Start by marking “Snowsisters” as Want to Read:
Snowsisters

Snowsisters

High school students—Soph, who attends private school in Manhattan, and Tess, a public school student who lives on a dairy farm in New Hampshire—are thrown together as roommates at a week-long writing conference. As they get to know each other and the other young women, both Soph and Tess discover unexpected truths and about friendship, their craft, and how to hold fast to ...more
Published February 15th 2018 by Duet

To ask other readers questions about Snowsisters, please sign up.

Start your review of Snowsisters
Jackie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs, trash
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED.

Welp, this was garbage.

TW: transphobia (!!!), including misgendering of characters, bullying, child abuse, homophobia

This book is about two girls who are polar opposites—Soph is from a wealthy, upper-class family living in Manhattan and Tess lives the rural life on a dairy farm run by her family. Both of them end up being roommates at a week-long conference for female writers.

The few positive things about this book are as follows:

- it takes place at a writing conference fo
Natasha
I received an arc from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review

dnf @ 25%

I'm dnfing this because there's a trans character in this who was consistently misgendered by a side character and was not called out for it. I don't know if she's called out later but she did it twice and the character narrating had the chance to stop her and did nothing. The character misgendering her was also written as a super flat 'bitchy' character, who kept mocking Tess for writing fanfiction. That
Kell
Jan 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I was sent an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review, so I'm going to try to be as nice as I possibly can be. I DNF'd this at 3/4 of the way through it because I just couldn't take it anymore. Reading a trans character constantly misgendered and called a guy was just... too much.

It doesn't matter that the narrators were 'unreliable'. That doesn't need to be written. I feel as if it may have been at least a little better if the book were written in first person, but i
Biz
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Update 1/13/18
Unfortunately, I'm lowering my rating to two stars because after reading another review and rereading a few excerpts, I realize that the trans rep was handled even more poorly than I previously thought. :( Disappointing.

I did not make any changes to my original review.

Review trigger warning : transphobia mention (it’s tagged)

Actual Rating: 2.5

There’s good news and there’s bad news. The good news is that this book has, you heard me, gay. witches. The bad news is that they
Mimi
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-arc
On the surface, this book is about a week-long writing retreat for high school girls and follows two girls from different worlds (the upper society and the rural farm-life) and beneath that...actually, there's just that.

I'm struggling with finding something good to say about this book.
I do want to note that the authors/publisher even include in the beginning of the book that the two girls Tess and Soph are 'unreliable narrators' and still.. I don't feel like that's a good enough excuse for this
Michelle
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
(originally posted on The Writing Hufflepuff)

Disclaimer: I was given an ARC of this book by Netgalley and the publisher (thank you!) in return for an honest review

The biggest problem I had with this book is the way the trans character was written and treated.  Since I am cis I can't speak on behalf of the trans community, but I do want to share my concerns. I couldn't find any own voices reviews, but if you know of one or have written one please let me know so I can link to it!

Now, in the beginn
Whatthelog
Let’s start with the positive, shall we? I really liked how the book began with trigger warnings – I think that all books should start off like this, because it can be skipped by those who aren’t affected, and can be a huge benefit to those who are. So yay publishers!

The story follows two girls from two vastly different backgrounds. One a writer of fan fiction, and one a poet, and they have both been chosen to be on a writing conference for young women. Each chapter begins with a section from th
CR Daylex
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this one. I understood what the authors were trying to do, but I think the novel shows a fundamental lack awareness about where conversations between teens are at today. This is my opinion, and I live in London which I think is relevant to say because maybe America is different, but I think teen conversations have moved past this?

Most of my discussion is pretty spoilery: (view spoiler)
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

Honestly when I first heard about the book I was thrilled. It sounded really good, and when the blurb and the cover were posted I was hocked. It was so good looking and the blurb really enchanted me.
Then I saw some reviews from a few early readers and worried deeply about their critique and feared the book wouldn’t be “good”, in fact I worried I would DNF it.
But because I try always to be fair, I read book by myself
BadassCmd
This book does some things problematic, but also some things good.

The authors wrote about the differences between teenage girls who grew up in different places and made different experiences and have different world views, which is really great.
They also decided to work with the some heavy subjects like coming out vs staying closeted and transphobia.
I think the outcome of it is alright, but the path to it could have been written a tiny bit better and more comfortable, since it's still a YA boo
Teach Gleek
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, interlude-press
This is a must-read for all high schoolers everywhere.

Snowsisters is one of those books that sticks with you. The depiction of teenage girls at a youth writer’s retreat reminded me of an experience I had my freshman year, and sent me back to that awful, beautiful time of life when we were figuring ourselves out, and I had no fucking clue how to relate to the rest of the world.City girl Soph spends most of her inner life trying to figure out how to impress someone she doesn’t really even care ab
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel is beautifully and sensitively written. The characters are believable and likable and the relationships genuine and touching. Highly recommend.
Danielle
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh, do I have a bone to pick with this one...

I originally picked this up because I thought it'd be a light, enchanting book to read as part of my holiday-themed reading month. (You know, snow? Eh, eh? *nudgenudge) I went in thinking this would be a fluffy, happy book, but unfortunately it had the opposite effect because this book filled me with rage from beginning to end.

I'll admit, I didn't know a whole lot going into this book—only that it's about two girls who forge a friendship at a women's
Skye Kilaen
Feb 19, 2018 marked it as no-thank-you
I am seeing plenty of reviews that call out an incident of bi erasure and also terrible treatment of the trans character - while none of that may be author endorsed, it's not something I need to spend my entertainment time reading. ...more
Bethany
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
what a pleasant surprise. this was not at all what I expected. very well done Tom.
J. Peters
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of another story called 'Future Leaders of Nowhere' by Emily O'Beirne. Much like that story, this one involves an alternating narrative between two girls, who are going to a writing retreat. And like 'Future Leaders of Nowhere', what it means to be a leader in a group of people that are very different is a fundamental question that drives the meat of the story.

I liked the differences between Soph and Tess as characters. One is from New York, and the other from a more conser
Amie's Book Reviews
Tess is thrilled when she learns that her application to attend the Young Women's Writing Conference has been accepted. Tess's life on a dairy farm in a small town in New Hampshire is a far cry from the life led by fellow conference attendee Sophonia. Soph leads a life of privilege and luxury in New York City. In fact, her parents are some sort of exiled European royalty.

The two young women are almost complete opposites in every way. Tess is straight. Soph is gay. Tess writes anonymous Fan Fict
Charles
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, glbt
At first glance, this novel appears a simple coming of age story at a Young Women's Writing Conference in a fictional New Hampshire town. Despite the simple storyline, the novel goes beyond usual teenage angst and sexual orientation. A transgender girl increases the novel's complexity that makes landing on the moon look like setting off firecrackers.

I needed a few chapters to identify with the two main protagonists, Tess and Soph. I vacillated between whose points of view seemed more reliable—a
Tessa McNeice
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This one turned out to be something of a mixed bag for me?

The premise was what reeled me in, to be honest, as nothing makes me fall in love with writing all over again quite like hearing how others experience it too. Heck, it even centered around a concept that I lived for the few times I got to do it as a kid--a writing conference for high school students at a local college.

But, still, the farther I delved in, the more I kept finding some of the delivery lacking.

This is a bit of an old shoe at
Jenni Frencham
Wilinsky, Tom. Snowsisters. Duet, 2018.

Soph is a rich New Yorker. Tess is from a farm in New Hampshire. The teens room together at a writing conference and together learn more about each others' worlds.

TW: transphobia, homophobia, bullying, misgendering, etc.

Soph and Tess are rooming next to two other girls - Orly and Chris. Chris wants to be an investigative journalist, and when she discovers that Orly is transgender, she decides to investigate; i.e., she digs through Orly's things and spread
Billy Buttons
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: Snowsisters

Writing Style: 10/10
Content: 9/10
Cover: 9/10
Of the 28 readers:
28 would read another book by this author.
25 thought the cover was good or excellent.
28 felt it was easy to follow.
28 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
9 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a story’.
20 felt
Yuè
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book starts with a content warning: the characters in this book aren't always right, because they've been exposed to ignorance. Also, this book contains homophobia, transphobia, purposeful misgendering of a trans person, transphobic bullying and mentions to homophobic child abuse.

I have the feeling the people in the review section who keep yelling "THIS BOOK IS TRANSPHOBIC!!" might've completely overlooked that warning. I do have to admit that I might be biased, because I'm cisgender.

This b
Angela Epps
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I taught high school English, I rarely enjoyed the young adult fiction genre. I was, however, always on the lookout for books that might provide some "bibliotherapy." For me, that was any selection that helped teens examine their societal beliefs and gain insight into their own behaviors towards the end of becoming more grounded and purposeful in this complex society. BUT I REALLY ENJOYED Snow Sisters. Wilinsky and Sternick juxtaposed the cast of characters with a seamless touch--providing ...more
Sisi
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Cindy Stein
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, lesfic-ya
Soph, a wealthy teen from Manhattan, is accepted into a prestigious week-long writers' program for young women. She is hoping to impress the program's director and get accepted into the director's college writing program. Tess, whose family owns a dairy farm in NH, is also accepted, though she is much less confident in her writing and fears that the fan fiction she writes will be judged as not worthy.

The two are paired as roommates, and for most of the book, they have trouble understanding one a
Erin Quinn
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Laurie
May 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
When I was on page 77 I said "so far (page 76) it's very heavy-handed. Like it's written carefully, by committee, to inform the youthful reader. The characters feel like constructs rather than people, and they never have anything noteworthy to say. Sort of the opposite of a John Green book."
Now that I have finished it, I can say that it picks up a bit toward the end. Some of the characters acquire a patina of personality (I know that's oxymoronic). A little. It still feels like a Disney After-Sc
Andi
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: l-b-ya, kcpl
Follows meeting of two girls from very different backgrounds (rural NH and Manhattan), who are assigned as roommates at writer's retreat for high school girls. Even with some very heavy topics (see below), this is a nice story about finding - a deeper version of - yourself, finding your voice and maybe even finding love.

Contains important discussions of inclusion and diversity - in life and in feminism, particularly on the issues of class, sexual orientation and gender identity.

Some of it is a
Lori Berhon
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This terrific new YA is set at a writer’s conference for young women. The girls hail from varied places and backgrounds; they are gay and straight, cis- and transgender; and they write everything from structured classical sonnets to blogs, from journalism to fan fiction. What they have in common is that they are all gifted writers and they are willing to work hard at honing their craft, something I find particularly refreshing in the age of Tweets and Blue Apron. While the heart of the book is t ...more
Alana
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: rainbow, jri, 2018-reads
This book tackles closeting, transphobia, and what it means to be LGBTQIA from different walks of life. It shows the hesitance of people to stand up for others when it means shining a spotlight on themselves. Though not the best book I've ever read, I felt the need to write this because I'm seeing a lot of hate in the reviews for portraying transphobia. I'm baffled as to why writing the real kind of harassment trans teens gets is somehow not okay? Should teen lit reflect queer utopias instead of ...more

• You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey: Crazy Stories about Racism
  • Juliet Takes a Breath
  • Go with the Flow
  • Concrete Rose (The Hate U Give, #0)
  • Drum Roll, Please
  • Dear Justyce (Dear Martin, #2)
  • No Mercy, Vol. 1
  • Stories I'd Tell in Bars
  • Punching the Air
  • Lost Soul, Be at Peace
  • And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • The Weight of the Stars
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • This Is Where It Ends
  • Written in the Stars
  • Underdog (Wolfe Brothers, #1)
  • Killing the Dead
  • The Last Act of Love
We're Tom and Jen. We met in high school and started a conversation which, years later, is ongoing.

About Tom: Tom lives in New York with his partner and the world's most beloved orange tabby cat, Newky. He likes cold weather, anything with zombies in it and old cars. Never has he ever…been picked first for a team in Phys. Ed… used a selfie-stick… gotten Jen to watch an episode of South Park....

Ab