Start by marking “Where The Light Gets In” as Want to Read:
Where The Light Gets In

Where The Light Gets In

‘You know those cracks in your heart, Lorna, where things didn’t work out, but you picked yourself up and carried on? That’s where the fear gets out. And where the light gets in.’

It was Betty, defiant to the end, who sent Lorna back to Longhampton. If Lorna’s learned one thing from Betty it’s that courage is something you paint on like red lipstick, even when you’re panick
Published April 19th 2018 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Where The Light Gets In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where The Light Gets In

Dale Harcombe
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lorna volunteers at a nursing home where she meets and comes to know Betty and her little dachshund Rudy. Betty tries to encourage Lorna to deal with the fears in her life. It is because of Betty that Lorna ends up back in Longhampton. The place where she grew up holds many things Lorna needs to deal with. But it also holds a spark of promise. In her hands Lorna has the key to the town’s gallery. Yet she feels as timid and fearful as the anxious little Rudy. For it was at Longhampton when she wa ...more
Rachel Gilbey
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly emotional, a roller coaster of feelings as we meet Lorna, Betty, Joyce, two little dogs, and a few other very key characters in a book that drew me in from the start and that I am very glad to have read.

Lets start with the key canine since I absolutely love it when Lucy Dillon has dogs in her books, and Rudy is a very sweet but anxious daschund that seems scared of almost everything. Lorna decides to keep him after his owner passes away very early in the book.

Between Lorna and Rudy
Amanda
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book from beginning to end. What's not to like when the doggy characters are as engaging as the human ones? There was even a mention of adult colouring which is as much a passion of mine as reading.
Karen Mace
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book!!! I love reading books from Lucy Dillon as she always creates such warm characters who you immediately connect with, and this story follows Lorna as she goes back to where she has some bad memories, but just taking that brave step to face them head on and start a new project just brings out the best in her - and changes the life of those around her too!

We first meet Lorna as she is volunteering at a hospice where she spends time with those in the final stages of life, and
Kelly
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely heartwarming book that is full of creativity, friendship and self discovery.

In this lovely story your taken on a journey with Lorna that takes you through her memories of how life changed for her the summer she was 13 and how this in turn shaped her future. After deciding to fulfill her dream she reconnects with herself and in doing so gains friends both old and new and creates something wonderful for all involved.

A brilliantly crafted story that I loved throughout and loved the creat
Karen Whittard
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, moving, Uplighting, gorgeous. Perhaps not the best book to read on bus trips. Due to the amount of times I had to pretend that I had allergies. 🙈🙈. Due to crying in public. But this is one of my favourite books of the year. Loved it.
Sandie Bishop
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
beautiful, just beautiful. Had me sobbing buckets!
Gem ~ Bee
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I simply must draw attention to the beautiful cover of this book. The forget-me-not blue background with the contrasting gold text is gorgeous, and I have seen finished copies of the hardback on Lucy’s Instagram that shows not only that it is just as eyecatching in real life, but that the inlay has little dachshund dogs all over it which just makes me crave a copy of my own (this is something ebooks just can never compete with imho).

I have long been a big fan of Lucy Dillon’s writing; a
Fabulous Book Fiend
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
What Lucy Dillon does when she creates her world and her characters is create a sense of community. Normally the community is not the sort of community that you might expect or what fits the 'usual' it is a community formed of her wonderful characters and the community that those characters need in that setting and in that moment and I think this is the most unlikely community yet, but it might just be my favourite.

This book is long and so a lot of things take place over the course of 450 pages
Liz
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! My favourite Lucy Dillon novel to date!
Rea Cobb
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

I am always drawn to novels by Lucy Dillon as they always have such heart-warming storylines and a dog that will capture my heart too! Lucy’s most recent release Where the Light Gets In has the most stunning delicate cover and the synopsis sounded promising too.

Lorna has had her fair share of difficulties in the past and these have shaped the woman she is today but she has one last fight in her and her determination to succeed in the world of Art sees her buying the Art Gallery in the old town s
Kitvaria Sarene
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by Lucy Dillon.

I myself am not an arty person at all, so the topic itself did do nothing for me - but the characters once again captured me quickly.

Me still having 4 grandparents (youngest one turned 90 a couple of weeks back) meant I could so well engage with the caring for elderly people. It is wonderful but hard too.
In this one I didn't think the characters as "cliche" as with the last book. They felt three dimensional and well fleshed out! They had flaws and strengths a
Magdalena Wajda
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must confess I have a weak spot for Ms. Dillon's books, beause of the dogs. This time there are two dogs, each of them plays an important role.
The book is what I expected from my favorite English writer - it's heartwarming, moving, it's very English with the descriptions of garden and the gallons of tea that are involved :)
This time Ms. Dillon speaks of serious issues - one of them is trust and betrayal, the other is old age and dignity. Beautifully written, with believable and likeable char
Cat
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
a lovely and well written story, with warm characters. some you could imagine being in your own life in some way, quietly familiar.
Janet Emson
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, reviewed
Lorna left Longhampton when she was thirteen and hasn’t returned since. Now she is thirty, and has suffered the loss of both of her parents. Inspired by Betty, a lady she visited in a hospice, she seizes the opportunity to run the art gallery in Longhampton. Accompanied by Rudy, the anxious dachshund she inherited from Betty, Lorna learns to believe in herself and that her world can change for the better when she lets the light in.

There was a lovely feel to this story, the reader soon becomes ca
Trish Hills
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really can't praise this book enough! It's tender, sweet, funny, charmjng and so touching! The creativity flows through the pages and made me want to be crafty (something which I have ZERO talent for!). The characters of Lorna and Joyce will stay with me for a long while. Tiff, Sam, Jess and Hattie were wonderful too. And I mustn't forget Rudy and Bernard!

This is an absolute must read for 2018! I laughed, cried and was glued to the last 100 pages!
Sophie Eminson
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Judge me as much as you like, but I requested a proof copy of Where the Light Gets In by Lucy Dillon because the cover is so simple and beautiful. I am a sucker for light blue and it drew me in. After I started reading it, however, I fell in love. This novel talks about art, family, love and friendship beautifully; Lucy Dillon understands the human mind and I related so much to many of the dramas in the storyline. Where the Light Gets In will be published by Transworld on 19 April 2018.

The Story
Claire Mc Partlin
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lucy Dillon is one of my favourite authors and I really enjoyed going back to Longhampton and hearing more about its residents.

Lorna has decided to take a bit of a risk and open her own gallery, back in Longhampton where she used to live. She was persuaded to take the risk by Betty, one of the elderly residents she used to visit at a hospice, who sadly died. She left behind a very nervous dachshund, Rudy, who Lorna ended up taking home with her as she couldn't see him put in a shelter.

There were
Gee
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is the first novel I have read by Lucy Dillon and it has definitely influenced me to pick up more of her work in the future!

Where The Light Gets In is a beautifully written, heartwarming tale of self discovery, friendships, family, loneliness, love and loss. Lorna Larkham, encouraged to be brave by the late Betty, decides to buy an art gallery in the town of Longhampton where she grew up. Memories of bereavement, of family and of unrequited love are held in Longhampton for Lorna, and she fe
Ingstje
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn to this novel because of the beautiful cover at first. When the sunlight catches these golden butterflies and that little dachshund on the cover, it’s just so gorgeous, I can’t seem to stop playing with the light and the cover :-). It’s definitely one of the prettiest covers I have in my library now and if you want to buy this novel, you really should think about getting the hardback as it has adorable little dachshund images all over the front and back book flaps.

The dog – I can eve
Marjorie
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a bit of a mixed bag of a read for me. I wasn't really disappointed in it as such (even though I have thoroughly enjoyed other books by this author) I just couldn't really connect with the people or the place. The story arc didn't really grab me either if I'm being honest and it all felt a little bit contrived - what really galled me is that Lorna (our main character) mentions that the accounts for the Gallery don't tally but this is never resolved. It did make me wonder if the editor h ...more
Daisy Warren
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
well, well, well.. Initially I only picked this book up because of the front cover, it just looked too adorable to pass up and the title and blurb made it sound like a pretty light read which I thought would help to separate some of my more demanding series' that Im going through at the moment. The blurb didn't really intrigue me too much as it gave nothing away really, but I was excited to get going!

Now this was a hard one for me, About 150-200 pages in, which is pretty much half way not much i
Jess
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I had ever read by Lucy Dillon but I will definitely be reading more. Where The Light Gets In was a beautiful, heart-warming story which had me sobbing at the end.

Lorna is an easy protagonist to love, we first meet her when she is volunteering in a hospice to befriend people who are coming to the end of their lives and may not have anyone to keep them company/talk to. She then moves back to her home town to pursue her dreams and we see her meet new friends and rekindle ol
Ceecee
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t my usual genre of book however on a cold day as the wind whistles around the house and Britain is Brexit bonkers (sorry world we aren’t all complete lunatics just the politicians) this book was just the ticket. It was really well written with characters I felt invested in and grew so fond of, in particular Joyce with her independence and scathing attitudes to authorities who thought they knew what was best for her because she was old. I’m channeling my inner Joyce. Some people would s ...more
Shiva Patel
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tara
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“You know those cracks in your heart, Lorna, where things didn’t work out, but you picked yourself up and carried on? That’s where the fear gets out. And where the light gets in.”

By the time of this quote, I was already in love with Lucy Dillon’s Where The Light Gets In – and my Kindle tells me it’s only about the 2% mark.
This wonderfully written, incredibly emotional and thought-provoking book was hard to put down.
It tackles some big, tough subjects – relationships, growing up and dying to name
Ieva
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant and well written. An entertaining read with some originality.

Unlike much 'romantic' fiction, this book deals more with a woman's road to self-fulfilment than to pairing up and happiness with ' The right man'. Not that romance doesn't feature, it just doesn't seem the main point of the story. While I enjoyed the characterization of two influential, elderly women, I would love to read a book one day where an old woman doesn't contribute to the plot by dying before the end of the novel. Si
Petra  Q
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I must say I was so taken by this heart-melting story as well as the gorgeously sparkly book cover.
Where the light gets in is the first book I read by Lucy Dillon, and I am already looking forward to her next book!
Although Lorna, our leading lady loves her sister Jess she prefers to be alone, so she doesn’t get hurt. There is only space for her passion- art but Lorna thinks she hasn’t got the talent like her mother, the famous Cathy Larkham.
When a chance to purchase a gallery in her childhood to
Ann Brockbank
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lucy writes well rounded believable characters, some you dislike and others you just want to be best friends with. It’s an extraordinary story of friendship, creativity, love and grief. The characters of Lorna and Joyce will stay with me for a long while. As with all Lucy’s books, dogs also take centre stage and this time we meet Rudy the adorable dachshund and Bernard the inquisitive and equally loveable Border Terrier. I have to admit I am a little uneasy around dogs, but Lucy’s books always m ...more
  • A Christmas Tail
  • Hetty’s Farmhouse Bakery
  • Sleigh Rides and Silver Bells at the Christmas Fair
  • The Woolly Hat Knitting Club
  • The Grace of Crows
  • Make A Christmas Wish: A heartwarming, witty and magical festive treat!
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Woman
  • Christmas at the Little Knitting Box (New York Ever After, #1)
  • One Thousand Stars and You
  • On a Beautiful Day
  • The Little Teashop of Lost and Found
  • A Country Escape
  • The Second Love of My Life
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • A Song for Tomorrow
  • Unlacing Lady Thea
  • The Painted Sky
  • Escape to Willow Cottage
Lucy Dillon was born in Cumbria, worked for a while in publishing in London, and now lives in the Wye Valley with her husband and their Border terrier. She has written eight novels set in the fictional Midlands town of Longhampton, which looks a bit like Hereford, although the inhabitants tend to sound rather more Northern than that.