Start by marking “Song Hereafter: 1153 in Hispania and the Isles of Albion (The Troubadours Quartet #4)” as Want to Read:

Song Hereafter: 1153 in Hispania and the Isles of Albion

(The Troubadours Quartet #4)

1153: Hispania and the Isles of Albion
Thrilling conclusion to an award-winning series. Global Ebooks Award for Best Historical Fiction. FINALIST in The Wishing Shelf and the Chaucer Awards. The Historical Novel Society Editor’s Choice.
Dragonetz and Estela: the troubadours.

They thought they knew each other but they didn’t even know themselves.

Dragonetz has failed Eleanor of
Published November 13th 2017 by The 13th Sign

Start your review of Song Hereafter: 1153 in Hispania and the Isles of Albion (The Troubadours Quartet #4)
Magdalena
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written with well-developed characters Song Hereafter is the final instalment in The Troubadours Quartet and it's just riveting. Jean Gill gave us a story of political intrigue and thrilling adventure interwoven with love story. Gill truly brings to life the twelfth century Europe, rich, vivid descriptions, cultural accuracy, it all makes for a great read.
I loved Dragonetz and Estela. Complex and interesting characters, I soon grew really fond of them and wanted the best for them bot
Sue Wallace
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Song hereafter by jean gill.
They thought they knew each other but they didn’t even know themselves.
Dragonetz has failed Eleanor of Aquitaine once. Now she plans to be Queen of England he could make amends. Although prepared to risk his own life on an impossible quest, a knight should protect his lady, or so say the troubadour songs. His lady, however, plays to a different tune and she wants partnership, not protection.
Very good read. Not what I'm used to reading. I liked the story. 4*. Tbc on rb
Deborah Swift
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jean Gill's Song Hereafter, the final book in the series about troubadours Dragonetz and Estela is a remarkable achievement. Every character, and that includes the horses, dogs and hawks, is bursting with vitality, and Gill's lush descriptions of Moorish palaces seduce you as they send you on journey full of treachery, adventure and romance.

At the heart of these books are the religious divisions that shaped that era, and so there are enemies aplenty, and real passions as each character crusades
Bewitchingly Paranoid
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mythological fictions always give me an adrenaline rush. Traveling back to those ancient times, understanding the way of living, it just makes me awestruck, if only I could create a time machine and go back to those time period, but alas! So, in the meantime, I can come back to the book. This was my ever first Jean Gill book and to be honest, I enjoyed it quite a lot. The way the author has written down the characters making them come alive is absolutely stunning. With them, you will actually fe ...more
Elizabeth Horton-Newton
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve eagerly awaited the fourth book in the Troubadours series, and it was well worth waiting for. Song Hereafter by award winning author Jean Gill continues the story of Dragonetz los Pros and Estela de Matin. Capturing the flavor of the twelfth century, politically and culturally, Gill leads the reader along the path of history.
Gill’s ability to breathe life into her characters is stunning. They are not one-dimensional characters; every one experiences life fully. Each moment is filled with d
Susans book review
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
what can I say I was hooked from the beginning of the book I couldn't put it down loved the story, had me joining in there journey of love and betrayal  even though I haven't read books1-3 I caught up with what was happening in the book  but I will be buying books 1 -3
I really did enjoy reading this one I was hooked from start to finish had me wondering whats going to happen next, I recommend this book to anyone who like reading historical fiction I gave this book a 4 star
Nola
Perfection

I looked forward to this publication knowing it was the last book in a wonderful series and then put off actually reading it. I so loved the characters that I couldn't bear for it to end. And then I realized that enough time had passed and I could start over with the first book to live it all again. I've never been so pleased with the final chapter in any series as this. The story is so engaging, one almost doesn’t realize the lessons in history, poetry, music and medicine are being ta
Deb McEwan
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m a big fan of Jean Gill’s books and have been waiting for the final installment of the Troubadours Quartet with delicious anticipation. It exceeded all my expectations and I loved it!
Before the story starts the author shows us authentic maps of the area from the 12th century, gives us a short background into Wales of 1153, and introduces us to the historical characters who appear in her series, followed by her main fictional characters. Dragonetz and Estela already felt like old friends - al
Leslie
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book - brava! Jean Gill's stories are so tightly woven into the tapestry of medieval France and England and the politics thereof that I simply marvel as I read them. Her complex plot lines and immersion in the atmosphere of the regions and the time are wonderful, and her use of Occitan lyrics throughout in her troubadors’ songs enhances the authentic flavor. As her characters travel farther afield, she draws the differences in the cultures of the time period so clearly that the peopl ...more
Claire Stibbe
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A blast of medieval air and irresistible storytelling you can’t put down. The fourth and final book in the Troubadours Series which continues with Dragonetz los Pros and Estela de Matin, two characters I have been rooting for since the very beginning. Without giving a précis of the book, I would rather give interested readers a ‘feel’ for what they are about to read.

Song Hereafter is brought to life in ways that only Jean Gill fans will appreciate. It’s easy to see why this author has won so man
Sunshine Somerville
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read a lot of historical fiction, but I love when a book such as this is packed with historical details that make the story that much richer. Whether it’s a description of a scenic landscape or an article of clothing, these tidbits put you in the time and place of a story. I found myself alternating between reading this book and Googling about this time period because I wanted to know more. This isn’t, for me at least, a setting I’ve seen much in books.
On top of all that, I loved the ca
Kristin Gleeson
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a moving and riveting conclusion to what has become one of my favorite historical series. Dragonetz and Estela have to face some of their greatest challenges, both personally and professionally. Estela's family rears its ugly head again and she is forced to confront what family means and accept the choices she has made while Dragonetz struggles with honor and loyalty in a way that he can't imagine that spins both Estela and Dragonetz in the middle of intrigue and danger. Throughout it al ...more
Michelle Ryles
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot begin to express how highly I rate the whole Troubadours series and as much as I was looking forward to this final instalment, I was also sad to think that this was the end of my journey with Estela and Dragonetz. I do love historical fiction but before starting this series, I hadn't read anything set in the 12th Century and whilst it has been a fascinating history lesson it has also been an emotional and exciting journey.

Eleanor of Aquitaine, who we first met in Song at Dawn, offers Dr
Billy Buttons
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A WISHING SHELF BOOK REVIEW
17th August, 2017
TITLE: Song Hereafter
AUTHOR: Jean Gill
Star Rating: *****

‘Evocative and thoroughly riveting. A vividly-written, historical saga.’ The Wishing Shelf

REVIEW
For the last week or so, I have been thoroughly immersed in Song Hereafter by Jean Gill. It is the last book in The Troubadours Quartet, an historical novel full of intrigue, mystery, romance and adventure. Let me begin by saying how gripping this story is. Not only is the plot packed full of twists an
Paul Trembling
Song Hereafter (Troubadours 4) by Jean Gill

A good historical novel gives you the opportunity to explore a distant and all but unknown world, not as a tourist, not as a scholar, but as a native – seeing and understanding and living in that world.

That’s what you get from Jean Gill’s ‘Troubadours’ series. With her characters Estela and Dragonetz we explore a tumultuous world of colour and danger, cruelty and beauty. A world where superstition and bigotry rub shoulders with brilliance and nobility.
Anita Kovacevic
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
All is well.

If I were able to write a brief book review, the line above would probably be the shortest ever but would cover everything.

After reading four books in this series, what I can definitely say, as a fan of this type of historical fiction and Jean Gill’s dedicated writing style, is that this is the perfect ending to a phenomenal series. And yes – all is well. The writing is excellent, the characters are strong, developed fully and with all facets and dimensions, the plot is strong and un
Katie
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Song Hereafter was the first book I've read by Jean Gill, I was assured it could be read as a standalone so despite never reading books out of order, I dove in. I really struggled in the first few chapters as to where I was and what was going on, I felt this was perhaps due to not knowing the characters but I soon got into the story.

I'm a huge fan of history books but I don't think I've ever read after from this time period, I loved it. It was a little confusing about the places but there are m
Sally Mcdonagh
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book grabs you from the beginning. Dragonetz and Estela are on a mission by the queen Eleanor, and are on their way to Wales where they gave to prove to the people that Eleanor’s husband is a worthy ally and he can become Henry II. . First they must prove themselves in a series of tests.
Even though it’s the last book (4) in the series and I hadn’t read 1-3 I didn’t feel left behind. There were times when I scratched my head when reading but there is such a wealth of information that y
Rose Lambert
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Finally read all four books. My thanks to the author. Really enjoyed each and every one. Would recommend for those wishing light but great reading to delve into these books!
Brian Wilkerson
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jean Gill asked me to read her novel, "Song Hereafter". It is the fourth book in her "The Troubadours" series and the fourth book of hers that I have reviewed. I wished I had a Hall of Fame on my blog because this is also the fourth book of hers that I find excellent. I will examine Plot, Character, and Polish, and then assign a grade.

PLOT

The overarching plot here is that of Dragonetz and Estela's relationship trouble; not with each other but with their situation. They are effectively a marri
MS White
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Song Hereafter by Jean Gill: a Review

Song Hereafter is the fourth in the author’s Troubadour Quartet, and whilst there is certainly room and reason for further novels, it does form a suitable finale to a series which has been full of character growth, rich detail and very well-thought-out plotting!
The pace is just right: there is a definite Beginning, wherein the broad plots are laid out, and developments from the previous novels continued; a Middle, full of movement, action and discovery both o
Janie Squier
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Most Worthy Finale

I hope you read the first three books, since this one is a supremely satisfying finish to enjoy. It's a Welsh feast to be sure.

When it comes to knives and accuracy Estela is without peer (except perhaps for Vertat,  the goshawk whose weapon is talons, and whose accuracy Ms. Gill displays with breathtaking speed, force and supremely controlled power - much like Estela's when throwing that knife!).

The author who created them both is no slouch herself in those departments.

Fro
Claire
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received Song Hereafer 1153 as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

Troubadours and lovers Dragonetz and Estela set out to assist Alienor (Eleanor), previous Queen of France and would-be Queen of England. Together, their party travels to the wilds of Wales to secure the cooperation of the Welsh for Henry, Eleanor's husband, encountering danger and adventure alike.

For me, not having read the previous novels, it took a while to get into the book and to figure out the various relationships and personalit
Melanie Melancon
Troubadour Quartet Series

For readers who enjoy historical fiction, this series checks all the boxes. It's a story of great love, great battles, and great treachery. Ms. Gill's writing brings the reader into the time of the story with great detail and beautiful prose. I would highly recommend these 4 books to any reader of this genre.
Shelia A. Pace
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story!

I'm a fan! Loved this story from the first pages. Epic in four books, it provided me with many hours of enjoyable reading. The travels and trials of this couple was interesting. The time and setting were well researched and informative. Loved and recommended!
Helen Hollick
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book (and the entire Troubadour Quartet) has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:

Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs

"The Troubadour Quartet is a whole bag of Discovered Diamonds."
Barbara
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The satisfying final book of The Troubadours Quartet kept me up late night after night to finish it.
Julie E. Swanberg
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable series.

It was interesting to learn about France and England in the middle ages. I wish more of the locations could be found on the map though. Nice work!
Jeanine
did not finish
Eirini
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. One of the best!

• Rise of the King (King of Prey, #4)
  • Prince of Pleasure (King of Prey, #5)
  • Master of the Hunt (King of Prey, #3)
  • A View to a Kill (King of Prey, #2)
  • King of Prey (King of Prey, #1)
  • A Flight in Time  (A Thief in Time, #2)
  • Shifter's Sacrifice (One True Mate, #1)
  • Dragon's Heat (One True Mate, #2)
  • Shifter's Echo (One True Mate, #3)
  • Shifter's Innocent (One True Mate, #4)
  • Shifter's Rogue  (One True Mate, #5)
  • Bear's Redemption  (One True Mate, #6)
  • Deceiving the Highlander (Highland Bodyguards, Book 10)
  • His Lass to Protect (Highland Bodyguards, Book 9)
  • Seduced by the Highland Werewolf
  • Winter Solstice (Druid, #3)
  • A Druid of Her Own (Druid, #4)
  • Sacred Places (Druid, #1)
Jean Gill is a Welsh writer and photographer living in the south of France with two scruffy dogs, a beehive named 'Endeavour', a Nikon D750 and a man. For many years, she taught English in Wales and was the first woman to be a secondary headteacher in Carmarthenshire. She is mother or stepmother to five children so life was hectic.

Publications are varied, including prize-winning poetry and novels,

The Troubadours Quartet (4 books)
  • Song at Dawn: 1150 in Provence (The Troubadours Quartet #1)
  • Bladesong: 1151 in the Holy Land (The Troubadours Quartet #2)
  • Plaint for Provence (The Troubadours Quartet #3)