Start by marking “Mr. & Mrs. American Pie” as Want to Read:
Mr. & Mrs. American Pie

Mr. & Mrs. American Pie

The year is 1969. Dick Nixon was just sworn in as the thirty-seventh President of the United States. Neil Armstrong just took one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind. And notable Palm Springs socialite Maxine Simmons just found out that her husband is leaving her for his twenty-two-year-old secretary.

After a public meltdown at Thanksgiving, Maxine finds hers
Published August 7th 2018 by Inkshares

To ask other readers questions about Mr. & Mrs. American Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. & Mrs. American Pie

Start your review of Mr. & Mrs. American Pie
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 zany and fun-filled stars to Mr. and Mrs. American Pie! 🥧 🥧 🥧 🥧

It is the 1960s, and Maxine Simmons is a wealthy Palm Springs socialite. She finds out that her husband is walking out on her to gallivant with his younger receptionist.

Maxine loses her cool at Thanksgiving when her husband announces his plans to leave. She is later divorced and whisked away, living in Scottsdale, Arizona, a distance from everyone she knows. Maxine is a determined firecracker, and she sets her sights on the Mrs.
Jenny
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
What happens when you mix beauty pageants, Spam and Richard Nixon all together?
You get a hilarious, fun-filled and somewhat satirical novel from Juliet McDonald entitled Mr. & Mrs. American Pie.
Set in Palm Springs, California, circa 1969, McDaniel introduces us to thirty something, Maxine, a self-absorbed former beauty pageant socialite married to Douglas Simmons, a wealthy businessman.
Maxine is the stereotypical social climber who worries about everything that is material in nature and the appr
TL
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I I received this via goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own:).
----
This was a wacky novel at times and more times than not I wanted to shake Maxine but I very much enjoyed this. :)

Maxine was like that sibling that drives you nuts but you love him/her anyway. (And they sometimes leave you speechless with their antics). Robert was a genuinely good man.

Charles and Dawn pulled at my heartstrings with their situation. Charles was already a mini grown up but s
Sherri Thacker
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I was immediately drawn to the cover of this book because it just looks like a “fun” and possibly “quirky” book to read. I was needing a book to take me away from all the thrillers I’ve been reading and this definitely fit the bill. This book takes place back in 1969 and I can tell from the very beginning that Ms Maxine will be one to reckon with! There are some laugh-out loud moments in this book. This book demonstrates how “the other half” (meaning richer than rich) live and they seem very sad ...more
Kathryn in FL
2.4 because 3 Stars is too generous for the agenda, this story puts forth. Lying and manipulation are the key constituents of this novel. Also on display are sexual innuendo, rough language, taking the Lord's name in vain and the F bomb. The writing is average, nothing compelling although the characters are very well drawn and over the top dramatic.

Minor spoiler ahead (view spoiler)
Tammy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: release-2018
4 ☆ Mr and Mrs American Pie was so much fun!!! In 1969 climbing the social ladder of the Palm Springs “in crowd” is self-absorbed Maxine’s only way of life.. that is until SURPRISE.. her husband of 16yrs drops the D-word. After her epic snap she’s vanquished to Scottsdale of all places. Learning to work with what she has and her pageant past she reinvents herself. Her goal; to compete in the Mrs American Pie Pageant namely by acquiring a marriage to bar owner/new friend Robert + placing two inno ...more
Dianne
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must start this review by saying that I'm sorry I ever started this book. Why? Because I started it just before bed and I couldn't stop reading it. It just sucked me in and held me rapt.

I loved the era that this book was set in and even though I was only 12-13 years old, I recognized everything that was spoken about. I spent may a good amount of time while reading just reminiscing.

Now the story itself -it was unique, it was sarcasm at its best it was even satire---but most of all at the cente
mindful.librarian ☀️
Thanks to InkShares and NetGalley for this free review copy!
Unique, hilarious and so so fun! What a refreshing story! I loved how McDaniel managed to make a 1970s setting so relatable to current readers and she also managed to make completely out-there characters ones that I ended up rooting for and getting deeply invested in. The epilogue might be one of my favorite parts of the book :-)
Michelle
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rounding up slightly. A fun, madcap read with a protagonist that I adored. As a California girl, I also loved the 1969/1970 Palm Springs setting. A fun escape.
Becky Spratford
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dawn
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious from the very first page.
Set at the end of the 1960s and early 1970s, the story begins with Maxine, a mid-30s housewife and self-absorbed social climber who is pushed into exile when her husband informs her on Thanksgiving that he will be leaving her for his much younger secretary.

As up until this point, Maxine's main claim to fame was winning a pageant and her husband on the same night in her youth, she does not take well to her sojourn in a condo in Arizona. Armed with
Jen Ryland
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Think Little Miss Sunshine meets Mad Men with a little Where'd You Go Bernadette.

Maxine is a former beauty queen, now happily married and living in Palm Springs in the late 1960s. When some unexpected news sends her into a tailspin, she's suddenly down on her luck, alone in Arizona. All she has to fall back on is her beauty pageant past, so she cobbles together a pretend family and enters the Mr. and Mrs. American Pie contest.

This isn't the kind of book I typically read, but this was a lot of f
Mel
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
This was a riot and a half. My idea of a “beach read”!

Maxine has climbed and elbowed her way up the social ladder, finally finding herself the host of a much envied Palm Springs elite Thanksgiving dinner— but the morning of her husband Douglas announces his plan to leave her. She proceeds to make the most outrageous scene (after imbibing a few too many cocktails plus a “vitamin” to relax) at dinner, when the friend she was trying to impress drops the ultimate bomb: Douglas is leaving her for hi
Candace Hernandez
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Inkshares and NetGalley for the e-ARC of Mr. & Mrs. American Pie!

I have NEVER laughed this much while reading a book; I was absolutely smitten with Maxine from the very first page.

Maxine Hogarth is a newly divorced ex-socialite who has fallen from grace. She is determined to climb back up the social ladder and she does so using...unconventional methods.

This book is so much more than satire - it takes a brutally honest look at racism and sexism in the late 1960’s, which was unexpecte
Diana Santoso
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally found a good book after several flops. This one is really interesting, fun to read, with 3 POVs and all sounds different!
Cari
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. So funny, great characters who learn real lessons. I can't wait to see how this book plays out on TV.
Susie Dumond
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, unpredictable, and heartwarming, Mr. and Mrs. American Pie had me laughing out loud from the first page. Maxine is a former beauty queen who hits rock bottom when her husband leaves her for his much younger secretary. When she ends up alone in Scottsdale, Arizona, she develops a master plan to put herself back on top. She may be mischievous and calculating, but the people who get drawn into her orbit find she has a heart of gold. I laughed, I cried, and I couldn’t stop talking to ever ...more
Rebecca
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love! Truly, I can't say enough good things about this book. Mr. and Mrs. American Pie is one of the funniest books I have read in a while. Divorced, Maxine finds herself exiled to Arizona, where she works to recreate the fabulous life she once knew in California. Despite the fact that Maxine is certifiably crazy, you find yourself rooting for her and her faux-mily. The combination of humor and heart make this book a true stand out.

I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my hon
Celia Buell
Free in exchange for an honest review, courtesy of Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you to Inkshares for listing.

When I first started reading Mr. & Mrs. American Pie, I thought that it would be cheesy and just a comedy. I wanted it as light reading for finals week. Instead, I discovered a story about friendship, family, and love that transcends boundaries.

Mr. & Mrs. American Pie takes place in 1970 and starts with a ruined Thanksgiving that leads to socialite Maxine Simmons being exiled from Palm Spri
Karissa
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club-reads
2.5 - 3 stars. This was a fun, quirky little story that definitely had some laugh out loud moments. The characters were a bit zany and endearing in their own ways. However, there were a few glaring aspects of the book that really kept me from fully enjoying it.

First off, the woman narrator’s voice: Maxine was played “fine”, but I found her “male voices” to not only be nearly indistinguishable from each other, but just grating in and of themselves. There was a waver to their voices that made it
Christopher Huang
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was up to 3am reading this because I had to know how it all ended.

Although the story skips through three different points of view (with a heartwarming fourth in the final chapter) it's safe to say that the centrepiece and star of the story is Maxine. She's a scheming, plotting socialite, but we soon find out that she has an unspoken capacity for compassion, something I'm not sure she herself even realises or recognises as such. The chapters told from her point of view sparkle with her personal
Kathleen Gray
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A genuinely warm and funny debut! Maxine is a force of nature. She goes totally off the rails when her husband asks for a divorce moments before her long planned Thanksgiving. Totally. What a scene! After the divorce, she moves to Scottsdale where, through chance, she meets Robert, who has a tavern and a secret. Even better, she meets young Chuck and his sister Dawn. Told through the alternating voices of Chuck, Maxine, and Robert, this is really all about what it takes to make a family. Maxine ...more
Lori
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
this summer's beach read--light and slyly funny, but completely relevant in an era of social upheaval.
1969: Palm Springs socialite Maxine jettisons her spot with the country club set with a spectacular drug and alcohol fueled breakdown at Thanksgiving dinner. Marriage in tatters, she decamps to the desert backwater of Scottsdale, Arizona where she plots to rise from the ashes by winning the Mrs. American Pie contest--a bizarre combination of beauty pageant and home economics test, requiring
Karly
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first chapters of this book detailing Maxine Hogarth's spectacular fall from grace from 1960's Palm Springs society were absolutely laugh out loud hysterically funny. As Maxine was exiled from the life she knew, banned from Palm Springs and forced to begin again in a dumpy condo in Arizona, the book fell off a little bit for me, but Maxine still managed to keep me thoroughly entertained as in her Maxine way she manufactured a faux family and positioned her to compete for the title of Mrs. Am ...more
Nan Williams
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-more
What a fun read!

I don’t normally read or like chick-lit, but this was too, too good! I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting!

Maxine was the composite of many women I’ve known! The contest was a parody of so many modern day pageants I’ve read/heard about.

The finale was good. This was a feel-good, laugh out loud, fabulous book!

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a delight-filled afternoon with this ARC!
Jacqui Castle
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this quirky, delightful story that followed socialite Maxine Simmons from Palm Springs, CA to Scottsdale, AZ. Mr. and Mrs. American Pie was satisfying from the first page to the last and, in several instances, I found myself awkwardly laughing out loud while reading it in public places.

I was hooked into the self-discovery journey of Maxine, a car-crash-that-you-can't-look-away-from of a character. I'm beyond excited to see this gem adapted to the screen.
Katie
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reviews
This book was a riot! I definitely cackled—not laughed, not giggled—straight up cackled a few times while reading this adorable story of a makeshift family. Juliet McDaniel perfectly balances the playful and ridiculous with just enough heartfelt emotion to make the reader truly care for her characters. Mr. and Mrs. American Pie was a pure entertainment.

The story centers around Maxine, a wife and socialite in 1969 Palm Springs, who has just discovered her husband is leaving her for his 20 year o
Rhiannon Johnson
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(I received a free copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I received no additional compensation)

Check out the review on my blog: http://ivoryowlreviews.blogspot.com/2...

My Review:
Consider this a public service announcement from your bookish BFF...READ THIS BOOK ASAP! This is the funniest book I think I have ever read. I mean, I was laughing until I cried. I was cracking up so much that I was cracking my husband up. I would be quietly reading in the other room and
Faouzia
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 Stars
This book was just HILARIOUS! Not the "laugh until you can't breath" kind of hilarious, more like the "shake your head in disbelief thinking What this crazy woman is up to again or How could she do something like that" kind of hilarious.

Maxine Hortence had it all, and just during one little thanksgiving party she lost it all: her husband, her glamorous social status, her beautiful house and all the friends she hate but still need and she found herself banned for Palm Springs and moving
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
  • The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One
  • Mrs. Everything
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • Life Is Short (No Pun Intended): Love, Laughter, and Learning to Enjoy Every Moment
  • The Scandal Plan: Or: How to Win the Presidency by Cheating on Your Wife
  • This Won't End Well
  • The Gifted School
  • All Adults Here
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • On Ocean Boulevard
Juliet McDaniel came of age during a time when beauty pageants were rapidly becoming tacky relics of a far more sexist time, or so she thought. Although raised in Arizona, she spent the last 25 years living in Chicago, and knows its history and culture inside and out, so those places became a fitting home for her characters. Juliet has a B.A. in American Studies from Lake Forest College and a M.A. ...more

Articles featuring this book