Start by marking “Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts (Spells & Caramels, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts (Spells & Caramels, #2)

Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts

(Spells & Caramels #2)

With the Summer Sea Carnival visiting the enchanted island of Bijou Mer, Imogen jumps at the chance to help run the royal bakery booth. It’ll get her out of the palace and allow her to continue avoiding her feelings for a certain engaged prince.

Imogen’s plans to lay low are shattered when the world-famous necromancer, Madame Zerna, is found dead, sawed in half on the dark
300 pages
Published May 21st 2019 by Self-published (first published October 8th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts

James
Another great cozy mystery from Erin Johnson with the second book, Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts, in the Spells & Caramels series. After I read the first book last year, I downloaded the second and third to read in between other ARCs and thrillers I had set for January and February. I need to balance the light and heavy, or I get bored/frustrated with too much of the same thing. It seems this series continues to deliver on quality, imagination and humor. I recommend it for anyone interested in cozy ...more
Gemma
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this series, now I'm listening to the audio books.

They are brilliantly well done, I love iggys voice so much.
Its been great going back over the series again, the impressions really match the character I had pictured from the books.

Really recommend these audio books.
✨ Gramy ✨
Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts
(Spells & Caramels #2)
by Erin Johnson (Goodreads Author)
Pages: 300

This is the second installment in the Spells and Caramels series by Erin Johnson, which is a strangely abnormal paranormal mystery that I am still trying to determine if I am interested in continuing or not. It has its positive attributes and then there are some negative aspects as well.

With the Summer Sea Carnival visiting the enchanted island of Bijou/>
Brenda
Imogen jumped at the chance to run the royal bakery booth at the summer sea carnival on Bijou Mer, if only to take her away from the royal duties and the Prince. Maple was learning to be head baker and was one of Imogen’s closest friends, so they had each other’s backs. While Iggy and Sam kept things running smoothly. But when Madame Zerna was found dead, Rhonda was arrested for her murder and other strange events kept happening, Imogen knew she had to find the killer before it was too late for ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This series really caught my attention with the first book - Seashells, Spells & Caramels. The series is a cross between our world and a magical world.

Imogen is a fascinating character because I try and imagine myself in her shoes - never knowing that I had magical powers and how to learn how to harness those powers and use them properly. Plus being in a land that has normal human tourists but is filled with various magical people and beings. But Imogen takes it all in stride.

Wi
Valerie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up.

I loved this book and even tho' it doesn't quite have that extra pizzazz to put it up to a 5-star rating, it's a solid 4.5 in my opinion.

I adore the characters in this series. Imogen, Maple, Iggy, and Hank have all become almost like friends to me and I really care about what happens to them and how they react to situations. Imogen's a little too impulsive for my personal taste, but she at least does slow down and think sometimes, just not all the time. I s
Lyssa Sue Shaffer
Yum

Tasty treats and brain food too! A fine mystery set before the members of the royal bakers. A lovely event leading up to their local version of Samhain. The fall festival when the walls between the worlds thin and we can share a meal with our recent dead at a graveside picnic.

Once again murder is afoot and the head constable is not the curious sort... grr.. bad constable no biscuit. Never fear Imogen is here with her trusty tribe of friends.
Angela James
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eek! I love a good mystery and this book did not disappoint! Magic and mayhem are a constant part of Imogen's new life and she's always smack dab in the middle of all the chaos and adventure. Never a dull moment and highly entertaining. I can not wait to see what's in store in her future. #NotSoPatientlyWaitingOnTheNextBook lol This authors book have quickly become a new addiction! One click now!
Shannon Binegar-Foster
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This second book in the series was even better than the first. Oh my gosh Iggy totally cracks me up. I love the dynamic between Imogen and Hank. I am looking forward to seeing what is next in book 3.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Lola
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
After reading book 1 I couldn't wait to return to this fun and magical series and a few days later I started book 2. Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts is just as fun as book 1, I flew through this book and enjoyed every page of it. It's such a fun series, filled with magic and mystery, great characters and a hint of romance.

This book nicely combines both the paranormal and mystery elements into an engaging story. I like how the mystery is a bit different from most cozy mysteries. Yes someone
Kristina
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2017
Cute story with engaging characters (especially Iggy the Flame). I felt the romance (flirting) was a little too prominent for my tastes. Overall, an entertaining story full of magic and action. I will post my complete review soon.
Stacie  Haden
It feels like you're reading a book meant for a 13 year old girl, but sometimes you want to read a book that feels like it's meant for a 13 year old girl.
Nina Silva
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
And the fun continues over in Bijou Mer.

I love it when an author creates a world that makes my travel bug act up.  I would love to explore the island of Bijou Mer in the day and would adore the opportunity to resist the bells and stay on the island after dark to mingle with the magic folk.

My favourite characters are all back to entertain.  Iggy, the flame, is slightly less surly but most comical, Maple is as sweet as ever but trying to assert herself, Hank is caught betwe
Jessica Robbins
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Jo King
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Fun, sassy, sweet jaunt through a magical land. Characters are lovable (and hate-able for the villains). A nice book for an afternoon read.
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What better way to avoid a prince then working at the Palace’s bake tent at the Summer Sea Carnival?
In Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts by Erin Johnson, the fun-loving and sometimes sassy characters from Seashells, Spells, & Caramels are back in the second installment of this brand-new cozy mystery series. Of course, along with the characters, we all know and love will have to deal with a crazy new mystery. They even find out a lot more than they bargained for. My favorite character
Bonnie Dale Keck
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kindle Unlimited, again, if they had half stars would have been a 4 1/2 because there are parts that contradict other parts plus some things which I saw coming, way back before came out in story line, but read a LOT of cozies so...and with all the same issues as book 1, dropping this one to 4 as well.

Charles Ray
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Summer Sea Carnival is coming to the magical island of Bijou Mer, and Prince Harry has decided that it would be nice if the royal bakery had a booth at this year’s festivities. Imogen Banks, witch-in-training and master baker, jumps at the chance to help run the booth, in order to avoid Prince Harry—Hank to her—because of her strong feelings for her being all complicated by the fact that he’s engaged to be married . . . to someone else.

Things quickly get out of hand when the fame
Maria
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imogen has started working at the royal bakery with her friend Maple and her fire Iggy, but it will not take long before they will be involved again in a threatening mystery. Of course, one of her friends will be the first suspect and Imogen will have to run to discover the truth before it's too late.

This book has brought our loved characters from the first book series to an interesting new adventure; Maple, Sam, Iggy, Hank... and with more humour, magic and delightful pastries we wi
Kitty Galore
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*THIS BOOK WAS GIVEN TO ME IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW*

In book 2 of the series, we find Imogen working along side her friend Maple in the Royal bakery and still avoiding Hank. Imogen and the gang decide to work a bakery booth at the carnival that visits Bijou Mer. Soon after things go left and Imogen is once again playing detective to clear Rhonda, the seers, name. Amongst all the commotion, Imogen finds someone to start teaching her how to use her powers as a swallow. In my opi
Frances
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts.

Hank/Harry, Maple, Sam, and Iggy are so much fun and each bring a different dynamic to Imogen's story
When we last saw them Imogen, Maple, Sam and Iggy won their places in the royal bakery. So we get to see the trials and tribulations of becoming the new royal baker and staff. When the Summer Sea Carnival comes to town it brings with it all kinds of surprises for Imogen, including another murder mystery.

Imo
Sabetha
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imogen, Maple, Sam and Iggy are back for another adventure! This is the second book in the series, but it is stand alone for the most part. By reading the first you will get more in depth information on the world Erin has created, and the characters but this book will stand alone if it is the first you are picking up.

Compared to book 1, this one reads more like a journal entry if that makes sense? There are more dives into Imogens head than the last book.

It does continue the story arc started
Diane ~Firefly~
A carnival is in town and they set up a baker's tent and then need to clear a friend from a murder charge.

What I enjoyed:
* Imogen is pretty cool, I'd like to be her friend. She finds a tutor this time, is trying to avoid the prince, investigating a murder all while working a bakery booth.
* Iggy, the magical flame is so sarcastic, but sweet underneath
* Maple is coming into her own, but remains an amazing friend
* The mystery was really good (view spoiler) ...more
Bobbi
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is such fun. Loved the characters from the first book and they are even more fun in this book. The town (or kingdom) is easy to imagine due to the artful way the book is written. The story is great fun and full of surprises. Had to keep reading to see what would happen next. Highly recommend this book to all cozy mystery lovers. Sure to entertain, this paperback was a real treat.
Arlene Arredondo
This tale keeps getting better and better.
Love the characters and funny situations. There are some grim components that are well balanced with a dash of humor.
The characters are well developed and unique in their own way.
Can wait to see what's next.
Janis Hill
I would like to thank the author Erin Johnson for gifting me with a free electronic copy of this book. She has done so only because I enjoyed the first book in this series and I can assure you this is still my own open and honest opinion and not something I’ve been paid (or bartered a book) to say.

Okay, so we know I am a lover of cosy crime with a bit of the supernatural… so being gifted ‘Black Arts, Tarts & Gypsy Carts’ (along with books 3 to 5 in this series) simply for really
Sapphyria
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Black Arts, Tarts, & Gypsy Carts is a great second book in Erin Johnson's Spells & Caramels cozy mystery series. Imogen has taken her place in the royal bakery next to Maple, the royal baker. When Prince Harry suggests the team set up a baking tent at the upcoming carnival, Maple jumps at the chance. Imogen is also excited because between the end of book one and the beginning of this book, she's done everything she can to avoid Prince Harry, and this will help her in her quest of Prince ...more
SS
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves funny paranormal cozies
The Royal baking staff is invited to open and run a baking booth at the Summer Sea Carnival in Bijou Mer. After assuring that the castle kitchens will be adequately staffed, Maple, Imogen, Sam, and some of the other bakers jump at the chance to spend some time away from the palace. In Imogen’s case, she’s hoping to put some distance between herself and Prince Harry.

Imogen must continue her magic studies, but doesn’t want the good prince to be her teacher. She finds that the carnival’
Erin Lewis
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Star review of Black Arts, Tarts and Gypsy Carts (Spells & Caramels #2) by Erin Johnson

Audio Review:

Erin Johnson is a relatively new author to me and I am so excited I found her. From the first to the last chapter I was fully invested in Imogen, her friends and her investigation. It’s a cozy mystery and one that I found thoroughly entertaining. This was so good that I was frustrated when real life stopped me from listening.

The narrator Hannah Somerville did a great job
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I received this book for free. I am voluntarily leaving this review and all opinions expressed herein are mine.

This is the second book in the Spells and Caramels series. It is a standalone book with no cliffhanger ending. While you can start here and enjoy the book, I would recommend that you start with the first book in the series [Seashells, Spells & Caramels] so that you can properly get to know Imogene and the other characters [plus it was a lot of fun!].

Here, the story star
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Baehrly Bitten (Goldie Locke and the Were Bears #2)
  • Nothing to Croak About (Silver Hollow #3)
  • Espresso, Cake, and Murder (Sweetland Witch #12)
  • Lifeline (The Bayou Secrets Saga, #2)
  • Black Opal (Peri Jean Mace #2)
  • Matt Archer: Monster Hunter (Matt Archer #1)
  • The Witch Next Door (Courtney Crumrin #5)
  • Christmas Spirit (The Middle-Aged Ghost Whisperer, #1)
  • Goblins
  • Vanished! (Framed #2)
  • A Witchy Business (Harper Grant Mystery #1)
  • The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswright, #2)
  • The Sweetest Kind of Fate (Windy City Magic, #2)
  • Southern Bound (Max Porter, #1)
  • From Mangia to Murder
  • A Whisper of Leaves
  • Playing with Fire (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #2)
  • Pointy Hats and Witchy Cats (The Rhinestone Witches, #1)
A native of Tempe, Arizona, Erin spends her time crafting mysterious, magical, romance-filled stories that’ll hopefully make you laugh.

In between, she’s traveling, napping with her dogs, eating with her friends and family, and teaching Pilates (to allow her to eat more).

Spells & Caramels (10 books)
  • Seashells, Spells & Caramels (Spells & Caramels, #1)
  • Mermaid Fins, Winds & Rolling Pins (Spells & Caramels, #3)
  • Cookie Dough, Snow & Wands Aglow (Spells & Caramels, #4)
  • Full Moons, Dunes & Macaroons (Spells & Caramels, #5)
  • Airships, Crypts & Chocolate Chips (Spells & Caramels, #6)
  • Due East, Beasts & Campfire Feasts (Spells & Caramels, #7)
  • Grimoires, Spas & Chocolate Straws (Spells & Caramels, #8)
  • Eclairs, Scares & Haunted Home Repairs (Spells & Caramels, #9)
  • Bat Wings, Rings & Apron Strings (Spells & Caramels, #10)