Start by marking “Cloud Native Patterns: Designing change-tolerant software” as Want to Read:
Cloud Native Patterns: Designing change-tolerant software

Cloud Native Patterns: Designing change-tolerant software

Author Cornelia Davis likes to say that "the cloud" is more about how you design your applications than where you deploy them. Cloud Native Patterns: Designing Change-tolerant Software is your guide to developing strong applications that thrive in the dynamic, distributed, virtual world of the cloud. This book presents a mental model for cloud-native applications, along wi ...more
Published June 2019 by Manning Publications Co

To ask other readers questions about Cloud Native Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloud Native Patterns

Start your review of Cloud Native Patterns: Designing change-tolerant software
Sebastian Gebski
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Primo: it's a good book.
Secundo: it's a well-written book.
Tertio: it's very "one-sided" as it presents CN is a singular way - a "microservice" way. Which IMHO is an issue as "change-tolerant" (& resilient, & fault-tolerant, & scalable, ...) software can be achieved in some other ways as well (life is not black & white, ya know ...).

What I really liked is:
* the way Cornelia described potential usage of replicated transaction log (but I disagree with pre-determining it has to be "eventsourcing")
Eelco den Heijer
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found the book rather convoluted; there were several code examples, and they were all outdated since none of them work with Java 11 or higher (modules...). The author needs a lot of text to explain things that do not need that much text. I prefer Spring Microservices in Action
Avraam Mavridis
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
I have great respect to Cornelia and her work but to be honest I didnt manage to finish the book (I read 8 out of 12 chapters). As another reviewer pointed out there is a lot of text, again and again to explain things that do not need that much text, and I got tired reading the obvious. The book could be half the length and still not miss anything. Maybe as an introduction book its good but if you already worked even a bit with K8s and/or Cloud Services, I dont think the book has much to offer y ...more
Vladimir Rybalko
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Good explanation of a few frequently used cloud patterns. Worth noting, the main focus shifts a lot to the Java stack. As result, you might be disappointed unless you're Java developer. Obviously, the book would be better if an author considered more platform agnostic approaches. ...more
Peter Aronson
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a primer on how to build highly redundant, resilient, change-tolerant software for the cloud. It doesn't claim to be a primer, but it is highly redundant itself in a good way, typically presenting the same concept three ways: as text, as a code sample and as a diagram. And it doesn't go very deep into the hard questions at all. If you like your computer books, deep, dense and non-repetitive, this is probably not the book for you.

All of the example are built using the Spring Java fra
Duri Chitayat
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
The author does a good job of introducing Cloud Native, makes a persuasive case, and hits a lot of high-value patterns. She wove in the role of Cloud Platforms and tools like Kubernetes that have developed a large footprint in the ecosystem and will likely help shape the future of Cloud Native.

Some of the examples, especially the ones requiring following along with specific programming steps interrupted the flow of the narrative and made it difficult to follow the key points but the chapter summ
Chris
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this for the January 2020 Austin Computer Book Club meetup, and really enjoyed it. The author has a painstaking and thorough style, which took a little getting used to, but which by the end I really appreciated. Concepts are presented as solutions to real-world problems, in a gradual and understandable way, even to the extent that less-than-perfect intermediate steps are worked through. I feel like I learned a lot, not just about key concepts in this area, but also about how to approach the ...more
Devender Gollapally
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This is a great read, it enforces what we are doing and explains the why.

* What does cloud native actually mean ?
* Failure is the norm, not an exception.
* Cloud Native Platforms, more than just a place to run your images
* No Snowflakes
* Stateless services, advantages
* What does it mean to be Event Driven ?
* Cloud Native Configuration, why do we need it and ways to implement it.
* Advantage of using Circuit Breakers, Retries importance of using this to build resilient software.
* Service Mesh (I
Maciej Pakulski
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, the book describes various patterns that form what is called "cloud native patterns". I starts with an example written in the "old way", not really ready for cloud, and then gradually refactors it to the final, "cloud native" form.
Really good source of knowledge, especially for someone who just starts her journey with cloud.
Andrey Bevilacqua
Mar 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It is an excellent book! You will learn from the beginning about why do we need cloud-native applications today, how to create them, why the patterns are used, all of this with code examples, architecture drawing, etc.
I recommend this book to everyone that works or wants to work with cloud-native software.
Bas Langenberg
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
No real new information here for me, next to the last piece about event sourcing. Still, this is a good read for anyone who wants to break down monoliths and write resilient cloud native applications.
Victor
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-tech
Well written book about fundamental cloud native patterns. The author clearly explains the why behind cloud native and each pattern, with code examples. But, if you already know these patterns and the problems that they intend to solve, this book might not be for you.
Daniel Rankov
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting book, covering cloud concepts from developer point of view. While there are many other books focused on cloud infrastructure, this one is on patterns and approaches. Definitely recommend read for dev people. It’s also cloud agnostic.
Torben Fojuth
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gute Zusammenfassung der wichtigsten Prinzipien des Cloud Betriebs. Code an sich gut, nur manchmal etwas zu langatmig (wenn man schon weiß worum und wie es geht).
Adi
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not much I haven't know before, but it's well structured and offers lots of examples (Java/Maven/K8) to follow along. ...more
Georgi
Christopher Jaime
Aug 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
  • Microservice Patterns
  • Terraform: Up & Running: Writing Infrastructure as Code
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • The Unicorn Project
  • The Software Architect Elevator: Transforming Enterprises with Technology and Business Architecture
  • Get Your Hands Dirty on Clean Architecture: A hands-on guide to creating clean web applications with code examples in Java
  • Clean Architecture
  • System Design Interview – An Insider's Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »