Start by marking “What I Like About Me” as Want to Read:
What I Like About Me

What I Like About Me

You know all those movies where teenagers have, like, THE SUMMER OF THEIR LIVES?

This summer is probably not going to be that.

Source: Everything that's happened since yesterday ...

The last thing sixteen-year-old Maisie Martin thought she'd be doing this summer is entering a beauty pageant.

Not when she's spent most of her life hiding her body from everyone.

Not when her/>Source:/>This
Published February 26th 2019 by Pan Australia

To ask other readers questions about What I Like About Me, please sign up.
Mary H Update: What I Like About Me WILL be published in the US by Peachtree Publishing! Pub date is April 1, 2020!

Start your review of What I Like About Me
Chloe
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019-reads
3.5 stars*
C.G. Drews
this was a super cute one about body positivity, beauty pageants, and the lazy shenanigans that happen in an Aussie summer. Like I am here for the Aussie-vibes. It was really fluffy/predictable but I acknowledge that I'm getting old and I've read a lot lolol so I can definitely see 12yo+ kids loving this.

RTC
ALPHAreader
I mean - obvs.

I represent Jenna as literary agent and I am VERY much in love with Maisie and her story. I've read it about 20 times, and I love it more and more each time!

I said this on Twitter, but it's worth repeating, that: what struck me about it upon re-read is how great the incidental diversity is within. Particularly: a young character who has a troubled home life, but that’s not the focus of their story.

In case you didn’t know: #LoveOzYA tends to have a problem of defaultin
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
17th March 2019.
The day I fell in love with Maisie Martin.

Good day to you Discovery Journal.

Unlike Maisie Martin, I am writing this journal entry entirely of my own free will. Maisie on the other hand is being forced under extreme parental duress to write in her school appointed, fire breathing teacher approved journal each day. That's what happens when your mother is also a teacher, you can never escape school.

Now I'm sure Maisie will tell you that even though her
Amanda
INTL BOOK GIVEAWAY + REVIEW

What I Like About Me is Jenna Guillaume's debut #LoveOzYA release! Jenna is one of my best friends and I am so excited, happy, and proud to see her novel published!

Maisie Martin and her family spend each summer in Cobbers Bay with another family, including a boy named Sebastian Lee. Maisie and Sebastian have always been close, enjoying a fun friendship, but one year Maisie developed a crush on Seb and their interactions became awkward. It didn't help that Seb's/>What
Taneika
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it

Initially, I wasn’t sure what to really expect going into this book as the only thing I really knew was that it had a body-positive message. This is a fluffy, fun, summer read set in Australia and follows Maisie’s summer holiday with her best friend, family and her years-long crush. While the main focus of this book is body image because Maisie is fat, the way it is explored is done in a really great way and we see Maisie make new friends, figure things out and she even ends
Adele
Dec 03, 2018 added it
Shelves: ya, 2018
It doesn't happen often. That contemporary playfulness and romance (so common in US contemporary) combined with a distinctly Australian sensibility but What I Like About Me but it did. And I really, really enjoyed it.

And as a plus-size girl, I respected Guillaume's exploration of judgement - directed inwardly, from friends, family and strangers. And the fat girl got a lovely person. LOVE.

The voice is definitely in my wheelhouse. I loved the humorous throwaways and the introspection
Maria Lewis
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m sure I’m not the first person to say this, but I really wish I’d had this book at as a teenager. Body positive YA literature just didn’t exist then and I can’t help but imagine how integral What I Like About Me is going to be for a whole generation of Aussie teens who feel ‘other’ but will realise they’re a) not alone and b) completely normal and/or extraordinary.
Mirelle
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advanced reading copy of this book, and HOLY MOLY it was so good I’ll definitely be buying a finished copy come March 2019!

This is EXACTLY the kind of YA I longed for when I was a teen and experiencing the inevitable self-loathing of not having a super skinny bod. This is such a wonderfully funny, feel-good, body positive book that will make you laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time.

There are so many relatable scenes (shopping for swimwear) and observat
Hayley
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS JUST SO DELIGHTFUL AND REAL AND CUTE AND WONDERFUL.

So perfectly Australian and cute and filled with self love and body positivity and everything wonderful and just the sweetest book.

Yes, I will reread this very soon.

Also, can there be a sequel and can I please know what Beamer’s name is?
Diem
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the absolute privilege of beta-reading WHAT I LIKE ABOUT ME.

I read it the first time in between two very important uni assessments and I honestly didn't care if I would fail. I just had to keep reading and know more about Maisie. I was so invested in her!

The second time I read it I had to lie down on the ground when I was done. I was overcome by how absolutely brilliant and perfect this book was.

I can't wait to read it the third time in its finished copy.
Megan Maurice
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book, I felt quite uneasy and I couldn’t put my finger on exactly why. After a while I realised it was because the author had so perfectly captured the tone of an awkward teenage girl writing in her journal that I felt like I was reading one of my own teenage journals back and feeling embarrassed for myself! This is such a beautiful story that starts out as a lovely, light hearted teenage romp and moves deeper to explore so many issues and really makes you think ...more
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Sweet, funny, smile-until-your-cheeks-hurt cute contemporary Australian YA. All about Summer romance, sisterhood, family, friendships, and body image.

Though I haven't read Dumplin' (only watched the movie) I think this book will probably be heavily compared to it because of the fat teen protagonist and the beauty pageant side plot.

But I think there is enough in this book to stand alone as a great representation of what Summer is like for Aussie teens. It delves into lots of relevant social con
Brooklyn Tayla
Review copy provided by Pan Macmillan Australia in exchange for an honest review, all thoughts are my own.
I had long been looking forward to this one, I always enjoy a feel good story, and I loved how honest and raw this one came across as – and the fact that it was written in diary entries made me feel all the more connected to Maisie.
She’s a wonderful character, truly – I feel so proud of her for how far she’s come from the start of her entries) firstly being not at all happy about
Jaclyn Crupi
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pure. Joy.
Sarah Anne Ross (farfromsarah)
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loveozya
So cute it deserves its own Netflix movie
Sofia Casanova
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seriously going to be my favourite YA contemporary of 2019. Review to come.
Caitlin
Teenage-Me would have loved this. Almost-Thirty-Me DID love this. Aussie summer vibes, seaside towns, awkward crushes and juggling friends and family—it’s all there. The body positivity was fantastic. I could take a leaf out of Maisie’s book on that!
K.
Trigger warnings: fat shaming, body shaming, lying.

This was one of my most anticipated books of the year, and I absolutely flew through it and loved every single second of it. Was it a little predictable? For sure, but I gave zero fucks because it was so stinking cute.

I loved Maisie as a character. Hell, I loved ALL the characters. I loved how much movies played a role in the story, how much learning to love yourself and be comfortable in your own skin played a role in the story. Be
Nusrat Mahmood
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 ★

I don't tend to look for the background of the writer before choosing a book so I didn’t know it is an aussie ya. Being at the edge of late 20, I kept my expectations very low while reading YA because my taste changed over the time and mind craves for mature contents still I often find myself craving for light read. I took this book as the cover seemed to be very bright and the synopsis gave a hint of fluffy light read. But the book amazed me big time.

Maisie is a sixteen years
Steph
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is so charming and delightful I read the entire thing in one night and cried at the end.
Indy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and uplifting rom com of a novel that is sure to join the ranks of Dumplin’ and the Upside of Unrequited.

I loved this from start to finish and Maisie is a beautiful, funny and charming voice.
Libby Armstrong
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a gem. This novel is one of the most realistic contemporary works of late, capturing and exploring female friendships, family dynamics and self esteem. Maisie could be right there in your friendship group now. Well written, well paced, bursting with humour and kissing!
Manda (The Glittery Nerd)
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2019, popsugar-2019
Originally Posted at The Glittery Nerd

Even though I am well past the age of sixteen i related so much to Maisie’s story. I adored this book. This is the book that I had when i was sixteen! This is a great body positive book that had me laughing and tearing up throughout. Even as a 34-year-old woman, this book was thought-provoking and some of the quotes spoke to me. Particularly the quote from Bess on page 220:

“You don’t think Eva is brave for going to the beach in a bikini do you?/>
Simone
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat Mullen
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would be friends with Maisie, but she thinks tomato sauce belongs in the fridge. Uh huh, it belongs in the cupboard. That debate has irrevocably damaged friendships in the past.

This book was the perfect Aussie Rom Com. All the good parts of an Aussie Summer were represented (cause we live those unsleepable hot nights, crazy sunburns, and bugs showing up everywhere in your house, so we don’t wanna read about them).

There were so many little things that made me go ‘Yes, re
Amanda
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Want to read "Dumplin'" but set on the beach in Australia? Here's your chance! This was super cute, fluffy, totally predictable, but also totally worth it for the kickass positive body messages alone. Masie is the kind of character I would have wanted to read about when I was a fat teenager, someone who is trying to find herself in a world that doesn't want her to be in the spotlight. She finds happiness and a cute romance, and definitely gets her happy ending.

Some quotes I love: ...more
Pauline
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it

It is really refreshing to read an Australian YA full of humour, wit and the feel of summer. Sixteen year old Maisie Martin is our narrator and she pours out all her hopes, dreams and embarrassing experiences onto the page. Of course, as this is written in diary/journal format we are only exposed to Maisie’s take on everything that happens and we rely on her to accurately record what is happening. Maisie has an uncanny ability to find herself in the most awkward and embarras
Maddy Estherby
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome.
rachel ☾
i was here for the aussieness and fat rep, but it just wasn’t for me

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram

• Sick Bay
  • Hive (Hive #1)
  • The Boy Who Steals Houses
  • I Am Out with Lanterns
Jenna Guillaume is an author and freelance writer based in Sydney.

She was previously editor-at-large for BuzzFeed Australia, where she wrote about very important things like pop culture, identity, feminism, social media, and Chris Hemsworth’s biceps.

Before that, she worked in the features department of Girlfriend magazine, editing the sealed section (yes, all those questions are real), and writing about e