Start by marking “Lightning Struck (The Roaming Curse Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Lightning Struck (The Roaming Curse Book 1)

Lightning Struck

(The Roaming Curse #1)

A powerful storm unleashes a raging war.

Published October 5th 2017 by Quixotic Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lightning Struck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightning Struck

Start your review of Lightning Struck (The Roaming Curse Book 1)
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This was an interesting read. It was a quick and fast paced story. Elysia finds her family and learns more about them. Some of them are likable and others not so much. She meets Colin who has secrets of his own and of course when things come to light her family has issues with him. It comes down to what he is. The ending was interesting and I'm intrigued to see how things are going to go in the next/last book.
J.L. Slipak
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A powerful storm unleashes a raging war.

Elysia Lovell’s mysterious heritage catches up with her, forcing her to go on the run once again. Grief-stricken and confused by her father’s disappearance, Elysia is led to a new place and discovers a family she never knew existed. Hiding her secret becomes increasingly difficult when her tumultuous emotions threaten to reveal her precarious gift.

Colin Moore is reckless, impulsive, and entrenched in the family business: extorting townspeople and killing
Rabid Reader
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an entertaining YA story of a young Roma girl, Elysia, with a powerful but volatile gift that is linked to her emotions. Elysia and the other Roma are hunted because of their gifts, they spend their lives running and hiding. When she is separated from her farther, she makes her way to family she never knew of before, and finds herself in a small town surrounded by secrets, danger and temptation. I enjoyed this exciting and suspenseful tale that has great characters and some very ...more
Janeandjerry
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LIGHTNING STRUCK

I want to thank Miranda Hardy for such a great book and to say I loved the characters and story way everything went. This girl has the powers now let me say that much and after going on a search to find safety and then ending up how and where she did now that's gotta be something.
I hope you and others will enjoy this book just as much if not more than I did and since this is the first book in this series I can't wait to get started on the next ones by this fantastically
Sara Oxton
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lightning Struck by Miranda Hardy a fantastic five-star read. This is the story of Elysia a young Roma girl who hasn’t had an easy life, and has spent it on the run. The Roma have always been hunted as they have special gifts. This is a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat, it’s a thrilling ride from the first page to the last, and you won’t be disappointed.
Emily O'Malley
A quick but amazing read! Love the characters and the writing is spot on. Love the story line and I can’t wait to start the second one!
MaryAnn Costanzo
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the story between Elysia, Colin, and Kyle. I was able to feel part of the story living in Florida not far from the places described. One thing I took from the story was that family was family good or bad but your friends could be the glue to hold everything together. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Jennifer G
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lightning Struck is the story of Elysia, a young Roma girl who has lived a life on the run. The Roma have special gifts, magical gifts that put them in danger from the Hunters. Her mother died when she was born and her father has kept the two of them alive staying one step ahead of the Hunters with his gift of sensing the moment their lives are in danger and their need to move on. This time he didn't act fast enough, Elysia is on her own, and has followed the directions from a mysterious note ...more
Tiera McMillian
2.5. The storyline was interesting but unfortunately there are just too many unknowns to keep it cohesive. There definitely wasn’t enough backstory really just some vague facts here and there and of course everyone has been keeping secrets making it even more frustrating.

Ok so who are the Roma’s? Very little information is given about who they are or where they come from or even how they got their gifts, and what are their gifts how do they pass down? They are called gypsies however I think with
J C Steel
Elysia is running again, fleeing from the fall-out of her uncontrollable ability to affect the weather—and the people who want to capture her, along with any members of her family they can lay hands on. When a mysterious package shows up in her anonymous hotel room, it leads her back to Florida, where she finds out that not only is she not alone, but her world is even stranger than she imagined.

Lightening Struck is a pleasant read, not delving too deeply into its characters or topics; a
Fiona
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviewed, 2018
What a great start to a new series. Miranda is also a new to me author and I will continue reading her books. I was lucky enough to become a reader of Miranda's advance reader group (arc) and was gifted a free copy of the book.
Elysia (Alice) is a likable character, she draws you in from the first pages. She proves she is a strong character throughout the book by the decisions she makes and the actions she takes. She fights her attractions to Kyle and Colin but there is an inevitability of what
Jai
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Oh what a terrible web we weave when we practice to deceive." This story is full of secrets and lies to protect those secrets.

Christina Rossetti said it best:
"I tell my secret? No indeed, not I:Perhaps some day, who knows?But not today; it froze, and blows, and snows,And you’re too curious: fie!You want to hear it? well:Only, my secret’s mine, and I won’t tell.
Or, after all, perhaps there’s none..."

This story will take you on an ardent roller coaster. You follow Elysia "Alice" throughout the
Jai
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

Christina Rossetti said it best:
Or, after all, perhaps there’s none..."

Melissa Pereira
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recently received a copy of this book from Miranda and I could not put it down. I literally read this book in a few hours. It was interesting from the very first word until the very last word. I love the magical aspect of the book and the different characters. It’s a story where a family needs to come together to survive. I loved the romantic aspect of the book and the fact that each page brings out more secrets. I cannot wait to start book two. I also cannot wait to see what other books ...more
Kimberly
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the first line, this was a thrilling race to the end. The mystery and suspense surrounding Elysia kept building. I wanted to know who was chasing her, who was helping her. Why did her father separate from her and what happened to him? Why did her aunt dislike her so much? Why was she so drawn to Colin and why did his touch soothe her gift? How do you break the curse? A lot of these questions are answered, but not all. This is part one of a two part story. I was left with questions and a ...more
Nina Derr
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that I could have read in a day, maybe even half a day, if I didn't have to go to work. This YA paranormal romance book is about Elysia who is a 22 year old Rom gypsy who has a special ability...her emotions trigger the weather. Oh and she's also being perused by two very hunky young men...hello romance! I fully enjoyed this book, it jumps right into the story and at no point did it get boring or start dragging along. I've read plenty of paranormal romance books and ...more
Lori Jackson
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5

I got this book off the Penned Con 2019 Reading List, and although I got through it very quickly, it wasn't a very memorable book for me. I'm not as invested in finding out the answers at the end as I normally am. I do not feel like this first book gave enough information to hook me. While the information about the Romani was interesting, I've always loved gypsies, it just wasn't enough to hold me. I will read the second book because I can't start a series and not finish it, but it
Jennifer Dunski
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am Lightning Struck!!!!

What a great story from start to finish! It's intriguing, magical and amazing! The storyline is strong and the characters are well written.
Elysia is a Roma young woman, who's life has always been moving from one place to another, never staying long enough to make friends or truly have a happy life. The Roma people are blessed with gifts, gifts that can get them trouble.
It's a fun read that kept me up all night because I had to find out what was going to happen next!!!
Danielle Goodwin
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Miranda Hardy's "Lightning Struck" is the first tale in The Roaming Curse series. I couldn't put down this YA paranormal...and usually YA's just don't hold my interest. The mythology with the Roma and werewolves is very interesting. Elysia and her cousins sure have some neat backstories. I could almost hear the aunts talking. This would make a fun TV series. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.
Danielle Goodwin
Lisa Eiff
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book

I really enjoyed reading this book. When a Rom girl sets off with intentions to meet her father in a new destination, she begins to discover more about her past, family and future than she first intends. I would recommend this book to readers interested in gifted humans and werewolves.
InD'tale Magazine
This riveting tale will keep one turning the pages with great interest and leave the readers on the edge of their seats.

Read full review in the 2018 February issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Tera Comer
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This is the first book that I have read from this author and I was plesently surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The characters are very well done as they are mysterious, interesting and other things that make them easily seen as a real person. All the mystery and suspense that follows the main character Elysia keeps a person on their toes. There are so many questions left unanswered and I hope to see them answered in the second book of this series. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary ...more
Sharon R Nichols
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lightning Struck

This is a great book with interesting characters and it keeps you wanting to keep reading without stopping. This is the first book I have read by Miranda Hardy and I will definitely read more of her books. Roms, werewolves and characters with spells will keep you reading. I highly recommend it.
Monique
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable and exciting read! I liked the concept behind this story and I thought it was original. The characters were good and I’m looking forward to finding out what happens next. The only drawback for me was the first person narrative which is obviously a personal preference.
Jackie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elysia has a strange heritage that causes her to go on the run again. Loved the story from beginning to end, couldn’t get enough. Elysia is such an amazing character for this story and fits in perfectly.
Bonny Niswonger
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc and am voluntarily leaving this review. I loved the book. I starts out with someone in prison. Now would be a great time to get the book.
Kelly
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. An easy read. I like that fact it does deal with some supernatural characteristics but it wasn’t tooooooo over the top. Much more enjoyable than the typical Twilight stuff.
Amy
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Lightning Struck was a bit trope-y throughout, but an amusing enough read. I probably won't attempt to find the second book, though.
Carra
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lightning Struck has kept me on my toes from start to finish. When you're introduced to Elysia. you're dropped in the middle of her story- on the run, some people want her, and she's not entirely sure why- so you already have questions forming. I don't think there's one chapter that slows down, because that list of questions you had at the start will be incredibly long before you have answers. I think that's part of the fun with this book. Miranda Hardy leads you down one path that sounds good, ...more

• Wrecked
  • Assassin's Magic (Assassin's Magic, #1)
  • The Orphan (Oberon Academy #1)
  • Awakened And Betrayed (The Lost Sentinel, #2)
  • Magic Bite (Supernatural Bounty Hunter, #1)
  • Court of Night (Institute of the Shadow Fae, #3)
  • Broken Legacy (Dark Legacy, #3)
  • Court of Darkness (Institute of the Shadow Fae, #2)
  • Court of Shadows (Institute of the Shadow Fae, #1)
  • Emerge (Hosting Gods, #1)
  • A Pack of Blood and Lies
  • Smoke and Wishes (Best Wishes #1)
  • The Fire Prophecy (Hidden Legends: Academy of Magical Creatures, #1)
  • The Lost and the Chosen (The Lost Sentinel, #1)
  • Echoes to Ashes (The Immortal Trials #1)
  • The Frozen Witch (The Coven: Academy Magic #4)
  • I Am The Wild (The Night Firm, #1)
  • The Uncooperative Warrior (Unstoppable Liv Beaufont, #2)
Miranda Hardy writes literature to keep the voices in her head appeased. When she's not in her fantasy world, she's canoeing in alligator infested waters or rescuing homeless animals. She resides in south Florida with her two wonderful children, and too many animals to mention.

The Roaming Curse (2 books)
  • Lightning Lost (The Roaming Curse, #2)
“I’m going to bed. I have a feeling it’s going to be a long day tomorrow.” 3 likes