Start by marking “Vanlife Diaries: Finding Freedom on the Open Road” as Want to Read:
Vanlife Diaries: Finding Freedom on the Open Road

Vanlife Diaries: Finding Freedom on the Open Road

A photography book celebrating the nomadic lifestyle and community of vanlife through interviews, essential advice for living on the road, and more than 200 photos of tiny rolling homes.

Inspired by the blog and Instagram account, Vanlife Diaries is an inspiring and detailed look into the world of the rolling homes built and occupied by a new generation of modern gypsies: a
Published April 9th 2019 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Vanlife Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanlife Diaries

Start your review of Vanlife Diaries: Finding Freedom on the Open Road
Tifferzzz
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
My husband and I have joined the multitudes shifting their perspectives to minimalism. After watching the movie Minimalism, my focus has been on other ideas and concepts of how to maximize small spaces. As a librarian, I come across thousands of books everyday and this was one which recently graced our shelves. The gorgeous cover in its dark blue with the quiet star drenched sky immediately caught my attention and relayed the feeling of peace, quiet, comfort, and solitude. I was intrigued.

The
Amber Reifsteck
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked up up this book mainly looking for simple off-grid living ideas. Because vanlifers usually have to be off-grid and DIY a lot of their setups, they're a great resource for off-grid living ideas, even if you're not interested in vanlifing (though after reading this book, you might be very interested in doing exactly that). I found it to be just the right balance of information and imagery. Great tips for everything one might encounter along the way living in a van (or ideas for living off ...more
Melvin Marsh, M.S.
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: camping, photography
I think I was expected more about how to deal with vanlife than having little features about how other people ended up in vanlife. It is mostly photography which was not what I was looking for. All the stories about other people are short too. I am looking to join vanlife so wasn't what I was hoping for. Oh well, live and learn.
Claudia
Aug 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this book. All of the people profiled are young and want to live off the grid. I was hoping for a better mix of people including some who aren't living in a 1990's van they converted themselves.
Tara deCamp
Meh. I liked it, but it's nothing special. I've considered joining #vanlife so it's a cool glimpse into the stories behind others doing it.
Megan Coghill
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Beautifully presented book, aimed at inspiring rather than guiding the process of fitting out a Van.
Rana
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not planning on joining the #vanlife or anything, but I follow some people on Instagram who live out of vans so I'm curious. For an outsider, I thought this was a nice look into that lifestyle.
Virginia
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book will make you want to go more than you already do.
Varrick Nunez
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vanlife
I picked this up because my cousin has adopted this lifestyle recently. He looks to be in good company as he roams about the country in his Ford Transit Connect. He added a bunk, a small electric top load fridge, storage under his bunk, & lash points for other gear. Kind of a backpacker approach, very minimalist.

So this book is less about the how, the builds etc., although you do see some ideas, it's more about the why. It's appealing, could be a somewhat greener approach as they have a very
Sophie
Apr 21, 2019
Emily
Jul 27, 2019

• Van Life: Inspiration for Your Home on the Road
  • Tinderbox: The Untold Story of the Up Stairs Lounge Fire and the Rise of Gay Liberation
  • Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
  • Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction
  • A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander, #8.5)
  • The Whitest Flower (Ellen O'Malley #1)
  • The Second Mountain
  • Dog Songs
  • Rothko: The Color Field Paintings
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • Amateur: A True Story About What Makes a Man
  • The Movement of Clouds Around Mount Fuji: Photographed and Filmed by Masanao Abe
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)