Start by marking “President Darcy: A Modern Pride and Prejudice Variation” as Want to Read:
President Darcy: A Modern Pride and Prejudice Variation

President Darcy: A Modern Pride and Prejudice Variation

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
A contemporary adaptation of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice

Billionaire President William Darcy has it all: wealth, intelligence, and the most powerful job in the country. Despite what his friends say, he is not lonely in the White House. He’s not. And he has vowed not to date while he’s in office. Nor is he interested in Elizabeth Bennet. She might be pretty and funny
Published October 10th 2017

To ask other readers questions about President Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about President Darcy

Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
4.5 stars!

Review, Guest Post, Excerpt & Giveaway at Of Pens and Pages

I’ve always wanted to read a modern-day Pride and Prejudice with Mr. Darcy as the POTUS, and now we finally have it. I’m a happy, happy girl. Some scenes were hilariously absurd, others cute and awkward, and the rest so swoon-worthy. This Mr. Darcy is so adorable! I want to keep him for myself! One word to describe this book= kilig*.

Social status is still an important aspect that shows the disparity between Elizabeth and Da
Sheila Majczan
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up to 5 stars.

As I was reading this story I kept thinking about gossip concerning presidents and other politicians...even today's men and women, and how their lives are on display but then also how gossip can be used to paint those as immoral, corrupt, etc. individuals even if untrue and so many believe what they hear and/or read.

We do have this modern variation beginning as did canon. Elizabeth, attending a social event, with her nouveau riche family, gets caught where she should no
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Mr. Darcy is POTUS!!!

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Modern-day Pride and Prejudice Adaptation

SETTING: Modern-day, Washington DC

MAIN CHARACTERS:

- President Will Darcy: America’s youngest elected President to date, single and also a billionaire.
- Elizabeth Bennet: A Red Cross staff worker who travels the world with a refugee crisis team.
- The Bennet Family: Founders and Owners of On-a-Stick, Inc., a company that specializes in serving food “on a stick.”
- Charles Bingley: The President’s Chief of Staff
Sophia
'Darcy for President!' we all shout.
Oh wait, it happened.
Victoria Kincaid, an author whom I've enjoyed to read for her employment of fun and clever plot variations for Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice has done it again. In this her first modern variation, she makes the White House her playground for Darcy and Lizzy's sweet, but at times acrimonious romance and the antics of all the other usual suspects in the original Austen tale.

The story begins with a fiasco of a meet cute for President Da
Debbie Brown
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: jaff, 2017-jaff, i-own-it
I liked this, but it's kind of an odd mix between NOT-To-Be-Taken-Seriously with a little bit of To-Be-Taken-Seriously.

In the first category, you can start with the Bennet family business, called On-A-Stick. Mr. Bennet seems as flaky as Mrs. Bennet, though in a different way; he's constantly in sales mode for his food empire. The name pretty much describes it, though we're not talking corn dogs here, people. Among others, Mr. Bennet's products are Ravioli-On-A-Stick, Egg-On-A-Stick ("hard-boiled
Talia
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think that this is only the second or third modern P & P variation that I have absolutely loved. I just loved it. I avoided it when it came out because, well Trump. I needed a break from all things Presidential. (please, if you love the current president, I am very happy for you. Truly!) I love the author but couldn't go there. Enough time has passed though, that I bought the paperback. So glad I did. It was awesome.
Lynn
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
aAgreat modern variation.

I really loved this book. It was a most enjoyable fun read. It sets the Pride and Prejudice story in current times, and in this variation, Mr. Darcy is the president and Elizabeth Bennet works for the Red Cross. It starts out with a very humourous situation, and the Darcy and Lizzy relationship flow from there. This book has humour, pathos and romance in all the right amounts. Don't miss out on reading this book, it is well worth reading.
Deb Hughes
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful modern-day P&P

I love all of Victoria Kincaid’s books ~~ this is one of the best. President Darcy and professional exec Lizzy find a wonderful way to get around the troublesome Lydia and George Wickham again
Lit Reader
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This adaptation is very atractive and well delivered for the most part. Up to 70% it was a supern translation of P&P to modern times, to an American setting, and to the White House specifically. The trouble arises when the story deviates from the spirit of the original. When Darcy helps out Lydia in the Regency version, he does it for Lizzie, in order to save the Bennett's honor; in this modern version, he reacts to the Wickham situation to save his own public profile and screws up enormousl ...more
Margie's Must Reads
I want to live in a world where there is a President Fitzwilliam Darcy.
Mira Magdo
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Victoria Kincaid is in my top 3 JAFF authors, and she can’t write fast enough to satisfy my appetite for her stories. She has recently released her first modern Pride and Prejudice inspired novel: President Darcy. I love that it’s so much more than just a “simple” or “another” Pride and Prejudice variation; it has it's saying on humiliation, bullying, media, publicity, third world, charity work, politics etc.
Darcy’s and Elizabeth’s first encounter is funny, passionate, embarrassing and electrif
Tina
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 1/2 stars
Vaarin
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An utterly delightful read, kept smirking and snickering throughout but it still had a nerve that turned heart-wrenching towards the end.
Especially loved aunt Madeleine's resourcefulness when pushing Elizabeth through a crowd and Georgiana's way of waking up her brother, had me laughing so hard...
Mr Darcy makes a swoonworthy President and Elizabeth was a delight too as an aid worker for the Red Cross.
The story kept fairly close to the timeline of canon but was modernised in an impressively plaus
Dung
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen-inspried
4.5⭐ Fun and enjoyable read. ...more
Juliana
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Y'all, I expected this to be completely over the top and ridiculous. Imagine my surprise when the story turned out to be decent and the author was too. I'm not saying this story is AMAZING but it definitely captured my attention. The format could have been a bit cleaner but that's being nitpicky.
The modern update of Pride and Prejudice to this was relatively well done. Sure, there are going to be implausible moments when you're dealing with a citizen and the president. Kincaid figured
Arceli
Soaring Up High

Victoria Kincaid really did make me addicted to the entire Pride and Prejudice trope. I can now see why it is so addicted. Now, I’m motivated to read the actual book by Jane Austen.

President Darcy is the modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. It features President William Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett, a Red-cross worker, who is from a nouveau-riche family. Like the retelling goes there is a lot of aminosity and hate the goes on between the two characters. However, it is really aw

Elizabeth Hossenlopp
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Frances Evêque
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't praise it enough. Read in 2 days (I had to work, otherwise I would have done it in one!), and I keep going back to re-read my favourite parts. It's beautiful - expressively written and enthralling, and the entire concept is genius - likening the class divides of Austen with those present between the President and the American people. It fits so perfectly, and Ms Kincaid creates some exquisitely torturous moments, it will leave you breathless. I've read almost every single one of Victoria ...more
Marty Tool
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Light read version of P and P, enjoyable, interesting concept of Mr. Darcy being president. The characters aren't much different from the original book although I had trouble with how inept a man elected as president was in personal conversations. Sister Lydia needed something more to happen to her or at least grow up some, mother was about the same pain in this version as the original. Entertaining tale.
Becky
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good telling of Pride and Prejudice, thoughtfully updated to the modern era. I personally didn't find the writing as engaging as some others. I think part of it is the third person perspective, I tend to prefer stories written in the first person. That said, the rest of the book was great and well worth a read.
Beth
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actually quite funny

Caroline Bingley seems more Machiavellian in modern times than in the 1800's. She's a class A bitch in any time period.
Some lines are perfect. " On a scale of 1-10, how horrified are you? "38" in describing Collins ! Seriously? Ravioli on a stick?
Its probably the best retelling of the story in modern times instead of the 1800's.
Paloma Hdezc
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS THE BEST PRIDE AND PREJUDICE VARIATION I’VE READ, THE CONTEMPORARY SETTING IN WASHINGTON D.C AND THE WHITE HOUSE WAS PERFECT! DARCY AND ELIZABETH ARE AMAZING IN THIS STORY, A FUNNY AND UTTERLY ROMANTIC NOVEL. Definitely, President Darcy it’s the best novel I’ve read this year. I NEED A MOVIE and a SEQUEL of this book!
Sara
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this Modern take. Yes, you have to suspend reality but don't we all do that for most romances? I truly enjoyed the writing and the plot. I was dissatisfied that Lydia did not have any consequences for her bad behavior. A truly fun modern read.
InD'tale Magazine
A contemporary retelling of “Pride and Prejudice”, “President Darcy” is a cute if unrealistic take on the classic.

Read full review in the 2018 March issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Liz C.
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it! Unlike most P&P variations, it wasn't completely predictable, however it still retained enough of the familiar to be P&P. This was a great update of the story and I liked pretty much everything except, as usual, the exasperating Mrs. Bennet!
Vee Stojcevski
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of fun!

A unique retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I enjoyed the story, which I found to be light and fun. There is some drama which rounded out the story nicely. I enjoyed how Victoria catches the essence of each character from the originals.
Alexandra
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
LOVED it. I'll be checking out some of the author's other stories, but I have to say how much I love modern variations and how I wish they were more popular. If you're reading this and have any modern JAFF's to recommend, leave a comment!
Heather Foster
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!

I absolutely loved this version. I loved how the author let us see both sides to the story from Will and Elizabeth’s perspective. It was well written, funny, sad, heartwarming, and easy read. I could not put this book down. I had to finish it. Worth every penny.
Amy
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Profanity
Patty Campagna
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Loved this book. The best pride and prejudice variation i have ever read. Loved the story of Will and Elizabeth. It was just the right amount of drama. Perfection.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Victoria has a Ph.D. in English literature and has taught composition to unwilling college students. Today she teaches business writing to willing office professionals and tries to give voice to the demanding cast of characters in her head.

She lives in Virginia with an overly affectionate cat, two children who are learning how much fun Austen’s characters can be, and a husband who fortunately is n