Jump to ratings and reviews
Conn Garrow, the Girl on the Moon, returns in a new adventure with more advanced tech, more dangerous aliens, and higher stakes than she's ever faced. An adventure with narrow escapes, impossible rescues, harrowing spacewalks and splashdowns, multimillion dollar deals, marooned astronauts, and even some fistfighting. Girl on Mars is the sequel to Girl on the Moon (ASIN: B0198Q3NG4), which Amazon reviewers called "a realistic, intelligent barn-burner" and a "thoroughly enjoyable, imaginative, wild-ride of a story."

Humankind's first interstellar journey--a jaunt to the home system of the Aphelials, a race that threatens humanity's very existence--doesn't go exactly as planned for Conn and her friend and fellow traveler Yongpo. But the astronauts do manage to gather intelligence that will make history and change the world. It will also set Conn on a path that will lead her to the fourth planet from our Sun. Mars could be the key to the survival of the Earth, and it's up to Conn to learn the red planet's secrets before the Aphelials arrive in force. She'll have to survive the months-long trip and a dangerous landing, be strong, keep her wits, have no fear, and make the right friends. And she'll have to hope it's all enough to turn back an overwhelmingly powerful and ruthless enemy bent on the annihilation of our entire species.

More praise for Girl on the Moon from Amazon reviewers:

If you’re a fan of “The Martian,” “Saturn Run,” and “Seveneves,” you’re going to love “Girl on the Moon.”

...

Fast paced, intense, and I never quite knew what to expect next.

...

Could not put it down, as it took me back to reading Heinlein’s juveniles from the 1950s.

...

This is a great story that just continues getting better and better. It doesn’t let up.

...

Reminded me of Arthur C. Clarke. I have not enjoyed a piece of Science Fiction this much in years.

Search ASIN: B0198Q3NG4 to find Girl on the Moon. Girl on the Moon is published by Amazon's Kindle Press.

303 pages, Kindle Edition

Published October 24, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jack McDonald Burnett

7 books44 followers
Jack McDonald Burnett is an attorney living in the Atlanta metro area. His short fiction is available at his website, scifijack.com. His nonfiction work has been published in a range of venues, from Economic Opportunity Report to American Builders Quarterly to Puck Daddy. His novels Girl on the Moon, Pauper, and Girl on Mars are available in the Kindle Store.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (3%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 18 of 18 reviews
Profile Image for Peter Megyeri.
300 reviews7 followers
November 13, 2017
With this I'll stick to the rating Goodreads is using. I liked it. Not super liked, not awesome, not really liked it, but liked it. It's a little bit unpolished compared to Girl on the Moon, I think. I really liked the first part, which really knew where it wanted to go and what it wanted to accomplish. The second installation just wanted to tell too much. It seemed like it wanted to be the second and the third part of the trilogy. But it was fun. Really exciting and smart and fun. A little bit too much use of Deus ex Machina, though. I mean the main protagonist wakes up like three or four times after what should have been a fatal incident, but I didn't really mind.
10 reviews
September 11, 2018
Nice story... but not great

Girl on Mars has the same compelling qualities that Girl on the Moon has: Good characters, a good storyline, and realistic dialog. But what I think what they're both missing is the emotional ebb and flow that makes a great story. There were few contrasts throughout the book; I felt like it was on a constant speed of medium during the whole book. Great stories take you to the edge of a cliff... and then pull you back several times before finally plunging over in a dramatic climax. I didn't get that feeling with this book.
Profile Image for Alex Jackl.
130 reviews5 followers
September 30, 2018
A good sci novel

A little weak in plot at points b u take quick fun read. Frankly the author doesn't really take into account of nut how different and how much more advanced aliens would be if they had the tools described. All t h at said loved reading it.
599 reviews4 followers
November 19, 2018
Not quite so good as Girl On the Moon. Seemed slower. I was ready for it to be over more than once. So many actions crammed into it you can get a little lost. I had several did I miss something moments.
13 reviews
June 16, 2019
Shallow read

It is a fun read, but really a shallow read. So ideal for a lazy weekend read, but don’t expect depth to the story. Just follow Conn through her adventures and enjoy them.
Profile Image for Jay.
7 reviews
August 27, 2019
Well I finished it... The story is quite a good idea and the amount of detail is interesting but the way it is written becomes tiresome. I think this really could do with the input and feedback of a proof reader.
81 reviews1 follower
August 12, 2021
Space Race

The trilogy of a girl who, in my opinion turned out to be the greatest ever astronaut
The story started out rather normally as we think of a moon trip then the modern space travel and story heats up
This is a great story
October 25, 2018
Another good SCI GO adventure

I enjoyed the series very much. Interesting aliens. I also enjoyed Jack's other books.☺☺☺ I will be watching for new books from Jack!
November 11, 2018
Good vacation read.

This was a good fun fiction read for me while on vacation. I read Girl on the Moon and Girl on Mars in sequence.
November 23, 2018
👧

Like 👍 this book as much as the first one. Great 👍story and charetures . Excuse my language. Hope to 👀 more of Conn.
30 reviews
November 29, 2018
Space -Aliens- and high tech

Good read with plenty of action - multiple alien friends and foes- some high tech with a good ending. :-)
Profile Image for Sonya Connor.
46 reviews
March 4, 2019
Rivetting adventure

Sci fi was it should be. Written with originality and flare. I couldn't wait to read the conclusion but at the same time did not want this experience to end
June 8, 2019
Great read

A terrific sequel to girl on the moon. Great to see a female protagonist in sci-fi genre, with a touch of Reacher.
Profile Image for Michelle Thiel.
49 reviews
May 8, 2022
Book 2 does not disappoint

More action, more aliens, more awkward romance (no sexual details). Book 1 was really good, and Book 2 may be even better. I can't wait to read Book 3!
1 review
February 19, 2020
Great book!

I really like this series. It's been a few years since I read the first book, but it didn't take long for it to all come back. This book never got boring-there was always something happening on the next page. I'm downloading book 3 right now...
Profile Image for Doug.
569 reviews4 followers
December 29, 2018
Not nearly as good as the first one, in my opinion. And the science mistakes bothered me. I probably won't bother getting the 3rd one when it comes out.
Displaying 1 - 18 of 18 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.