Start by marking “Ferromancer (Iron Souls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ferromancer (Iron Souls, #1)

Ferromancer

(Iron Souls #1)

Solutions aren’t always black and white—sometimes they come in shades of iron gray.

Captain Bridget “Briar” Rose wants for nothing. Each day is a new adventure, living the life she loves, running cargo on the Ohio & Erie Canal. That is, until her cousin decides to sell the family boat to finance a new business venture. He wants to build locomotives for the railroad—the
Published September 1st 2017 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Ferromancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ferromancer

Catherine Milos
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becca Andre is a master story teller and delivers in this steampunk meets magic inspired story. I love Briar. I love Grayson. I love all the characters. I can't wait to keep reading more from Becca.
Kendra
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great new world! Andre has a very unique view toward fantasy/steampunk, and this new book is no exception. Magic meets mechanics in this great start in a new series set on the canals of Ohio in the 1800s. Add a spunky heroine, a mysterious man who might be her greatest enemy, and threats all around, and this adventure is hard to put down.
Karen
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to break this into three parts, the world building, the characters, and the story. First the world, I really liked it, steampunk for me can be confusing and I don’t like it sometimes, in fact I don’t even know if I would consider this steampunk probably more of a fantasy to be honest. I understood the concept, liked the world and started to follow along pretty quickly. Check.

The characters. I didn’t like Briar, though she did get better, I dislike lead characters who can break any rule
Jenn
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a recent fan of Becca Andre, having finished her Final Formula series a few weeks ago. I thoroughly enjoyed that series and was excited to learn of this new series and delve into the fantastic world that she can create. It did but disappoint at all.

Briar is the captain of a small crew that travels up and down the Ohio & Erie canals. She's trying to save her livelihood from the encroaching railroads that are being built throughout th
Cheryl
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of Becca Andre's book Ferromancer to give an honest review on, I can honestly say the book was brilliant, I love her books and this one didn't disappoint. Really well written book. I love being able to chill out and enter the fantasy world of her imagination. The story itself flows really well, you are sucked in right to the end. The only problem was it got to a good bit then the book ended. Really looking forward to more.
Jody Jung
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great adventure... hard to put down. The story setting was different than usual, set aboard a canal boat.. loved everything about this story. Characters were well developed and unique.. the writing was well done. I would love to read a book 2 whenever it comes out... highly recommend and I'm looking forward to reading some of her other stories
Jennifer Roth
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

The author's writing has improved since the Final Formula series, which I enjoyed reading. This series has a more steampunk feel and some deliciously snarky humor.
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steampunk, historical fantasy fans
Recommended to Lynn K by: Becca Andre
A brilliant story set in the canals of the Great Lakes when the steam and coal run railways threatened the livelihood of the cargo boats that plied the Ohio & Erie Canal. As always, Andre's characters are well rounded, a delight to read, their beliefs and motivations clear. Each of them unique and deftly woven into the story, their own backgrounds come into the forefront as the action mounts up. Masterfully turning the mundane into intrigue, magic, and murders.
Becca Andre has a style with sn
Chanel
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definite recommendation! I absolutely LOVED it and it takes place in my home state!

Meet Briar Rose. Captaining canal boats has always been in her blood since she was little. She's also very curious and adventurous. Lately she's been concerned that her way of life might be taken over because locomotives and railroads have become increasingly popular over canal boats. One night, she decides to go "explore" these locomotives when she witnesses a murder. Shortly after, she finds out that her uncle i
Ollivier
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trust Becca Andre to always find something different for her books. The Final Formula characters were not your average alchemist or elementals and this new series is not like the previous, it is something new and this first book introduces us to this new form of magic, ferromancy. The idea is really interesting and like before, the main character is a woman, again a strong one. The series setting is different as well, along the canals and lakes.

The plot is strong and the characters very attachin
Spangles
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Becca Andre's books and this is a great start to a new series. After the first few chapters I was totally hooked; I really enjoyed getting to know the characters, and the pace kept me wanting to keep on reading to find out what was coming next. Looking forward to the continuation of this story.
Jenna
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love this world. I look forward to reading more
Jan Drotos
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wasn't sure about this one but after reading it I can say whole heartedly that this will be as great a series as the Final Formula Series! Grab your copy today!
McReadsALot
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, steampunk, pnr
I originally read this in the Dominion Rising collection, but I'm admittedly a big Becca Andre fan and can't wait for the rest of the series!

Ferromancer is set in America, during the expansion of the railroad. Briar is the captain of her cousin's canal boat, and this adventure begins as she "invites" a... let's call him a passenger... aboard. This is one of those stories where it's hard to say enough without giving too much away. The beginning might seem a little slow, but that could also be bec
Quartknee
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard the author interviewed for SFFMP episode 186, and while Historical Fiction isn't a genre I read a lot, I thought the premise was interesting enough to give it a try. I'm glad I did. The characters are unique and compelling and get more nuanced as the series progresses. (I'm currently in book 3 and circled back to write this review).

The climax of this installment of the story ends rather abruptly and in such a head-scratching manner that I had to reread it to see if I missed anything. At
Anna
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Some books are candy for the soul, and this is a great example. I started reading it Friday afternoon and didn't put it down until I was done.

Part of my enjoyment was due to the fact that the book is set in my new stomping grounds --- I was literally riding in a car over the Scioto river when I learned that's where the heroine's barge was floating. (Well, she was in the canal beside the river, but whatever.) But, mostly, this was just the perfect combination of history, magic, and adventure, wi
K.M. Carroll
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, satisfying

The historical setting of early 1800s America, coupled with the mythos of the magical ferromancers, is somehow massively pleasing. I enjoyed this stroll along the Erie Canal, seeing the conflict between the boatmen and the up and coming railroads. At the same time, the ferromancers are understated, intriguing, and often terrifying.

I'm not sure, even now, if I like Grayson or not. At least he's not like some of the psycho, abusive heroes urban fantasy often features. I think it's t
Pepper
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never been on a canal boat?

Same for me. Becca Andre teaches you respect this hardworking carrier and the crew all the while trying to stop or somehow slow the impact of the carrier kid in town - a speedy and capable new type of locomotive. Magic might be the power...; Ah, no spoilers!
Thanks to Kindle Unlimited, my next step is reading Book Two!
Thanks, Lindsay Buroker, for the referral.
Carly Kirk
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Read in the collection Dominion Rising

This was such a great read! Only wish it had been longer or that the 2nd book was out already! Really enjoyed the fast pace of the story along with the mystery of who/what Greyson really was and the slow pace of the romance developing. The love and respect that Briar and her crew have for each other feels so real. Seriously love all of the characters in this book and can't wait to learn what's in store for them next.
Chelsey Nixon
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#SpoilerWarrior

I initially had a hard time getting into this book because all of the lingo was so different for me, but I love Briar. She’s all hard and independent and crass but has this beautiful heart.

I’m over Eli already. He’s obviously harboring the world’s largest crush and needs to get over himself.

Lock is my favorite.

I’m so excited to see where this series goes.
Myereading
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of locks

How could you not love a story that fits canals, locomotive plans, automatans, pocket watches, secrets, fiddling and best of all-a lot of locks into one fast paced-fun adventure.
Sarah Austin
read as part of my Historical fantasy BOM. It's an interesting premise and the world building is quite good. a little slow in the beginning but sometimes that happens in a new series. all in all a good read.
Kat
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

First book I couldn't set down in a long time. I liked it even more than the Addled Alchemist series, which already set the bar really high. Can't wait to read the next book.
Caroline
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Loved it. I read alot of Steampunk inspired fiction and I loved the canal boat setting because it was different and not another smokey Victorian London setting. The story was fun and I enjoyed the fantasy of the Ferromancers world. I will definitely be reading more!
Gwamsa
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iron Souls, Book One

This is a unique and wonderfully crafted tale of magic, mystery, and marvels. I enjoyed the characters and the world construct (get it?) that flowed easily from the pages. Nicely done, Becca, and looking forward to more.
Jessica
The premise and world building were interesting, but the heroine was TSTL and ineffectual in combat and just generally useless. Everyone else was 4 stars by my reckoning.
Volpot
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars. Struggled to finish. MC and plot just didn't connect with me
Jenny Koch
A very intriguing concept and plot. I'm loving the characters so far, aside from Eli and his potential as love triangle material.
Sabrina
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept swinging between “oh, this is original” and “I already read this book, or something very similar to it”.
Stephen
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really like this book. I found it a little boring and long winded. I don't recommend thi. If you do decide to read it, good luck!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Curious Case Of The Clockwork Menace (London Steampunk, #3.5)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • Kilts & Kraken (Gaslight Chronicles, #3)
  • Nessy's Locket (The Artifact Hunters Book 5)
  • The Golden Spider (The Elemental Web Chronicles, #1)
  • Her Ladyship's Curse (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #1)
  • Hexed and Vexed (Wards and Wands, #1)
  • Straying From the Path
  • Rope of Sand (The Secret of the Journal #3)
  • The Prophecy (A Dragon's Tale, #1)
  • Tesla's Signal
  • In the Black (Tales from the Edge, #1)
  • Kiss of a Blade (No Mercy, #4)
  • In Safe Hands (Grace & Poole, #1)
  • Ice Cracker II: And Other Stories (The Emperor's Edge, #1.5)
  • Defying Magick (The Witch Blood Chronicles #2)
  • Blood in the Sand (Sanguis Noctis, #2)
  • Crosswind, Vol. 1
Becca Andre lives in southern Ohio with her husband, two children, and an elderly Jack Russell Terrier. A love of science and math (yes, she’s weird like that), led to a career as a chemist where she blows things up far more infrequently than you’d expect. Other interests include: chocolate, hard rock, and slaying things on the Xbox. She also finds writing about herself in third person a bit stran ...more

Iron Souls (4 books)
  • Soul Singer (Iron Souls, #2)
  • Heart of Iron (Iron Souls, #3)
  • Corroded (Iron Souls, #4)