Start by marking “The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook: A Proven Way to Accept Yourself, Build Inner Strength, and Thrive” as Want to Read:

Are you kinder to others than you are to yourself? More than a thousand research studies show the benefits of being a supportive friend to yourself, especially in times of need. This science-based workbook offers a step-by-step approach to breaking free of harsh self-judgments and impossible standards in order to cultivate emotional well-being. In a convenient large-size ...more
Published August 29th 2018 by The Guilford Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook

Start your review of The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook: A Proven Way to Accept Yourself, Build Inner Strength, and Thrive
Julia
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clinical-work
I heard Kristen Neff give a keynote at a conference in 2016, and have been a fan since then (her website, https://self-compassion.org, is a great resource if you want to explore the concept of self-compassion before purchasing), dabbling in incorporating self-compassion with my other clinical work. It's a pretty seamless blend with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, mindfulness, and interpersonal approaches I often use with patients. This book is a really excellent combination of psychoeducation ...more
Stephanie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I’ve known people who have attended Drs. Neff and Germer’s 8-week MSC (Mindful Self-Compassion) program and raved about it. And I have heard recently that I would never talk to or about a friend the way I talk to or about myself, so the opportunity provided by Guilford Press and NetGalley to read "The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook" in exchange for my honest review seemed timely, to say the least.

The book is written for the layperson, and includes stories of people who have used Neff and
Sippy
3.5 punten. Zeker een punt aftrek voor de beroerde vertaling. Het is verder een goed boek, met nuttige oefeningen en inzichten en overzichtelijk ingedeeld. Maar de Nederlandstalige versie leest onnodig stroef door de vertaling die vrijwel doorlopend te dicht bij het Engels blijft en daardoor onnatuurlijk en onnodig formalistisch aandoet. Er is -zo blijkt weer- goede reden om dit soort boeken gewoon in het Engels te lezen, wat ik meestal ook doe.

Naast deze kort door de bocht recensie kan je ook
Jenneffer
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me start a daily discipline of mindfulness and meditation. I discovered so many emotions I had never dealt with, and thought I had. Many exercises helped me practice being loving and compassionate with myself. I will return to it again as needed. Highly recommended.
Carolyn
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I happened to watch Kristin Neff’s popular TED talk on self-compassion and was intrigued with the concept. I went to her website to get more information and saw that this workbook had just been released.

Self-compassion stems from the idea that often we treat others with more compassion than we treat ourselves. For example, after a friend’s break-up with her boyfriend, we would console her and tell her how wonderful a person she is and how crazy her boyfriend is for giving her up. However, when
Ellen Bard
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while also doing the course on Mindful Self-Compassion. It's clearly written, with plenty of useful exercises. I think doing the course would benefit most people, so if you're looking for a way to be kinder to yourself, this is a really good place to start.
Angela R. Hennen
Informational - educational

A great workbook but I found the end of chapter exercises to be redundant and felt all that could be saved for the end of the book. I skipped over and skimmed it. I will however dig deeper into meditation practices.
Melissa Chaffos
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life-changing

This book truly helped me learn to love myself. The workbook is a great way to embrace who we are and how to help yourself. This book changed my life and the practices it shows can be done daily. It's a book that keeps one giving.
Lil
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book was great and can help anyone on the road to self-compassion. It is written well and in a manner that shows compassion towards the reader.
Anne-Marie Ferraro
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful book. I went through it in a group setting which I think makes all the difference. Many useful tools to take throughout life.
Dearwassily
Though parts of this did help me in significant ways, other parts were pretty cheesy. I might give 3.5 stars, if that were an option.
Jacob
Tony Bates
Apr 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Dance of Anger
  • Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It
  • The Intuitive Eating Workbook: Ten Principles for Nourishing a Healthy Relationship with Food
  • Body Kindness:  Transform Your Health from the Inside Out—and Never Say Diet Again
  • Code
  • The Site Reliability Workbook: Practical Ways to Implement SRE
  • What My Mother Doesn't Know (What My Mother Doesn't Know #1)
  • Whole Again: Healing Your Heart and Rediscovering Your True Self After Toxic Relationships and Emotional Abuse
  • Rethinking Narcissism: The Secret to Recognizing and Coping with Narcissists
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • The 4 Laws of Financial Prosperity: Get Control of Your Money Now!
  • The Human Magnet Syndrome: The Codependent Narcissist Trap
  • Done With The Crying: Help and Healing for Mothers of Estranged Adult Children
  • The Bitch in the House: 26 Women Tell the Truth About Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood, and Marriage
  • The Anxiety and Worry Workbook: The Cognitive Behavioral Solution
  • Divine Alignment: How GodWink Moments Guide Your Journey
  • The Best of Everything
  • All Who Go Do Not Return
Dr. Kristin Neff is an Associate Professor in Human Development and Culture at the University of Texas at Austin.

During Kristin’s last year of graduate school in 1997 she became interested in Buddhism, and has been practicing meditation in the Insight Meditation tradition ever since. While doing her post-doctoral work she decided to conduct research on self-compassion – a central construct in