Start by marking “The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)

The Good Luck Girls

(The Good Luck Girls #1)

Westworld meets The Handmaid's Tale in this stunning fantasy adventure from debut author Charlotte Nicole Davis.

Aster, the protector
Violet, the favorite
Tansy, the medic
Mallow, the fighter
Clementine, the catalyst

THE GOOD LUCK GIRLS

The country of Arketta calls them Good Luck Girls--they know their luck is anything but. Sold to a "welcome house" as children and branded with
Published October 1st 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Good Luck Girls, please sign up.

Start your review of The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
Miriam Smith
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t normally read fantasy adventure stories but now and again I do like to push my genre boundaries and try something a little different. The premise of “The Good Luck Girls” by new author Charlotte Nicole Davis really intrigued me and I was keen to read this Wild West style YA fantasy story.
When Clementine comes of age at sixteen to become a sundown girl in a ‘welcome house’ in Green Creek, she has to entertain a ‘brag’ (male customer) for the night as part of her ‘Lucky Night’ ceremony.
Lola
3.5 stars.

This story will intrigue many people and there’s a reason for that. It’s a mash-up of different genres and themes: historical fiction, dystopia, western, adventure, action, sisterhood, romance, fantasy. You’d think the result would be a mess or a really complex plotline that one cannot make heads and tails of but actually the author manages to explain everything well and ease us into the world-building without dumping every information on us in the first chapter.

This is as much an
Hollis
This is a YA fantasy unlike almost anything I've read. This also feels both dystopian and historical and yet is set in a fantasy world, so is truly neither of those things.

It's about strong women and daring stakes. It's about learning to trust when no one has ever given you reason to. It's about sacrificing your own chance at a happily every after for the benefit of others. It's a whole lot of things. It's also diverse, a little queer, and is all sorts of magical; though not in ways I expected.
Kayla Dawn
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Meeeh. The amount of times I read the word "breath" in this one made me want to throw the book out of the window.
Tucker
May 25, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
When Clementine accidently murders a man

HOW DO YOU "ACCIDENTLY" MURDER SOMEONE?????
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I had no interest in The Good Luck Girls. It wasn't that it was an all POC cast... it was that it was about prostitution. It's a hard life and I just didn't want to read about their horrible circumstances. Then I read an excerpt... and was TOTALLY sucked in.

The title references what they call the girls at the prostitution houses so its pretty spot on. However when I first saw the cover I sure didn't see the connection. She looks like a
Kate (GirlReading)
This was truly fantastic.

It had everything I could have possibly hoped for and more after having read the summary. It’s got sisterhood, found family, heists, murder, an adorable f/f budding romance, monsters (both human and inhuman), nuanced discussions on inequality and the differences in rights between men and women, strong women in every sense of the term and a desperate fight for freedom, all with a sprinkle of dark magic.

This book somehow sucked me in from page one and despite it being a
Bang Bang Books
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF at 40%

The focus is on the wrong thing.

Davis has created a very interesting world. It's set in an old west type of setting which is synonymous with America but Blacks and Whites live together harmoniously. WOW, let's explore this more.

Instead of discrimination based on race, there's discrimination based people who can cast a shadow vs. those who can't. WOW, let's explore this more. How is it physically possible to not cast a shadow?

Davis' world had an Empire and not a government that
TL
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad I took a chance on this:)
Elvina Zafril
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the good luck girls

The Good Luck Girls is incredibly addictive. Once you picked up the book, you wouldn’t want to put it down.

A really great debut. At the very beginning, I felt kind of boring because maybe I just didn’t understand what’s going on. A few of characters appeared and I couldn’t remember their names. But after a few chapters, I started to like the story because it became more interesting. Obviously because of the incident that happened where Clementine accidentally murdered a man.

The characters -
Justine
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
3.5 stars.

This was pretty basic but I still enjoyed it.
Keyona
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book so much. After Clementine accidentally kills a well-connected brag (client), her sister Astor and a few other Good Luck Girls go on the run to finally be free. These girls were sold into slavery at very young ages and forced to have sex with men once they reach 16. These girls go on this adventure to try to gain their freedom. On the way, they meet many different characters. Some helpful and some very unhelpful. Some human and some not so human. I love how they banded ...more
Angela Staudt
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“You had to keep running, that was the trick. If you stopped, your troubles would catch you.”

What an utterly captivating book full of adventure, sadness, friends, family, and hope. I loved how this was such a breath of fresh air, because of how unique the storyline was. The Good Luck Girls follows 5 girls who are from a Welcome House, only they have escaped and are on the run.

I immediately became attached to the main characters and couldn’t imagine their lives and how they are sold to the
Cortney
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-favorites
4.5 Stars

“It’s only that sometimes I wish we didn’t have to fight at all. Feels like I’ve been fighting since the day I was born.”

I was enthralled and thoroughly entertained by this alternate Wild Wild West fantasy adventure featuring a crew of badass women who wrecked shop.

Aster is the older sister of Clem and will do anything to protect her from an unconscionable future as a Good Luck Girl. Clem is so sweet hearted and naive that you can’t help but want to protect her too. And closing out this
MariaWitBook
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: samples

I just loved it from the first line. In less than 60 pages you have an entire world with rules and history. Characters full of potential! People that you hate or love in an instant! From the first chapter I found myself wishing not to finish the book in one sitting but wishing for this book to be the beginning of a whole series. I can’t think of any other book that will have the same type of story line. The oppression of the girls/women as familiar a thousand years ago as it sometimes now and
Connor
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this one! I don't tend to gravitate toward books pitched as westerns, but I thought this sounded like I might like it. Five girls escape their brothel and are on the run from the law after a client ends up dead, hoping to find a mysterious woman which legends say can remove their tattoos called favors (these mark the girls as property of a brothel/welcome house).

After finishing the novel, it seems like there are some mixed opinions on goodreads, so I'll be weighing
Bethany
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: black-authors, lgbtq
Can someone PLEASE turn this into a TV show?! Because OMG would it be a good one! The Good Luck Girls is a whole lot of fun, despite some darker elements. It's a fantasy Western adventure with angry ghosts and gang of girls, on the run and out for revenge. It's fast-paced story and action-packed, but it also includes big thematic content. It addresses trauma, misogyny, and systemic oppression, with clear nods to American chattel slavery and separation of families. But it is also about hope, ...more
The Nerd Daily
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published by The Nerd Daily | Review by Vinny MS

The Good Luck Girls follows the story of five girls and their escape journey to find freedom in the brutal land of Arketta. With a hope to get rid of their cursed markings, they will have to face a long trip full of demonic creatures, ruthless monsters, and not to mention the forces that chase them for a murder that one of them accidentally committed.

“Everyone deserved to be free, though. Everyone deserved to feel this.”

The story begins
Mandi1082
The Good Luck Girls is an Adventure seeking revenge type of story. It is said that it reminds people of the Handmaids Tale set in the Wild wild west. Well it's more wild wild West then it is Handmaids Tale. With that being said I still enjoyed this story written by debut author Charlotte Nicole Davis. You have Clementine who 'accidentally' kills a brag (male customer) so her and her sister Aster decide to go on the run with other Good Luck Girls Violet, Tallow and Mansy. On the way they meet Zee ...more
The Captain
Oct 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandon-ship
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this young adult fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

Upon seeing the beautiful cover and reading the synopsis, I thought this novel would float me boat. The highlight was the comparison to the handmaid's tale. Sadly, I stopped reading at the 15% mark because I really wasn't feeling it. But because this is supposed to be a woman driven story with a gangster escape and social commentary, I did an unusual
Annette
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookbox-books
The moment I discovered this book in my Book Box I was entirely surprised. This book hadn't been on my radar, no one had been talking about it and at first glance it didn't really seem like a book for me either. But, it's a really important and very well done book and I'm really glad that thanks to the buddy read I ended up reading it.

Without info dumps or lengthy explanations Davis manages to create a world that's so vivid and raw and in a way mirrors our world perfectly too. The prologue is so
Amanda
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Review: 5 Stars

The Good Luck Girls is probably the most powerful novel that I've read this year. I was absolutely shocked to find out that it is Charlotte Nicole Davis' debut novel because it is so well done I thought that it must have been written by a seasoned author. It deals with the heavy topic of sex trafficking in a way that is both tactful and raw. The characters grabbed me by my heart and the pacing is fast. I had
Melissa
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Good Luck Girls is definitely one of my favorite releases this year. I was truly so immersed in the world that Davis built. Each girl was very different from one another with the exception of Tansy and Mallow who I felt blended in together a bit too much. Hopefully they’ll grow more and become their own in the next book...
Starlah
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Westworld meets The Handmaid’s Tale in this wild, wild west YA fantasy.

The story takes place in a wild west type of country called Arketta, where there are “welcome houses” where girls are sold and branded with cursed markings and forced into sex work. The girls are called Good Luck Girls because it is thought that since these girls are housed, fed, and regularly see a doctor, they are lucky. Despite the work they are forced to do.

The story kicks off when one of the Good Luck Girls accidentally
Jocelyn
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-five, ebooks, arc-s
~ 4.5 stars ~

Review

Go read this book right now. I’ll wait.

All right, now that you’re back let’s talk about how awesome The Good Luck Girls is. I picked it up one evening thinking I would read a couple chapters to get a feel for it, but then the next thing I knew it was the middle of the night and I was already halfway through the book. I really had to force myself to put it down at that point.

It was so engrossing from the get-go, immediately drawing me in. We went from one harrowing event
Mary
4.5
There is no way around this topic. Clementine accidentally murders a man on her first night as a prostitute in a Wild West brothel, her sister Astrid sees it as a means to escape their life as Good Luck Girls and with the help of another girl, Violet. They try to find Lady Ghost who can help them lose the distinctive neck tattoo that brands them as dustbloods, people who have had their shadows cut away, but now are born without one. They travel through the land, full of ghosts and bounty
TheNatashaReads
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
My rating: 4/5

Review:

Firstly, I would like to say that this book was an adventurous read. I love Charlotte Nicole Davis method of writing. It was an absolute page turner! The book kept me wanting to know more on how the characters fates would turn out.

Secondly, I love the characters in the book. Each characters have their own unique personality. It is written in Aster’s point of view, the main character. She is such a strong young woman that has been through a lot in her life. Her life story is
Bookphenomena (Micky)
This book has a curious context that has a fresh feel, slicing dystopia with an old time world, almost like a western. The start of the book was super strong for me with a compelling narrative that brought all my compassion to the surface. That strong start waned at times but this was a series starter that I will definitely finish.

What worked for me were the sisters (Aster and Clementine) and the group of young women, sometimes very polarised against one another, but with a common goal of
Diana
Oct 11, 2019 added it
I thought I would love this book, being told it was like "westworld" & "handmaid's tale", but at the end the comparision fell short.
I was intrigued by the first pages, where Clem kills a man to whom she has been sold to use as he sees fit, and then her sister Aster makes a plan to escape the pleasure house that has them captives.
Sounds great, right? Bunch of oppresed ladies uniting and empowering themselves, families found rather than born into, and a new world where the action is going on.
Kelsea
Aug 27, 2019 added it
Shelves: reviewed, arc
This isn't my usual style of read. I'm not big on historical fiction, though historical fantasy holds a bit more interest for me. And travel stories + any kind of prostitution in fantasy aren't my thing, so the combination of those factors made me a bit wary at first.

Then I saw that this is a Tor Teen title - which means interesting and diverse - and I read an excerpt on Bookish First that piqued my interest. Plus it's an own voices story. So despite my initial hesitation, I was excited to read
Bookish First Rea...: The Good Luck Girls 3 7 Oct 23, 2019 02:29PM

• The Pure Heart
  • War Girls (War Girls, #1)
  • Slay
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Deeplight
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • Full Disclosure
  • Spellhacker
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • Pet
  • Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)
  • Lady Hotspur
  • The Company of Eight

The Good Luck Girls (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Good Luck Girls, #2)