Start by marking “10 Little Rubber Ducks” as Want to Read:
10 Little Rubber Ducks

10 Little Rubber Ducks

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  4,029 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Traditional Chinese edition of 10 Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle - a Laura Ingalls Wilder Award winner. The rubber ducks were sent to the ocean by a storm. One lost his way and was adopted by a mother duck. Can he squeak like other ducks? Distributed by Tsai Fong Books, Inc.
Published February 7th 2005 (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 10 Little Rubber Ducks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Little Rubber Ducks

Mandy
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cute book with great illustrations for kids! I love ducks so I'm a sucker for a book with them in it :)
Katelyn
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
1. Counting

2. 10 rubber ducks are made and shipped out to be sold, but their box fell off of the cargo ship. One by one they float to new destinations.

3. A - The illustrations are sweet. Eric Carle’s style is somewhat recognizable to children, which can be comforting. The story line is decent, I think this is better for younger children who are just starting to learn their numbers.

B- The strengths were based on number representation, and the repetition of certain lines. This can be positive
Carrie Adair
In this counting book, ten little rubber ducks fall out of their box into the ocean. Each travels and sees other animals. The last rubber duck is adopted by a mother duck. The duck squeaks with a push of a button.

It's a sweet little book illustrated by collage. I like the plot and the illustrations.
Laura Gibbs
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is really kind of cool simply because it is based on a true story, taken from a 1992 newspaper. The basic story line is that 10 little rubber ducks are painted, put into cargo boxes and loaded onto a cargo ship, and are floating in the ocean on the ship until a storm hits. Once the storm hits, they are knocked into the sea and the ocean waves begin to scatter them all over the place. This book teaches counting; as it counts each duck, it tells of its encounter. For example: the first d ...more
Chris Young
A shipment of rubber ducks falls into the middle of the ocean. The ten ducks drift their separate ways and encounter various animals found in and around oceans around the world. This might have been charming had I not just read Tracking Trash, which describes the true story of the lost shipment of tub toys that Carle's book is based on. I kept picturing the various animals swallowing the toy ducks and dying from impaction. Maybe kids will find the story to be cute, but I wasn't impressed.
Gail Westover
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
I wasn't crazy about this one and neither were my grandkids. The illustrations were bright and colorful, but there were a lot that were just plain boring. Some of the animals were huge and scary, especially the octopus. A few of my kids were afraid they were going to eat the ducks. Some of the text was strange. He repeated the last 4 or 5 words at the end of the sentence. Why?

Anyway, not my favorite Eric Carle book.
Karen Dransfield
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, picture-book
This story was inspired by a real event where there was a storm and 28,800 bath toys were lost at sea when a container load fell overboard and all the people who have been looking for them since this happened. Oceanographers have been following their paths to study currents etc. Beautiful artwork by Eric Carle.
Meryem.
read it to my little brother and he loved it!
Fritz Loehrke
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good story and pictures, but a bit scary!
Kelly Van Pelt
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eric-carle, counting
I have read this book many times and it doesn't get old. I even made 10 rubber ducks on sticks to use as props!
Bookishrealm
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay the only thing I'm going to say is that as a 24 year old adult I was completed amused by this book. I mean it made sounds.
Katie Easter
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Grade Level: preK-Kindergarten

This wonderfully illustrated book by Eric Carle is so cute! I love the idea of the entire story beginning to end. I also really like how it focuses on directions. The book would be a great tool when teaching students up and down, left and right, and north, south east, and west. This is perfect book for preK and even Kindergarten.

Kelly
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strictly from a child's perspective, this is an amazing book! Colorful, an opportunity to count, some relation to direction...it has so much.

Ten little rubber ducks accidentally get thrown overboard from a shipping boat. This is the story of their journey.
Ashley Frickson
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
10 little rubber ducks fall from a cargo ship carrying them across the sea. They all float in different directions and have different encounters with animals.
James
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brandy T
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super Cute little book.
Mely
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
How can you not love Eric Carle books? A cute interactive book we use with our own rubber duckies. The squeaky rubber duck at the end is just too adorable.
Bryan Wanlass
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
love the sound at the end
Samantha
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
The squeaker still worked on my library copy. I don't know who was more surprised--me or the patrons.
Nathan
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute! I appreciated that the author explained where this story came from.
Christine
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just purchased a copy of this book recently for my 3 year old grandson. He is huge fan of Eric Carle. He also loves ducks. This book fast became one of his favourites. It is beautifully illustrated as is the case with all Eric Carle books. It's simple story makes it an easy read for little ones. My grandson loves to count the ducks and enjoy making the duck quack. We will usually have to read it four or five times before we can move on to another book.
Alissa Parker
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Title: Then Little Rubber Ducks
Author: Eric Carle
Genre: Counting book
Theme(s): Numbers, animals
Opening line/sentence: Chuckedy-chuckedy-chuck goes the rubber duck machine.
Brief Book Summary: Carle’s story follows ten little rubber ducks from the factory, to the ship, to where they end up after they fall overboard. The ducks drift apart and end up with different animals around the world.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Carolyn Phelan (Booklist, May 1, 2005 (Vol. 101, No. 17))
A ship loaded
Notes
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
**This review is written in Indonesian.**

Kalau Anda mengira buku ini sama dengan buku anak lainnya tentang menghitung, Anda salah besar. Bukan Eric Carle kalau tidak menyelipkan banyak pelajaran ke dalam suatu karangannya. Selain menghitung 1 sampai 10 (pertama-kesepuluh), buku terbitan tahun 2005 ini juga memuat kronologi, arah, nama dan gerak-gerik binatang laut, dan pesan tentang kebersamaan dalam 30 halaman isinya

Kronologi, yakni mulai dari pembuatan bebek karet, pengepakan, pengiriman denga
Holly
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
10 Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle (2005)
Counting book
Awards: Author and illustrator, Eric Carle, has received numerous awards over his long career, including the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award in 2003 for his body of work.

Target audience: ages 2-7

Inspired by a real life incident where thousands of bath toys were accidentally dumped into the ocean, 10 Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle is about ten rubber ducks who are released into the ocean and go in various directions, meeting different animals
Alexis Espinosa
10 little Rubber Ducks is about 10 ducks who get lost at sea after a storm and each go on their own adventure. The ducks were found all over the world. The reading level of this book is grades kindergarten to second grade and the theme is adventure.

Comments/observations: I love Eric Carle so my emotional readers response consisted of loving the illustrations and story. I also learned that this book is based on a real story when a bunch of ducks who fell off a ship were found washed up on shore.
Ashleigh
Fun and often familiar book for children during hatching unit. It also helps to connect science with math when this book is used to kick off counting activities. Great for preK and K

Ahoy! Here We Go
Around the World
with 10 Little Rubber Ducks

"Ducks overboard!" shouts the captain, as a giant wave washes a box of 10 little rubber ducks off his cargo ship and into the sea. The 10 little rubber ducks are swept away in various directions. One drifts west, where a friendly dolphin jumps over it. A wh
Stephany Hensley
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
10 Little Rubber Ducks was a great story with fantastic art as well. In the beginning it is factory workers packaging rubber ducks. On the way shipping them at sea they fall overboard. The ducks all then start floating in all direction. One floats to the North and finds a polar bear, one floats to the west and finds a dolphin, one floats to the east and finds a seal and the other floats south and finds a flamingo. I thought this book was awesome on the creativity, having the ducks all seperate a ...more
Karen
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful for so many reasons. First, it's about rubber ducks. Second, it by Eric Carle. Third, it's a counting book. Fourth, it's an ocean book. Fifth, it's a book about traveling. Sixth, it's a book about adoption. And finally, it's a rubber duck book by Eric Carle. It's hard to imagine anything better than that, except, maybe that this book was part of the Kohl's Cares Book.

My son received this book for Easter. He didn't get past the title page with the numbered ducks; he was pre
Randi Goodnight
10 Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle is about ten rubber ducks that get lost at sea. Each little duck goes his own way and ends up on his very own adventure. A mother duck and her ducklings even adopted one little rubber duck. The illustrations in this book are very cute, and appeal to little kids. I enjoyed this book because it teaches counting while still engaging children in the story. The story of the ten little rubber ducks is creative and keeps kids engaged in the story. I would use this b ...more
Vanessa Maeda
Main Characters: Rubber Ducks and other animals
POV: 3rd person
Setting: Packaging Facility and the Sea

Summary:
This board book by Eric Carle is great for young ones. The story is about ten rubber ducks that were packaged in a box and carried overseas. However, during their travel a storm hits and the crate with the ten rubber ducks is swept off the boat. The little rubber ducks floated all the over the world on their own journey of exploration. Each duck encounters a different animal from the sea.
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • Ten Little Caterpillars
  • Ten Little Fish
  • We All Went on Safari
  • Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones
  • Click, Clack, Splish, Splash: A Counting Adventure
  • A Good Day
  • Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • Maisy Goes to the Library
  • Higher! Higher!
  • Who Hops?
  • Sylvie
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle...