Start by marking “Different, Not Damaged” as Want to Read:

Different, Not Damaged

Some call them disabilities, but for others they are gifts:

- A voiceless child painting visions of death.
- A killer with a deadly message plagued by a burden of guilt.
- A priestess divinely empowered to absorb others' pain.
- A soldier fighting for courage in the face of fear.
- A broken warrior-priest on a mission of vengeance.
- A thief desperate to escape the burden o
Published October 27th 2017 by The Fantasy Fiends Publishing Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Different, Not Damaged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Different, Not Damaged

Start your review of Different, Not Damaged
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Hands down one of the best books I have ever read!

5 badass stars for Strength and Courage!

This is my first book by Andy Peloquin and it will definitely NOT be my last.
It was recommended to me in the Indie Fantasy Addicts FB group, during my search for broken hero books and now I regret not knowing about it sooner. Because it was exceptional!

Why exactly you are asking?
I really don't know if I'll be able to properly explain.

But I'll give it my best shot so, let's get started

SUZAN C.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Different but not damaged. We all have some kind of weakness that make us who we are; whether we accept it and soldier on or not is entirely up to us. Different doesn't necessarily mean bad and in Andy Peloquin's anthology of stories, his characters show us exactly just that - the differences in his characters are what makes them who they are.

Set in the fantastical world of Voramis, Different, Not Damaged tells individual stories of characters who has some kind of crippling factor to them - eith
Rita
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is full of emotion. Some strong and dark, some just strong. But in all case's, each is deeply compelling.
I was given this book as a gift by the author. I am writing this review as my way of saying thank you.

Each story attempts to convey the thoughts and feelings of those who think differently. Showing how they see everything around them. The daily issues they face are depicted in these stories that are created in a fantasy world.

Each story has different origins but each has been wri
TE
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Different, Not Damaged is a series of six stories set in the fictional world of Voramis. They're about people trying to overcome, or at least come to terms with, the hardships of their lives. Some make great sacrifices. Others learn lessons along the way. The first four are more like vignettes and the last two are a little fuller, more like prequels. All were very moving and worth the read.

For those who want to know: This one has graphic violence and gore.
InD'tale Magazine
Andy Peloquin explores the experiences of people with psychological, mental and emotional disorders through the lens of dark fantasy — how they live, and how they are impacted by their disabilities.

Read full review in the 2018 February issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Wow!!!

Such a wonderful idea for a book! At first I honestly thought it was a strange idea. However, after starting it I realized that this is truly a great read. As someone with disabilities, THIS book just makes sense.

All of the stories focus on a different disability but puts the characters in a dark fantasy setting. Set in the fantasy world of Voramis, each of the main characters are tragic heroes with super abilities. Each of these characters' abilities go with the disability they hav
Sharon
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of dark fantasy
This set of short stories comes with an unusual premise: what if mental health issues, as we understand them today, came with a corresponding gift? I met the author at InDScribe in 2018, and was immediately intrigued by this concept.

Each story has a different plot, but all are set in author Andy Peloquin's fictional world of Voramis. Using dark fantasy, Peloquin gives us a different way to think about dementia, autism, empathy, and PTSD (among other things).

The characters are all well-drawn, thr
John Herres
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this collection of stories, Andy has come up with various tales set in his fictional Voramis, each dealing with a different type of disability.
I found all of the stories very engaging. Well worth a read.
I fully recommend it to any who have read his books concerning the Hunter of Voramis; indeed, even if you haven't.
Joanne
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I chose this book because a friend of mine thought it was really great. I have worked with people who have different abilities for many years. I looked forward to reading a book which would bring forth these people in a positive light. I would say that this book fulfilled my hope about 75% of the way or maybe less. Some stories do show people who are different in a positive light. In the positive stories, the people were shown to overcome life's challenges with dignity. Some of these stories dep ...more
Joanne
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this audio book because one of my friends who reviewed the book said it was great. This friend of mine has experience in the world of special needs people. Since I have been working with people who have various different challenges for over twenty years, I thought this book was worth looking at. I hoped to find a book which would contain stories where the people would be presented with their strengths in mind. I was partially disappointed.

I found that some of the people featured in
Stacy
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank You, Andy Peloquin!!!

What an awesome way to raise awareness!!! I love,love, LOVE your title!!! Could identify with these characters. Several people in my huge extended family suffer with these, including Asperger's. Many in past generations didn't reach out for help, due to the stigma mental differences are given. That desperately still needs our help still. It's slightly better, but no where near what is needed. I lost my teenage daughter to bi-polar in 1996. Found out there were still ma
amy
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Different, Not Broken is enlightening and thought provoking. Each story gives insight to the struggles someone can endure within themselves. My emotions were all over the place which is exactly what I look for in a great book. This book has shown me a new way to look at the "gifted" and a avenue to experience their pain. It's been a few days since I finished and I still have chills as I recall each story. As a bonus (for me), there is a story about the Hunter with some great foreshadowing for th ...more
Pauline Haney Hughes
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Different, Not Damaged

Several short stories by Andy Peloquin, all with ties to the Dark Blade series. You will catch glimpses into that series in these short stories.
These are dark fantasies but a good read. Andy Peloquin is a fantastic writer and takes you on a trip to the darker side of life, the underbelly of society while showing us the humanity that exists even in this dark world.
Judith A Johnson
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unsung heroes

The truly gifted; be it physically or mentally challenged. This is about all they are and can do. What they suffer and cope with. There are stories within each story. The author portrayed them with heart and a knowledge of who they are. His perspective is inspired. He made them heroes .
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Liked that all stories were based in the same world. All of them combined built a bigger picture, a bigger world. Got me highly interested in reading more of the world built. Also nice to see how twisty they were, they felt like decent stories by themselves. Too often shorts leave you feeling unfinished, some of these did but in a good way.
Janice E. Ryberg
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.8 stars for this anthology

Guess I didn't remember the prologue once I started reading. Guess that is normal for me to get absorbed right away and get sucked into the story. Once I came to, I realized there were other messages embedded. Looking forward to reading more from Andy Peloquin!
Lisa  Maughan
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt and thought provoking. Yes these stories are fantasy but people do struggle daily with these difficulties.
Anna Wick
Dec 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Recommended by LauraDragonChild in a review of Riders of fire by Mueller, Eileen
Hanneke
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Different, Not damaged -written by Andy Peloquin- is a collection of short stories that each try to convey the thoughts and emotions of a main character whom suffers from a disability. The stories take place in the grim and dark world of the Hunter and are emotional to read; but beautiful in their insight.
Tiffany Landers
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Different, Not Damaged by Andy Peloquin.

Where do I begin? Andy never ceases to amaze and impress me with the intricate worlds and characters he creates. If you haven’t read this author’s work, I implore you: pick up his work—any of it.

In Different, Not Damaged, Andy writes short stories of characters from some of his other books. These were not main characters in previous stories, yet they each played an important role, albeit for a short time, in the stories they were cast in.

This time, the cha
Edna Staples
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Andy Peloquin is different Author then most Authors. Different not damaged is perfect just the way it is.
Different not Damaged is based on having disorders such as, Autism, depression, PTSD and
Fibromyalgia. These dark fantasy stories will show that all because we are different we at not damaged.
This book is flows perfectly start to finish. The cover alone should pull a reader into this book.
As a reader I can relate to this book because my son has Autism and I suffer from depression. When
my dep
Casia Courtier
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Different, Not Damaged for an honest review. I was not compensated in any way for this review.

Aside from how wicked the cover is and the interesting title, I was grabbed the moment I saw this book is a fantasy look on different mental illnesses. Given the large percentage of people who have to deal with mental illness, it's interesting that there isn't as much a representation in the fantasy genre. I never realized that until now, to be honest.

This book is a series of short
Patricia
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is a collection of short stories that will make you think . The author has written this book about different types of disabilities and trust me when you read theses stories they will change the way you see these special people .
    The first story in the book is about a soldier dealing with his past and the battles he fought .  The ptsd of this soldier helps carry the story along . The second story is about a young artist who can't stand to be touched. This story actually broke my he
Maryann Sims
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book contains six separate stories all set in the world of Voramis. They also deal with mental problems, that do not take away from the story but add to in a very interesting way. The first story deals with a man and the horrors of his past with a battle that will not leave him alone. The second one is an artist, who can not stand to be touch, nor can he speak, but goes out of his way to help another, the third one is a woman that gives so much in order to help her child, that she ends up g ...more
Mark Absalom
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories based on real life people with medical conditions but set in a fantasy world which some link in with the Bucelarii series. It’s an interesting collection to read. One story features a character that paints glorious pictures but other people see them as black. They depict real life situations and are a foretelling of the future. Another features a character who lives in two time frames, he keeps backtracking, in his mind, to times of historic battles but is s ...more
Sheena
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating reading....

Set in the imagined world of Voramis this anthology of six stories focuses on characters who are required to address challenges that life has thrown at them either because or or inspite of some kind of difference in their physical abilities or mental wellbeing and in doing so undergo a journey of discovery and growing awareness...

It was fascinating reading the different perspectives and the different issues each character has to confront or overcome....from the scars of b
Darlene
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Different, Not Damaged by Andy Peloquin is a collection of short stories from his dark fantasy world of Voramis featuring disabled characters. Instead of being ignored, or just one-sided background pieces these are full characters staring in their stories. The main characters have a mix of physical and mental disabilities, both those born with or later developing their disability. Not only is this book entertaining and engaging it provides much needed representation, showing disabled people as f ...more
Stacy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that leaves you wanting more. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this unique book.

The author wrote several short stories and put disabilities in a whole new light…he put them in a fantasy setting. You could feel the characters feelings, emotions, and most of all... their struggles. You could feel how courageous and brave they all were. After reading through the stories…I ended up focusing on the characters not the disability portrayed.

Do I have a favorite story in this boo
Al Burke
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Some call them disabilities, but for others they are gifts"

Set in his world of Voramis, the author has created an anthology which delves into the lives of people with a range of disabilities. Rather than take the easy route, they are portrayed as tragic heroes, who must deal with the cruel world (and Voramis is a cruel world) and well as the rough hand life has thrown them. There are no happy endings here (well, not in the traditional sense), so don't read for a feelgood experience. However, if
Tina
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories about the different people that live in Mr. Peloquin's fantasy world. There are people of magic, pride and revenge in the town of Volamis.
The stories were well and the characters well thought out. The stories in themselves were very good but as a whole book, it kind of confused me. Are all of these people to meet someday? Are they all parts of another, bigger story? If I take it for what it is, it had very good stories. But if there is another bigger story
Different, Not Damaged Book Discussion 1 1 Dec 28, 2019 09:07AM

• Seeing the Light (Marie Jenner Mystery #1)
  • The Witch Is Inn (Beechwood Harbor Magic Mystery #10)
  • The Court of Mortals (Stariel, #3)
  • Edited Out (Mysterious Detective #2)
  • Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales, #1)
  • Paladin's Strength (The Saint of Steel, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • What Fresh Hell (The Gods are Bastards, #1)
  • The Wall
  • WORK FROM HOME WHILE YOU ROAM: The Ultimate Guide to Jobs That Can Be Done From Anywhere
  • How to Marry a Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)
  • A Case of Spirits (A Charm of Magpies, #2.5)
  • Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Battleborn Mage, #0)
I am, first and foremost, a storyteller and an artist--words are my palette. Fantasy is my genre of choice, and I love to explore the darker side of human nature through the filter of fantasy heroes, villains, and everything in between. I'm also a freelance writer, a book lover, and a guy who just loves to meet new people and spend hours talking about my fascination for the worlds I encounter in t ...more