Start by marking “The Convent's Secret (Glass and Steele, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Convent's Secret (Glass and Steele, #5)

The Convent's Secret

(Glass and Steele #5)

To find the one man who can fix the magic in Matt's watch, he and India are led to a convent where the nuns will do anything to keep their secrets private. Including murder? Matt and India must uncover the truth behind the disappearance of the mother superior and two babies given to her care many years ago. But sometimes, the truth is painful and its exposure can have dead ...more
Published March 2018 by C.J. Archer

To ask other readers questions about The Convent's Secret, please sign up.
Rachelle Davis It says it will be released on the 6th of March :)

L.J. Evans
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love India and Matt. This series was my 1st by the author and since I read the first one, I have pretty much devoured everything she's written, and love it all, but Matt and India will always be special to me. Their banter, their back and forth, the female struggles for independence in the 1800s. It is all amazingly wrapped up in a set of lovely paranormal mysteries that keep you guessing but don't ever feel rushed or false. Her writing is a joy. I can't wait for the next in the series.
Becky Gault
Best Yet!

Oh the tension, the suspense! Stayed up to read it because I couldn’t put it down. India’s secret is almost out and I can tell it will cause more problems and heartaches. Lots of action, romance, and magic. I think this is my favorite of the series so far, and that’s saying a lot. I like the side plot stories she’s developing, even a possible new suitor for India (although we all know there is no one for her but Matt). Ms. Archer has never steered her readers wrong, so I’ll trust that s
Mari (Smut Duchess)
I was glad the main story arc has been resolved. I'm wasn't enthusiastic over the ending or the turn the series is taking. Matt is being blackmailed to marry his cousin. His Aunt and other relatives keep reminding India she's not good enough. India needs to woman up and tell them to shut up. Matt needs to set them all straight. His relatives have been trying to trap him for 5 books and I'm tired of it. Matt hopes that he'll find a way out of marrying his cousin so he and India can be together. I ...more
Lindap
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.50 / 3 Stars

My main complaint about this series is the excessive interference from Matt's English family. Constantly trying to force Matt to marry one of his cousins (His uncle's daughters) in order to keep the estate within the family and to insure they always have a home. We found out in the previous book that Patience once had a dalliance with a man and this could cause her current fiancé to break the engagement, if he finds out. Of course Sheriff Payne is hell bent on ruining Matt and he'l
Jen
Shelves: owned
I'M SO STRESSED WHERE IS THE NEXT BOOK?!
Lncropper
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth in a series. I reviewed the first one and have not reviewed the others. I love these stories. They combine mystery, romance, and magic, set in London in the late 18 or early 1900s. They are not great literature, but lots of fun. There is no sex and any violence is not graphic (usually they solve murders that are decades old.) I am very disturbed, though, that they have a little profanity. No F-words, and by no means constant, but just enough of the other to annoy me. It is unne ...more
Alexandra G.
5 stars

What's better than reading a new book from one of the series you adore? For me, not much.

I love how the author creates complex mysteries with seemingly random details that make so much sense in the end. I rarely know who's the killer in any of her books.

So, 'The Convent's Secret' brings some much needed answers and conclusions, while also presenting new problems and, in my case, frustrating situations. God, I really hate this time period where people, especially women, can't don what
Freda
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant Glass and Steel book. A bit of a nail biter this time. When it was getting to the end I presumed it would be the last in the series (can't give any spoilers). Thankfully there will be another book to follow.
Bernadette Rowley
I loved this book as I enjoyed all those leading up to it. I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to befall Matt and India next. Can't go any further owing to spoilers but it's a wicked tale!
Hope Sloper
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-enjoyable
Bah! I read The Convent’s Secret way too fast. I swear, one minute I opened my Kindle to read and the next, I was done. Now I have to wait until the next book comes out. There has to be a legit word or group of words that describes these flu-like symptoms a reader gets during the wait between books in a series.

Series sickness maybe? When is the next damn book coming out syndrome?

Of course, C.J. Archer ended this addition of the Glass and Steele series with a moment that had me giddy as a girl an
Carol
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am hooked on this series with all the great writing and characters that come to life. Archer is one fine storyteller. It is Spring of 1890,London. Glass and Steele are still trying to find the man who can fix the magic watch. They are led to a convent where they soon learn that the nuns will do anything to keep their secrets...awesome read.
Julia
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Hamilton
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fast Paced Mystery

I've always been a fan of CJ Archer, but I think Glass and Steele is becoming my favorite of her series. There's mystery, magic, humour, a little romance, and some fantastic characters. The Convent's Secret has answered a few questions and left us with more. Looking forward to book 6.
Mary
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just love this series, has all my bells and whistles, period novel, w/ "odd" or "unusual characters", mystery, action, bot of romance, and a bit of the paranormal! I sure hope my friend has book #6, as my library don't carry C. J.'s books, if you can imagine that. A conclusion is reached in this one for Matt, and now they have decisions to make moving forward.
Dennis Carter
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment

I devour these as soon as they are released! Quality writing, quirky but well developed characters, and an engaging storyline. Can’t wait for the next one...hurry up!
Michele Polanis
Another excellent episode!

I truly love CJ's way of just pulling you into her world's magic and intrigue. She always leaves me waiting on kind and needles for the next book in each series.
Tina Miles
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really hoping everything would be resolved in this book and was annoyed at yet another set of obstacles keeping Matt and India from getting Matts watch fixed. I was soo tired of Matt and India going back to the convent yet again with more questions-argh! But perhaps that's exactly what the author wants me to feel - dispirited, sad, lack of hope, anger, worry, frustration. If so, well done!

I was very happy there was a resolution to one of the major plot lines but equally disappointed that
John S Roth
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It!

C.J. Archer spins a marvelous yarn involving crime, intrigue, mystery, romance and magic all which will keep the reader captive right through the end! The characters are very well defined and will give the reader a feeling of being part of the story! Not only an excellent book, but an equally excellent series!
Kelsey
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nicole
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The mystery wasn’t bad, but the over-arching mystery is moving very slowly and has been needlessly drawn out to another book.

I just realized that the books have been published about every six months. With their short length, they don’t need to be serialized like this. But perhaps they’re meant to be, to make them more steampunk or something?
Autumn
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, dear, where to start with this one. It was good, as all the previous books were, and it did manage to up the ante towards the end—in more ways than one. But...this book took a dip for me early on.

(view spoiler)
K.J. Harrowick
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why I picked up this book:

The Convent’s Secret is the fifth book in the Glass and Steele series. When I made the decision to start doing book reviews, I’d already read the first four in the series and fallen head over heels in love with the characters. So, when I learned yet another book would be out soon, I was already poking the want button. Probably a lot harder than I should. Maybe even beating it with a hammer.

This review may contain spoilers.

What I loved:

One of my favorite things about r
Courtney Giraldo
Back with book 5 in the Glass and Steele series and ya’ll, I could serious read these characters and this world for the rest of my life and not be bored.

India and Matt are running out of time. They have to find the healing magician in order to fix Matts watch, or he will die. It continues to become weaker and soon enough, it will cease to work at all. When clues point them to a local convent, Matt and India investigate. The nuns are tight lipped, but they are able to discover that twenty years
Amanda
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly worthwhile series. I noticed little things about India that bothered me yet again this book and some other strange things that came up to annoy me, but overall very well done. I will definitely be reading the next one when it comes out.
Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers ahead. Warning:
Spoilers ahead, don’t continue if you don’t want to read spoilers!
India was extremely positive all through the earlier books that she would not marry Matt. She made her reasoning plain, though she loved him. T
Elenariel
This time I'm disappointed.
While the narration still manage to engage in the collateral mistery, there was absolutely no need to drag the main quest resolution for so long.
No need for two whole chapters involving Sheriff Payne as a lead.
(view spoiler)
No need for Matt to (almost) die
Leisel
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing series

From the moment I picked up the first book in this incredible series I have not been able to put it down and have even purchased the remaining books to date in the series as I simply want more.
CJ Archer writes about amazing characters that you will fall in love with and no matter what you will love them. I was always a little weary of reading about stories set in this era (late 1800 early 1900's) but it has been a wonderful setting, a time when life for women was very different to
Lynne Shear
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fifth instalment has you gripped from the beginning, though the plot takes the background because you become completely ensconced in Matt and India's love story.... will he say something, will she tell him she loves him, will Lord Rycroft hold the winning card, it is great!!! You feel you have been put through the mangle and back again waiting for this love story to play out. But let's not forget Willie, Cyclops and Duke as they are great characters too. You will not be dissapointed with th ...more
Ed Irene
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the series. Each book has held my interest from page one through the last line of the final chapter. Once I start the book, it only takes me one to two days to finish. Hard to put down. Looking forward to the next book.
I. Wright

I also read the book(s) and enjoyed them very much. There are characters you like and some you will despise. There are parts that will make you laugh. My only complain is there is not enough closure. It may be your intentions but it has become a long running "Soap
Peekablue
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So close!

This was another quick but very exciting read. Matt and India are still on the hunt for the physician. Willie's mystery is finally revealed. More complications arise for Matt and India's romance but India has at least let go of her reservations about herself being an "inappropriate" match for him. Sheriff Payne makes an appearance.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. We do get some closure, of sorts, but there is at least one more story yet to come and I am OK with that. I am happy wit
Jessica
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I found this series a little late- but I devoured the first three books in a week and have per-ordered every one since then.

I'm not one to overthink books when I read them. I read to escape and enjoy a break from the stresses of life. This series is a perfect get away.

The characters are lovable and witty. The author pulls together suspense and romance while also keeping it light and fun. I've enjoyed following them from book to book and can't wait for the next!

I highly recommend these if you w
  • The Pianist in the Dark
  • A Study in Murder (Dr John Watson, #3)
  • The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)
  • The Conspiring Woman (Victorian Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • An Urchin of Means (Baker Street, #1)
  • Cards & Caravans (Gaslight Chronicles, #5)
  • Morgue Drawer for Rent (Morgue Drawer, #3)
  • The Path of Names
  • The Shadow Cartel (Dominic Grey, #4)
  • The Pearl Thief
  • Rise of the Arcane Fire (The Secret Order, #2)
  • The Elusive Elixir (An Accidental Alchemist Mystery)
  • Song of Sorrow (Sorrow, #2)
  • Austensibly Ordinary
  • Make Up Break Up
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
  • Chasing Truth (Eleanor Ames, #1)
  • Death Betrays (Mortis, #5)
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now

Glass and Steele (8 books)
  • The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)
  • The Mapmaker's Apprentice (Glass and Steele, #2)
  • The Apothecary's Poison (Glass and Steele, #3)
  • The Magician's Diary (Glass and Steele, #4)
  • The Ink Master's Silence (Glass and Steele, #6)
  • The Cheater's Game (Glass and Steele, #7)
  • The Prisoner's Key (Glass and Steele, #8)