Start by marking “Winterset (The Mad Morelands, #3)” as Want to Read:
Winterset (The Mad Morelands, #3)

Winterset

(The Mad Morelands #3)

Book 3 in the fan-favorite Mad Morelands series from New York Times bestselling author Candace Camp!

Ever since Anna Holcombe inexplicably refused his proposal, Reed Moreland has been unable to set foot in the home that was the backdrop to their romance—Winterset.

The eerie beauty of the Gloucestershire mansion and the mystery that surrounds it have always captivated him,
Published January 8th 2018 by HQN Books (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Winterset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winterset

Start your review of Winterset (The Mad Morelands, #3)
Barbara Rogers
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Series: The Mad Morelands #3
Publication Date: 1/8/18 (First Published 2004)
Number of Pages: 416

I am really loving the Mad Morelands who aren’t really mad, just a bit unusual and eccentric. I really liked Reed Moreland in the last book and as I got to know him in this book, I came to admire him as well. The book is well-written, romantic, filled with characters you’ll love and includes a mystery that is engrossing but doesn’t take away from the romance.

Three years ago, Reed Moreland decided it
Belinda Kroll
The first pages drew me in with the imagery of a woman crying out, struggling to get away from some dark force. It is a prophetic dream that drew me into this delicious gothic romance, so much so that I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning. While reading in those early hours, I got a text from a friend. I was so wrapped up in this book that my phone vibrating made me scream, literally. I dropped the book, my pulse was racing, and I looked about wildly, trying to find what had scared me so ...more
Nath
Laura_sommeils
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't connect with the characters, in fact, I thought that Anna was quite stupid. I decided to try this one because of the premise of second chance romance but, they only knew each other for a month when they "fell in love", and the author never developed how they fell in love, just told us that they were, so I couldn't really believe in said "love". The whole book was "meh". I don't think I'll try another book in this series.
Susan Ross
I liked the lead characters and the mystery of the murders but I wouldn't read it again. And the ending was abrupt.
Maggie
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I was intrigued by the mystery but the ending seemed way too convenient. Didn't ring true.
Suzannah
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So far this is my favorite “Mad Moreland” book in the series – and they are all good. Reed Moreland is a handsome and extremely intelligent bachelor. The second son of the Duke of Broughton, Reed is the most “level headed” of the Moreland clan. He takes care of the finances and family’s estates. Three years prior to the opening of this story, he experienced a deeply painful rejection of his suit and has avoided his former lover Anna Holcomb ever since. But a disturbing dream brings him back into ...more
Andrea
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, r-historical
A decent romance and a satisfying bit of mystery as well. I was a little frustrated in the first half when the book wouldn't just come out and say why Anna had turned Reed down in the first place; that was transparent and cheap tension-building, and that reveal was overdone. But overall that was a fairly minor complaint. I surprised myself by liking the psychic visions angle; it's not something I actually believe in, nor a fictional trope I'm generally over-fond of, but here I thought it was ...more
Erin
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anna de Winter is not thrilled to hear that Lord Reed Moreland is back in town. Three years ago, she turned down his proposal and broke two hearts. She had her reasons, important ones. But now Reed has returned, just in time for a series of sinister events in their small hamlet. Are the strange happenings related to a pair of grisly murders fifty years earlier? Are there darker forces at work? Reed and Anna must work together to solve old and new mysteries, without falling back in love.

This was
Wendy Tavenner
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anna is still anguished that she had to turn down the man she loved Marriage proposal. She never told him why. After Reed Moreland was rejected 3 years ago by the love of his life he left and never returned. Know he’s back because of a dream he had that Anna was in danger. With a murderer loose killing people the way it happened 48 years ago. Reed and Anna work together to find and stop the killer. Anna also learns about things from her past that are not true. Another fabulous Mad Moreland Read!
Lisa
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I hate to say it but this book was about 100 to 150 pages too long. At the beginning I didn’t want to put the book down. However, with Anna going on and on about maddness, it took away from the story and the mystery. Not to mention the was practically over before any boom boom happened. The main characters chemistry seemed to be off. I just didn’t like it. I really like this author and I was like king forward to Reeds story, but this did not live up to expectations
Monika P.
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rnr
Winterset is the third book in The Mad Morelands series. Just like the previous books, there is mystery and plenty of twists to the story. The love story is secondary to the mystery which did not bother me at all. I do like mysteries. What did bother me, however, was the fact that the hero was begging way too much and came off as a little whimpy. Other than that I enjoyed the book.
Ramonita  Roldan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reed Moreland & Anna de Winter's story was quite complex. Believing a false truth, she was determined to protect those she loved. He was also determined, to never give up on those he loved. Together they fought to uncover a truth that would changed both their lives. Loved this story. Highly Recommend. Happy Reading.
Alice
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Three

Reed finds his match in Anna de Winter who seems to have a stranger family than his own. Psychic visions, murder, insanity and family secrets abound. The ending is neatly wrapped up with a very unexpected twist. Nice.
Gloriamarie
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah, a mysterious mansion, rejected love, ghosts, what more could you want?
penny Port
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Enjoyed the characters, the playfulness of the twins, the mystery. I will continue with the series looking forward to the next one.
Abigail
I wanted to like this one more than I did, and I mostly did like it! I love Reed, he is the best. Anna is ok most of the time though her thought processes are questionable.....
Pat Welte
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Very good story and characters that seam alive. This story had suspense, being cursed, psychic and romance.
Drucilla
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c
If you haven't read any of the others in this series, have no fear. You don't need to have. I didn't feel that anything was lacking in background information concerning the Moreland family. The story is really cool with a curse propelling it. Most importantly, the wrap-up of the story is done in such a way that it doesn't just seem convienent.
MLL
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book 3-1/2 stars. The romance is rather angsty and I didn't find it very fulfilling. The happy ending solution was predictable and inevitable. The mystery did keep me guessing throughout the book. The murderer was of course someone I had considered but the killer's motivation is hidden until the end. For this reason it wasn't too obvious.
Cherolyne
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is my favorite book of the series.. nice story, romantically put.. hahaha..

I just dont understand Anna, and her brother fear bout getting mad gene. mad is something wrong with your brain, how you think. its something people chose to do conciously (my opinion, and I'm not psychiatrist).

Melanie
I did not like the supernatural part of it, but I guess that if that ere to happen to me I would declare it a God phenomenon, so it was not too bad. I enjoyed the plot though at times it felt cheesy.
Marianne
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The main female character was SO annoying, and I found the approach-avoidance conflict difficult to tolerate. Maybe that was the point, I don't know, but I didn't much like anything about this book.
Usiusiusi
Nice regency romance but nothing out of the ordinary.
Janet
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was okay but some funny editing mistakes :)
Camille Cole
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional...couldn't put it down, had to read to the end.
Frances
Ugh! All that second sight and beasties, not my cup of tea.
Lynda
Dec 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this almost went to werewolf's once again not a fan
Christine
not one of her best, seem to drag

• The Illegitimate Duke (Diamonds in the Rough, #3)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • The Wrong Highlander (Highland Brides, #7)
  • My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • Marry in Secret (Marriage of Convenience, #3)
  • A Most Unlikely Duke (Diamonds in the Rough, #1)
  • The Pursuits of Lord Kit Cavanaugh (The Cavanaughs #2)
  • The Duke of Her Desire (Diamonds in the Rough, #2)
  • A Match Made in Bed (Spinster Heiresses, #2)
  • The Duke Is But a Dream (Debutante Diaries, #2)
  • Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2)
  • The Duke I Once Knew (Unlikely Duchesses, #1)
  • For the Duke's Eyes Only (School for Dukes, #2)
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • The Marquis and I (The Worthingtons, #4)
  • Not the Duke's Darling (Greycourt, #1)
  • A Little Mischief
  • Earl to the Rescue
Candace Camp is the New York Times bestselling author of over sixty books.

Her first novel, *Bonds of Love*, was published by Jove Publishing in 1978, under the pseudonym Lisa Gregory. Two pseudonyms (Kristin James and Sharon Stephens)and many books later, Candace writes under her own name Candace Camp and still loves creating stories.

Candace lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and is the

The Mad Morelands (6 books)
  • Mesmerized (The Mad Morelands, #1)
  • Beyond Compare (The Mad Morelands, #2)
  • An Unexpected Pleasure (The Mad Morelands, #4)
  • His Sinful Touch (The Mad Morelands, #5)
  • His Wicked Charm (The Mad Morelands, #6)