Start by marking “Ben & Gavin” as Want to Read:
Ben & Gavin

Ben & Gavin

For Ben Cartwright, having a twenty-one-year-old lover comes with a lot of responsibility and a lot of worry. Mostly he worries that Gavin is tying himself down without knowing what his options really are.
Gavin has his own baggage to deal with, including old wounds from a family who disowned him when he was only a teenager.
As they struggle to meet in the middle after a sho
Published October 18th 2017

Bibliophile
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 5-star-reads
JH Knight is an author I love who upsets me merely because she doesn't publish enough for my tastes (I know, I know--I'm selfish! And a tyrant!)

Her books The Last Thing He Needs and Just a Feeling are among my all-time favorite m/m books--and given that I've read 1000+ m/m books over the years--that's saying something!

Interesting enough, she's not an obvious pick for a favorite author. Her books aren't oozing with hot/kinky sex nor are her books saccharine sweet. They don't feature "trendy" sto
Line
This was so SO good!

I think The Last Thing He Needs was one of the first MM romances I read, and I have to say I was really intrigued with Ben and Gavin.
As with so many other things though, I completely forgot about it until last night when I was sort of in the mood for a light, fun romance (and hopefully one I hadn't read before) when I found this... And my night was made!!

This was funny, sweet and romantic, and I LOVED (view spoiler)
Sara
Oct 17, 2017 marked it as to-read
I JUST REALIZED WHO THIS IS ABOUT!!!!!! OMG!
Catherine
*** 2.5 Stars ***

Normally I enjoy J.H. Knights books (The Last Thing He Needs was one of my favourite books of 2014), but this one was a bit difficult for me to get into.

For starters, I don't love reading books about established couples when I haven't already read an entire book about them getting established in the first place. I know that we were introduced to Ben and Gavin in The Last Thing He Needs, but it's not the same as watching all of their firsts - their first meeting, their first fum
BR11
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 ⭐
If you want to read this book, read the prequel in the author’s blog first. It’s short, sweet and free.
Ben & Gavin is a book about them settling down in a more serious relationship, more oriented towards long term goals than the honeymoon phase. The book starts with them 3 years into their relationship and with Ben’s ‘I’m-too-old-for-him’ crisis.
It was nice but, even with the prequel, I needed to know how Ben became infatuated with Gavin. That is not even told... the prequel stars the
Jenny Wood
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was halfway through this story when I realized who this story was about!!
I so, so loved The Last Thing He Needs, its prolly one of top 10, mm read.
But, anyway... in this one, we have Ben and Gavin...

Ben, an older, established tattooist, has been in a relationship with Gavin, for several years when this one takes place. You can read the short sequel as a free read on the author's site.
I was rooting for them, even though I did think, in the beginning, that Gavin was a bit too young and immatu
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Anke
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I found this at the right time as I was exactly in the mood for a story like this. It was easy, heartwarming and it brought a smile to my face. I'm glad that the author didn't go the line of an ill or dying mother, nope, the sister and the child both are still in the picture.
So, it was a feel-good story from beginning to end and I'm looking forward to reading more by this author. I like her writing style a lot.

Tess
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: age-gap
Tanja
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful story. I loved everything about it. The characters, the storyline, the writing style. Only one page in the book and I was hooked. It kept me captivated till the very end.
It is not really a getting-together story but more a staying-together story. The author describes perfectly what it takes to be in a loving and lasting relationship. The little things that are annoying but you’ll take because you love the other one. The struggles to compromise. To give and take. And th
Natalie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a feel good story

I’ll admit I kind of felt dropped into the middle at first. Gavin and Ben are an established couple in the midst of a breakup right at the start. How they met and got together isn’t entirely clear but as the narrative gets rolling it pulled me right in. It’s about an older, overprotective, sometimes stupid man and a younger boyfriend who has to convince the silly man he knows his own mind. It’s a 17 year old girl cast out by the same parents that threw away their son out of
*~*~Fawkes, Padfoot, and Prongs~*~*
DNF @ 43% ... was going to rate it 1 star [see my updates for why, if you’re interested] but then decided to cut this book a little slack and skim to see what happens at the end. Will rate then.
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
Nice and comfy, secure and tangible. Read it a couple weeks back, but I remember how this book covered everything of concern, and made me care about all the characters. The MCs needed to grow into each other, and here they did just that. A satisfying read.
~nikki the recovering book addict
5 lovely hearts!!

I always love JH Knight’s books. She doesn’t write enough of them!

I sort of recognise this couple (maybe) from one of her previous books (I think) but it’s not important. What’s important is, I’m being graced with the presence of an awesome book of amazing quality! 🙌

I’m quite speechless at the moment. I mean, I don’t know what to say about it except I love it! Both guys weren’t perfect, which is why they were broken up in the first place. We don’t really see the break up scene b
Dutchgirl
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. We met Ben briefly in The Last Thing He Needs and there is a free prequel of them on the authors website https://knightwylde.blogspot.com/2014...

I suggest that you read the prequel before you read Ben & Gavin, because you can get full reading enjoyment that way.
However you don't have to read The Last Thing He Needs before reading this book because it is a standalone, but i highly recommend you read it anyway because it is a fantastic book (one of my all time favorites).
AussieMum
DNF 60%
I've been skimming for a while. It's not that this is bad, it's just not holding my attention. Definitely recommend reading the free prequel on the authors website before starting this as they begin here as an established couple.
ConM
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, mm-romance
Nice and sweet. But lacking something...no tension.
NeRdyWYRM
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, m-m
Me Likey, Me No Likey

Hmph. Where to start? Okay. Good stuff first. I luuuuurve J.H. Knight's books. Love, Love, Love. Mm-hmm, like that freaky weird tree in The Last Unicorn. You know the one? Here, maybe this will refresh your memory:

the love tree last unicorn animated

Yep. Love. Love. Love. LOL. Anyway, now that I got that out of my system ... moving on. One of my all-time favorite MM books is The Last Thing He Needs. And maybe I misunderstood somehow or other, but this book was pitched to me as a follow-on/sequel to Tommy and B
Colin Hardy
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
The focus of the story does not move beyond the relationship of the central characters. Both are likeable with a clear softening of the older of the two as the book progresses. The other character remains largely unchanged throughout. Secondary characters are introduced and their personalities fleshed out only so far as they impact the central characters. Similarly locations are relevant only in so far as they support characteristics of the central individuals. The plot lacks complexity but rema ...more
Grace
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 rounded down

In the same universe as the book The Last Thing He Needs (not sure why it's not a series) but can be read as a stand alone.

I'll be honest, considering this is one of the author's more recent works, I had high hopes for it, but I thought it was a pretty weak novel overall.

Nothing really happens in it, is the thing. The characters start off broken up and then quickly get back together. There's some mild relationship drama that is basically extended throughout the whole novel as the
Amy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book to read by this author and I can definitely say I’ll be reading more!!

Omg Gavin and Ben were so great. The angst was the right amount. The feels, oh the feels!!!! Learning how to compromise and grow together, taking in family and dealing with those who hate, learning what love and family are all about!!

I don’t want to give anything away but Ben a tattoo artist and older than Gavin by more than a few years worries Gavin didn’t “sew his wild oats” before settling down with Be
J
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Something seemed a little off with this book. Ben and Gavin were broken up when the book began and a lot of this book was spent putting them back together again. It almost seemed that this was the last half of another book but where oh where was the first half?

Anyway, older Ben was sure that younger Gavin was going to up and leave him one day (or Ben would die and leave Gavin alone) and so he tried to send Gavin on his way to find someone more suitable for someone his age but Gavin wasn't having
Natalija
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, mm
DNF at 21%
I probably would have finished the book if I hadn't reread The Last Thing He Needs shortly before. It just seems like it was written by a different author.
Jeff Davault
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Contains a pet peeve for me (and you?)

Overall a fine story, but someone please learn to be consistent when using “ya” and “you” because they both show up frequently and ofttimes in the same sentence or paragraph of spoken dialogue. Anyway, I almost docked it a star because it was annoying.
Katy Beth Mckee
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ben's worries about Gavin giving up on him because of age almost drives Gavin away. Gavin has worried about how to make sure Ben really listens. As they deal with family crisis they both learn to work as a team.
Michelle Frost
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet story! I fell completely in love with Ben and Gavin as characters and really enjoyed the dynamics of them patching up their relationship and watching them grow together.
Eolia
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was well-written, it just wasn't for me. It was more about the sister than the guys. A little TMI about the sister as well.
Filipa
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
Valérie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cela fait plusieurs années que j'attendais un nouvel écrit de J.H. Knight et cela ne fait aucun doute que l'auteur n'a rien perdu de sa plume, de son talent pour des personnages en apparence peu complexes et pourtant si réalistes et proches de nous. L'histoire peut sembler simpliste, un couple ensemble depuis un certain temps, pas de vrais problèmes, juste les bas et les hauts de la vie, et pourtant, avec sensibilité, J.H. Knight nous offre des tranches de leur vie à deux.

Problème de communicat
« previous 1 3 4 next »
J.H. Knight has been writing love stories since the second grade. When she’s not catering to the whims of her imaginary friends (whom she sometimes refers to as “characters”), she’s usually found driving her four children all over the planet, working on a school project, or saying things like “Not until your homework is done!”

A Pacific Northwest native, she loves the outdoors in every season wheth