Start by marking “The Bad Mother” as Want to Read:
The Bad Mother

The Bad Mother

That’s what he wants you to think…

A good mother doesn’t forget things.

A good mother isn’t a danger to herself.

A good mother isn’t a danger to her baby.

You want to be the good mother you dreamed you could be.

But you’re not. You’re the bad mother you were destined to become.

At least, that what he wants you to believe…

Published December 14th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Mother, please sign up.
Anna Maria In my opinion nowhere near as good. Hence my 3 stars I was very disappointed.

Start your review of The Bad Mother
Paromjit
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amanda Brooke spins a chilling tale in this tense psychological thriller. A pregnant Lucy wants to be a good mother as her world begins to crumble. She is expecting soon but her mind is all over the place. It would appear that her hormones are going haywire and she is suffering from what is commonly referred to as 'baby brain'. However, it seems to be more than that as things start veering towards the dangerous. Her husband, Adam, keeps telling her stuff, but she just cannot remember. Lucy is ...more
Lou
The Bad Mother is a terrifying psychological thriller that really hit the mark for me. It caught my attention due to the storyline - it sounds like a situation that could realistically happen and a nightmarish one at that. We all know that being pregnant and/or a new mother can cause some problems but luckily they are usually short-term. We have all heard of so-called 'baby brain' - the phenomenon we blame for certain uncharacteristic behaviours we don't want to take ownership of. In The Bad ...more
Pauline
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Bad Mother by Amanda Brooke is a psychological thriller about a married couple awaiting the birth of there first child. Lucy is anxious and confused because she is getting very forgetful and blames her hormones for this. Her husband is worried that she will be unable to copy with the new baby. Their situation rapidly goes downhill and this story becomes dark and alarming and things are not what they seem. I would like to thank NetGalley and Harper Collins UK for my e-copy in exchange for an ...more
 Li'l Owl
'A good mother doesn't forget things.
A good mother isn't a danger to herself.
A good mother isn't a danger to her baby.'
You want to be the good mother you dreamed you could be.
But you're not.
You're the bad mother you were destined to be.

At least, that's what he wants you to think.

I'll start by saying that was a difficult book for me to read. As a result, it's a difficult book for me to review.

First, The Bad Mother by Amanda Brooke contains all the hallmarks of a great novel and that fact
Lisa
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lucy is looking forward to the impending birth of her daughter but is extremely aware of her recent forgetfulness occasionally dangerously so but she blames it on baby brain she even forgets what her husband Adam is telling her, the fear of becoming a mum terrifies Lucy.
BUT IS IT LUCY's FORGETFULLNESS OR IS it SOMEONE TRYING TO GET INSIDE HER HEAD?

I will leave this short as I don't want to give away any spoilers which can easily be done in this novel, I will say it was a slow burn but as the
Louise Wilson
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good mother isn't a danger to her baby. A good mother isn't a danger to herself. You want to be a good mother. But your not. You're the bad mother you were destined to become.

This is a gripping edge of your seat read that's a tense roller coaster ride, full of suspense, even though the reader of the book can see where this is going. This is a quick page turning read but it still messed with all my emotions.

I would like to thank NetGalley, HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction and the Amanda Brooke
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Lucy is pregnant with her first child, and married with the man she loves. But she is troubled. She forgets things, misplaces them, and although people around her says it should be the 'baby brain' she is unsure. She is stressed if she is going to be able to look after the baby when she comes..
The whole book is around this subject and it's very dialogue heavy. It is not a bad one, however it felt to me that it could have been shorter. Some events and dialogue felt repetitive. Lucy and her
Rachael
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Oh for goodness sake, you’re told the entire plot in the title and tagline on the front cover! Don’t read this expecting a plot twist or a book where half the pages aren't superfluous.
Not to mention: (view spoiler)
How disappointing.
Mandy White
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Lucy feels like she is losing her mind but puts it down to baby brain. Things just seem to get worse and her husband Adam is not exactly supportive.

I figured out what was going on very early on but still enjoyed this book. It was a page turner and I was just waiting for Lucy to fight back!

Thanks to Harper Collins UK via Netgalley for a copy of this book to read and review.
Ailsa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is four hundred pages of the worst husband in the world clearly gaslighting his poor wife Lucy into thinking she’s going insane. There’s no suspense because it’s apparent to the reader - literally from the text on the front cover - that Adam is the one convincing Lucy that she’s the one misremembering things and leaving the oven on. It’s just a question of when she’ll realise and what happens when she does.
Ruthy lavin
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
You know when you start a book that you’ve been excited to read and it doesn’t get off to a great start, but you persevere because you’re sure it’s going to get better, then you consider giving up half way through because it’s damper than a wet squid, but you’re sure it will finish with a firework worthy ending, but it turns out to be a completely underwhelming experience?? That was this book.
Just barely scratched 2 stars and for me it was a complete
Disappointing and only scored 2 stars
Rachel Hall
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Natalie
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you don’t want to be really annoyed then DON’T buy this book!! So nearly gave up on this, it’s not particularly good definitely preferred The Affair!! The storyline and chapters dragged like hell and it just wasn’t strong enough, kind of felt like an amateur debut.
Eva
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lucy is pregnant with her first child. This should be a time of pure joy and excitement but it’s anything but for Lucy and her husband, Adam. Because Lucy is becoming increasingly forgetful. She forgets conversations or turning off the gas hob and often loses or misplaces things. Surely this can’t all be blamed on baby brain?

It’s actually quite obvious from the start what’s going on, which I’m going to assume was the point. Many times I felt like grabbing Lucy by the shoulders, urging her to
Susan Hampson
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
What begins as laughable situations where Lucy misplaces car keys and forgets bits of conversations soon escalates the further into her pregnancy she gets. It seems that each week she becomes more apprehensive and forgetful. Lucy’s mum is quick to dismiss it as ‘baby brain’ due to the imbalance of hormones, which she says will clear up not too long after the baby is born. Lucy isn’t too sure especially after leaning about some of her family history. The thing is if she raises her concerns with ...more
Lou
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: three-star
This had all the hallmarks of a great domestic based psychological thriller; the writer is clearly adept at creating tension and drama but as the storyline developed, it all felt a bit soap opera for me. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the book, but I felt it could have been better delivered.

Lucy is heavily pregnant and slowly losing her mind, or so she thinks. Perhaps the biggest issue I had with this book is that the synopsis gives the whole game away so there isn’t much room for speculation
Melanie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
God I hated this book. There’s absolutely no plot or suspense whatsoever since the entire story is essentially given away in the description. You’re then left with 400+ pages of the same thing happening over and over again, a main character that’s incredibly naive and unlikeable, and another who mimics a Disney villain. I almost DNF this so many times; I really need to make it a goal of mine to not suffer through a story that isn’t working for me. If it wasn’t obvious, I don’t recommend this ...more
Jess The Bookworm
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Lucy is pregnant with her first child. Her husband, Adam, and her have had a whirlwind romance and she's so in love with him.

But lately, she's become very absent minded, forgetting where she put things, leaving the stove on, forgetting whole conversations.

She starts to wonder what it'll be like when her baby arrives. Adam starts to think she'll be a danger to their baby. Does she just have "baby brain" or is there some more sinister reason for her carelessness?

The story follows Lucy as she
Fiona Mccormick
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
When strange things begin happening to Lucy, she thinks she is suffering from 'baby brain'. She is becoming forgetful and absent minded and is frightened she is turning into her father who killed himself due to mental illness. She has not long been married to Adam, and her mother frequently tells her he is a 'good one'. However, could the cause for her lapses in memory and concentration be more sinister?
This book was very readable and I raced through it quickly, but I don't feel it offered
Maggie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lucy & Adam are expecting their first baby. Lucy, a gifted artist is looking forward to being a mum and hopes that she will able to continue to paint after her baby is born.

At first it is little things, mislaying keys, not locking the door, leaving things switched on that Lucy's mum puts down to 'baby brain' sure that once the baby is here she will be her old capable self. Adam is more concerned. He worries that Lucy will endanger herself and their child. Before long Lucy is second guessing
Antonio
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Iv’e never heard of the term Gas-lighting before reading this book, but the story almost makes me an expert.
Gas-lighting is a form of abuse that Lucy the pregnant main character endures because she loves her husband Adam, she trusts everything he has to say, and he thinks she will be a bad mother when her child is born.
‘And boy does she suffer’.
I shouted at Mr Kindle a few times and once he ended on the other side of the room after taking a flying lesson, and if i could have been written into
Lynn
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book although I felt the description made it sound more mysterious and intriguing than the story actually was. I loved the whole idea behind it but the main character annoyed me and I just wanted her to wise up to what was happening. Still an enjoyable read.
Glynis
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
An addictive read which kept me up to the early hours shouting at the book. The reader will be on a knife edge staring over the cliff but don’t jump!

With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for my ARC.
Michelle
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Psycholohical mess with your mind full of doubt. Bitter twisted and well worth a read
Sheri
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The plot of The Bad Mother is pretty simple: Lucy, an artist, is married to Adam and they are expecting their first child. But all is increasingly not as it should be - Lucy’s forgetting things, a lot of things, and she can’t put it all down to “baby brain”. Things get worse fast and it’s not long before Lucy’s confidence is completely destroyed.

It’s obvious almost from the start that Adam is a gaslighting bad ‘un and I was frustrated that Lucy couldn’t see how he was constantly undermining and
Natalie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first Amanda Brooke book I have read and I am desperate to read more!
This book was cleverness and cunning at its best. It makes you question things and had me leafing back pages to check things as it had my mind tripping along with Lucy's.
This book is one of the best thrillers I've read this year and is a book I will ponder over for a long time.
A must read!
Liz
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! The subject matter makes this an unsettling book to read but so compelling as well - a bit like watching a horror movie from behind a cushion! The author creates and builds the suspense and tension with great skill. I could only read a few chapters at a time and then needed a breather but found myself itching to pick it up again. Superb characterisation too - totally believable!
Alison Lindsay
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. On the whole a great page turner that was easy to read. Only slight niggle where I felt storyline or character was especially weak in parts. And one piece of bad dialogue near the end that didnt fit with the rest of the book. First book from this author and I'd definitely read more.
Angela
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started this book a couple of days ago .Their arguments started with Adam and Lucy . Then Lucy started to start with Adam really argumented and she wanted to say goodbye to baby Ava. I can’t say too much because I’ll spoil it. I have to say Thank you from the Netgalley
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Killer Inside
  • My Husband’s Lies
  • The Evidence Against You
  • Her Last Lie
Amanda Brooke lives in Liverpool with her teenage daughter, Jessica. When her three-year-old son died from cancer, Amanda was determined that his legacy would be one of inspiration. Yesterday's Sun is inspired by her experiences of motherhood.