Start by marking “Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)

Dying Breath

(Detective Lucy Harwin #2)

Take a breath. Pray it’s not your last.
Just a few months after a terrifying case that nearly took her life, Detective Lucy Harwin is back with her squad in the coastal town of Brooklyn Bay – and this time, she’s faced with a case more horrifying than anything she’s encountered.

Along with her partner, Detective Mattie Jackson, Lucy is investigating what appears to be a v
Published November 23rd 2017 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Dying Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying Breath

Dash fan
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5☆ Gripping Psychological Thriller, that will leave your Spine Tingling!

Dying Breath is the second book in Detective Lucy Harwin's Crime Thriller
This book can be read as a standalone.

From the very first few pages and the way Helen built up the creepy athmostphere i knew something very bad was going to happen..... and wow I was not wrong!!!

The very sinister and creepy person stalking his victim outside a pub made my skin crawl.... 'His tongue kept snaking from his mouth and licking his lips. The
Sue
DYING BREATH is book # 2 in the Detective Lucy Harwin series, a riveting serial killer fiction by Helen Phifer. Having loved her debut detective novel, THE LOST CHILDREN, a police procedural series set in the coastal town of Brooklyn Bay featuring DI Lucy Harwin, I couldn’t wait to read book 2. I found myself totally absorbed in the believable characters and the story. Another winner for Bookouture and this talented writer!

“He watched and waited, playing his favorite guessing game. Who was going
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Right there and then he'd known that he was different to most kids, probably most people. They were all scared of death and dead people, whereas he was fascinated with them and couldn't get enough. He needed to see a real dead person - he wanted to see if they looked as beautiful as his girls had. He wanted to touch one, stroke their skin, run his fingers through their hair. He wouldn't think twice about kissing one; he wanted to know what it would feel like to put his lips on theirs. H ...more
Carolyn
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping, fast paced psychological thriller involving a pretty cold and creepy psychopath. Detective Lucy Harwin has just returned to work after nearly being killed on her last case, when a strange series of killings starts to happen on her patch. They don't seem to have much in common with different types of people targeted and different modes of death but something makes her think they might be linked, so the race is on to find out who the killer is and what links his victims. The au ...more
Mandy White
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I could not put this book down! I had read the first book in this series and was excited to get into this one, the second Lucy Harwin book. A great story with gruesome murders that twists and turns right until the end. Highly recommend this series. Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for a copy of this book to read and review
Adrian Dooley
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well well well. I loved the first one in this series and if anything this one is better. A cracking read.

We are back with Detective Lucy Harwin and her team in the town of Brooklyn Bay.
When a woman’s body is found exposed on wasteland after being bludgened to death Lucy and her team are sent to investigate what seems a random and isolated attack. Soon another woman’s body is found and then a family are found murdered in their home. None of the murders seem related with nothing whatsoever in co
Schizanthus
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I write this knowing full well I’m surrounded by 5 star reviews so please file this in your 🚨 Danger, Will Robinson! Unpopular Opinions Ahead! 🚨 category.

I’m so conflicted about Dying Breath. By the time I’d finished the first chapter I’d searched Amazon for the first book in the series. By chapter five I no longer wanted to read it and wondered if I’d even make it through this book. By halfway through I wanted to read the first one again. Then partway through the second half I no longer wanted
Pat
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After giving the first book 4.5 stars there was nowhere else to go with this, it had to be five stars.

Detective Lucy Harwin is back, only a few months after the events of book 1 which nearly killer her. Three seemingly unrelated murder scenes in Brooklyn Bay have the police scratching their heads. The modus operandi is different in all three cases, the victimology is different. There seem to be no links. But - it eventually becomes apparent that the killer is replicating famous murders from hist
Denise
Nov 26, 2017 added it
Police procedural and thriller

Detective Inspector Lucy Harwin runs a tight team out of Brooklyn Bay and, in this second book in the series, she's dealing with a very complicated string of murders that may or may not be connected. As the investigation proceeds, Lucy also deals with her personal issues at home and some changes at the station. Meanwhile, a killer is out looking for his next victim.

This fast-paced story is told from the point of view of the criminal as well as from Lucy. Though the
Elaine Tomasso
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of Dying Breath, the second police procedural to feature DI Lucy Harwin of Brooklyn Bay police.

Lucy is called out to a dead body who has been beaten with a hammer and posed. Her alarm bells are ringing and confirmed when a second strangled body is found a few days later. If that is not enough she has an unearthed skeleton and a new colleague she doesn't like to contend with.

I thoroughly enjoyed Dying Breath as its twists, turns a
Monica Mac
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
We are back with Lucy Harwin and her team, who have a new case to crack. Unfortunately, it turns out to be more than one murder and they are very short on leads. The author throws out a heap of red herrings and I am pleased to report that I didn't figure out who the murderer was until quite a long way into the book, which is how it should be :)

Having read the first book in this series, I was wondering if this book was going to reach its dizzy heights, because that book was one of the most thrill
Renita D'Silva
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a book! I absolutely LOVED this breathtakingly fast-paced, tense and astounding story. One of the best crime novels I have read. This author gets better with every book. Her writing is self assured and beautiful, the pace never flags and the story races towards the spectacular denouement. I thoroughly enjoyed this spectacular story and cannot wait for more from this amazing author.
Nicola Parkinson
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookouture
What can I say other than W.O.W!!

This book blew my mind!

Helen is another new to me author and I can safely say this will not be the last book of hers that I read. I’ve umped straight in with book 2, I am missing so personal details that happened in book 1 but I don’ feel this has taken anything away from book 2 in this series. The pace of this book kicks off right away and it has bodies galore! And if, like me you need a body count by chapter 5 then this book deffintly ticks those boxes.

I enjoye
Ankita Singh
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
First of all, thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for giving me a chance to read and review this awesome book!

Dying Breath was chilling, exciting and so very awesome.

I love psychological thrillers and especially the ones with serial killers. I love trying to figure out a killer's pattern, and who he/she might be.

Dying Breath was everything the blurb promised and more! It was exciting, it was full of suspense and just plain awesome.

Lucy Harwin was a strong and real character. I loved her for her d
Book Addict Shaun
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed Helen Phifer’s Dark House, which introduces us to Detective Lucy Harwin, I couldn’t wait to continue with the series and read Dying Breath. I did get a sense of deja vu because the opening was fantastic, the middle gripped me but the ending I once again saw coming from a mile away.

Brooklyn Bay as I said in my review of Dark House is well-imagined and it’s not a place that I would want to live. When two seemingly unconnected murders occur, it’s up to Lucy and her team to try and w
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Oh my GOD!!!!! How the heck did I miss the first book in this series?! More importantly…WHY DID I MISS THE FIRST BOOK IN THIS SERIES! Luckily ‘Dying Breath’ can be read perfectly fine as a standalone, it just means that I now have another book making its way onto my TBR pile as I type. Yes, I did just buy the first book! I might even need to set an alarm on my phone so that I don’t miss the next book!

Can you tell that I
Stacey Camp
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely a cerebral thriller that will keep you on your toes! I’m happy to be part of the blog tour for Helen Phifer’s Dying Breath , which was released today! Happy release day, Helen!

Helen Phifer’s Dying Breath follows seasoned detective Lucy Harwin, who is on the case to solve what appears to be a spree of possibly related killings. The killings are horrific and, at first, seemingly unrelated. The initial targets are women who are displayed in a lewd manner to be found by me
Patricia
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
We all know that person who seems a bit unhealthily obsessed with serial killers.....they seem normal but then you see them reading about serial killers everyday. They even have their favourites. Well imagine that their slightly unhealthy leads to them making a tribute to those killers....No not a website or anything so mundane. Imagine if they decided to pick their favourite killers 'greatest hits' to reenact? Not good right? Well that's exactly what Lucy has on her hands. Two lone women murder ...more
Mary Thomas
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for my copy. 4.5 stars

How How How. How on earth did I miss the first book in these series? Having said that I didn't feel I missed out by jumping straight into this book.

DI Lucy Harwin and her team are investigating a particularly brutal murder of a women found on wasteland when another body is discovered. Could they be related? We also hear the voice told in flashbacks of a boy who realizes very early that he is different to others. I thought this was clever writing and I re
CrazyCat (Alex)
Wait....What!?!?! My jaw just dropped. Did I even had this person on my suspect list. No! How could I not have thought about him, even a little? Well, I loved “Dying Breath” and as the description reads, it really was unputdownable. I hope there are a lot more books to come starring DI Lucy Hawkins. She’s likable, human, with problems and fears, just like everybody else. And I cross my fingers that she and Mattie will take things one step further. They know they want to, just saying. Oh, and ple ...more
Diane Hogg
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually can’t believe it for the second in the series of Detective Lucy Harwin, Dying Breath blew me away, Bloody WoW, blood, guts and gore, couldn’t ask for more, could I, yes I can the next in the series please.

I don’t know what’s been happening lately but, there has been astounding amount of exceptional books that I’ve got my teeth into and found unquestionably phenomenal, what makes Dying Breath just as special……lets have a look shall we.

Dying Breath opens with a belter, the discovery of
Sharon
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the publishers, Bookouture, for this review copy given in exchange for an honest review. Also thank you to Kim and Noelle for expertly, as ever, organising the blog tour and allowing me to be part of it.

This is the second book in the Detective Lucy Harwin Series. It can be read as a standalone book but obviously makes sense to read the books in order to understand the story.

Lucy Harwin is back the coastal town of Brooklyn Bay, trying to solve the murder of
Janet Newport
Thank you Netgalley and Bookoutre for this arc.

I'm still playing catch-up here. I loved this book and tore right through it. As soon as I finished I went on Amazon to get the 1st book of this series. Perfect for fans of Angela Marsons and Robert Bryndza. How is it the Brits write such excellent procedurals? And I saw that Lucy Harwin is not Ms. Phifer's only series. Exciting for me!

The pacing was great (I like fast), and twisty enough that I had to stay very alert....no wandering off to get anot
Susan Angela Wallace
Dying breath by helen phifer.
A womans body is found stripped and bare her skull crushed in.
Detective Inspector Lucy Harwin is on the case. Can she catch him before more bodies turn up? Detective Sergeant Matthew Jackson joins her in the hope of catching whoever did this?
A very enjoyable read with great characters. Even though I didn't know who was doing the murders I felt like I knew them. Didn't see that coming. Looking forward to the next part. 4*.
Barbara
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just what I needed. This is a quick thrill ride of a book. A bit gruesome, but it is about a serial killer. I had trouble pitting this one down, and now I will have to read the first in the series.
Fairly well written, although the end was rushed a little bit, imo. I figured out who the serial killer was, as there were really only two possibilities, and one of them didn't quite feel right for the killer, but that didn't ruin it for me.
I liked the main character, Detective Lucy Harwin. She is a st
Rebecca If Only I Could Read Faster
I really enjoyed Helen Phifer’s first book, Dark House (previously called The Lost Children) that introduced readers to Lucy Harwin, a feisty detective who feels the pain of murder victims so deeply, so when I heard that the second book in the series was coming out I knew that I had to read it.

And it did not disappoint. In fact, I think that it is an even better read and story. I just loved how the story played out, there were twists and turns aplenty and I often thought that I knew who the badd
Bev
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, have-read
Detective Lucy Harwin just might be on her hardest case ever. There is a serial killer in her area and he is killing women that really don't seem to have anything in common and they are all killed in a different manner. What? How is Lucy suppose to be able to tie them together if nothing is the same? This book will have you making a pot of coffee or tea and having a "read-a-thon" until the end....which is quite an ending! Fascinating story you won't want to miss if you are a fan of murder myster ...more
Donna Maguire

This book was absolutely excellent - I could not put it down, it was fantastic!  I really enjoyed the first book in the series so I was really keen to pick up this book and I wasn't disappointed!

The storyline was really good, the pace was spot on and I loved everything from the front cover to the ending.  Lucy is a great character and I really like her style and attitude.  The plot is really gritty and gripping with some gruesome murders taking place - t
Julie Lacey
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another breathtaking book from Helen Phifer.
I think this is even better than the first in the series and I can’t wait for the next one!
In this book you get an insight into the killer’s mind and when he comes into contact with a convicted murderer, his admiration for him becomes more and more twisted.
Detective Lucy Harwin has an improved relationship with her daughter and you get a sense that she’s more level headed going into this investigation.
However, events soon take a turn for the worst a
Claire Watson
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dying Breath is the second book on the Detective Lucy Harwin series. I really enjoyed the first book just found this one to be even better. It’s billed as unputdownable serial killer fiction and it definitely lives up to that.

There’s a serial killer on the loose in Brooklyn Bay and Lucy and the team race against the clock to catch him before he kills again. Gruesome, gory and with some nice little twists, it’s everything you want in a book. I can highly recommend this book.

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Silent Girls (Detective Anna Gwynne, #1)
  • The Amulet (The Midnight Eye Files Book 1)
  • The Killing House (Paula Maguire, #6)
  • Last Lullaby (Detective Natalie Ward, #2)
  • The Shout
  • Death Note (Detective Ruby Preston, #1)
  • Hunted (DS Heckenburg, #5)
  • Seized (The Profiler #3)
  • Her Final Hour (Detective Gina Harte, #2)
  • Blood Mist (DCI Eve Clay, #1)
  • Bled
  • Merciless (DI Kate Fletcher #2)
  • The Red Hot Fix (Justice Series, #2)
  • The Bone Keeper
  • After She's Gone (DI Matthew Adams, #1)
  • The Shadow Cartel (Dominic Grey, #4)
  • NOT A BOOK: Tear Drop
  • Legacy: An Anthology

Detective Lucy Harwin (3 books)
  • The Lost Children (Detective Lucy Harwin, #1)
  • Last Light (Detective Lucy Harwin #3)