Start by marking “Kowabana: 'True' Japanese scary stories from around the internet: Volume One” as Want to Read:
Kowabana: 'True' Japanese scary stories from around the internet: Volume One

Kowabana: 'True' Japanese scary stories from around the internet: Volume One

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  60 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Tired of the same old creepypastas? Look no further.

“This book left my spine tingling and had my heart racing for more.”

Want to know how to open the demon’s gate, or reach a parallel universe?

Think you can withstand the curse of a god hidden deep in a place that’s not supposed to exist?

Would you play Kokkuri-san, knowing it might be the last game you ever play?

In Kowab

Published October 13th 2017 by Orochi Press

To ask other readers questions about Kowabana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kowabana

really liked it 4.00  ·

Heather
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given an e book version of Kowabana in exchange for an honest review.

For whatever reason Asian horror is just creepier than any other horror I read or watch. The stories in this book are no exception. Told in sparse narrative, these stories have the air of a friend telling you about a local urban legend. Some weren’t my cup of tea or just dragged on a little too much but overall this book was a fun, creepy read.
Book lover
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chilling tales

A compilation of short stories that leave up to the title. The tales are not gruesome but instill fear with hints of the supernatural that are stranger than fiction. I will be reading the next book in the series. I hope it will keep me up at night and make me not want yo be alone in the dark. For horror, thriller, SciFi fans looking for something short and not so sweet.
Virginia Aikens
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creepy and Fun

Reading this book was a lot like sitting around a fire telling stories with friends. The stories are (mostly) very short and organised by theme. They are translations of Japanese urban legends, so anticipate that there will be some loose ends.

I first found Devlin while listening to podcasts, and reading her translations is equally enjoyable. If you are looking for some creepy stories to make you jump at noises in the dark, this is a good book for you!
Jeremy Snider
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i agreed to leave a honest review so i could get this book ahead of time

This book truly opens eyes to eastern culture and their views on the supernatural many of which seem to respect the dead. This book left my spin tingling and had my heart racing for more cant wait to read volume two at some point.
Diana Herrera
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is hilarious! A few of the stories were actually creepy, but most of them gave me a good laugh. Great fun. I've already bought the next 2 volumes.
Amy Ballester
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed the stories and learning more of the culture. Very creepy and kept my attention !
Shenny
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
An intriguing combination of various Japanese urban legends and scary stories. Really worth a read even if (or maybe especially if?) you don't know nothing about Japanese folklore. Loved it!
Tyler
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just like English-language creepypasta, there are some excellent stories hidden among a lot of really bad ones. This book is a little difficult to get through merely because the truly frightening stories are, in my opinion, few and far between. I love Japanese culture and horror, so I was thrilled to read this book. I really wanted to love this book, but overall I have to say that I didn't. There are several very bad stories that do nothing for me. This is not a reflection on the editor / transl ...more
Wyrd Witch
Creepypasta is an interesting subgenre not only of horror but of the campfire story. It’s inherently tied to the internet, usually kept anonymous, and usually told in a direct manner. Taken at face value, a good creepypasta story scares the reader without making them question the plausibility of the story.

Thus, a translated collection of creepypasta can be challenging. Most translated horror tends to be difficult because fears can be personal on both an individual level and a societal level. Can
Jessica
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I wish I could give it a higher score. The translations are well done and the stories are interesting, but the book is heavily advertised on the podcast and yet if you listen to the podcast you have already read this book. No point in doing both.
Vaclav
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing really great.

This isn’t a jab against the author. The translation work was done well. This is mainly a jab at the stories found in this book. None of them caught my attention and some of them simply didn’t make any sense.
Rikke Petersen
Jun 03, 2018
Katherine Olofson
Jul 23, 2018
Tara Devlin
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Elvia Contreras
Rachael Smith
Aug 29, 2018
Jenn Mitchell
Sep 04, 2019
Tara A. Devlin studied Japanese at the University of Queensland before moving to Japan in 2005. She lived in Matsue, the birthplace of Japanese ghost stories, for 10 years, where her love for Japanese horror really grew. And with Izumo, the birthplace of Japanese mythology, just a stone’s throw away, she was never too far from the mysterious. You can find her collection of horror and fantasy writi ...more