Start by marking “With Love in Sight (Twice Shy, #1)” as Want to Read:
With Love in Sight (Twice Shy, #1)

With Love in Sight

(Twice Shy #1)

From RWA's 2017 Golden Heart Winner comes a story of passion that is much more than meets the eye.

An aging spinster at 26, all Imogen Duncan sees ahead of her is a life of servitude to her overbearing mother. Her London Season has passed and her desperate shyness and reserved demeanor has destroyed any chance for a match. As her younger sister Mariah begins her own Season
Published March 27th 2018 by Diversion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about With Love in Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Love in Sight

Hello Stranger by Lisa KleypasThe Other Miss Bridgerton by Julia QuinnWicked and the Wallflower by Sarah MacLeanThe Governess Game by Tessa DareBeyond Scandal and Desire by Lorraine Heath
2018 Historical Romance
248 books — 388 voters
Don't Call Me Cupcake by Tara SheetsRainbirds by Clarissa GoenawanEverything Here Is Beautiful by Mira T. LeeThe Queen of Hearts by Kimmery MartinNever Dare a Wicked Earl by Renee Ann Miller
Authors18
124 books — 197 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of With Love in Sight (Twice Shy, #1)
Elena Mikalsen
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not a huge fan of Regency Romance, but this book was just lovely. Very sexy, wonderfully written characters. One of my favorite plots of a shy heroine and a case of mistaken identity. Great debut!
Jultri
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75/5. 26 years old spinster, Imogen, has resigned herself to a future as the daughter left behind to care for her parents once her younger and far more beautiful sisters have both married. Given the misery of her middle sister’s marriage, she has convinced herself that spinsterhood is probably a better option in any case, even if it means living under her overbearing and dominant mother’s thumb for the rest of her life. Her youngest sister is the success of the current Season, whereas Imogen, ...more
Suanne
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
With Love in Sight is debut author Christina Britton’s new historical romance. It is a combination of the tortured hero and friends-to-lovers romance tropes with a bit of the “Ugly Duckling” thrown in.

Imogen Duncan, a plain, spectacle-wearing older sister, was passed over by suitors during her London season eight years earlier. She believes her life is preordained to care for her parents as they age. Caleb Masters, the tortured hero, suffers substantial guilt believing he caused his little brot
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'll admit, I didn't really like With Love in Sight at first. I read a LOT of historical romance, and there was something about the writing that felt clunky to me. With about 1500 romance books under my belt, I've become extremely discerning, and I was afraid With Love in Sight wouldn't make the cut. However, the book really did grow on me the more I read.

The book is a pretty classic wallflower tale with the reformed rake as a counterpoint. Truly, Caleb didn't seem like much of a rake at all, a
Aisha
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet story. I really adored Caleb even with his haunted past. Imogene was great in the beginning but she did bug me towards the middle but redeemed herself in the end. I received this book from NetGalley for a honest review.
Randee Green
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC.

WITH LOVE IN SIGHT is Christina Britton’s debut historical romance novel. It is the first book in the Twice Shy series, and RWA's 2017 Golden Heart Winner.

Imogen Duncan is 26 years old, and her London Season is long past. With no hope (or desire) of getting married, Imogen is prepared to live with her parents for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, her mother is overbearing and almost always disappointed in her oldest daughter. The woman won’
Nicole
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novel was an enjoyable read. This is the first novel I have read from this author. I enjoyed the plot and character development.
Lady Imogen Duncan knows she will be a spinster. She is rather shy and does not see herself as a beauty. She obeys her mother since her mother does not want society to think they have a blue stocking for a daughter. Imogen begins to see there is more to her when she is mistaken for another woman and receives a kiss from a notorious rake. Caleb Masters, Marquess of
Renae
Jul 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I also hope this does not win a RITA. (these awards are a true shit show)

Firstly, shy wallflower spinster books are just...so overdone. I am tired of them. And this book brought absolutely nothing fresh, interesting, or readable to the trope. Unless you're bringing me a black wallflower spinster or a shy queer spinster, don't @ me. Stop.

Secondly, WHAT THE FUCK was going on with this hero? The heroine (whose name I forgot because this book is exceedingly bland) tells this guy no less than 3 time
Staci
Feb 14, 2018 added it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a fun fast read. I fell in love with Imogen and Caleb. Imogen is a spinster, wallflower, and Caleb is the misunderstood rake who hides his emotional baggage behind the facade of being a womanizer. Then Imogen comes crashing into his life, and everything changes. They bring out the best in each other as their friendship develops. This story frustrated me at times, but overall it was very entertaining.
Minerva Spencer
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for historical romance books with chicks who wear specs and With Love in Sight is no exception.

I liked Caleb, but I must admit I was partial to Imogen and enjoyed her inner workings and watching her personal growth over the course of the book.

Britton does an excellent job developing a couple of my favorite tropes: the wallflower/scrappy spinster and the-rake-with-a-heart-of-gold. I thought she deviated enough from the standard treatments to keep the story fresh and interesting.

Th
Caitlyn Lynch
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What’s a wallflower to do? Imogen is the merely pretty sister in a family of Incomparables. Resigning herself to fading into the background, the naturally shy debutante joins the ranks of the wallflowers, accepting her lot as the unmarriageable sister destined to be a comfort to her parents in their declining years.

Hurt by the cruel words of some gossips, Imogen flees into a darkened garden in tears one night and stumbles straight into the arms of Caleb, Marquis of Willbridge. There to meet a wi
Shannon
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
"" She shot him a sly look. "I wonder, is my propensity for not accepting compliments better or worse than your propensity for fishing for more?"
He laughed. "Oh, certainly yours is much worse. For mine merely makes me all the more charming."
Her lips quirked. "Well, I am certainly glad you have not lost your modesty." ""

Such great characters. Caleb and Imogen lit up the page from the first chapter where our poor miss spinsterish Imogen is caught into a sudden (scandalously delicious) kiss by our
Maddison Michaels
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful debut! I absolutely love a good wallflower and rake story, and this one was simply marvelous. I loved watching the heroine, Imogen's journey of growth, and Caleb was just perfect for her. This was a winner and I cannot wait to read more of Ms Britton's novels!
Angela
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not sure if the author meant to do this, but the play on words in the title is great. This is a very sweet story of two people who become friends, best friends, that slowly develops into love. Caleb seems likes a happy-go-lucky kind of guy but he cannot get past his demons. Imogen is a lovely character but she is a bit mousy when it comes to her mother. With the help of Imogen, Caleb finally overcomes his demons but in the process he loses his friend. Can he win back Imogen?

I received a com
Meghan Lloyd
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, this book gave me the chills! It is a beautiful love story, with enchanting characters and a romance that makes you wish you could step write into the heroine's shoes. I was only halfway through the book when I realized that this book would be a lovely addition to my Best Books of 2018 list. The story was so well-written, and I couldn't help but want more as soon as it ended. I didn't want to put it down.

Miss Imogen Duncan is quite used to being a wallflower. At 26, her mother ha
wonderfullyweird88
Imogen Duncan at the age of twenty-six, is the spinster in her family. Facing a future as her parents aging companion she longs for an adventure. Her mother, forbidding Imogen from where spectacles while in public, browbeats Imogen at every opportunity. Seeking escape one evening she stumbles into the arms of a gentleman who mistakenly believes her to be someone else.
Caleb, Marquess of Willbrid
Lori D
As I have turned the last page, my heart is full. This was such a romantic story of possibilities when least expected that changed two lives just by a chance meeting. A shy wallflower on the shelf at 26, Imogene Duncan is only participating in the season in London to support her beautiful younger sister Mariah's debut. Her mother only dotes on her sister and really just disparages Imogene every chance she can get. At a ball, Imogene escapes to the garden after hearing ugly gossip and runs pell m ...more
Tracy Emro
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Imogen Duncan is a plain, shy, spectacle wearing, twenty-six year old wallflower. She is participating in the season for her younger sister Mariah. While watching her (or trying to since her mother won't let her wear her spectacles in public) beautiful sister dance, she happens to overhear some matrons talking about her sisters, but when the talk turns to her, she gets upset and needs to escape the ballroom. She runs out to the gardens and straight into the arms and lips of Caleb Masters, Marque ...more
Brenda
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Publisher's Description:

A witty Regency Romance from 2017 Romance Writers of America’s Golden Heart Winner Christina Britton, perfect for fans of Julia Quinn and Tessa Dare.

An aging spinster at twenty-six, all Imogen Duncan sees ahead of her is a life of servitude to her overbearing mother. Her London Season has passed and her desperate shyness and reserved demeanor have destroyed any chance for a match. As her younger sister Mariah begins her own Season with a selection of suitors, Imogen beli
Suze Lavender
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Imogen is the ugly duckling of her family. Her mother's constant unkind remarks have destroyed Imogen's confidence and she hasn't been able to find a husband, because she's too shy to put herself out there. She's now twenty-six years old and has accepted she'll never marry and will be the daughter who's destined to take care of her parents when they age. Imogen's only reason to attend balls is to support her beautiful sister, who has her first Season and hopes to find a good husband. Imogen long ...more
Maria Dariotis
Debut Release by Christina Britton
With Love in Sight (Twice Shy book 1)

Imogen Duncan has been overshadowed by her beautiful sisters all her life.
First upon her debut her sister Francis and now at twenty-six by her younger sister Mariah. A wallflower at balls she’s not permitted to wear her glasses lest she bring shame to her family and ruin her sisters chances at a good match.
Always invisible always forgotten, her life one of spinsterhood and perhaps the care of her parents...until she literally
Pamela Flowers  Jolly
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! Loved this book with a delightful H and h! Unfortunately I read the first few chapters just before coming down with the flu, and must have set it aside and forgotten I had started it, then when I was feeling better read several other books. Happened to come upon it and thought I had read it, but couldn’t recall the story completely and looked it up on Goodreads and realized I hadn’t finished it and did so, loved it.
Imogen is a spinster sister of a beautiful younger sister, and resigned t
Amy Vida
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of With Love In Site in exchange for an honest review.
What a great story. It had a unique plot, and it was so easy to fall in love with Imogen and Caleb. They were polar opposites, but Caleb was "all in!" Great book that I would recommend to friends. And family.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, regency, review
I received With Love in Sight by Christina Britton from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. It is the first in her Twice Shy Series. I have never read anything from Christina Britton and this was a delightful introduction to her.
Imogen Duncan is a twenty-six year old spinster whose destiny is to be in servitude of her parents. Caleb Masters is the Marquess of Willbridge living in guilt and numbing his pain with debauchery. When Imogen flees a party and lands in Caleb’s arms, an unlikely fr
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
P Leslie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I voluntarily read a Review Copy of this book. All opinion stated are solely my own and no one elses*

Fate brings Imogen and Caleb together by mere chance, due to mistaken identity: yet the passionate kiss that follows leaves them hungering for more.

I loved the sizzling chemistry between Imogen and Caleb. An unexpected friendship turns into a sweet, heart consuming yet beautiful relationship. My heart broke for Caleb - he carried so much burden on his shoulders but it took a special woman to se
Amy Alvis
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Imogen and Caleb's story!!

An aging spinster meets a known rake and they form a friendship. It was so unusual for the H/H of a romance to become friends first and that was a nice change of pace. Of course, the more time they spend together and get to know the real person behind the image they portray, a mutual physical attraction develops. How will things progress for this known rake and determined spinster?

This debut novel by Britton was amazing! Her secondary characters were
Diana Lloyd
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is much to like about this book. The heroine, Imogen, is bespectacled, older, and a bit shy. But, just because she's no dewy debutante doesn't mean she doesn't harbor dreams. Hero, Caleb, is a swoon-worthy man who, given the opportunity, begins to view a wallflower in a whole new light. Both Imogen and Caleb have much to overcome before they can see a future together and their journey is thoughtful, delightful, and satisfying.

This title provided to me by NetGalley in exchange for a unbiase
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
A solid example of my favorite tropes: a plain heroine doesn't believe the hero loves her. Her mother has done a number on her self-esteem, the hero has a secret, misunderstandings, angst, all the things I love in my HRs.
Thewalkingdreamer
3.5 !
x 3.25 -> A solid 4 for the first half of the book, 2.5 for the second half !
x With Love in Sight is debut author Christina Britton’s first historical romance so +0.25 =3.5 !

It was an overall enjoyable HR read, even if it is Christina Britton first published book, one could hardly tell, it was well-written & has a good pace, quite a page-turner in fact !

THE PLOT
When I read the reviews, I saw it described as a -strangers meet, develop a great friendship which turns eventually into a blossom
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lady in Waiting (Reluctant Brides, #1)
  • The Devilish Duke (Saints & Scoundrels, #1)
  • Never Dare a Wicked Earl (Infamous Lords, #1)
  • More or Less a Marchioness (The Somerset Sisters, #1)
  • A Duke by Any Other Name (Rogues to Riches, #4)
  • Ten Kisses to Scandal (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #2)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • Never Deceive a Viscount (Infamous Lords, #2)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • The Marquis and I (The Worthingtons, #4)
  • The Earl in My Bed (Rebellious Desires #2)
  • More or Less a Countess (The Somerset Sisters, #2)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • What Ales the Earl (Widow's Brew, #1)
  • The Truth About Cads and Dukes (Rescued from Ruin, #2)
  • Never Deny a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #3)
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • Last Night with the Earl (The Devils of Dover, #2)
Christina Britton developed a passion for writing romance novels shortly after buying her first at the tender age of thirteen. Though for several years she turned to art and put brush instead of pen to paper, she has returned to her first love and is now writing full time. She spends her days dreaming of corsets and cravats and noblemen with tortured souls.

She lives with her husband and two childr

Twice Shy (3 books)
  • The Viscount's Promise (Twice Shy, #2)
  • A Match Made in London (Twice Shy, #3)

News & Interviews