Start by marking “The Furies” as Want to Read:
The Furies

The Furies

In 1998, a sixteen-year-old girl is found dead on school property, dressed in white and posed on a swing, with no known cause of death. The novel opens with this image, as related to us by the narrator, Violet, looking back on the night it happened from the present day, before returning to relate the series of events leading up to the girl’s murder.

After an acc
384 pages
Published January 2019 by Harperfiction

To ask other readers questions about The Furies, please sign up.
Kate Lakie It is about the Furies - the main characters are encouraged to become like them and take vengeance on the men who have wronged them. But it is left…moreIt is about the Furies - the main characters are encouraged to become like them and take vengeance on the men who have wronged them. But it is left for the reader to decide whether the girls achieve this through witchcraft or through murder... (less)
Leigh Kennedy It's a thriller but with elements of magic and the occult

karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!

The Secret History via Megan Abbott for a YA audience, The Furies is about teengirl rage and the revenge it engenders; a story of "…the brutal power of female friendship, of those secrets women share between themselves, in those moments men are too blind to see.”

female rage novels are, if you will permit me, all the rage right now, and, being a fan of ‘girls gone wild’ stories, i could not
Dannii Elle
The Secret History meets Girls on Fire meets The Graces.

"It seems that women are doomed to two fates. It is our lot to either be seen as unpredictable and irrational mortals, maligned and repressed by the actions of men; or sacred beings, goddesses of higher realm, among the Fates and Furies."

The Furies is yet another YA novel that focuses on the potential toxicity of female friendships. Quite honestly, those are all my buzzwords and I will devour anything on the topic, no matter how many seem
Tammy
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes, there is a dead student. Yes, there are four girls attending a private school. Yes, the loner is brought into the fold. Yes, they are misfits and chosen by their teacher for private instruction about the witchy history surrounding their school and the accompanying mythology. Yes, they attempt rituals, spells or what have you. Look a little closer and what this book is really about is feminine rage, unrealized female potential (and aggression when violated or wronged). I thoroughly enjoyed t ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sixteen-year-old-girl is found dead in a swing at her boarding school. It’s 1998. No one knows how she died. Rumors light up and spread like wildfire.

Well, actually, a few know what happened, but they aren’t talking. One student is particularly distraught.

Violet is a new student at the boarding school, Elm Hollow Academy, just one year earlier. Violet needs a new start, and this will be it; leaving her past behind. Like any other teen, she desperately wants to fit in th
Blair
(4.5) In a run-down seaside town somewhere in England lives Violet, an unhappy and isolated 16-year-old. She is the only survivor of a car crash that killed her father and little sister; in the aftermath, her mother withdraws into a numb state of grief, barely able to function. Violet's only desire is to escape. But a huge insurance settlement opens a different kind of door: Violet is to study for her A Levels at a private girls' school, Elm Hollow Academy.

There, she meets the girls who will be
Deanna
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Although I’m not big into witches or witchcraft etc., I was still really intrigued by this books description.

In 1998 a sixteen-year-old girl was found dead on the grounds of Elm Hollow Academy, an all-girls boarding school. She was dressed in white and posed sitting upright on a swing. No one knows exactly what caused her death. Not a single clue was left. It was as if her heart just stopped.

Violet’s father and younger sister were recen
Phrynne
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
This one was a bit half and half for me. There were things I enjoyed and things I did not but I still became totally engrossed in reading it especially when events speeded up in the later chapters.

I found the main characters to be a mixed bunch. Violet desperately needed to learn the word 'no' and Robin was just awful. Grace and Alex appeared to be more mature but they also had hidden depths! Much of the book was about girls being mean to girls which was a bit obvious and unpleasant.
megs_bookrack
Set at an all-girls boarding school on the outskirts of a sleepy, coastal town.

Dark, dangerous, violent.

You've hit all my buzzwords, St. Martin's Press!
Thank you for my ARC!!!

Excited to get to this one this weekend!
Tammie
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-lit
The Furies was a solid 3 stars.
The book centers around main character Violet-a teenager who attends Elm Hollow Academy (a private school for girls that was the site for the 17th century witch trials) soon after the death of her father and sister. While at the academy, Violet joins a study group with three other girls under the tutelage of Ms. Annabel-things definitely take off from there.
The Furies is a well-written and unique book that involves murder, magic, toxic friendships, and ritua
Katie B
I stepped a bit out of my reading comfort zone for this one and even though this wasn't a complete winner for me, I am glad I read it. Initially I had been concerned how much witchcraft was going to play in the story as that's not something I'm typically all that interested in. However, there really was a lot going on in the story besides that so I do believe this book has the potential to appeal to a wide variety of readers.

So the book starts off with the narrator talking about how
Liz Barnsley
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this. Without doubt the best book I’ve read featuring toxic female friendship since “Girls on Fire” – The Furies is haunting, evocative and sits in your head, that underlying sense of menace and anticipation resonates throughout.
Violet desperately wants friendship, even as she tells herself she doesn’t need it, so when she is befriended by the enigmatic and edgy Robin and drawn into a circle of secrets and lies, she will do anything to protect it. Darkness and obsession, fatal ties
Emma
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
As an exploration of girls gone bad, this does a decent job, but it feels like an echo. It's been done before and better. Definitely more The Craft than The Secret History, the book struggled to hit the depth of character or theme necessary for it to be truly absorbing. The characters were light: Violet's voice held little attraction, overwhelmed by the darker threads of her new best friend, Robin, and the others are straight out of every teen drama you've ever seen/read. The problem is that it' ...more
Susan
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are lots of novel with similar themes to this. An elite school, strange cliques of girls, and, as we know from the beginning, a death. It has been done before, but I have a weakness for novels about schools, female friendships and so those words do pull me in, however hard I try to resist.

It feels to Violet as though her life is put on hold after the death of her father, and sister, in an accident. Her mother seems unable to move beyond her grief and, taking advantage of her di
Louise Wilson
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
In 1998 a sixteen year old girl is found dead on school property, dressed in white and posed on a swing, with no known cause of death. Violet, looking back on the night it happened from the present day, before returning to relate the series of events leading up to the girls murder. After a accident involving her dad and sister, Violet joins Elm Hollow Academy, a private girls school in a quiet coastal town, which has an unpleasant history as the site of famous 17th century witch trials. Violet b ...more
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
DNF... I never give up on a book! This one started out as a slow burn so I turned to reviewers I could trust. Upon hearing there was an an “incident” with a cat... I am out. Too many books, too little time for that.

Thank you to the fantastic and generous St. Martin’s Press for this ARC. It just wasn’t for me😕
Ingstje
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
If I don’t hit it off with a novel right away – if I’m not feeling ‘it’ – it’ll be difficult to turn that feeling around and, unfortunately, that’s what happened when I started reading The Furies. The fact is that for some reason I didn’t take in some of the narrative in certain paragraphs and I had to go back and reread parts of the story. I believe the reason for this could be because of the lyrical and descriptive writing style and the plot didn’t really capture my attention after the – I mus ...more
Dennis
Typical YA novel, with a paranormal witchcraft undertones, The Furies will entertain those who enjoy Pretty Little Liars and Charmed. Katie Lowe's debut novel will have a strong following, but I didn't enjoy the story as much as I wanted to.

The Furies centers around Violet, a teenage girl sent to prestigious Elm Hollow Academy, and her interactions with her classmates. She immediately befriends a group of girls and her art teacher Annabel. As Violet's involvement with this new group of women grows, so does their de
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Thank you SO much to St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review! All opinions are my own!

The Furies by Katie Lowe is an atmospheric read set in a small coastal town at the end of the line. All the lines. Literally. It seems like a very depressed area that has a history of witch hunts and unexplained deaths/murders. At the heart is a school for girls, where Violet is a new student and she ends up falling in with an odd group of girls that are part o
Sheila
2 stars--it was OK. Warnings for sexual assault.

The good: This book is set in a girls' school, which I love, and includes a small secret society of students that study women in Classic literature. Awesome! It has a touch of the supernatural, and the overall theme--unstable, witchy teenage girls getting revenge on the (mostly) men who wronged them--is fascinating. Also, this is a quick read.

The bad: If you want to read about girls' toxic friendships, Megan Abbott does it better.
Elaine Mullane
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY, Katie Lowe!!

REVIEW

I am teetering somewhere between 4 and 4.5 stars with this one, for reasons I will explain, but I feel as bewitched (fitting) by this book now as I did by its premise when I first came across it.

Everything about teenager Violet's world is tinged with grey. She lives in a run-down seaside town somewhere in England. Her father and younger sister were recently killed in a car crash, from which Violet emerged as the only survivor. In the accid/>
Selena
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a free e-copy of The Furies by Katie Lowe from NetGalley for my honest review.

Violet, her Dad and sister are in a car crash that only she survives. Violet enrolls in Elm Hollow Academy, which is a private girls school in the town where she lives. She quickly realized that Elm Hollow has a horrible history of 17th century witch trials. She gets involved with a group of girls that introduce her to drugs and alcohol. Violet is excited to have this group of friends because she
Kristy
Violet joins Elm Hollow after the death of her little sister and father. It's a private girls school that has a history of magic and witchcraft thanks to an association with the 17th century witch trials. Violet finds herself drawn to three girls--Robin, Grace, and Alex. She becomes close with them, particularly Robin, and finds herself invited to an advanced study group led by their art teacher, Annabel, which goes into more depth about the witchcraft practiced at the school so long ago. The gi ...more
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Welp, I was so looking forward to reading this one. I kept hoping my wish (as I wished for this one) would be granted. And it did! However… it took me 3 days to finally get through this and it wasn’t easy at all. I had to force myself to read a certain amount so I could get through it without it taking to long.

What went wrong? Well, the blurb and the cover looked awesome. Boarding school? Sign me up! Murd
Sheri
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Furies, the four of us, taking revenge. The things that we could do, the power we possessed...

Our narrator, a sixteen year old girl with the rather unlikely sounding name of Violet, is the survivor of an accident which killed her father and sister. Her mother, endlessly trapped in grief, has more or less checked out of normal life; Violet, funded by the accident compensation, begins attending a private girls’ school, Elm Hollow, which she soon learns has a dark history of witchcraft a
Kendall
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unpopular opinion alert

I really was looking forward to diving into this book. It took me way to long to finish this book because I struggled so much. I almost had to force myself certain times to keep reading :(.

The characterization was extremely weak in my opinion and this story centers around that! Ugh... no thank you. The story borders on what am I reading to what the heck?

I was expecting The Craft vibes with the witchcraft but this was NOTHING like that. I don't think I was the right read
Susan Hampson
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Violet at 16 is a vulnerable and isolated young girl. Her father and sister died tragically in an accident and her mother simply can't cope with her own grief never mind Violet's. No-one else had seemed to want to take responsibility either so Violet was told to take however much time she needed off school until she felt better. Now tell a 15-year-old girl that and you just don't see them for dust.
Twelve months later exams had been taken and Violet had returned to school for them. She had
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is an okay read for me. I don't particularly like it much where Violet seems to be smart but do dumb things. She doesn't question why but follows blindly after Robin in her desperate need to have friends. The story for the most part, follows a 16 years old Violet but occasionally the story change it up to "as I look back" as if indicating that Violet is older and looking back to her first weeks of high school. There was no indication that the story was going to be told as a look back t ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thank you to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of THE FURIES by Katie Lowe in exchange for my honest review.***

A year after the death of her father and sister, Violet enrolls at an exclusive English girls’ school with a history dating back to witchcraft. Toxic friendships. Ancient rituals. Mythology. Magic. Supernatural? The power of suggestion?

THE FURIES has one of the best covers I’ve seen in recent memory. The cover alone should sell thousands of copie
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

3.5/5

CW: toxic friendships, death, murder, child abuse, sexual assault, and drug use

It started out sooo good! Then it all dovetailed away.

If you're going to read this, read it in one sitting. I read about 70% of it in one sitting and then I just stopped. I shouldn't have. I should have finished it in that day because I totally lost the thread and impact of the story, which means I rated it lower than I would have li/>CW:/>
Carol
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
During the 90's a young girl is found dead on her boarding school's property - Elm Hollow Academy. The author takes us back to the events leading up to the discovery of this young girl. Elm Hollow Academy has a connection to 17th century witch trials; a professor, Annabel, takes four students under her wing to study this history. The girls begin to believe that the magic is real. We follow Violet, who is new to the school, and becomes a part of Annabel's classes. She is sucked into the mystery o ...more

• Secrets of a Sun King
  • Proud
  • What Red Was
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • Little Eve
  • A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • Red Snow (Tuva Moodyson Mystery, #2)
  • No Tomorrow (Killing Eve, #2)
  • De värnlösa (Häxmästaren, #7)
  • The Woolly Hat Knitting Club
  • Mr Peacock's Possessions
  • Greyfriars House
  • The Heavens
  • Rotten Row
  • Encounters
  • Shuri (2018-) #1
  • Shadow Man
Katie is a writer living in Worcester, UK.

A graduate of the University of Birmingham, Katie has a BA(Hons) in English and an MPhil in Literature & Modernity, and is returning to Birmingham in 2019 to commence her PhD in female rage in literary modernism and contemporary women's writing.

The Furies is her first novel.
“In the face of murder, all life seems thrilling, all chaos and potential.” 1 likes
“Every breath, every moment, possessed with an illusion of glamor, of filthy decadence, purely because it was ours, we two our own radical world, a star collapsing inward and bursting, gorgeous, in the dark.” 1 likes