Jump to ratings and reviews

The Bad Mother

That’s what he wants you to think…

417 pages, Kindle Edition

First published December 14, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Amanda Brooke

17 books256 followers
Amanda Brooke lives in Liverpool with her teenage daughter, Jessica. When her three-year-old son died from cancer, Amanda was determined that his legacy would be one of inspiration. Yesterday's Sun is inspired by her experiences of motherhood.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
179 (10%)
1 star
73 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 257 reviews
Profile Image for Paromjit.
2,502 reviews24.5k followers
December 25, 2017
Amanda Brooke spins a chilling tale in this tense psychological thriller. A pregnant Lucy wants to be a good mother as her world begins to crumble. She is expecting soon but her mind is all over the place. It would appear that her hormones are going haywire and she is suffering from what is commonly referred to as 'baby brain'. However, it seems to be more than that as things start veering towards the dangerous. Her husband, Adam, keeps telling her stuff, but she just cannot remember. Lucy is battling her past, so is this normal or is there something darker behind her memory loss? It soon becomes transparently obvious to the reader what is going on. A confused, fearful, isolated and vulnerable Lucy faces an increasingly menacing set of events. A suspenseful read that is packed with tension as you will Lucy to open her eyes to what is taking place. This is an enjoyable, entertaining and well written psychological thriller that has you desperate to know how it all ends. Many thanks to HarperCollins for an ARC.
Profile Image for Lou (nonfiction fiend).
2,771 reviews1,624 followers
January 15, 2018
The Bad Mother is a terrifying psychological thriller that really hit the mark for me. It caught my attention due to the storyline - it sounds like a situation that could realistically happen and a nightmarish one at that. We all know that being pregnant and/or a new mother can cause some problems but luckily they are usually short-term. We have all heard of so-called 'baby brain' - the phenomenon we blame for certain uncharacteristic behaviours we don't want to take ownership of. In The Bad Mother Brooke knows how to utilise the phenomenon in order to make everything appear innocent but it is far from it! All the confusion, forgetfulness and stress is not what it seems and the story becomes decidedly dark and threatening. As you can see from the synopsis directly below it certainly grabs your attention!

At least, that what he wants you to believe…

The narrative is alarming and addictive from beginning to end. I feel the story is rather unique and differs from the usual thriller novel which is a real bonus, I love that about it. I enjoyed this a lot and would definitely read any books Amanda Brooke decides to pen in the future. I hope she manages to keep the narrative unique in any other books.

I would like to thank Amanda Brooke, HarperCollins UK - HarperFiction and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Pauline.
720 reviews
December 16, 2017
The Bad Mother by Amanda Brooke is a psychological thriller about a married couple awaiting the birth of there first child. Lucy is anxious and confused because she is getting very forgetful and blames her hormones for this. Her husband is worried that she will be unable to copy with the new baby. Their situation rapidly goes downhill and this story becomes dark and alarming and things are not what they seem. I would like to thank NetGalley and Harper Collins UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for  Li'l Owl.
398 reviews231 followers
August 6, 2019
'A good mother doesn't forget things.
A good mother isn't a danger to herself.
A good mother isn't a danger to her baby.'
But you're not.
You're the bad mother you were destined to be.

At least, that's what he wants you to think.

I'll start by saying that was a difficult book for me to read. As a result, it's a difficult book for me to review.

First, The Bad Mother by Amanda Brooke contains all the hallmarks of a great novel and that fact never waivers from start to finish. It's brilliantly written and the raw emotions that the story evoked in me is a testament to that. The brutal reality felt like it could have been based on a true story, expertly transformed into a work of fiction.

So what's the problem? Why only 3.75★'s?
To be honest and very blunt, I hated how it made me feel.
Bare with me and I'll try to explain.

It's a bit of a catch 22 for me. The writing of a great author is getting the reader to engage with the characters. I did engage with Adam, even though I don't usually use the term in a negative light as I am here. I hated him. I loathed his character. My anger grew to fury the further I went into the book. I wanted to reach into the book and strangle Adam. It's how I felt about him from the very beginning.
If I hadn't been drawn in by his character it's unlikely that I would have reacted so strongly, so harshly to him.

As much hatred as I felt for Adam, I felt the opposite for Lucy. I wanted to whisk her away from the poison Adam was dishing out. I wanted to save her all the emotional torment she was having to endure. I was never sure why she was having empty spaces in her memory. Why she continued to have things happen that she couldn't remember doing? Is 'baby brain', usually that severe? I had my suspicions that it wasn't Lucy who was to blame, though. But I didn't know what was really happening. Not for sure.

On a personal note, perhaps it's because I've been on the receiving end of this kind of toxic behavior. It's startlingly easy to fall for this kind of abuse. Trust me when I say that. I'm a strong, independent, educated, self sufficient, and kind person. Just like Lucy. But when your whole world revolves around one person, someone you love. Someone who's tricked you into believing that they love you back, that they will care for you, keep you safe. That's what Lucy believes of Adam. And why not?
It's only when something finally snaps into place that you figure out that you are wrong. So very wrong.
This isn't meant to be a biography about me but it's the only way I can express why I had such a negative reaction to this story. The Bad Mother hit a nerve. Point blank.
I didn't enjoy the fury that I felt towards Adam. Nor did I enjoy the frustrating, helpless feeling I had of being unable to help Lucy. To save her and her baby. I know it's fiction. But many great authors make it seem otherwise.

So why did I continue to read it? Simple.
I couldn't give up on Lucy and her baby.
I had to find out how it ended. Good or bad I was all in. When and how would Lucy figure out what was happening to her? Would she discover the truth before something horrific happens? Before it's too late? Past the point of no return? No, I couldn't put it down because I couldn't get to the end soon enough. I had to know what would become of Lucy and her baby?

In the end, I'm very glad I finished it.

I do recommend it. Definitely. But be warned that this is a tense, emotional read. It's a psychological masterpiece and Amanda Brooke should be commended for creating it!

So my 3.75★ rating is a reflection that rests with me, alone.
Profile Image for Lisa.
726 reviews
February 20, 2018
Lucy is looking forward to the impending birth of her daughter but is extremely aware of her recent forgetfulness occasionally dangerously so but she blames it on baby brain she even forgets what her husband Adam is telling her, the fear of becoming a mum terrifies Lucy.
BUT IS IT LUCY's FORGETFULLNESS OR IS it SOMEONE TRYING TO GET INSIDE HER HEAD?

I will leave this short as I don't want to give away any spoilers which can easily be done in this novel, I will say it was a slow burn but as the chapters went on it got me hooked & you could feel the tension building chapter by chapter, I went into this novel without any high expectorations but boy wasn't I surprised it just kept me turning the pages I wanted to find out more about Lucy & the lengths she went to protect Ava.
This was a Psychological thriller that kept my attention & was a page turner, as I said it starts slow but believe me it picks up very quickly.

The ending was frantic I had my jaw on the floor & I wasn't sure how it would end.
Profile Image for Louise Wilson.
2,627 reviews1,606 followers
December 18, 2017
A good mother isn't a danger to her baby. A good mother isn't a danger to herself. You want to be a good mother. But your not. You're the bad mother you were destined to become.

This is a gripping edge of your seat read that's a tense roller coaster ride, full of suspense, even though the reader of the book can see where this is going. This is a quick page turning read but it still messed with all my emotions.

I would like to thank NetGalley, HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction and the Amanda Brooke for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kayla Jefferson.
50 reviews3 followers
August 22, 2021
This book was very obvious from the beginning that it was going to be about mental and coercive abuse. I didn’t find the story overly interesting i was mainly angry at all the people that saw and guessed what was happen but didn’t do anything about it just let it carry on happening. There wasn’t really any character building just 400+ pages of how ‘mental’ and ‘forgetful’ Lucy was and how she was soooo dangerous to be around her baby that she wasn’t allowed to be alone with her until you know her husband ostrosized his and her family out of their lives and then she was more than capable to deal with the baby alone (even tho he’d told her over and over again that she couldn’t cope and wasn’t trusted to be alone with the baby). At the end she kills him which was very obvious she was going to do
Profile Image for Ova - Excuse My Reading.
470 reviews349 followers
January 23, 2018
Lucy is pregnant with her first child, and married with the man she loves. But she is troubled. She forgets things, misplaces them, and although people around her says it should be the 'baby brain' she is unsure. She is stressed if she is going to be able to look after the baby when she comes..
The whole book is around this subject and it's very dialogue heavy. It is not a bad one, however it felt to me that it could have been shorter. Some events and dialogue felt repetitive. Lucy and her husband mostly discuss same things, so as her mum and her. It is not a surprise ending book, a frequent suspense reader will pick up what's going on pretty quickly. However it keeps you going until the end.
Thanks to Harper Collins UK and NetGalley for an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Rachael.
131 reviews49 followers
July 19, 2020
Oh for goodness sake, you’re told the entire plot in the title and tagline on the front cover! Don’t read this expecting a plot twist or a book where half the pages aren't superfluous.
Not to mention:
How disappointing.
Profile Image for Mandy White (mandylovestoread).
1,933 reviews483 followers
December 21, 2017
Lucy feels like she is losing her mind but puts it down to baby brain. Things just seem to get worse and her husband Adam is not exactly supportive.

I figured out what was going on very early on but still enjoyed this book. It was a page turner and I was just waiting for Lucy to fight back!

Thanks to Harper Collins UK via Netgalley for a copy of this book to read and review.
Profile Image for Ailsa.
450 reviews4 followers
February 11, 2018
This is four hundred pages of the worst husband in the world clearly gaslighting his poor wife Lucy into thinking she’s going insane. There’s no suspense because it’s apparent to the reader - literally from the text on the front cover - that Adam is the one convincing Lucy that she’s the one misremembering things and leaving the oven on. It’s just a question of when she’ll realise and what happens when she does.
April 8, 2018
WARNING: This review includes spoilers.

The Bad Mother is apparently Amanda Brooke’s eighth novel and is promoted as a psychological thriller when in actual fact it would be more apt to describe it as women’s fiction of the very lowest quality. Lacking in any element of creative thought and iota of originality this is a pathetically obvious portrayal of the transparent attempts by husband, Adam, to manipulate his new wife, Lucy, into doubting her own sanity. Astoundingly, given the four hundred pages of stultifyingly banal “action” that follows, the phenomenon of gaslighting is all new to Lucy, who goes from a crowd-surfing festival going and headstrong twenty-eight-year-old single woman to a pathetically obedient and whimpering wreck over the course of the novel.

The topic of gaslighting has been wrung dry in fiction and film and The Bad Mother adds absolutely nothing new to the genre. The characterisation is offensively weak with there being no credible illustration of Lucy slowly changing from a strident career woman to an obedient and unstable wet rag. Lucy’s career of portraiture, preferably animals (yawn) and the symbolic references she adds to the background of her paintings are her trademark (snore). In the case of Ralph, the dog, these excitingly include the slippers of his returning master and the window where he watches for his return. Mind-numbingly vapid stuff to say the least, so imagine four hundred pages of it!

Any savvy reader will quickly see through the flimsy charade of Adam trying to use first ‘baby brain’ and then post-natal depression as a means of latching on to Lucy’s vulnerabilities. That there is an element of truth to many of the incidents allows an eight years older Adam to turn his arguments into a weapon for abusing his wife and destroying ever ounce of her confidence. As he out-talks and manipulates Lucy and those around him by presenting himself as the victim and isolating the couple from family and friends, he simultaneously uses Lucy’s father’s suicide to indicate an apparent predisposition towards depression. I had hoped Adam’s half-brother, Scott, was going to add a spark to what unravels but apart from making a cameo at the quarter point mark of the novel he is kept removed from the majority of the action.

Disappointingly there is no attempt by Brooke to tap into the motivations underlying Adam’s manipulative personality and as such, I finished the novel feeling oddly unsatisfied because of the wider issues it failed to address. Whilst I hung on for the denouement in the hope of something more to come (it didn’t), I took nothing away from the experience of reading and wish Amanda Brooke had even attempted to broach Adam’s reasons for his treatment of Lucy.

Lacklustre, lacking in originality and about three hundred pages too long. Undoubtedly the first and last novel by Amanda Brooke that I endure.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Ruthy lavin.
421 reviews
July 18, 2018
You know when you start a book that you’ve been excited to read and it doesn’t get off to a great start, but you persevere because you’re sure it’s going to get better, then you consider giving up half way through because it’s damper than a wet squid, but you’re sure it will finish with a firework worthy ending, but it turns out to be a completely underwhelming experience?? That was this book.
Just barely scratched 2 stars and for me it was a complete 😩
Disappointing and only scored 2 stars because I finished it.
Profile Image for Natalie.
79 reviews18 followers
March 9, 2018
If you don’t want to be really annoyed then DON’T buy this book!! So nearly gave up on this, it’s not particularly good definitely preferred The Affair!! The storyline and chapters dragged like hell and it just wasn’t strong enough, kind of felt like an amateur debut.
Profile Image for Eva.
794 reviews416 followers
December 14, 2017
Lucy is pregnant with her first child. This should be a time of pure joy and excitement but it’s anything but for Lucy and her husband, Adam. Because Lucy is becoming increasingly forgetful. She forgets conversations or turning off the gas hob and often loses or misplaces things. Surely this can’t all be blamed on baby brain?

It’s actually quite obvious from the start what’s going on, which I’m going to assume was the point. Many times I felt like grabbing Lucy by the shoulders, urging her to open her eyes and realise the truth. As it is, this story offers a fascinating insight with realistic and believable characters and it’s utterly terrifying! It’s incredibly devastating to even try and imagine what it must be like to feel so lost and confused all the time.

From the opening page, Amanda Brooke had me on the edge of my seat. This is one amazingly gripping story and I couldn’t flip the pages fast enough to see where things were headed. It’s a tense ride, full of suspense. I got incredibly invested in it and went through a whole gamut of emotions. From frustration and anger to sadness and disbelief.

While I thought the conclusion was completely satisfying, I can’t help but feel I needed more answers. More of an explanation as to the “why” of it all, even though I fully accept there isn’t a reason most of the time. All in all, a brilliantly executed, well-paced, chilling and highly addictive psychological thriller that had me hooked from start to finish!
Profile Image for Melanie.
203 reviews38 followers
July 4, 2018
God I hated this book. There’s absolutely no plot or suspense whatsoever since the entire story is essentially given away in the description. You’re then left with 400+ pages of the same thing happening over and over again, a main character that’s incredibly naive and unlikeable, and another who mimics a Disney villain. I almost DNF this so many times; I really need to make it a goal of mine to not suffer through a story that isn’t working for me. If it wasn’t obvious, I don’t recommend this one.
Profile Image for Susan Hampson.
1,522 reviews55 followers
December 19, 2017
What begins as laughable situations where Lucy misplaces car keys and forgets bits of conversations soon escalates the further into her pregnancy she gets. It seems that each week she becomes more apprehensive and forgetful. Lucy’s mum is quick to dismiss it as ‘baby brain’ due to the imbalance of hormones, which she says will clear up not too long after the baby is born. Lucy isn’t too sure especially after leaning about some of her family history. The thing is if she raises her concerns with her doctor will he have her baby taken away?
Her once supportive husband is losing patience as the weeks go by and he is trying to deal with his own estranged family. Apprehension is quickly becoming terrifying and forgetulness a real danger.
This is one wicked story and ok you get the feeling of what is happening from the blurb but it doesn’t change the apprehension that I felt. Lucy’s fear and frustration just jumps off every page and as her problem gets bigger her world becomes smaller.
Amanda Brooke, the author, just nailed the characters in this story. The build up was perfect, I at times doubted my own judgement of the people in the story. Loved how both Lucy’s and Adam’s pasts came to haunt them, it really did put the cat among the pigeons.
This is quite a dark topic and one that sort of creeps up on a person without them knowing that it is happening, that is the terrifying thing. The mind tries to make sense of situations and sometimes it fights what is plain to see with outsiders but feelings muddy the water. I truly enjoyed this book from cover to cover.
I wish to thank Netgalley and the publisher Harper Collins UK for this book which I have honestly reviewed.
Profile Image for Lou (nonfiction fiend).
2,771 reviews1,624 followers
January 15, 2018

At least, that what he wants you to believe…

I would like to thank Amanda Brooke, Harper Collins UK - HarperFiction and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Laura.
676 reviews98 followers
October 29, 2018
This had all the hallmarks of a great domestic based psychological thriller; the writer is clearly adept at creating tension and drama but as the storyline developed, it all felt a bit soap opera for me. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the book, but I felt it could have been better delivered.

Lucy is heavily pregnant and slowly losing her mind, or so she thinks. Perhaps the biggest issue I had with this book is that the synopsis gives the whole game away so there isn’t much room for speculation on the readers part. The book also begins with a glimpse into the stories climax, something I am yet to decide if I appreciate as a reader.

There are several supporting characters within the storyline that could have been better, it felt as if they were woefully under used. Lucy is a bit of a sad protagonist, she’s naive and vulnerable and rather immune to what is going on around her, but I couldn’t help but feel sorry for her. If just a few tweaks were made, I would have considered this a four star book. Otherwise, it just falls short, but I would still read this author again as her talent as a fiction writer is obvious.
Profile Image for Jess The Bookworm.
480 reviews84 followers
July 28, 2019
Lucy is pregnant with her first child. Her husband, Adam, and her have had a whirlwind romance and she's so in love with him.

But lately, she's become very absent minded, forgetting where she put things, leaving the stove on, forgetting whole conversations.

She starts to wonder what it'll be like when her baby arrives. Adam starts to think she'll be a danger to their baby. Does she just have "baby brain" or is there some more sinister reason for her carelessness?

The story follows Lucy as she starts to spiral out of control.

A page turner of a thriller, but a very predictable one.
609 reviews7 followers
December 22, 2017
When strange things begin happening to Lucy, she thinks she is suffering from 'baby brain'. She is becoming forgetful and absent minded and is frightened she is turning into her father who killed himself due to mental illness. She has not long been married to Adam, and her mother frequently tells her he is a 'good one'. However, could the cause for her lapses in memory and concentration be more sinister?
This book was very readable and I raced through it quickly, but I don't feel it offered anything very original. There were glimpses of the woman Lucy had been before she married Adam, and I just couldn't understand why she had let herself become so insecure. I would like to have read some scenes from Adam's perspective to understand why these things were happening, I felt like the reader never really found out a motive for what was going on.
Profile Image for Maggie.
1,541 reviews32 followers
January 7, 2018
Lucy & Adam are expecting their first baby. Lucy, a gifted artist is looking forward to being a mum and hopes that she will able to continue to paint after her baby is born.

At first it is little things, mislaying keys, not locking the door, leaving things switched on that Lucy's mum puts down to 'baby brain' sure that once the baby is here she will be her old capable self. Adam is more concerned. He worries that Lucy will endanger herself and their child. Before long Lucy is second guessing herself worrying that she has inherited a mental condition- her father having committed suicide when she was a child.

Things do not improve after the baby is born. She finds scary gaps in her memory, Adam doesn't trust her to be alone with the child and she is cut off from her mother after a row. Is there any way out of this nightmare apart from the one her father chose?

This is a really gripping story. I couldn't put it down. Definitely five stars- thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for introducing me to this author.
Profile Image for Antonio.
243 reviews1 follower
February 11, 2018
Iv’e never heard of the term Gas-lighting before reading this book, but the story almost makes me an expert.
Gas-lighting is a form of abuse that Lucy the pregnant main character endures because she loves her husband Adam, she trusts everything he has to say, and he thinks she will be a bad mother when her child is born.
‘And boy does she suffer’.
I shouted at Mr Kindle a few times and once he ended on the other side of the room after taking a flying lesson, and if i could have been written into this story, i would have shoved Adam’s Gas-lighting right up his pipe.
Profile Image for Glynis.
552 reviews14 followers
January 5, 2018
An addictive read which kept me up to the early hours shouting at the book. The reader will be on a knife edge staring over the cliff but don’t jump!

With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for my ARC.
Profile Image for Lynn.
531 reviews11 followers
February 11, 2018
I enjoyed this book although I felt the description made it sound more mysterious and intriguing than the story actually was. I loved the whole idea behind it but the main character annoyed me and I just wanted her to wise up to what was happening. Still an enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Sheri.
600 reviews18 followers
June 27, 2018
The plot of The Bad Mother is pretty simple: Lucy, an artist, is married to Adam and they are expecting their first child. But all is increasingly not as it should be - Lucy’s forgetting things, a lot of things, and she can’t put it all down to “baby brain”. Things get worse fast and it’s not long before Lucy’s confidence is completely destroyed.

It’s obvious almost from the start that Adam is a gaslighting bad ‘un and I was frustrated that Lucy couldn’t see how he was constantly undermining and manipulating her - even convincing her she is capable of terrible things. He’s really not that subtle; even when he’s being “nice”, the way Adam speaks to Lucy is intolerable and I wouldn’t put up with it for five minutes. Having said that, she’s pregnant, vulnerable, relatively young (late 20s) and naturally enough, heavily invested in the relationship with her new husband. It would take a lot for her to walk away and Adam wraps his emotionally abusive behaviour up in the guise of care and concern. Still, he’s a textbook abuser in many ways - discouraging her from working and seeing friends, continually undermining her confidence and causing her to doubt her own perceptions.

Angry as I felt at Adam’s behaviour I felt almost as angry with Lucy at times, willing her to wake up, stop the grovelling apologies for things that aren’t her fault, and grow a backbone. She seems almost wilfully determined not to see what’s under her nose and there’s nothing he can do which she won’t make excuses for and blame on herself. The longer this went on (and it’s quite a long book), the more annoyed I got. I carried on reading largely in anticipation of a point at which Lucy would finally discover some agency and stand up for herself. I was desperate for this to happen.

The Bad Mother is a good read and strong on the mother/daughter bond (thank goodness for Lucy’s mum Christine, who was great). However I did find it unrealistic that Lucy, who considered herself a “strong, confident woman”, was quite so easily manipulated and reduced. Adam’s motivations, and the reasons why he is the way he is, are never really clear. I did enjoy reading it though and looked forward to getting back to it every time, so four stars from me.
Profile Image for Natalie  all_books_great_and_small .
1,977 reviews69 followers
October 5, 2019
This is the first Amanda Brooke book I have read and I am desperate to read more!
This book was cleverness and cunning at its best. It makes you question things and had me leafing back pages to check things as it had my mind tripping along with Lucy's.
This book is one of the best thrillers I've read this year and is a book I will ponder over for a long time.
A must read!
Profile Image for Liz.
575 reviews23 followers
May 12, 2018
Brilliant! The subject matter makes this an unsettling book to read but so compelling as well - a bit like watching a horror movie from behind a cushion! The author creates and builds the suspense and tension with great skill. I could only read a few chapters at a time and then needed a breather but found myself itching to pick it up again. Superb characterisation too - totally believable!
Profile Image for Alison Lindsay.
17 reviews
April 18, 2018
I really enjoyed this book. On the whole a great page turner that was easy to read. Only slight niggle where I felt storyline or character was especially weak in parts. And one piece of bad dialogue near the end that didnt fit with the rest of the book. First book from this author and I'd definitely read more.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 257 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.