reality. This book was very entertaining, insightful, and interesti ...more
Karen
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cleverly written story about an average guy (Hershel) whose life is about to take an unexpected turn. When he meets Sally, who’s the complete opposite of him, the fun really begins. The chemistry between them is like going to an amusement park … there’s something new and fun around every corner.

Take a ride along with Hershel and Sally cruising historic Route 66 and let the adventure begin.
Aammton
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A well crafted romance drama where naive Hershel meets street-smart Sally on Route 66. Set probably around the era of ‘summer of 69’, this beautiful historical fiction neatly and yet subtlety draws comparison to an ‘innocent time’ lost and regained through the good virtues of lovable Hershel Lawson. The dialogue itself is captivating. Definitely a pick-me-up book!
This is not my first book by Oliver Phipps, hence highly recommended.

I got this book via Kindle Unlimited.
Tasha
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story! I really loved this one. It was very difficult to put down after the second chapter. Five stars, no question about it.
Shelly
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I love this story! A great adventure with laughs along the way.
jimtown
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Life Naive is an enjoyable, gentle but fun book to read. The first chapter is perhaps the hardest to get through because you think that Hershel is being taken advantage of by his brother. Hershel is terribly naive, for he spent his life caring for the grandmother that took him and his older brother, Joe in as children. When she dies, she leaves her house and cash to Joe and his family and her car and ashes to Hershel along with instructions as to where she wants them to end up, which is in Cal ...more
Please Pass the Books
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Life Naive by Oliver Phipps is the story of Hershal Lawson, a trusting and upstanding younger man in Missouri who could easily be called John Doe, so much is he the humdrum and monochrome everyman. He's spent his days looking after his Me'ma who spent her last days encouraging him to - in more loving terms - get a life. Hershal isn't hearing it. "He enjoyed going on errands for his grandmother. He started the car and was soon on his way. He went by the service station and drank an Orange Crush ...more
Yuki Kido
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite by this author. A wonderful journey with two very different personalities. The story is fun and funny, exciting and adventurous. The ending is the best part, as it should be.
Peyton Parker
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story. I laughed and cried, but mostly laughed. Very heart warming and satisfying ending.
Maureen Refior
May 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
To say that I was disappointed in A Life Naive is putting it mildly. I picked it up as a review book for onlinebookclub.org, and I had seen Oliver Phipps' other work receive glowing reviews on Amazon and here at Goodreads. The reviews were SO glowing, in fact, that I put Phipps on my "must read authors" list and when I saw it available to review, I grabbed it.

The book tells the story of Hershel Lawson, a sheltered 27-year-old in 1962 St. Louis. He has lived his whole life with his grandmother (M
Richard Stover
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Life Naive is a fantastic book that opens up lives of Americans in the 60s and 70s. This book tells the story of a man named Hershel. He and his brother Joe were raised by their grandma. Their dad passes away and their mom was unable to care for them.

Cleverly written story about an average guy (Hershel) whose life is about to take an unexpected turn. The dialogue itself is captivating. Definitely a pick-me-up book!
This is my first book by Oliver Phipps, hence highly recommended.
Kara
Frank
Jul 07, 2018
Sara
Jul 17, 2018
Oliver served as a Paratrooper in the United States Army and studied at MSC. In the late 1980s through mid 90s Oliver pursued his love of music. He enjoyed traveling, playing percussion and writing lyrics for popular bands. During this time Oliver also began writing short stories and articles.

After playing for thousands through the fall and winter of 1996 Oliver's band abruptly disbanded. In earl