Start by marking “Het Achterhuis” as Want to Read:
Het Achterhuis

Het Achterhuis

Zeventig jaar geleden werd Het Achterhuis voor het eerst gepubliceerd. Ter gelegenheid van dit jubileum verschijnt het verhaal van Anne Frank nu in stripvorm - het resultaat van een jarenlange samenwerking tussen het Anne Frank Fonds Basel en de bewerkers Ari Folman en David Polonsky (beiden bekend van Waltz with Bashir).

Het unieke samengaan van originele tekst en levendig
Published October 2017 by Prometheus

To ask other readers questions about Het Achterhuis, please sign up.
Kristina Stefanova No, it's partial but it's a good summary in my opinion. The adapter Ari Folman is saying that if they were to illustrate the entire text in a graphic…moreNo, it's partial but it's a good summary in my opinion. The adapter Ari Folman is saying that if they were to illustrate the entire text in a graphic rendition it would require the better part of a decade and likely be 3500 pages long.(less)

Nat
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only graphic novelization of Anne Frank’s diary that has been authorized by the Anne Frank Foundation and that uses text from the diary–it will introduce a new generation of young readers to this classic of Holocaust literature.

Anne Frank's Diary- The Graphic Diary 9-- bookspoils
This one isn't an easy one to quickly wrap my mind (or words) around. There's so much to be said and done that it all sits so heavy on my heart. I'll begin by mentioning that I received the opportunity to read the original Hebrew version of this book, courtesy of a
David Schaafsma
Yes, of course read the latest, updated version of The Diary of Anne Frank (there one that millions, like me, read which was edited in his favor and to his tastes by her father). But as with any dramatic or filmic (or dance) rendition of the text, a comics version of this text--authorized by the Anne Frank Foundation, adapted by Ari Folman and beautifully and playfully illustrated by David Polonsky using all the resources of sequential storytelling available to him--is welcome indeed.

What do we
Greta
Israeli movie director - screen writer Ari Folman and illustrator - art director David Polonsky aren’t amateurs and it shows. This is a gorgeous, brilliant adaptation of Anne Frank’s diary and I’m in awe of the result.
I have to say that I’m unable to compare it with the original diary, because I couldn’t finish it when I tried to read it as a young girl myself, and I’ve always been reluctant to try it again. At the time, I had no interest whatsoever in reading the writings of a teenage girl who
Hilary
I had doubts that a graphic novel version could in any way live up to Anne Frank's original wonderful account of her life in hiding but this was amazing and comes endorsed by the Anne Frank Foundation and when goodreads friend Lisa Vegan recommended it I knew it would be good. I loved reading Anne's diary as a teenager and feel that reading a version that didn't do the original justice would be insulting to Anne's memory.

I loved the artwork, the faces, expressions and depictions the illustrator
Lisa Vegan
I read this book only because it’s officially approved by the Anne Frank Foundation and because it has gotten such positive reviews. Otherwise I’d have been skeptical.

There is a lovely and informative adaptor’s note on pages 148-149 in the hardcover edition at the end of the book and I decided to read it when I was part way through the book and I actually recommend reading it first, but okay to read at the end, but do read it.

It's brilliant!

The book is gorgeous! I absolutely loved the illustrat
But_i_thought_
Anne Frank Cover

Reading the original diary of Anne Frank as a teen was a defining moment of my (childhood) reading life — not only did it bring alive the horrors of World War II, it articulated the universal frustrations of adolescence so well — the battles with Mom, the tentative genesis of an independent worldview, the feelings of isolation, the yearning to be understood, the continual struggle against the self.

This newly illustrated edition — by film maker Ari Folman and illustrator David Polonsky — provide
Neil R. Coulter
I think this is a brilliant adaptation of Anne Frank's diary. It's no substitute for the original text, because the reader has to already know the fuller version of the book in order to really appreciate this one; but it's a tremendous companion. The illustrations are sometimes clever, sometimes gorgeous (some of the two-page spreads are completely stunning), and I can imagine that Anne herself would enjoy how her story has been brought to graphic novel form. Her humor and emotions and intellect ...more
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
This graphic adaptation puts you in hiding with Anne as she tries to cope with the uniquely horrible situation she finds herself in: coming of age in isolation and fear. I truly think this book adds a new perspective to her diaries and provides a visual narrative that will sharpen the diary entries in a way that has not been explored before. A heartbreaking story of hope that should never be forgotten.
Cheryl
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Very moving, effective. I read the original decades ago and don't much remember it, but nonetheless I feel confident that this adaptation is true to Anne as a person and to her legacy. I don't have the right words to discuss it. All I can find to say is that I highly recommend it and will consider other works by the creators.
Eva
-English below-
Anne spat van het papier af in deze graphic novel adaptatie van haar wereldberoemde dagboek. Grappig, springerig, vrolijk, vol humor en wijs voor het leeftijd. De twee artiesten hebben haar goed getroffen. In het begin overheerst humor ondanks de spanning. Zoals wanneer Anne omschrijft op welke fronten ze allemaal net niet zo goed is als haar zus. Of als ze kapsels van beroemde filmsterren nadoet. Hoe langer het onderduiken duurt, hoe dieper de bespiegelingen. Anne denkt na over z
Tammy
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 ☆ I don’t normally read graphic novels but I really enjoyed this one. And of course now that I’ve read this book... I have to go back and re-watch the 1965 movie!
Teresa
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is excellent—even for someone like me who has read the original too many times to count, or maybe especially for someone like me. One day I'll probably reread this too; even looking at just the pictures is a pleasure. Folman and Polonsky have done a superb job of telling Anne’s story through their choice of scenes, as well as through the astounding, inventive images.

For anyone who's read this adaptation and hasn’t read The Diary of a Young Girl, I hope it leads you to the original. A
Rod Brown
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This very strong adaptation of one of the most famous diaries in history works best when the creators trust their instincts and use the graphic novel format to truly visualize Anne's life, thoughts and dreams. They drop in large blocks of text from Anne's diaries a few too many times, but when they actually adapt, we are given a playful and imaginative look into a life which was rich in so much even while lived in confinement and with a scarcity of supplies.

The most moving moment for me was a po
Sylvester
Anyone with doubts about the value of a graphic version of a classic book should read this one. In my mind, this is the very best of it's kind. Superlative. The way Anne's story is presented visually is beautifully imaginative and moving. I can't say enough about it. See for yourself as soon as you can. I highly recommend it.
Beatriz Pires
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 ⭐
What an amazing graphic diary. The history, the testimonies written by Anne, the cruelty lived at the time, the writing and the self aware Anne shows is incredible. I think the drawings were very faithfully the original version, and it will reach younger generations.
Beth Bonini
The Diary of Anne Frank is a book that I vividly remember reading for the first time. Together with the 1978 miniseries Holocaust, it formed my earliest impressions of the Jewish Holocaust during World War II. Because I was very close to Anne’s age when I read her diary, I was particularly struck by the horror of her living conditions (the claustrophobia, boredom and constant fear). I tried to imagine myself coping in that situation, and I knew that I would not fare well. Her feelings - her worr ...more
Peacegal
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars -- Wow! I think in the era before sequential art had established itself as able to tackle even the most grim and serious topics, a graphic adaptation of Anne Frank's diary never would have got off the ground.

Frank's diary, and the feelings within, will be instantly familiar to anyone who is or has been a young teenager--as well as the knowledge of what human tyranny and hatred wrecks upon the world.
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten all that was written and how well this diary was written. She was so young and yet wrote so well. I guess when you are going through difficult and unimaginable things it makes you grow up. I really liked the illustrations the artist did a great job. Very well done.
Heather Johnson
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been many, many years since I read "Diary of a Young Girl," and I was so pleased to see that the integrity of Anne's memory has been preserved in this graphic adaptation of her diary. The legacy of Anne Frank, and the suffering of so many Jews during WWII is present in the illustrations by David Polonksy. The artistic decisions made for this adaptation reveal a desire to ensure that Anne's words were the driver for the story, keeping some of the lengthier passages intact and removing thos ...more
Kristen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a few excerpts of Anne's diary in seventh grade, but I've never engaged in a deep dive with her story. This book was EXCELLENT, one of my favorite reads ever! The illustrations were really powerful in their depictions of the culmination of Anne's depression, internalization of her parents' (particularly her mother's) behaviors as neglect and disdain, comparisons of herself with her "perfect" sister, and budding sexuality and longing for physical and emotional intimacy into a central exper ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
ANNE FRANK’S DIARY: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL is nothing short of a masterpiece. With brilliant colorful illustrations this classic imagines the manner in which Anne would have drawn her diary in a manner that jumps straight from page to heart. Her humor, sarcasm, vulnerability, bravado, thoughtfulness, hope and despair shown in words and picture add another dimension to Anne.

Children and adults will be drawn to ANNE FRANK’S DIARY: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL, including reluctant readers. Younger students can al
Brooke
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read Anne Frank’s original diary in many years, so when I saw this adaptation I knew I had to pick it up. I’m glad it exists, as it will bring Anne’s story to a new set of readers; however, as mentioned in the Adapter’s Note, so much of Anne’s diary had to be left out. Due to this, I think the graphic adaptation is a fantastic starting point or accompaniment, but it can not replace the original diary.
barbara
Im rating this on the illustrations and on the use of the diary. I was meaning to re read the diary but was avoiding it because I have so many books I need to get to. I’m glad I found this edition that made it easier to reconnect to this time period. I can barely believe this is a real story. It baffles me.
Sofia
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For this book I read the version in Chinese, this book is really easy to understand because is in a comic version, while reading this book I have learned more about the WW2 and how Anne felt during the war and the place she and her family are living in which is the secret annex.
Bunny
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-19, comics

I had reservations about a graphic novel adaptation of such an important story. Knowing it was approved by the Anne Frank Foundation did help, and I was genuinely interested to see how it came out.

I don't remember how old I was when I first read the book. I remember bits and pieces, but it didn't really sink in, and it's not the type of book you can read multiple times, because it is a painful reality.

This adaption, however, is wonderful. The art style is really beautiful, and Anne's humor is
Kristina Stefanova
A beautifully illustrated adaptation of Anne’s diary. Of course, it touches just part of the stories and thoughts from her diary, but I think Ari Folman made a good selection. In my opinion, even a reader that is not across the original book would grasp Anne’s ideas, dreams and emotions from this edition.

"Riches, prestige, everything can be lost. But the happiness in your heart can only be dimmed; it will always be there as long as you live, to make you happy again.
Whenever you're feeling lonely
Janneke
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I find it so incredibly hard to rate books like these. Who am I to decide how good someone's life was? It's definitely something special that's for sure.
Epifania Rita Gallina
Absolutely iconic and a beautiful rendition.
Bookish Jo
Mar 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While I loved the illustrations and the beautiful imagery, I’ve read the original Diary of Anne Frank and did not feel like this did the story justice. Not appropriate for young readers either.
Anca
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

Although I love this story and am moved by the harsh reality of it every time, I just didn't care for the format to be honest.
Ari Folman is an Israeli film director, screenwriter and film score composer.

He witnessed the aftermath of the 1982 Sabra and Shatila massacre as a 19 year old Israeli soldier. This would serve as the basis of Waltz with Bashir. The film follows his attempt to regain his memories of the war through therapy as well as conversations with old friends and other Israelis that were present in Beirut aro