Start by marking “The Call of the Rift: Flight” as Want to Read:
The Call of the Rift: Flight

The Call of the Rift: Flight

(The Call of the Rift #1)

Philip Pullman meets Avatar in a new epic fantasy series

Seventeen-year-old Kateiko doesn’t want to be Rin anymore — not if it means sacrificing lives to protect the dead. Her only way out is to join another tribe, a one-way trek through the coastal rainforest. Killing a colonial soldier in the woods isn’t part of the plan. Neither is spending the winter with Tiernan, an im
Published April 3rd 2018 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about The Call of the Rift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Call of the Rift

Celine DePoitiers
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first sensation I had when I started reading Call of the rift: Flight, has been that there were too many nouns, like the author had wanted to explain too much in few pages. It made me struggle to understand all the relationships between the characters. In addition to this, the book is about a new and interesting mythology, which is a good thing, but added to the confusion of names in the first chapter, it made it hard for me at first to understand what this book was about.

Thankfully, after t
Shannon Odonovan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really love this. It's one of those few books I've finished and thought 'What do I do now? I have nothing left to read!' - while simulataneously looking at a pile I have yet to start.

It's a world that pulled me in and refused to let go. Flight opens in Anwen Bel, a place surrounded by wasteland, where the buried dead wash back up to shore. It's similar to our own with a rich history of conflicts and prejudices, and the cruelty of it reminds me of Game of Thrones at times. Thrones is clearly a
Lyon Rhodes
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not much of a fantasy fan. I don't go out of my way to read fantasy books or even watch fantasy movies. I read Harry Potter when I was a kid, but I never finished the series or the films (blasphemy, I know). I dabbled into Lord of the Rings and Eragon and the Sword of Truth, but ultimately found myself dissatisfied with how unrealistic they were. I consider Jae Waller’s Flight hard fantasy and after reading it, I was compelled to read A Song of Ice and Fire, which I found had a similar sober ...more
Lulai
Mar 16, 2018 added it
Shelves: arc
So after 3 days of reading and 50 % I decided to DNF this book.

I received it against a honest review by Edelweiss.

The thing is this book is not bad, the world building is quite interesting and well done. There is magic, a lot of history, and you know that the author did some research. I have American Native vibes while reading this book (sadly I don"t know if any of it is acurate)

The characters are not bad either, Kateiko is a strong female and independant women, which I like a lot.

Sadly, I wasn
Meigan
Review to come.

*Review copy provided by ECW Press in exchange for my honest opinion.
Jenny Ferguson
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF:

I was apprehensive to read a book that comps AVATAR but is supposed to come from the perspective of a young Indigenous teen. That's the first thing. And it ends up being the last thing too.

The second thing: this is marketed as Teen Fiction/YA but does not read like YA at all. Our first person narrator is 17, but only sounds seventeen in her dialogue. Her narrative reads like adult fiction. I mean, some teens will like this, but I found it difficult to sink into.

The third thing: I stopped re
Rhelna
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Boy, you thought YOU had problems as a teenager. Meet Kateiko, a native indigenous girl and water caller (think magic water powers), who is desperate to escape her dwindling clan (the Rin) and limited choice of husbands. Determination drives her from the shelter of the Rin and out into a world which is both stunning and terrifying. And that’s all before the previously dormant air spirit wakes up and makes everything ten times worse.

Flight is a fantastic coming-of-age fantasy with strong historic
Jae Waller
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hello! This book is an alt-historic fantasy that draws on lesser-known threads of Canadian history, so I (the author) am here to provide some context. It’s set circa the late 1600s in the early colonial period. You’ll meet three major cultures in this novel:

-the Aikoto Confederacy, based on the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest.
-Sverbians, based on Vikings who temporarily settled in eastern Canada circa 1000 AD.
-Ferish, based on Spanish conquistadors who explored western Canada possibl
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite books. The setting is immersive, the cultures are interesting, the characters are relatable, and the plotline leaves the reader wanting more. Finding fantasy books with all of these elements is hard enough, but I think what really sets Flight apart is the characters. They aren’t just your run-of-the-mill protagonists, who may be a bit dumb at times but overall do everything as well as they could. These characters are overwhelmingly human. They make really bad choices ...more
Annette Johnson
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, historical
Very detailed world-building with realistic characters. It was fun to read a setting I haven't explored before.
Melissa
Not for me.
Lilah Souza
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a captivating read!

While the beginning of the story was admittedly a bit slow, I was hooked once I got through the first third of it!

I’m not sure what exactly other reviewers on here mean by the whole “native people= magic” thing; there's actually more white people using magic than native people. Hell, the colonizers even have a whole university dedicated to studying it!

I also liked how each of the characters seemed to have layers to them; depth.

**Mild Spoiler** I’ll admit, after the story
G. Deyke
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimers: Jae Waller is an internet acquaintance of mine, with whom I became acquainted before reading the book. Also, I am not authorised to speak on the portrayal of the indigenous cultures in the book - particularly not to what extent the handling is appropriative/exploitative vs. respectful - and as a result I will be ignoring that aspect entirely. I will mention that colonialism is portrayed but not apparently condoned. I will also mention that while magic is not unique to any one cultu ...more
Kayla McGrath
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book creatively blends the known world of traditional fantasy and the less known mythology of First Nations culture.

“Flight” expertly captures the early colonization of Canada while adding in a well developed magic system, using both real and altered history. To avoid what’s been done before, settlers and natives alike are renamed to avoid stereotyping which is done quite successfully and to the authors advantage.

The magic system is well thought out and easily understood, the reader easily
Pat MacEwen
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a complicated fantasy set in a world very much like the Pacific Northwest during the first century after Contact. It makes excellent use of mythological themes and folklore drawn from indigenous tribes of the region. The heroine, Kakeiko, is an antayul, a water-bringer, who can draw water into or out of a wide variety of materials and sources, whether to put out a fire or dry wet clothing. She is also a shape-changer, as are all of her people, and that plays an important part in her effo ...more
lindsey
Aug 13, 2018 marked it as dnf
DNF at 48%

so. I really don't have much to say behind my decision.

I was expecting a really whimsical and amazing fantasy, but what I got wasn't really that. The writing's not terrible and I think Jae Waller is actually very talented and admirable for venturing into First Nations storytelling, but the thing with The Call of the Rift for me is that it falls flat. The story isn't very compelling and I realized I was forcing myself to read the book because I felt obligated to.
And that's not part of
Christine (Padfoot's Library)
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from ECW Press.

I don't often DNF books and if I do, I plan to revisit them at a later date.

I'm not sure if I will pick this up again because I really tried with this one. For something that is listed and sold as a Teen book, it didn't feel accessible like a teen book and I'm not usually one for high fantasy. The pacing was also incredibly slow and I found myself going back and trying to reread things because it couldn't hold my interest.
J Sallows
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I do not usually read fantasy books, they have to be very compelling. I found it difficult to get interested in the story, and found it hard to follow at times. I just lost interest and did not finish it.
My husband gave it a try and found the same. The overall plot looked interesting but it didn't work for me.
Ellabellabooks
Mar 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I second the review above about the gross colonialism and cultural appropriation. Magic indigenous people? Oh, wait, they are a fantasy race. That just happens to based on real events and real culture. Even if colonialism wasn't an ongoing and destructive force in the geographical area she "reimagines" this is in poor taste.

Indigenous cultures are not for white girls to fetishize.
Noah J
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, alt-history
not quite what I'd usually read, but my sisters persuaded me to and it was really good!
Maria Mitchell
Shelves: fantasy
Kelli
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-scify
DNF- It was a good premise but I didn't connect with any of the characters and couldn't bring myself to drag through the boring bits in the middle.
Rebecca Armstrong
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss
POSITIVES
+ World building

NEGATIVES
– Slow pacing

– Struggled with the new world

See full review: Uptown Oracle

S P
rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Updating book cover 5 25 May 11, 2018 03:05PM

• Love and Vandalism
  • How to Be a Writer
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend, #5)
  • Mallory Goes Green!  (Mallory McDonald, #13)
  • The End of All Things (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1c)
  • The Art of Picking Up Girls (and Other Dangerous Things)
  • The Ghost, The Owl
  • Stolen Futures: Unity, the Complete Trilogy
  • That Feeling When (#lovehim, #1)
  • The Seventh Level
  • Forsaken (Unit 51, #2)
  • Fearless Mating (A.L.F.A. #4)
  • When Red Cried Wolf (Happily Ever Asher, #1)
  • The Defense of Thaddeus A. Ledbetter
  • The Purloined Boy (The Weirdling Cycle, #1)
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • Rebellion's Fury (Flames of Rebellion #2)
  • The Last Newspaper Boy in America
Jae Waller was born and raised in a lumber town in northern British Columbia, Canada. She was involved in local punk music and didn’t plan to attend university. Inexplicably, she now has a BFA in creative writing and fine art from UNBC and Emily Carr University of Art + Design.

She also studied Japanese and French, and briefly attended UBC to study linguistics. Her life goal is to be quintilingual.
“Iannah stopped walking. “I have to do lots of things civilians don’t like. If it bothers you, leave. But my job is to keep the peace. Best way is to stab as few people as possible.” 0 likes
“You have to trust her before she will trust you,” Tiernan said. “Do not think about her previous rider. Horses have histories of their own.” 0 likes