Start by marking “What I Like About Me” as Want to Read:
What I Like About Me

What I Like About Me

You know all those movies where teenagers have, like, THE SUMMER OF THEIR LIVES?

This summer is probably not going to be that.

Source: Everything that's happened since yesterday ...

The last thing sixteen-year-old Maisie Martin thought she'd be doing this summer is entering a beauty pageant.

Not when she's spent most of her life hiding her body from everyone.

Not when her Dad
Published February 26th 2019 by Pan Australia

To ask other readers questions about What I Like About Me, please sign up.
Mary Update: What I Like About Me WILL be published in the US by Peachtree Publishing! Pub date is April 1, 2020!

Start your review of What I Like About Me
C.G. Drews
this was a super cute one about body positivity, beauty pageants, and the lazy shenanigans that happen in an Aussie summer. Like I am here for the Aussie-vibes. It was really fluffy/predictable but I acknowledge that I'm getting old and I've read a lot lolol so I can definitely see 12yo+ kids loving this.

RTC
Chloe
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, arc
3.5 stars*
Monica
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Exceptional! What I Like About Me is a quick YA read about family and positive body image. I would definitely recommend this book for readers 13+ due to some language. It's the kind of book I wish had been around when I was an insecure young teen.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Peachtree Publishing for the advanced reader's copy in exchange for my honest review.
Claude's Bookzone
2.5 Stars rounded up to 3

Well I ended up enjoying this body positive YA novel about friendships, first love and being happy with who you are.

I am glad I persevered as it was touch and go in the first few chapters as I didn't think I was going to like the main character. However, as I got to know her and could relate to all her insecurities and poor self image I warmed to her. There's probably a bit too much teen drama and it's quite predictable so go in with the right expectations.

ALPHAreader
I mean - obvs.

I represent Jenna as literary agent and I am VERY much in love with Maisie and her story. I've read it about 20 times, and I love it more and more each time!

I said this on Twitter, but it's worth repeating, that: what struck me about it upon re-read is how great the incidental diversity is within. Particularly: a young character who has a troubled home life, but that’s not the focus of their story.

In case you didn’t know: #LoveOzYA tends to have a problem of defaulting to a comfo
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
17th March 2019.
The day I fell in love with Maisie Martin.

Good day to you Discovery Journal.

Unlike Maisie Martin, I am writing this journal entry entirely of my own free will. Maisie on the other hand is being forced under extreme parental duress to write in her school appointed, fire breathing teacher approved journal each day. That's what happens when your mother is also a teacher, you can never escape school.

Now I'm sure Maisie will tell you that even though her father is staying in the city
Neeks
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it

Initially, I wasn’t sure what to really expect going into this book as the only thing I really knew was that it had a body-positive message. This is a fluffy, fun, summer read set in Australia and follows Maisie’s summer holiday with her best friend, family and her years-long crush. While the main focus of this book is body image because Maisie is fat, the way it is explored is done in a really great way and we see Maisie make new friends, figure things out and she even ends up entering
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Maisie Martin never thought she'd enter a beauty pageant. Everything this summer is going to shit—from her dad staying home while she and her mom head to the beach to her best friend hooking up with the boy Maisie's loved her entire life to annoying as fuck Beamer to her sister being horrible and amazing to her having to write everything down in a stupid journal all summer. But now she's in a beauty pageant, and somehow she's going to have to rock a swimsuit.

I am SCREAMING! It's basically Austra
Adele
Dec 03, 2018 added it
Shelves: ya, 2018
It doesn't happen often. That contemporary playfulness and romance (so common in US contemporary) combined with a distinctly Australian sensibility but What I Like About Me but it did. And I really, really enjoyed it.

And as a plus-size girl, I respected Guillaume's exploration of judgement - directed inwardly, from friends, family and strangers. And the fat girl got a lovely person. LOVE.

The voice is definitely in my wheelhouse. I loved the humorous throwaways and the introspection verging on s
Maria Lewis
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m sure I’m not the first person to say this, but I really wish I’d had this book at as a teenager. Body positive YA literature just didn’t exist then and I can’t help but imagine how integral What I Like About Me is going to be for a whole generation of Aussie teens who feel ‘other’ but will realise they’re a) not alone and b) completely normal and/or extraordinary.
Michael Araujo
*This review was originally posted on TheFandom.net*

What I Like About Me by Jenna Guillaume delivers a quick read that strikes a spark about self-image, but unfortunately doesn’t produce flame.

Maisie Martin is spending her summer vacation just like every other year; at a camping ground with her family and friends. But this year, things seem to be a bit different. Her dad is MIA, her typically distant sister is back with a few surprises, and her best friend tags along. Things seem like they’ll be
Mirelle
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advanced reading copy of this book, and HOLY MOLY it was so good I’ll definitely be buying a finished copy come March 2019!

This is EXACTLY the kind of YA I longed for when I was a teen and experiencing the inevitable self-loathing of not having a super skinny bod. This is such a wonderfully funny, feel-good, body positive book that will make you laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time.

There are so many relatable scenes (shopping for swimwear) and observations (the hate of peelin
rachel ☾
i was here for the aussieness and fat rep, but it just wasn’t for me

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
K.
Trigger warnings: fat shaming, body shaming, lying.

30/8/2020
Rereading this was a fantastic idea. I laughed, I cried, I loved every second of it. Also, Beamer and his hankies made me want to reread Looking for Alibrandi because it's a very Jacob Coote thing to do.

26/2/2019
This was one of my most anticipated books of the year, and I absolutely flew through it and loved every single second of it. Was it a little predictable? For sure, but I gave zero fucks because it was so stinking cute.

I loved
sally ✿
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I think middle-school-adolescent me would have enjoyed this book very much.

No-longer-a-teenager-but-far-from-an-adult me thought it was cute and humorous, but also a very predictable young adult romance novel. Regardless, What I Like About Me truly is a lovely book about body positivity, the ups and downs of friendship, family, and being comfortable with who you are.

Also, I cried. But you all know by now how much of an emotional mess I am when it comes to family moments.

I have never read a book
Hayley
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS JUST SO DELIGHTFUL AND REAL AND CUTE AND WONDERFUL.

So perfectly Australian and cute and filled with self love and body positivity and everything wonderful and just the sweetest book.

Yes, I will reread this very soon.

Also, can there be a sequel and can I please know what Beamer’s name is?
Caitlin
Teenage-Me would have loved this. Almost-Thirty-Me DID love this. Aussie summer vibes, seaside towns, awkward crushes and juggling friends and family—it’s all there. The body positivity was fantastic. I could take a leaf out of Maisie’s book on that!
Megan Maurice
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book, I felt quite uneasy and I couldn’t put my finger on exactly why. After a while I realised it was because the author had so perfectly captured the tone of an awkward teenage girl writing in her journal that I felt like I was reading one of my own teenage journals back and feeling embarrassed for myself! This is such a beautiful story that starts out as a lovely, light hearted teenage romp and moves deeper to explore so many issues and really makes you think ...more
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Sweet, funny, smile-until-your-cheeks-hurt cute contemporary Australian YA. All about Summer romance, sisterhood, family, friendships, and body image.

Though I haven't read Dumplin' (only watched the movie) I think this book will probably be heavily compared to it because of the fat teen protagonist and the beauty pageant side plot.

But I think there is enough in this book to stand alone as a great representation of what Summer is like for Aussie teens. It delves into lots of relevant social con
Jaclyn
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pure. Joy.
Brooklyn Tayla
Review copy provided by Pan Macmillan Australia in exchange for an honest review, all thoughts are my own.
I had long been looking forward to this one, I always enjoy a feel good story, and I loved how honest and raw this one came across as – and the fact that it was written in diary entries made me feel all the more connected to Maisie.
She’s a wonderful character, truly – I feel so proud of her for how far she’s come from the start of her entries) firstly being not at all happy about having to d
Ali
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YO! This book was such a pleasant surprise! I was not expecting to love this as much as I did. Set in Australia and told through diary entries (which I thought I would hate, but actually ended up loving) we get to know 16-year-old Maisie Martin. This book is all about her unforgettable, "not like the movies" summer vacation where she learns about what love, bravery, true friendship, family, and guts really are.

This book had me hooked from the very beginning and is a quick read! I read it in a da
Sarah Anne Ross (farfromsarah)
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loveozya
So cute it deserves its own Netflix movie
Sofia Casanova
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seriously going to be my favourite YA contemporary of 2019. Review to come.
Nusrat Mahmood
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 ★

I don't tend to look for the background of the writer before choosing a book so I didn’t know it is an aussie ya. Being at the edge of late 20, I kept my expectations very low while reading YA because my taste changed over the time and mind craves for mature contents still I often find myself craving for light read. I took this book as the cover seemed to be very bright and the synopsis gave a hint of fluffy light read. But the book amazed me big time.

Maisie is a sixteen years old who has
Stephanie
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is so charming and delightful I read the entire thing in one night and cried at the end.
Lainy122
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh boy. Here's the thing, I never cared about the 'so-and-so has a crush on so-and-so but omg her friend said WHAT, I can't believe she even, yeah I totally heard that GASP' etc etc even when I was in high school, and it is SO much harder to care about it now. So I knew going in that I probably wasn't going to love this one.

That aside, I think I still wouldn't have minded this book too much if it hadn't been for one of the most problematic tropes that I really had hoped we'd seen the last of yea
Indy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and uplifting rom com of a novel that is sure to join the ranks of Dumplin’ and the Upside of Unrequited.

I loved this from start to finish and Maisie is a beautiful, funny and charming voice.
Nice first person narrative of a Australian Summer vacation (in other words over Xmas break), and what happened with a crush, and a competitive sisters, and fighting parents.

Masie has to keep a journal, while she is on break, and although she resists it at first, as life continues to throw things at her, she confides more and more in it.

Her best friend just had a break-up.

Her crush since childhood seems more interested in her best friend.

And she meets a girl who sees the beauty in her, and encou
Libby Armstrong
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a gem. This novel is one of the most realistic contemporary works of late, capturing and exploring female friendships, family dynamics and self esteem. Maisie could be right there in your friendship group now. Well written, well paced, bursting with humour and kissing!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Books for Change: August 2021 BOTM: What I Like About Me 1 8 Aug 07, 2021 04:16AM

• Making Friends with Alice Dyson
  • The Secret Science of Magic
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Monuments
  • Please Don't Hug Me
  • Willa and the Whale
  • As Happy as Here
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • Peta Lyre’s Rating Normal
  • Love Lie Repeat
  • Aven Green Baking Machine
  • When Rain Turns to Snow
  • The Monster of Her Age
Jenna Guillaume is a journalist and the author of young adult rom-coms What I Like About Me and You Were Made for Me, as well as the novella The Deep End.

Formerly features editor of Girlfriend magazine and editor-at-large for BuzzFeed Australia, Jenna now writes for publications such as BuzzFeed, Junkee, Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, and MTV News about very important things like pop culture, i