Start by marking “The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter

The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  453 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
England, 1861. A world-weary rake and a prim vicar's daughter are thrown together during a holiday house party. Will they discover there's more to each other than meets the eye? Or will revelations from the past end their fragile romance before it begins?

A WORLD-WEARY RAKE
After years of unbridled debauchery, Tristan Sinclair, Viscount St. Ashton has hit proverbial rock bot
Published January 23rd 2018 by Perfectly Proper Press

To ask other readers questions about The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter, please sign up.
Mimi Matthews Great question! There are no sex scenes or graphic language/descriptions, but there is one passionate kiss. Also, the hero and heroine meet at a…moreGreat question! There are no sex scenes or graphic language/descriptions, but there is one passionate kiss. Also, the hero and heroine meet at a notorious house party, so there is some vague reference to the illicit behavior of the other guests, as well as to the hero's scandalous past. (less)

Sonya Heaney
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After enjoying the author’s first Victorian romance so much, I snapped The Viscount and the Vicar’s Daughter up immediately. Mimi Matthews writes “proper” Victorian books, where the characters act era-appropriately, the conversations are entertaining, and there’s a focus on the *romance*.

The relationship in this one moves fast – it has to, as hero and heroine are caught together and forced into an engagement. Now, this is a plot device used a million times over in historical romance, but it is h
Amy ~ Love At 1st Read
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on Mimi Matthews after reading The Lost Letter. And her newest, The Viscount and the Vicar’s Daughter, has only fed my addiction more. Like her earlier book, this was a wonderful Victorian tale of two people from different worlds. Virtual strangers who fall in love and must overcome misunderstandings and family interference on their path to true love. And most importantly, it’s another beautifully romantic story that will tug at your heart strings.

Years ago, Tristan Sinclair, Vis
MaryannC.Book Fiend
This was a nice engaging read, not a bodice ripper but it still has it's rake and self proclaimed womanizer, Tristan Sinclair, The Viscount St. Ashton a handsomely, devilish man used to over indulgence in drinking and women. Having finally burnout from all the excess he comes across Valentine March a prim and proper young Vicar's daughter who is employed as a companion that suddenly turns the viscount's head because she is not the typical, easily seduced young woman he is used to having. But Val ...more
*Avonna
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

THE VISCOUNT AND THE VICAR’S DAUGHTER by Mimi Matthews is the second historical romance I have read and reviewed by this author and it will not be the last. Ms. Matthews sets her romances in Victorian England. They are beautifully written and era appropriate. The plots are character driven with no sex, but swoon worthy romance.

Tristan Sinclair, Viscount St. Ashton is world weary. Years of drinking, gambling and evading the responsi
Frankie Reviews
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-from-author
Let me start by saying what an unbelievably great book, it is rich and emotional and for me definitely what I have now come to expect from Ms Matthews. The Viscount and the Vicars daughter is very different from other historical romances it does go along the lines of marriage of convenience but the difference if that Tristan genuinely does love Valentine very much, and he wants to do what is right by her – after what happened, even with so much going against them not just society and his father ...more
Nancy
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
She was a prim vicar's daughter. He was a notorious rake. They were ill-suited by societal standards, but the attraction between them was too strong to ignore.

Valentine's beautiful society mother was pregnant and alone when the vicar married her to save her. Val grew up understanding her mother was a fallen woman, a sinner, and her father endeavored to ensure that Val did not follow her mother's path.

The death of her father brings Val to be the companion of a vain and shallow beauty who forces V
Tracy DeNeal
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tristan and Valentine

A vicar's orphaned and destitute daughter meets a world weary hardened rake in the abandoned folly of the ramshackle estate of a dissolute lord and lady in the midst of a debauched gathering and guess what? A sweet romance ensues.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Both protagonists shared varying degrees of self doubt throughout this tale. Their vulnerability and willingness to bare their souls in spite of their innate low self esteem was heartening.

Tristan Sinclair is not w
Christina
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Georgette Heyer fans
I loved this story. The prose, the smart dialog, likeable characters, and sweet romance had shades of Georgette Heyer. The delicious tension between the rakish viscount and the paid companion kept me turning pages well into the night. The mystery about the heritage of the vicar’s daughter tugged at my heartstrings—and I found myself in tears when all was revealed. Beautiful! I look forward to Mimi Matthews’ next.
OLT
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm really sorry that I don't like this little romance more than I do. Matthews' first one, THE LOST LETTERS, was a little gem and I was looking forward very much to this one, which has as its hero the older brother of the H of the first book.

The writing is good. I was especially impressed that the author is one of a select few who know the difference between "comprise" and "compose". That was almost enough for me to want to hand out 4 stars to this book. But, unfortunately, as I was reading thi
Mandy DeOrnellas
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the arc to read in exchange for an honest review.

I completely enjoyed this book. The characters development was well thought out and I loved them. For the first time in ages, I found myself not wanting a book to end. I wanted more. Their budding relationship was endearing.
Judy Lesley
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is not often I come across a romance novel that delivers a couple of main characters I can easily enjoy. Author Mimi Matthews set her story in1861 England to feature the polar opposites of a jaded rake and a vicar's daughter. That isn't a new situation in romance novels, but it certainly was refreshing to read about a heroine who wasn't afraid to stand up to people who were trying to keep her in the place they thought she should inhabit. This vicar's daughter might be alone in the world after ...more
Meghan V
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just like with Ms. Roger's previous book, "The Lost Letter", this is a easy to devour Victorian era romance with deeply thought out characters, fantastic dialogue, enough historical details to make the story realistic but not too much to make it frustrating and a completely lovely, tender romantic arc. Our hero is a wearied rake (and while that word can be so over used in this genre, I appreciated the author's interpretation of the term. He spent years really engage in bacchanalian behavior) but ...more
Noelia
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

I want first to thanks to the Publisher and the Author for allow me to read this book.
3.5☆ rounder up 4☆

I have to say that I enjoy the book, even when this book wasn't what I was expecting, I think those who like novels with rake characters will enjoy this book better than I. I will recommend this book as well to those who like a clean story, (there's only mentions of the past life of the H (rake) and one passionate kiss with the h). The story were well developed in general and the characters be
Aimee
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Victorian romance's and read them often. A lot of them have the same plot and this one did as well, but the characters were engaging and the book was written by someone who obviously has researched the Victorian Era. I thoroughly enjoyed this one from beginning to end and could not put it down. Tristan is your typical wealthy rake at the beginning of the book, but as soon as he meets Valentine he begins to change. Her warmth and innocence are exactly what was needed to break him free from ...more
Candy Briggs
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tristan Sinclair, Viscount St. Ashton, had a very bad reputation as a Rake and worse. But after ten years of debauchery, he needed more. Valentine March was a vicar's daughter and her mother died in childbirth. She was able to procure a companion's job and ended up at a house party.
This was a delightful story. The descriptions were nice, the dialogue matched the action going on. The Characters were imaginative, lush and realistic. It turned into a you do like her or you don't type of camp. You w
Regina
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
A captivating piece, but I wish it was expanded upon and had more depth to it. Some characters were set aside without proper exploration their nature. Events were unrealistically hasty in their nature, and conversations lacked some of English politeness that one would know from works of that time. Otherwise I was pretty captured by the story as it was a fast and English kind of steamy read.
Caitlyn Lynch
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What’s a rake to do when all his vices have lost their appeal? Tristan Sinclair is tired of living up to everyone else’s low expectations. His father’s dour predictions have become something of a self-fulfilling prophecy; after all, if nobody expects you to do anything good, you might as well just be bad.

Stumbling across a young woman sobbing her heart out in the woods, though, Tristan has no audience to play to, and he’s touched by her plight. He can’t quite get her out of his mind, even though
Pamela
This was a wonderful romance, and a story of reclamation. One was a rake,who had been accused of something he did not do. This left him turning even more to drink, and carousing. She is a vicar' s daughter, whose mother died in birth. The vicar had taken the lady in, and married her then raised the child as his own. Now with no other choice she is a companion to a lady, and her spoiled daughter. A chance meeting in the house party garden, when he hears her crying starts everything in motion. A s ...more
Anneceleste
4,5 stars. I finished it in a day and I loved it just like "The lost letter".
Meghan Lloyd
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a charming book of a reformed rake and the woman who stole his heart! It was a quick read that drew me in quickly and left me with a smile on my face by the end of the story. I love bad boy redemption stories, and this one, while a bit predictable, was nonetheless highly enjoyable. This will be the second book I have read by this author, and she has yet to fail in delighting me with her storytelling.

Miss Valentine March is horrified to learn that her new position as companion to Lady Bright
Talia Mage
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second novel I've read from this author, and I was not disappointed. It's a simple romance novel that is engaging and fun to read.

It is a romance in every sense of the word. Valentine (the female protagonist) is endearing and sweet, and Tristan (the male protagonist) is roguish, but still a gentleman at heart. It is a story where opposites do attract. They meet at a house party, and Tristan is the only one who is nice to her.

Unlike the first novel, this second novel is more light-he
Emmy
In comparison to The Lost Letter (which I thoroughly enjoyed), this played into all the Regency cliches even harder, but unfortunately I didn't connect with the characters like I did the first time, and therefore this was just not enjoyable. I'd give the plot a 1, but the writing wasn't terrible and since I enjoyed this author's first one I'm being generous.
Nadine
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been going through a Regency/Victorian Romance phase of reading and the The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter ticked all the right buttons for me!

We have a known Rake in Tristan meeting Valentine and the rest is history!

nope, actually the situation is a lot more complex because he is a Viscount and she is a Companion. Plus there is more, much more attached to Valentine.

I did read the book in one go and I really liked the characters a lot. Though I think Tristan turned out exactly like I
Joann Maggio
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The Viscount and the Vicar’s Daughter⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
By Mimi Mathews

New Yorkshire, England, 1862 Valentine March is a lady’s companion and lands innocently at a notorious party.
Tristan Sinclair, Viscount St. Ashton seeks escape from society and attends this party as a guest.

It is when he hurriedly arrives he stumbles into a folly in the garden upon hearing crying. He see a dowdy your spinster in tears. As he observes her he realizes she has been purposely dressed this way with drab clothes and spectacles
Alisa
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author and I will definitely want to read more of her books!

Tristan Sinclair, Viscount St. Ashton, has lost his way. He shows up at a disreputable house party, and unexpectedly meets Valentine March, the daughter of a deceased vicar. For someone who doesn't even believe falling in love is possible, falling in love at first sight seems like the impossible. Unfortunately, his own reputation is his greatest obstacle to winning the woman he has fallen in love with.

Afte
eyes.2c
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful! _______ 3 1/2 stars

Charming regency romance with the requisite rakish viscount who is unaccountability struck by cupid's arrow in the most irregular of circumstances.
Well written with an interesting mystery, circumstances that add tensions to the romance your having when your not having a romance.

A NetGalley ARC
Samantha
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Edenbrooke
Thoroughly enjoyed this though I still prefer The Lost Letter more. Mimi Matthews has quickly become an auto-buy author for me! Her books are always true to the time period in terms of dress, dialogue, setting, etc. My only complaint would be that her books are so short - I wouldn't mind more development and background for supporting characters. Love the covers as well - simple and elegant.
Susan in NC
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - charming, enjoyable romance by a new (to me) author - I look forward to her next book!
Patricia Morgan
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is only the 2nd book I've read by Mimi Matthews. I loved the first book and was not disappointed in any way by this book. Miss Matthews knows how to tell a story. Her characters draw you in right away. From the moment I started this book, I couldn't put it down. Tristan is a rogue, who's reputation is much worse then his actual behavior. Valentine is a lady's companion who's all alone in the world. He becomes her hero. She becomes his savior. I thought it was so appropriate that it was Tris ...more
Mimi Matthews (A Victorian Lady's Guide to Fashion and Beauty, The Lost Letter) writes both historical non-fiction and traditional historical romances set in Victorian England. Her articles on nineteenth century history have been published on various academic and history sites, including the Victorian Web and the Journal of Victorian Culture, and are also syndicated weekly at BUST Magazine. In her ...more