Start by marking “Little Flower” as Want to Read:
Little Flower

Little Flower

Little Flower chronicles the unique bond shared by two damaged souls: Sister Shanti, a mischievous, elderly nun from Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity, and Meeta, a young prostitute with dreams of a life lived outside the brothel. Thrown together when a young man they love is murdered, they embark upon a darkly comic journey through New Delhi’s underbelly in a search ...more
Published December 7th 2017 by Dispatch Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Little Flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Flower

Start your review of Little Flower
Pam Davis
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished the book “Little Flower” by Ted Oswald. The author is a word smith that brings into biting reality the world of India’s ‘underbelly’. He paints human faces on the country’s sex worker industry and the charity workers who reach out to the helpless and hopeless.
It isn’t a love story, although love is a driving force in the book.
It is a mystery, a who-done-it. The inclusion of an invisible pope (sans his entourage ) and the author’s conversations with this pope are distracting - b
Ruth
Nov 14, 2017 added it
I received an early-release copy, and I hope to put up a fuller review after the release date. For now I will say that the story surprised me *several* times and that this book is another truly immersive experience from Oswald.
Tom Hailand
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Ted's books so far and think he is improving with time. The messages in his stories are beautiful and he has a real talent for literature, keep up the good work Ted! ...more
Michael B Roth
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Little Flower is a great read. It features a vivid setting, well-developed nuanced characters, moving relevant themes, and an unique style- the whole book is written as a letter from the narrator to the Pope. I was hooked right from the beginning and enjoyed it all the way to the end.
Savio Sebastian
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, fiction
This is a story of how our wickedness destroy the lives of many and how change happens slowly bringing redemption to both the victim and victimizer through forgiveness and love.

At the end of the day, resting in the fact that we all are children of God and in him we will find the courage to fight as well as the courage to also rest knowing that there is forgiveness, peace and meaning while we live a seemingly meaningless life.
Charissa
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ted has a knack for drawing the reader in with suspense, plot twists, and rich details. As with his previous novels, I enjoyed the language and culture he weaves in to the story that add depth and texture. He has a humble way of incorporating themes of justice and equity.
It took me a little bit to get drawn in, partly because of chapter format and narration, but I was drawn back to the plot again and again and really glad I saw it through to the end.
Rituparna
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Little flower is about the journey of two women thrown together in their search to find the murderer of a man they both loved! It sounds like a familiar story, right? it is NOT.

This is a journey of an unlikely pair, a Nun (Sister Shanti), and a prostitute (Meeta), where they discover much more than just the murderer and get embroiled in a larger pursuit. I am moved by how every character has a story and, is knowingly or unknowingly, waiting for some sort of redemption. The suspense and the plot
Michele
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is unlike any other book I have ever read. It is written as a letter--a MASSIVE conversational letter to Pope Francis from a Nun who wants Sister Shanti to be canonized. She takes the Pope verbally through all that went on--the good, the bad, and the ugly. But in a way that does not offend and at times was quite comical as the Unlikely pair of Nun (Sister Shanti) and the prostitute (Meeta) attempt to locate a boy they both loved (obviously in different ways!). The truths and lies they uncov ...more
Teri Hannan
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-solo
This book took me a very long time to get into. I felt like the style was jolting or choppy. But once I settled into the story I really enjoyed it. And I will admit that the last third of the book completely surprised me. I absolutely love how the author ties things up. What a story of redemption. It’s a hard story and takes a bold look at many of the ways humans hurt humans or cope with their own pains and shames.
Jennifer K.
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant surprise

This book is not my usual cuppa tea. It has a good mystery, has a lot of lessons of life and It is inspiring. Though it is fiction i sure that a great deal of it is based in truths of life. If you will want a book that will suck you in and leave you feeling good at the end this book is for you.
Linda
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Last read of 2017....not sure I grasped the entirety of the book, there was so much happening, that I was unfamiliar with. But...what a vocabulary...that alone gets 4 stars. Keep reading...it all comes together in the last chapter. Pay attention to the beginning, it is important and I think I took it too lightly, I had to go back and read it again.
Blair Quinius
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful. The author challenges me to love on a deeper level.
Sheila Cronin
This novel exceeded my expectations. I look forward to reading more from this author.
B.J.Green
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So disjointed in more than one area

Would not recommend reading this book
Some characters were hard to follow appearing early in the story and no mention of them until the end.
Dionaea
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: free-kindle, mystery
A nun and a prostitute try to figure who murdered the prostitute's lover in India. Oswald throws in some twists in the book to try to keep it interesting but I don't know if the twists are enough to carry to book. ...more
Liz
Jane Percival
Sep 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Separated: Inside An American Tragedy
  • Adventuring Together: How to Create Connections and Make Lasting Memories with Your Kids
  • The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know About Raising Confident, Capable Kids
  • There's No Such Thing as Bad Weather: A Scandinavian Mom's Secrets for Raising Healthy, Resilient, and Confident Kids (from Friluftsliv to Hygge)
  • Kisses from Katie
  • The Expectant Father: The Ultimate Guide for Dads-to-Be
  • Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • The Ungrateful Refugee
  • 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
  • Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
  • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
  • The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country
  • Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion & Truth in the Immigration Debate
  • A Beginner's Guide to Free Fall
While a law student, Ted Oswald lived in Port-au-Prince and worked in Cité Soleil, where he became deeply invested in the community and met the feisty young girl who served as the inspiration for his character Libète. Because We Are: A Novel of Haiti is his first novel.

To connect, please visit www.tedoswald.com.

To download a free group discussion guide for Because We Are, click here.