Start by marking “The Gnomewrench in the Dwarfworks” as Want to Read:
The Gnomewrench in the Dwarfworks

The Gnomewrench in the Dwarfworks (Gnomewrench #1)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A displaced group of dwarves lend their considerable skills in metalworking to the war effort -- and prove that the biggest heroes of World War II are also the smallest.
Mass Market Paperback, 359 pages
Published July 1st 1999 by Ace (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Gnomewrench in the Dwarfworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gnomewrench in the Dwarfworks

David
Sep 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: completed
This was a neat fantasy novel with a really cool idea about dwarves manufacturing items during world war II. Our hero, a 4-F human salesman discovers their factory and trouble ensues. He discovers that the dwarves are entangled with a group of evil gnomes.

Okay, I don't want to ruin it for anyone. This book was fun, but very mediocre in its author's ability to further the plot and bring it to a satisfying conclusion. It had a few strong moments, but not enough to justify a 359 page novel.

I woul
Dark-Draco
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've just finished reading this and, to be honest, am still not sure what I thought of it!! I did enjoy the read - the premise and plot was fun, entertaining and unique as far as I know. My only problem was the lack of twists and turns I like - this was a bit simple. The bit with Kristen and Grady's refusal of her was just confusing; no real explanantion was given for it. But I did like the book and will look out for other things by this author.
David Brawley
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I really wanted to like this one more. It’s a concept that has a lot of potential, but the author just couldn’t pull it off. The best I can say about it is that he doesn’t screw it up, but he doesn’t do anything good with it either.

The characters are a little flat, and the pacing just seemed off. The evil gnomes... well, they aren’t really like any gnomes I know, more like little demons, and I kept getting the wrong mental image.
Elliot Jaffe
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice book set in the US during WWII. Lots of engineering references and a melancholy storyline. I enjoyed reading it.
Larry Wegman
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Larry by: Cheryl Wegman, Sam Wegman
World War II on the home front, with fantasy creatures on both sides. Pretty good.
Gwen
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, history
I admit, I picked this up at the library purely because it looked ridiculous. Dwarves and evil gnomes filling defense contracts in WWII America?

It was actually really good, and I want a movie.
Heather Pearson
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
this was a fun and totally amusing story
Lee
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Nicely set up, but I the plot got murky in the middle, and I'm not sure why some things happened the way they did.

I will probably look for any sequels.
Theresa Hegel
Kathy
Apr 28, 2012
Pamela
Aug 05, 2017
Nicholas Benjamin O’Donohoe. Born in 1952.
More about Nick O'Donohoe...

Gnomewrench (2 books)