Start by marking “Mere Hope: Life in an Age of Cynicism” as Want to Read:
Mere Hope: Life in an Age of Cynicism

Mere Hope: Life in an Age of Cynicism

How are Christians to live in such difficult times?

Unique of all people, Christians are called to embrace a hopeful outlook on life. Mere Hope offers the core, Christ-centered perspective that all Christians share, and that Christians alone have to offer a world filled with frustration, pain, and disappointment. For those in darkness, despair, and discouragement, for thos
Published June 1st 2018 by B Books

To ask other readers questions about Mere Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mere Hope

Start your review of Mere Hope: Life in an Age of Cynicism
Faith
An insightful look into the hope we have in Christ, Mere Hope was an encouragement to me that came exactly when I needed it.

When this book showed up on my dashboard for review, I almost skipped it. I had several other nonfiction books that I wanted to read soon, so I didn't see any sense in requesting another that I may end up dreading having to trudge through. But when I saw the title, I knew I needed this one—Hope has became 'my word' in recent months. (Plus, the cover is lovely, so #win <3)

Th
David J. Harris
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is perhaps the most edifying book I have read in 2018. Many books that attempt to be uplifting or encouraging are often theologically shallow and full of emotional drivel. Mere Hope, despite its brevity, is heavy on gospel clarity (Duesing even devotes space to explain the difference between such words as propitiation and expiation) and is both logically ordered and well reasoned. But its depth does not take away from the fact that it is an immense pleasure to read. The author illustrates u ...more
Christine Hoover
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mere Hope is straight forward, solid truth about what the Christian's hope is and how we can live according to that hope. A quick read and a much-needed reminder for me.
Brad Bartlett
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mere Hope is a book suited for the days it was written in - when our eyes are tuned to the many disasters and catastrophes, both real and (most of the time) imagined, and turned away from the holy hope found in a risen Savior.

I was able to listen to the audio of Duesing’s book while on a long training run, and with it clocking in at just of two and half hours, it is the perfect length for expounding on the mystery of the Christian’s true hope while still drawing the reader to look to scripture
Daniel Ligon
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mere Hope is a simple, encouraging book that encourages Christians to find our hope in the gospel of Christ. Jason Duesing defines biblical hope as "a patient, disciplined, confident waiting for and expectation of the Lord as our Savior." This book is a reminder that, although we live in a broken world where it's easy to become cynical, hope in Christ is foundational to the Christian faith. Rather than just positive self-help clichés, Mere Hope offers reminders of who we are in Christ and the di ...more
Rusty McMullen
Cynicism towards religion, Christianity, and Jesus pervade modern society. Despair and destruction are common place in the daily life of most people creating a hopelessness of thought and morals. “Mere Hope” is a timely reminder that as believers in Jesus Christ we cling to a true hope that transcends this world. In Jesus there is hope greater than the disparity of this world that can overcome cynicism. Jesus Christ is the hope and light in this age of cynicism that is desperately needed.

This bo
DeAron Washington
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book briefly reminds us why believers should live as though they have a living hope because they do. It is a response to our culture’s cynicism and evangelical stoicism. We need more books like this that remind us of our unchanging hope in Christ.

I did find this book too short. I would have like the last chapter to offer more specific applications. It did offer helpful tips, but I would have like to see more how do you incorporate this into your daily living.

With that being said it is stil
Karl Dumas
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Hope is often what keeps us going. Hope in a brighter future, hope in the hereafter, hope in something. And for Christians hope is a powerful reminder that what we go through in this life, will someday be forgotten as we pass onto eternity with God. Unfortunately our hope is often tempered by our cynical attitudes, and the cynicism of the world around us.
In his book Mere Hope: Life in an Age of Cynicism (B&H Books, 2018), Jason G. Duesing addresses these 2 issues. He draws from the writings of
Chris Wilson
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jason G. Duesing has written a gem of a book on "Mere Hope" and much like Lewis's "Mere Christianity" it covers the basic, necessary components of what makes Hope work in the life of a follower of Christ. Based off of four places to look for hope: down, inside, outside, and up the reader is called to remember that we, as the people of God, have the antidote for every scenario in which sin and the world would try to rob us of hope.

My greatest takeaway from this book centered on the foil Mere Hope
Michelle Kidwell
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Mere Hope
Life in an Age of Cynicism
by Jason G. Duesing
B&H Publishing Group (B&H Books, Holman Bibles, B&H Español, and B&H Kids)

B&H Books
Christian
Pub Date 01 Jun 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Mere Hope through B&H Books and Netgalley:

We live in a time of cynicism, a time of difficulty, a time of struggles and a time of hate but that is not to say we are without hope.

We are reminded too though that for every act of terror in the world today, there are a thousand acts of sacrificial service as well
Jason Park
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, reading-in-2018
A short but important book that has the potential to change your outlook on the world. My full review: https://medium.com/@jpark_21/mere-hop... ...more
Julie D.
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a short little book about the cynicism it's so easy to fall into when we see the difficult things going on around us.

Mr. Duesing brings a lot of my favorite authors into this book like C.S. Lewis, Tolkien and more. I wasn't sure why J.K. Rowling was quoted in this book but I'm not a fan of hers so this is definitely my bias showing through. However, for the most part I enjoyed the different quotes and thoughts behind this book.

This book has six chapters, each focusing on hope. These incl
Phillip Cole
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is an opinion that the bad side must be true, that people always have an ulterior motive. We are suspicious of people who help others for no apparent reason. Jason G. Duesing writes that we need to refocus on hope, hope that comes from Jesus.

In Mere Hope, the word mere is used in the sense of core or essential, not the minimum required. Hope is an important part of following God, as we don't know everything. However, hope is being traded in for self reliance. To combat this Duesing gives 4
Rachel
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Inspiring, straight forward, quick and easy to read. This book is a much needed reminder for the Christian to turn away from the chaos going on around the world and look to Jesus and the Gospel. This book can best be summarized by these quotes:

"'Right living in this world of opposition begins by remembering the gospel.' Time spent recollecting the good news is not a vain exercise for the Christian. In fact, it is exactly what
When I first took a look at Mere Hope, I’ll admit, I thought its content would be totally different than what’s inside. What would lead me to think that? Well, it’s a small book (like a gift book or devotional) with a lighthearted illustration amidst a pale blue backdrop. So, I though this would be a light, on-sitting read with encouragement to infuse the soul with hope. Is that what this book is?

Well, no.

But I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss this book just because its content doesn’t match its
David  Schroeder
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
You read a book in a day because you are compelled to soak up every drop of dew that it provides in encouragement. "Mere Hope" is that encouragement and what author Jason Duesing does is point the way to this hope. This hope that never disappoints and always satisfies. I am incredibly grateful for the day, a good day that I should not forget. Perhaps that is the point of the book and will be worth re-reading soon enough.

"As bearers of light of God's Word, gathered in local church fellowships jo
Jordan Wilbanks
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is outstanding. It's a summary of conversations I've had in my own ministry with developing church leaders, just to remind us that with all that's going on in the world and in the chaos of our lives, we are quick to lose our eternal perspective. But in Christ our hope cannot be moved or shaken. We should remind ourselves as Christians that our hope doesn't depend on us: it depends on the eternal, sovereign, and trustworthy hand of God himself. This is a message we desperately need to o ...more
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I rarely write critical reviews, but I must be honest with you here. I definitely did not love this book. The cover design and description led me to believe this book would be something different–a small book full of practical theology, hopeful devotions, and personal stories. Instead, it read exactly like a dissertation. As much as I love studying, I don’t want to read a heavy academic text when I’m hurting and looking for hope. I could not connect with the author’s professor-like voice, mostly ...more
Samuel Parkison
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A much needed gospel shot in the arm. You will not regret reading this book.
Kyle Hoover
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book on how to live with hope amidst a cynical culture and suffering. It is accessible to both deep thinkers and those wanting encouragement on hope and how to have it in life. Just the part on propitiation (explained and why it is amazing) is worth the read itself.
Ryan King
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review largely sums up my thoughts: https://www.booksataglance.com/book-r... ...more
Jessica
in three words: a necessary panacea.
Renee Young
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
#readRENEEread

Jason Duesing has penned a helpful book that points the reader to refocus on the actual hope we have as Christ-followers. In a day where tragic circumstances, failing morality, and seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel, Duesing encourages the Christ-follower to remember where (or rather in whom) their anchor of hope lies. “With his victorious resurrection, Jesus made available in his own righteousness to all who believe (Philippians 3:9)” The incarnation, mediation, and propi
Kevin Choate
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
In Mere Hope, Duesing breaks down what hope looks like in the Christian faith. In an age of cynicism, Hope supplies a lens to view life. Despite the trouble, the unrest, the pain or suffering, Hope permeates the life of the Christian.

Developing a full understanding of the propitiation of Christ, this book helps the Christian understand the fullness of the Gospel thus providing a realistic and attainable viewpoint of how to live our life.
Alan Rathbun
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought this would be good to read a book on hope during the Corona pandemic and thought this might be a good choice. The solid part is that it has strong theology, I enjoyed the literature references, and I picked up some great quotes on hope. Unfortunately, overall it wasn’t what I expected. From my perspective, the author spent more space contrasting biblical hope with stoicism than he did contrasting it with cynicism as the title leads you to expect.
Monica Litteral
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book... pointing us to Christ... He is the only true... mere... Hope in this dark and cynical world we live. We must keep our eyes on Jesus... spend time in His word... and with follow Christians...
Elizabeth Dombrowski

• Spiritual Gifts: What They Are and Why They Matter
  • Handle with Care: How Jesus Redeems the Power of Touch in Life and Ministry
  • None Greater: The Undomesticated Attributes of God
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • Spirit of Steamboat (Walt Longmire, #9.1)
  • The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place
  • Any Other Name (Walt Longmire, #10)
  • Faith for Exiles: Five Ways to Help Young Christians Be Resilient, Follow Jesus, and Live Differently in Digital Babylon
  • All That's Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment
  • In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character
  • Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life
  • 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You
  • Dallas and the Spitfire: An Old Car, an Ex-Con, and an Unlikely Friendship
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
Serving Christ at the end of all things (1 Peter 4:7) for the glory of God (1 Peter 4:11) and the joy of all nations (Psalm 67:4), Jason G. Duesing is the academic Provost and Professor of Historical Theology at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary & College. Duesing earned his Ph.D. in Historical Theology and Baptist Studies from Southwestern Seminary in 2008. He also holds a M.Div. from South ...more

News & Interviews