Start by marking “Where The Light Gets In” as Want to Read:
Where The Light Gets In

Where The Light Gets In

‘You know those cracks in your heart, Lorna, where things didn’t work out, but you picked yourself up and carried on? That’s where the fear gets out. And where the light gets in.’

Published April 19th 2018 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Where The Light Gets In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where The Light Gets In

Start your review of Where The Light Gets In
Dale Harcombe
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lorna volunteers at a nursing home where she meets and comes to know Betty and her little dachshund Rudy. Betty tries to encourage Lorna to deal with the fears in her life. It is because of Betty that Lorna ends up back in Longhampton. The place where she grew up holds many things Lorna needs to deal with. But it also holds a spark of promise. In her hands Lorna has the key to the town’s gallery. Yet she feels as timid and fearful as the anxious little Rudy. For it was at Longhampton when she wa ...more
Rachel Gilbey
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly emotional, a roller coaster of feelings as we meet Lorna, Betty, Joyce, two little dogs, and a few other very key characters in a book that drew me in from the start and that I am very glad to have read.

Lets start with the key canine since I absolutely love it when Lucy Dillon has dogs in her books, and Rudy is a very sweet but anxious daschund that seems scared of almost everything. Lorna decides to keep him after his owner passes away very early in the book.

Between Lorna and Rudy
Amanda
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book from beginning to end. What's not to like when the doggy characters are as engaging as the human ones? There was even a mention of adult colouring which is as much a passion of mine as reading.
Julia
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very moving and beautiful story, I loved it.
Karen Mace
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book!!! I love reading books from Lucy Dillon as she always creates such warm characters who you immediately connect with, and this story follows Lorna as she goes back to where she has some bad memories, but just taking that brave step to face them head on and start a new project just brings out the best in her - and changes the life of those around her too!

We first meet Lorna as she is volunteering at a hospice where she spends time with those in the final stages of life, and
Kel
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely heartwarming book that is full of creativity, friendship and self discovery.

In this lovely story your taken on a journey with Lorna that takes you through her memories of how life changed for her the summer she was 13 and how this in turn shaped her future. After deciding to fulfill her dream she reconnects with herself and in doing so gains friends both old and new and creates something wonderful for all involved.

A brilliantly crafted story that I loved throughout and loved the creat
Karen Whittard
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, moving, Uplighting, gorgeous. Perhaps not the best book to read on bus trips. Due to the amount of times I had to pretend that I had allergies. 🙈🙈. Due to crying in public. But this is one of my favourite books of the year. Loved it.
Fabulous Book Fiend
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
What Lucy Dillon does when she creates her world and her characters is create a sense of community. Normally the community is not the sort of community that you might expect or what fits the 'usual' it is a community formed of her wonderful characters and the community that those characters need in that setting and in that moment and I think this is the most unlikely community yet, but it might just be my favourite.

This book is long and so a lot of things take place over the course of 450 pages
Albertina
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I tend to enjoy Lucy Dillon’s books, there is always a heartwarming message nestled into the pages. However, this story was painfully slow and at times seemed aimless. Couldn’t get into it or relate to the characters, so it was hard to finish it.
Sandie Bishop
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
beautiful, just beautiful. Had me sobbing buckets!
Kirstie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d originally given this book 3 stars but have changed to 4. Chick lit definitely isn’t my genre any more but Lucy writes in a way that draws you back to picking it up

I like the dogs in her book who always feature regularly and this was a lovely story.
Gem ~ Bee
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I simply must draw attention to the beautiful cover of this book. The forget-me-not blue background with the contrasting gold text is gorgeous, and I have seen finished copies of the hardback on Lucy’s Instagram that shows not only that it is just as eyecatching in real life, but that the inlay has little dachshund dogs all over it which just makes me crave a copy of my own (this is something ebooks just can never compete with imho).

I have long been a big fan of Lucy Dillon’s writing; a
Liz
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! My favourite Lucy Dillon novel to date!
Grass monster
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Blurb :
It was Betty, defiant to the end, who sent Lorna back to Longhampton. If Lorna’s learned one thing from Betty it’s that courage is something you paint on like red lipstick, even when you’re panicking inside. And right now, with the keys to the town’s gallery in her hand, Lorna feels about as courageous as Betty’s anxious little dachshund, trembling beside her.
Lorna’s come home to Longhampton to fulfil a long-held dream, but she knows, deep down, there are ghosts she needs to lay to re
Marjorie
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a bit of a mixed bag of a read for me. I wasn't really disappointed in it as such (even though I have thoroughly enjoyed other books by this author) I just couldn't really connect with the people or the place. The story arc didn't really grab me either if I'm being honest and it all felt a little bit contrived - what really galled me is that Lorna (our main character) mentions that the accounts for the Gallery don't tally but this is never resolved. It did make me wonder if the editor h ...more
Rea Cobb
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

I am always drawn to novels by Lucy Dillon as they always have such heart-warming storylines and a dog that will capture my heart too! Lucy’s most recent release Where the Light Gets In has the most stunning delicate cover and the synopsis sounded promising too.

Lorna has had her fair share of difficulties in the past and these have shaped the woman she is today but she has one last fight in her and her determination to succeed in the world of Art sees her buying the Art Gallery in the old town s
Brigitte
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book pulled me in like no other book. Full of poetry and emotions. Absolutely brilliant. It touched so many parts of me that I haven’t felt for a long time. It makes me want to paint the world with textiles! I’ll now have to chase down more of this amazing author. Brilliant!
Ria
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my best reads this year, don't let anyone tell you chick lit or contemporary women's fiction is just BS stories.
Wow I am sat here crying as I write this review.
Lorna has tried and failed at running an art gallery in London and now she is going back to her old home of Longhampton to try again with an art gallery she always admired.
But the ghosts of her past are rearing their heads, so many memories of her parents, how things back then shook apart their family unit, her on / off love for th
Kitvaria Sarene
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by Lucy Dillon.

I myself am not an arty person at all, so the topic itself did do nothing for me - but the characters once again captured me quickly.

Me still having 4 grandparents (youngest one turned 90 a couple of weeks back) meant I could so well engage with the caring for elderly people. It is wonderful but hard too.
In this one I didn't think the characters as "cliche" as with the last book. They felt three dimensional and well fleshed out! They had flaws and strengths a
Magdalena Wajda
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must confess I have a weak spot for Ms. Dillon's books, beause of the dogs. This time there are two dogs, each of them plays an important role.
The book is what I expected from my favorite English writer - it's heartwarming, moving, it's very English with the descriptions of garden and the gallons of tea that are involved :)
This time Ms. Dillon speaks of serious issues - one of them is trust and betrayal, the other is old age and dignity. Beautifully written, with believable and likeable char
C
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was ok

I liked the overall story of Lorna and Joyce’s friendship and, as always, I liked the dogs. However, I found the story was too meandering and without depth. In addition, the Sam element was supremely tedious. The ending just did my head in.

I love the meaning of the story however I did find this novel to be a bit slow for my liking.
Cat
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
a lovely and well written story, with warm characters. some you could imagine being in your own life in some way, quietly familiar.
Lisa
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
A pleasant and moving read but a little too simple somehow to earn a higher rating.
Rhonda
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely feel good book - first of this authors that I have read - enjoyed it
Maisie
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice and easy read. It is quite predictable but it doesn’t stop you from enjoying it nonetheless.
Sophie Humes
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book, it was just so lighthearted and just such a lovely story to read
Janet Emson
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, owned-books
Lorna left Longhampton when she was thirteen and hasn’t returned since. Now she is thirty, and has suffered the loss of both of her parents. Inspired by Betty, a lady she visited in a hospice, she seizes the opportunity to run the art gallery in Longhampton. Accompanied by Rudy, the anxious dachshund she inherited from Betty, Lorna learns to believe in herself and that her world can change for the better when she lets the light in.

There was a lovely feel to this story, the reader soon becomes ca
Susanchitter
3.5 I enjoyed this heart warming book. Lorna must deal with her past family relationships and her present which includes trying to make a go of an art gallery. I loved the different characters. Not many books let you enjoy and feel with not one but two elderly ladies. The English countryside always makes reading better!
Ceecee
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t my usual genre of book however on a cold day as the wind whistles around the house and Britain is Brexit bonkers (sorry world we aren’t all complete lunatics just the politicians) this book was just the ticket. It was really well written with characters I felt invested in and grew so fond of, in particular Joyce with her independence and scathing attitudes to authorities who thought they knew what was best for her because she was old. I’m channeling my inner Joyce. Some people would s ...more
Trish Hills
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really can't praise this book enough! It's tender, sweet, funny, charmjng and so touching! The creativity flows through the pages and made me want to be crafty (something which I have ZERO talent for!). The characters of Lorna and Joyce will stay with me for a long while. Tiff, Sam, Jess and Hattie were wonderful too. And I mustn't forget Rudy and Bernard!

This is an absolute must read for 2018! I laughed, cried and was glued to the last 100 pages!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Bokcirkeln vid världens ände
  • Something To Tell You
  • Sommaren med Ava (Kärlek i Sunnanby, #1)
  • Välkommen till Flanagans (Flanagans, #1)
  • Summer at Shell Cottage
  • Bara lite till
  • Christmas at the Beach Café (The Beach Café, #2)
  • Brevvännerna
  • The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew
  • The House of New Beginnings
  • A Family Recipe
  • Solsken och parmesan
  • My One True North
  • An Almost Perfect Holiday
  • A Patchwork Family
  • A Match Made in Devon (A Match Made in Devon, #1-4)
  • I fikonträdets skugga
  • Villa Havsbris
Lucy Dillon was born in Cumbria, worked for a while in publishing in London, and now lives in the Wye Valley with her husband and their Border terrier. She has written eight novels set in the fictional Midlands town of Longhampton, which looks a bit like Hereford, although the inhabitants tend to sound rather more Northern than that.

News & Interviews